Comparing Harvin early years...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jake206

Reaction score
Its interesting to see the differences in how Harvin is utilized with Farve than with Ponder. For a reminder of what Farve looked like, check this out :[youtube]riIVgn9h9d0[/youtube]
Vintage Farve...triple coverage...so what.

Harvin's rookie year was the year that Farve literally force fed the offense through Harvin, because everyone else was getting injured. Also Farve seems to have left a lasting impression on Harvin at least when you read this 2009 ESPN article, he does...http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?page=hotread10/Percy Harvin. Notably Harvin brought up Farve's name several times when comparing Russell Wilson to a good NFL QB in today's press conference.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
This Tweet from Doug Farrar sums it up pretty well. Plus, it feeds my fan-ego for my beloved Seahawks, which I love.

SC_DougFarrar ‏@SC_DougFarrar
Percy Harvin QB mentions -- Brett Favre: about 10. Russell Wilson: about 500. Christian Ponder: About zeroooooo.

OP
OP
J

jake206

Reaction score
My impression of Harvin is he's a misunderstood ultra-competitive guy who expects the best from everyone including coaches/QBs. His standards are high and he expects everyone around him to be the best. Pretty stoked about this season.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
It seems to me like perhaps Harvin's problem with Ponder is that Ponder didn't have a work ethic close to Harvin's, and since he was a mediocre QB on the field, Harvin probably thought he should have been busting his ass to improve since he had a long ways to go.

If I'm a great talent in the NFL and my QB's not, and not working harder than anyone to correct that; then considering what the QB position is and how it's automatically a leadership position, I'd have contempt for my QB in that scenario, too.

You can't fault a guy who's just not that good if he's working his ASS off to try and get better, and just can't seem to. You can totally fault a guy if he's not that good and doesn't try super-hard to become good, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.