UPDATE: Seahawks traded for Percy Harvin

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    Thunderhawk wrote:Deion Branch Trade 2.0

The similarities between the two acquisitions are eerie.

1) Production - has not produced like a true #1 WR. Look at the stats.
    2) Injury Risk
    3) Malcontent
    4) Size - below average. Hawks needed to get bigger at WR.
    5) Salary - wants #1 WR money even though he has not earned it.

Other than #3 this looks like the Branch trade all over again. We got fleeced on this deal. If Harvin is worth a first rounder plus change then Megatron is worth 5 first rounders plus 25 million a year.

Meanwhile, Reggie Bush was available for free, would cost less and is basically Harvin-lite. Utterly bizarre trade.

Harvin is about as similar to Deion Branch as I am.

The compensation is what I am referring to based on over-paying for an overrated player with issues. Obviously Branch and Harvin are different players. The point is that neither was worth what we paid.
    "It was so loud Derrick Coleman heard it."
    Thunderhawk
    NET Veteran

• no way.. tate and harvin are redundant... most of the time harvin will be lining up on the outside along with rice.. baldwin is better suited for the slot position.. im sure harvin will line up there at times.. but tate is absolutely a poor mans harvin... we wont be able to pay him when his contract comes up they will attempt to get some value out of him before he just ends up leaving for free agency..

Tate will more than likely remain on the outside with rice, Harvin will play the slot would be my guess , OBi's gone, baldwin will hang around, i think leons roll will be reduced in the ST, not sure how much they want to risk injury to Harvin returning balls... but i think there's no way Tate is going anywhere....
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• redhawk253 wrote:
    mikeak wrote:
    sc85sis wrote:I don't see this as meaning an end to Tate. Harvin is a situational guy who Pete and Bevell will likely want to use in multiple ways all over the field. Get him in space, and it's all over for the opposing defense. Tate will still likely be the number two, full time receiver.

This could be goodbye to Leon though.

You don't spend first, seventh and conditional fourth for a situational guy. He will be a #1 receiver lined up on most offensive possessions

yup.. there ya go.. someone with some sense.. with what we are giving up for him and have to assume we're paying him... its plain as day.

That doesn't mean he lines up outside the majority of the time.

Harvin will line up outside occasionally and in the slot and the backfield quite a bit. Tate will be adversely affected on 2 WR sets, probably, but Baldwin will be the one who sees the biggest drop off in snaps.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• General Manager wrote:So we gave up a first round pick for Harvin . My question is is it this years 25 it probably is but i haven't heard for sure yet. It was a first round pick though says JC.

Not officially out there but 1st and 7th this year. 4th conditional next year
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• Thunderhawk wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:

2) Injury Risk
    3) Malcontent

Other than #3 this looks like the Branch trade all over again. We got fleeced on this deal. If Harvin is worth a first rounder plus change then Megatron is worth 5 first rounders plus 25 million a year.

Meanwhile, Reggie Bush was available for free, would cost less and is basically Harvin-lite. Utterly bizarre trade.

The compensation is what I am referring to based on over-paying for an overrated player with issues. Obviously Branch and Harvin are different players. The point is that neither was worth what we paid.

If you just took Percy away from the Vikes and threw him into the draft pool as he is, where do you think he goes in this draft?
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• For those saying that this means Tate is gone, keep in mind that dollar figures aren't assigned to specific spots on the field.

Put Rice, Harvin, and Tate on the field at the same time and consider how much of a headache that causes for DCs. Not to mention Miller and Lynch.

And when we go 4 wide, then you add Baldwin to the mix.

This improves the entire WR corps, and the versatility that Harvin and Tate BOTH bring makes them matchup nightmares.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• Thunderhawk wrote:Deion Branch Trade 2.0

2) Injury Risk
    3) Malcontent

I agree, I think we overpaid here. There will be multiple recievers we could have taken with our first rounder and that pick wouldn't cost nearly as much as Percy Harvin. Plus we lost a fourth and seventh round pick. I'm not saying he doesn't bring value to the team because he does but he has been a malcontent elsewhere(plus injury risk) and wants way too much money imo.
    I really feel like we overpaid for this guy.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

2) Injury Risk
    3) Malcontent

Deion Branch was made by NE's offense and Tom Brady. In Minnesota Harvin had Christian Ponder and Tarvaris Jackson throwing the ball to him. Bit of a difference there. Not to mention the fact that Harvin is 3 years younger than Branch was and a million times more explosive. The only similarities you got right are WR & 1st rounder pick.
    Last edited by SeaTown81 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

2) Injury Risk
    3) Malcontent

\

I'm not even gonna continue reading your comparisons because Deion Branch was a pure outside possession receiver who flourished with Tom Brady throwing to him. Harvin was MVP candidate with Christian Ponder lining up all over the field. Do you really think our GM who LOVES draft picks would throw his highest one away for a question mark?

