Why is Desmond Bryant worth getting?

Seahawksfan425

Reaction score
Sorry if there was a thread already but where is all this love for Desmond Bryant coming from? I'm not knocking him down or anything I just don't know much about him. How can he be an improvement over Jason Jones or Alan Branch and what kind of player is he? If anyone has any information I'd like to know since this board seems so in love with him :)

McGruff

Reaction score
IMO he's a fulltime player somewhere in between Branch and Jones. And he's young and improving. 9 sacks in two years from the DT position is solid production and he's not going to kill you against the run.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Don't know too much about him honestly, other than he seems to fit the mould of what we need at the position and looks like a 3 down guy. If he comes cheap enough, I'd love to see him come on over and comPete.

McGruff

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2sjsfmyx said:
Because he's the best player available with a skill set of what we badly need. Inside pass rush.

What they said . . .

kearly

Reaction score
Scott loves him. Also mentioned that Bryant was 5th among all DTs last year in PFF's rankings.

I hate mindlessly borrowing other's opinions, but since Scott likes him so much, I'm willing to go along.

two dog

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":320sqa4b said:
he's a Harvard grad

Isn't "Ivy League defensive tackle" kind of an oxymoron?
I understand there is somewhat of a bidding war for his services.
Five or so teams, including "Hawks, like him.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Why do we want him? Have you recently looked at the actual depth chart and noticed who is left now that FA has begun? The team needs to acquire or re-up at least 3 DTs this offseason. Besides, he will get better at life b/c he is smart

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
He's a development guy who blossomed at the tail end of last year when given the opportunity to start due to Seymour's injury.

He's been a situational player with modest success prior to that. From a measurables standpoint, he's built himself up physically to play the 3.

Signing him, means betting on a short track record of success. But the market is barren of guys with his talent. So it's good timing for him. It's a good sign that he's developed into a quality 3 tech pass rusher. Guy knows how to work.

He was tendered a high offer last year, so despite the fact that he wasn't a featured starter, Oakland thought highly of him. From reading Raiders fan thoughts on him, they are genuinely sad to lose him. It's not a shock that Oakland still wants to resign him.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
McGruff":1qz1ejf9 said:
IMO he's a fulltime player somewhere in between Branch and Jones. And he's young and improving. 9 sacks in two years from the DT position is solid production and he's not going to kill you against the run.

Well put.

He is tall (6'6"), big (311), and has low miles. He can get to the QB, can play 3 downs, and fits what we do.

I would still go after a leaner pass rush 3 tech in the draft.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Raiders just cleared a bunch of cap space by cutting Heyward Bay and others. Wonder if thats to try and bring Bryant back?

Rat

Reaction score
He's pretty good, but I think a lot of his appeal is that he's seen as a bargain type free agent. Unfortunately, all his recent mentions will likely drive that price up to the point where he's no longer a bargain.

Sac

Reaction score
I've been clamoring for Desmond Bryant since the season ended. This dude is big, fast, strong, long and smart. He went to Harvard on an academic scholarship and has been busting his butt on a team that perpetually sucks. Being able to stay motivated while playing for the Raiders speaks volumes to me about his character and work ethic.

On the football field he gets decent production sack wise but he also gets a ton more pressures and does a good job collapsing the pocket, forcing opposing quarterbacks out of their rhythm. He's young and hungry, and hopefully he wants to leave that craphole in Oakland and come to a serious contender.

BallHawk

Reaction score
Going to the Browns

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk
Desmond Bryant will sign with the Browns, per league source.
Retweeted by Adam Caplan

hawkfan68

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":2ns48hrb said:
I've been clamoring for Desmond Bryant since the season ended. This dude is big, fast, strong, long and smart. He went to Harvard on an academic scholarship and has been busting his butt on a team that perpetually sucks. Being able to stay motivated while playing for the Raiders speaks volumes to me about his character and work ethic.

On the football field he gets decent production sack wise but he also gets a ton more pressures and does a good job collapsing the pocket, forcing opposing quarterbacks out of their rhythm. He's young and hungry, and hopefully he wants to leave that craphole in Oakland and come to a serious contender.

Smart? He may be book smart but his latest indiscretion lead me to believe he's got some work to do on life smarts. Getting behind a wheel when you've been drinking is not a "smart" decision.