Florio speculates Sidney Rice may be released

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • You can't justify the Harvin trade if they cut Rice, which means that guy has no idea what he's talking about. That would mean Seattle essentially gave up a 1st, 7th, 2014 mid-round pick, Leon Washington and Sidney Rice to acquire Percy Harvin. They can't possibly be that stupid.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• The only way we get rid of Sidney is if we draft a big WR and he outplays Rice either in TC or during the year and he makes Rice expendable
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

• Like Missing_Clink said, it's hard to speculate cap ramifications without knowing how much we're paying Harvin, and how it's structured.

I can see us needing to restructure Rice or Miller after next year, but we don't have a ton of FA needing to be signed, lots of our draft picks probably won't make the team, and we're saving a TON of money at certain positions, as has also been mentioned.

If we're paying Harvin what he wants though, then yeah, it's logical speculation. That's just too much money tied up in Harvin, Rice, and Miller.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

• Florio is a complete Douche!! I deleted the PFT because I couldn't stand his speculatory crap. Plus, when he has an agenda, he is relentless about it in every post.
    FargoHawk
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

• Remember - cap now rolls over so cutting Rice today gives us room under the salary cap NEXT YEAR

I still don't think it happens and agree with DavidSeven then we gave up a first, fourth, seven and Rice for Harvin. There is trade value in Rice (I think :) )
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• volsunghawk wrote:Notice that the "source" only gives details about Rice's contract and doesn't suggest anything about the team's thinking on it. Florio's trying to drum up drama.

East Coast "Drama Queens" have nothing better to do than irresponsible speculation.
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Not this year. Some other year where we have to worry about some of our current rookie deals.
    We want the ball and we're gonna score.
    LawHawk
    NET Veteran

• I think that Sidney may be asked to restructure his deal but even if he says no, he may be able to survive for this season w/o facing the possibility of being cut.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to completely take the final step. That was done and the final step was taken.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons.

What a special magical year!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

• Rice wouldn't even be the first guy to get approached about his contract anyway. Thankfully, this is just empty speculation by Florio. No smoke, no fire.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• pinksheets wrote:Florio was also speculating that Percy Harvin's migraines were all fake earlier today.

Beat me to it. Florio's a schmuck. What he doesn't seem to care about is they have cap room THIS year. Rice and Miller's deals are much more cap friendly this year. If we're going all in to win now, it would be ridiculous to cut Rice. Look at his numbers with harvin and favre in minnesota.
    "If I were Tarvaris Jackson and Matt Flynn, I'd be leery of this kid because if you give him a chance, if you give him a chance and look past his 5 foot 11 or 5-10 and a half or whatever it is, if you give this kid a legitimate chance to win the job, he'll win it" - John Gruden
    mjwhitay
    NET Rookie

• pete just said (on siriusXM) they are adding, not moving anyone around or out
    bryantology79
    NET Starter

• Having 2 small starting receivers would be against the Carroll philosophy on offense. We have no big guy to take Rice's place if released, if he was you'd have to figure they already have another big guy targeted somewhere.
    razor150
    NET Veteran

• Why release him this season? What do we need the money for? Next off season re-evaluate maybe to resign Earl and Sherm but there's no point this year

Anyone want to make me a new signature? I've held out hope long enough.
    95% of the time I'm viewing here and/or posting is being done on a mobile device. Pardon any spelling, punctuation, or grammar mistakes.
    The Yugoslavian
    NET Veteran

• From AgentDib's post:

PK: Speculation people may be let go for salary, ripple effect.

PC: He's not taking anybody's spot, we're just adding guys in to get as many good players. We love what golden and sydney are doing for us, and those will be our top 4 and that is good news for us.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• bryantology79 wrote:pete just said (on siriusXM) they are adding, not moving anyone around or out

Here's the quote:

PC: One of our put out transcripts and I was raving about trying to stop him. He gets the ball so many ways and he is such a dangerous runner after the catch. They got it to him in a multitude of ways and one of the great things is that Bevell coached him into the league and respects the hell out of him. We're going to fit him and we have a really nice group with Sidney Rice, Golden Tate and Doug Baldwin. He does have some qualities - he carries the ball out of the backfield like a tailback and

Interviewer: Speculation people may be let go for salary, ripple effect.

PC: He's not taking anybody's spot, we're just adding guys in to get as many good players. We love what Golden and Sidney are doing for us, and those will be our top 4 and that is good news for us.