We just became the team to beat in the NFC West IMO.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

• Thunderhawk wrote:2) Injury Risk

He has only missed 3 games in his entire career.

Also every player is "Injury Risk". We just dont look at it this way because the team was lucky in that department last season.

I mean Clemons wasnt suppose to be at risk of injury and neither was Marshawn or big red.
    Axx
    NET Veteran

• Natethegreat wrote:

2) Injury Risk
    3) Malcontent

I agree, I think we overpaid here. There will be multiple recievers we could have taken with our first rounder and that pick wouldn't cost nearly as much as Percy Harvin. Plus we lost a fourth and seventh round pick. I'm not saying he doesn't bring value to the team because he does but he has been a malcontent elsewhere(plus injury risk) and wants way too much money imo.

So you take a receiver with #25 and just pray you luck out and he turns out to be as good as Percy Harvin?
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• I wonder if this happens if Darrell Bevell leaves here for the Cardinals job?

Obviously he vouched for him or PC/JS wouldn't have pulled the trigger.
    WE ALL WE GOT! WE ALL WE NEED!
    Hawksfanatik
    NET Veteran

• Thunderhawk wrote:

You are pretty much the only person who doesn't agree with the compensation.

Percy was easily worth what we traded for him. We aren't trading for his production with the Vikings, we are trading for what his production will be here with Russell Wilson. He is a matchup nightmare, more so with us than in Minny.
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

• Hawksfanatik wrote:I wonder if this happens if Darrell Bevell leaves here for the Cardinals job?

Obviously he vouched for him or PC/JS wouldn't have pulled the trigger.

Good thing the Cardinals fell for the ESPN trap and Bruce Arians.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• mikeak wrote:
    sc85sis wrote:I don't see this as meaning an end to Tate. Harvin is a situational guy who Pete and Bevell will likely want to use in multiple ways all over the field. Get him in space, and it's all over for the opposing defense. Tate will still likely be the number two, full time receiver.

You don't spend first, seventh and conditional fourth for a situational guy. He will be a #1 receiver lined up on most offensive possessions

He's situational as a pure WR. Think Reggie Bush but as a wideout instead of coming from the RB side of things. He'll line up wide, in the slot, as a RB, as a returner. Yes, he'll see the field a lot, but he won't have to be used as a straight forward WR who is taking Tate's spot.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• sorry harvin buddy.. but theres no amount of money you can give me for my number! you're gona have to find a new one!

12 is for the fans!

(did this really need to be merged...)
    Last edited by redhawk253 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
    redhawk253
    NET Rookie

• I'd even give up the #12 if he wants to keep wearing it. (although I would have given it up for Josh Portis if he wanted to wear it too).
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• LOL.. well what about 10k to each season ticket holder? :)
    WE ALL WE GOT! WE ALL WE NEED!
    Hawksfanatik
    NET Veteran

• I love the move. I stand corrected, i thought Harvin had missed a lot more games. Were going to see a lot more 4 and 5 receiver sets next year. Hooooo weee!!
    "God Bless Russell Wilson"
    Chukarhawk
    NET Veteran

• pinksheets wrote:
    Natethegreat wrote:

2) Injury Risk
    3) Malcontent

So you take a receiver with #25 and just pray you luck out and he turns out to be as good as Percy Harvin?

Do you really think Percy Harvin is worth 10 mil a year(plus our first, seventh and fourth next year)? Especially considering how much we are paying currently for Rice and Miller? I would have loved to pick up Tavon, Steadman Baily(second round) or Swope (third) and pay their rookie salaries than pick up Percy Harvin.
    Last edited by Natethegreat on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

• Thunderhawk wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:

2) Injury Risk
    3) Malcontent

54 games in 3 years, with 29 touchdowns. never less than 60 receptions. An immediate mismatch for all linebackers and safeties, and most corners.

You simply aren't looking at this like Pete. Is Harvin a prototype build? Nope. So what are his unique skills? nose for the end zone. quick and fast. great hands. extreme toughness and a good blocker.

