kearly wrote:I think Minnesota won the trade more than we did. A #25 pick in a year where the 25th pick is almost as good as the 5th pick is, plus a 7th and a future mid rounder ("likely a 3rd"). Plus all the cap space saved. This is also a ridiculously loaded draft for WR. All of this for a player that had they kept him would have held out, played the minimum, and then left in 2014. This is a HUGE win for the Vikings, on par with the epic win the 49ers got when trading Smith.
From our end, I think the trade was worth it, but at an extremely heavy cost. So overall, I'd say that I'm supportive of the trade and I'm very excited to have Harvin in our offense, but I wouldn't have personally made it myself. Schefter hinted at Harvin getting close to $16 million per. If that's $13 or $14 million, factored with the draft pick cost, it's like trading 3 or 4 good players for Harvin. So he'd need to be King Shit for us just to break even. I think he will be, and Seattle is at a place on their roster where 1 elite player means way more than 1 good player since our roster is so incredibly good right now. Still, I think we did okay, I think they did outstanding. Win-win, but they won more than we did, IMO.
This is kind of where I'm at. Minnesota did well and their fans should be very happy. There are a lot of wide receivers in this draft and they might be able to come away with Tavon Austin and Justin Hunter or a similar pair that would really improve their receiving corp.
For me though, the 25th pick in itself isn't bad, except that we need DL so bad and if Jarvis Jones falls to 25 because of his stenosis, I'll be really upset. I love Corey Lemonier and I have a feeling he'll be long gone by the time we pick in the 2nd. Add to that, if Percy is given a huge contract and we start losing some key parts of the Legion of Boom because of it, I'll be really upset.
A lot of how this turns out is dependent upon luck. If Percy stays healthy throughout the season and doesn't take a big hit over the middle, that will be a plus. If Percy doesn't demand Calvin Johnson money (one rumor is that he used that as a bargaining ploy to get out of Minne) and we are able to sign our own over the next 1 to 3 years, that will be a good thing. If we get a great defensive lineman at 58, that will be yet another huge bonus.
The Viking fans have every reason to be happy, they got a first, a seventh and a 3/4 round pick for someone that may have held out and might be gone next year. They can turn those picks in to 3 players that they will have for the next 3 plus years.
Seahawks fans like me on the other hand are cautiously optimistic. A lot will depend on the contract. Listening to Hill and Schlereth today, Mark Schlereth said "10% of the players get 90% of the money and the other 10% has to be split up between the remaining 90% of the players." IMAHO, that's no way to run a team, and no way to win a Superbowl.
I hope Percy was just trying to force his way out of Minnesota and doesn't really want Larry Fitzgerald money, but instead just wants to play on a contender and for a coach that is fun to play for.