I guess we can lock this up now.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• The Yugoslavian wrote:Why release him this season? What do we need the money for? Next off season re-evaluate maybe to resign Earl and Sherm but there's no point this year

I guess it doesn't matter how many times it is said as people don't seem to get the concept. THE CAP SPACE ROLLS OVER TO NEXT YEAR!!!!!!!!!!

that would be what we need the money for.

With that said - PC stated today what we all think. Rice isn't going anywhere but this doesn't change the fact that every dollar saved today is available tomorrow
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• bryantology79 wrote:pete just said (on siriusXM) they are adding, not moving anyone around or out

Leon Washington must feel pretty confused by that statement
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

• Missing_Clink wrote:
    bryantology79 wrote:pete just said (on siriusXM) they are adding, not moving anyone around or out

I don't think he said it like that.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

• Missing_Clink wrote:
    bryantology79 wrote:pete just said (on siriusXM) they are adding, not moving anyone around or out

This interview took place after Leon was cut. The statement about not moving anyone else around came within the context of him discussing the top four receivers.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• Missing_Clink wrote:

sorry, pete meant receiver-wise. i had a sandwich in one hand and cheetos debris on the other when i was typing.
    bryantology79
    NET Starter

• FargoHawk wrote:Florio is a complete Douche!! I deleted the PFT because I couldn't stand his speculatory crap. Plus, when he has an agenda, he is relentless about it in every post.

Yep, he was so incensed about the "Fail Mary" that was all he talked about last season, to the point where he's got a post all about "The Impact of the Fail Mary" less than two hours after our 42-13 beatdown of the Niners.

His latest agenda is pushing for the Redskins to change their team name.
    Shadowhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• bryantology79 wrote:
    Missing_Clink wrote:

sorry, pete meant receiver-wise. i had a sandwich in one hand and cheetos debris on the other when i was typing.

Oh geez, there must be some interesting things growing on that keyboard!
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

• Florio is an idiot. Why would we do that when, in his last full season across from Harvin, Sidney had 1300 yards receiving. God, Florio is an idiot.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Horseshit.
    “We need to be challenged, ... and we need to be under the gun to respond.” --Pete Carroll
    nanomoz
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Florio is a dolt. Couldn't carry Adam Schefter's BlackBerry...
    So you're admitting I'm a celeb...
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

• Florio is either an idiot or a hater.
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

• If we release Rice, who would be one of our few big receivers that produces, then this trade starts to veer in the the stupid/foolish category.

I don't want this to be like the Vin Baker trade where we get some guy that we feel is a star with just a few problems, but that the cost of keeping means gutting a few players - players that turn out to be important. Any Seattle fans of any sport are probably conditioned to listen for the sound of the other shoe dropping...so maybe this is that.

But getting rid of Rice so that we can have a squadron of 4ft tall receivers does not sound wise.

I am already bothered we lost Leon, this would just grind it in.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• People talking about cuts in reaction to the Harvin trade don't take into account that trading Flynn and installing a decent backup QB at a backup's salary gives the Hawks a lot of bang for very few bucks at QB...

Makes sense to use a little of the cap space freed up by the QB bargain to give RW the best receiver corps they can get.

JMO/YMMV
    BadgerVid
    NET Bench Warmer

• I don't see that happening at all. Harvin likes him some Sid. This will be a reunion if anything and I'm looking forward to it.
    travlinhawk
    NET Starter

• Pete and Percy discussed how much they were looking forward to having Rice, Tate and Harvin out on the field at the same time next season, so I don't think he's going anywhere (not that I ever did think he was)
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Yeah don't see that happening right now.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• To me releasing Rice makes no sense
    MrNorseman
    NET Bench Warmer

• Guys, there are already direct statements from Carroll quoted in this thread confirming they are keeping Rice (and Tate and Baldwin).
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• Dude I would be pissed if we released Sydney Rice. I really hope he's just trying to conjure up something to write about out of thin air.
    bellingerga
    NET Veteran

• mikeak wrote:
    The Yugoslavian wrote:Why release him this season? What do we need the money for? Next off season re-evaluate maybe to resign Earl and Sherm but there's no point this year

I guess it doesn't matter how many times it is said as people don't seem to get the concept. THE CAP SPACE ROLLS OVER TO NEXT YEAR!!!!!!!!!!

that would be what we need the money for

I believe you are partially correct about that as some does but there are instant savings as well. Or else teams over the cap would be shit out of luck

95% of the time I'm viewing here and/or posting is being done on a mobile device. Pardon any spelling, punctuation, or grammar mistakes.
    The Yugoslavian
    NET Veteran

• I missed it. Whst did Tate say about the Harvin deal? Florio made it sound that Tate wasn't happy about it.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• Tate was asked by Josina Anderson of ESPN, and he said

When asked about the trade, Seahawks receiver Golden Tate, whose spot on the Seahawks' depth chart will be altered with the addition of Harvin, told Josina Anderson that "it's a business."