And who at pick 25 was going to be a better pickup?
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Rumor out there on Twitter that the Vikings' #52 overall may also be involved, but that's not substantiated from anything I could find. At any rate, this is a good move for us. 1. We weren't going to find a Percy Harvin caliber WR with the #25 pick in the draft. 2. We have the ability to pay a large contract now because several star players at other positions are receiving less than they're worth. 3. Harvin is not injury prone, nor a huge locker room cancer. And he's young enough not to be simply another washed up player traded late in his career.

This is a great move for us, and one that will put us firmly in contention to win it all this year.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• As for the compensation, I think it's pretty much appropriate.

Harvin's definitely worth a 1st rounder. The 7th rounder is ammunition right now - no more or less. Consider how stacked our roster is right now... the chances of a 7th rounder making the 53 is a hell of a lot lower this coming year than it was in previous seasons. The mid-rounder next year night have turned into another Richard Sherman, but also might have turned into another E.J. Wilson.

What we do know is that Harvin is one of the most dangerous weapons in the league when healthy, and he's about to be ours on a long-term deal.

My biggest concern, really, is what his contract will look like and how it might affect re-signing some of our key guys in a couple of seasons.

volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• If anyone's interested, here's a piece on the pro's and con's: http://seahawksdraftblog.com/seahawks-t ... rcy-harvin

"Carroll and Schneider want unique players. Difference makers. Playmakers on both sides of the ball that possess rare qualities that you just don’t find every year in the draft. Harvin doesn’t just fit the bill, he’s the poster boy. There isn’t another Percy Harvin in the league. There isn’t another Percy Harvin in this draft class. That’s why he fits in Seattle.

Then there’s the other side of Percy Harvin…

His fall out with Minnesota was ugly. Very ugly."
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• Natethegreat wrote:
    Do you really think Percy Harvin is worth 10 mil a year(plus our first, seventh and fourth next year)? Especially considering how much we are paying currently for Rice and Miller? I would have loved to pick up Tavon, Steadman Baily(second round) or Swope (third) and pay their rookie salaries than pick up Percy Harvin.

Yes, Percy is a special talent and whoever drafts Tavon will be lucky if turns out to be as good as Harvin in the NFL.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• JSeahawks wrote:I'd even give up the #12 if he wants to keep wearing it. (although I would have given it up for Josh Portis if he wanted to wear it too).

Don't players generally compensate those who have the number they want? What would he do, buy us all who have a 12 jersey dinner?

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• sc85sis wrote:
    mikeak wrote:

He's situational as a pure WR. Think Reggie Bush but as a wideout instead of coming from the RB side of things. He'll line up wide, in the slot, as a RB, as a returner. Yes, he'll see the field a lot, but he won't have to be used as a straight forward WR who is taking Tate's spot.

So where he lines up is situational but he is not situation as a player. You don't play him just on passing downs or something. He can be used differently isn't represented by saying that he is a situational player. This isn't splitting hairs

I agree that he will be lined up differently and his speed will be used. This will be fun and I think there is room for Tate as well my point was simply he will play almost all offensive snaps.

I really doubt using him as a returner - you don't risk it with a key guy but maybe I am wrong we shall see
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• 4th and 7th rnder wasnt goin to make the team anyway... and losing the 1st rnder, well it keeps us safe from another james carpenter pick!!! one way to look at it.

i figured we were targeting tavon austin and realized we werent going to get him so we did next best thing and went after a proven product!! i love the move and feel we all overhyped baldwin, granted hes a good slot but hes not a dynamic playmaker!!! we need wr to gain seperation and harvin is one!!!
    kendog2639
    NET Starter

• Important to note: The trade is contingent upon us signing him to a long term deal. My guess is 5 years 48 million.

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

• The last time we had a 25 we picked Carp.... I'm going with the safe bet even at the price he is a playmaker
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

• kidhawk wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:I'd even give up the #12 if he wants to keep wearing it. (although I would have given it up for Josh Portis if he wanted to wear it too).

Don't players generally compensate those who have the number they want? What would he do, buy us all who have a 12 jersey dinner?

I'd settle for giving us a Superbowl win.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• I really hope he doesn't have the same attitude issues here as he did with Minneapolis. I'm sure the higher compensation will help, but the character concerns are still a problem for me.

That said, if this pans out like we all hope and pray, Seattle's going to be ridiculous next year. I can't believe the 49ers didn't overbid Seattle.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• lukerguy wrote:Important to note: The trade is contingent upon us signing him to a long term deal. My guess is 5 years 48 million.