"The Seahawks are trying to do whatever they think is necessary to put together a Super Bowl quality team. If this is one of the steps they think works to accomplish that, then that's their choice. I don't think it will impact any of our work habits. We are still going to grind and let the cards play out the way that they will," he said.

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?w=1cp07& ... lot=1&wjb=

Doesn't seem too upset and I'm sure everything will be cool with Harvin is scoring points for us. Tate's a Seahawk he will be fine with this.

The Yugoslavian
    NET Veteran

• The Yugoslavian wrote:Tate was asked by Josina Anderson of ESPN, and he said

When asked about the trade, Seahawks receiver Golden Tate, whose spot on the Seahawks' depth chart will be altered with the addition of Harvin, told Josina Anderson that "it's a business."

"The Seahawks are trying to do whatever they think is necessary to put together a Super Bowl quality team. If this is one of the steps they think works to accomplish that, then that's their choice. I don't think it will impact any of our work habits. We are still going to grind and let the cards play out the way that they will," he said.

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?w=1cp07& ... lot=1&wjb=

Doesn't seem too upset and I'm sure everything will be cool with Harvin is scoring points for us. Tate's a Seahawk he will be fine with this.

Much ado. Florio made it seem worse. I think it will make him better as Harvin will command the attention. Tate will ine up against the third corner in modt cases.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• Good God, someone kill this stupid thread already! It keeps popping back up to the top of the list when it's pathetically unrealistic. Unless of course people just want to gripe about Florio.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• I don't think he will, if you are suggesting he will be in the slot in 3 wide sets that is. I'm assuming it will be Harvin & Rice in two wide and Tate Harvin (slot) Rice in 3 wide.

The Yugoslavian
    NET Veteran

• Um...No. AT least I hope not. Not this year. He was healthy enough last year and made some big plays. I don't think we go out there with just Baldwin, Tate, and Harvin. We need Rice's big plays.
    hawkmanj
    NET Starter

• What do you suppose Florios' conduit to this insider information
    that nobody else seems to have could be?

Sometimes I think these guys just throw something out there to
    see how much they can shake the tree.
    two dog
    NET Veteran

• CANHawk wrote:Florio is a dolt. Couldn't carry Adam Schefter's BlackBerry...

What's a blackberry?

I agree with the consensus. Eventually, but not now.
    rjdriver
    NET Veteran

• Hawks wouldn't be smart to release Rice. He's to big a play maker and would compliment Harvin nicely. Match up nightmare for other teams if we keep him along with harvin, tate, Baldwin, miller, lynch. That's a crazy list.
    Seattle Patriots
    NET Bench Warmer

• SmokinHawk wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:I don't see it.

But we shall see.

Sadly, I do. He's getting paid a lot of money for middling production. He's good for stretching the field but his play style makes him an injury risk (he falls down hard after almost every catch), and Golden Tate is establishing himself as the bigger threat. Much as I'd love to see Harvin, Rice, and Golden on the field together, it seems likely that Rice is the odd man out.

'Sadly,' I think this post is over-dramatc and exhibits a narrow-mined view of how the offense evolved as the season progressed. Kinda 'sad' actually. He 'fell' soft enough to stay injury-free all of last season, so yeah, I can see where that's a hugh problem.

Who needs play makers anyhow when we have GT with his single, modestly-productive season. And Sid should have hooked up more often wth RW, cuz it's not like they were only working with 1/3 the reps they would normally get in preseason.

Maybe I should just mind meld with a mediot so I won't have to bore myself with all the details. This has been very enlightning. Thank you much.
    Last edited by HawKnPeppa on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

• rjdriver wrote:
    CANHawk wrote:Florio is a dolt. Couldn't carry Adam Schefter's BlackBerry...

What's a blackberry?

Must be a typo. Only bruthas have them fruit.
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:02 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information