Heh, no. That compensation isn't going to be under $10M a year.

volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• kendog2639 wrote:4th and 7th rnder wasnt goin to make the team anyway... and losing the 1st rnder, well it keeps us safe from another james carpenter pick!!! one way to look at it.

!!!

True because we don't have any players from the 4th through 7th round not only on the team but stars on the team.... :sarcasm_off:

I do agree with the 7th rounder :) - mostly because of the low chance
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• Carroll has been saying for a while it's going to be hard for draft picks to make the team from here on out. Why not limit the risk from the draft bringing in someone that could be an all-pro in our system? Isn't that point of draft picks? To get your team players?
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

• Damn...I thought there would be more excitement regarding this news. I haven't stopped smiling since I found out about the trade.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

What number will Harvin wear?
Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:04 am
  • He can't have 12.

. . Unless he helps us win a superbowl. Then he can have it, no arguments from me.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

• I like the move Harvin is a bigtime WR on an Offense that dropped 50+ a couple times last year. I was really looking forward to Ogletree as a Seahawk but in reality he wasn't lasting to 25 anyway .
    General Manager
    NET Veteran

• OMGOMGOMG! WOW!

Tate AND Harvin, being all scrappy and dangerous out there!? It's like having the Gronk and Hernandez double threat, except shorter, quicker, faster, wilier, and wider out. Holy crap, I can't think straight, this is crazy exciting. My brain is buzzing. I know this:

Percy's gonna need a new number.

I hope Leon's still around. The kickoff ain't what it used to be, but damn, if we could have Percy Harvin AND Leon Washington back there for kicks & punts...
    HawkAroundTheClock
    NET Veteran

• personally i was really starting to hope that the mock drafts from those draft pundits on espn could hopefully be right for once.. bjorn woerner is going to be a poor mans jj watt... wish we could have him.
    redhawk253
    NET Rookie

• I absolutely LOVE the compensation to the Vikings. Will withhold the decision on how I feel about his monetary compensation until we see what his deal is. I do believe it will be fine, but that's a wait and see.

As far as the draft picks go, you have to look at Harvin and the draft as what his value would be. Where would you pick a guy like this if he's available? He is likely to go top 5, and top 10 for sure. I basically figure we just paid a 7th rounder and a mid round next year to move up 15 -20 spots in the first round and in way you slice it, THAT is a good deal.

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• JSeahawks wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:I'd even give up the #12 if he wants to keep wearing it. (although I would have given it up for Josh Portis if he wanted to wear it too).

I'd settle for giving us a Superbowl win.

X... :th2thumbs: :thirishdrinkers:
    Why is it when I try to come off as a smart ass, the opposite happens? :-(
    grizbob
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Location: Born in Oakharbor, raised in the west, sentenced to life in St George

• redhawk253 wrote:personally i was really starting to hope that the mock drafts from those draft pundits on espn could hopefully be right for once.. bjorn woerner is going to be a poor mans jj watt... wish we could have him.

Bjorn Woerner will be a top 5 pick.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• JSeahawks wrote:
    redhawk253 wrote:personally i was really starting to hope that the mock drafts from those draft pundits on espn could hopefully be right for once.. bjorn woerner is going to be a poor mans jj watt... wish we could have him.

Bjorn Woerner will be a top 5 pick.

But the mock drafts!
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• Harvin has missed what, three games?

He has had some issues on the sideline, but that is because he is ultra competative. I think he will fit in very well here with a bunch of other guys that are busting their ass every single snap.

This move makes us the best in the NFC, in my opinion. It may even make niners make a trade for Revis
    TheLargentLine
    NET Rookie

• Haha, wow. That's a dang good move there guys.

Can I come watch practice with you guys? Seeing Harvin vs. Browner/Sherman will be amazing. They should start charging to see that or put it on PPV. :th2thumbs:
    Last edited by IronSaint on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
    :les: Image :les:

pehawk wrote:I have a boner, right now, as I type this.
    IronSaint
    NET Starter

• Well if this goes thru the seahawks will have the most dynamic offense in the division if not the entire NFL but there will be some collateral damage in the form of players being cut in my opinion now and later. i can see them letting leon washington go for sure maybe sidney rice or golden tate so we will probably see one of our main weapons possibly getting the boot unless they take a big pay cut becuase they have alot of money on that side of the ball. But the offense is not like the defense were a big name big contract could mess up the dynamic of the unit i think but who knows, Harvin is young and his best days should be ahead of him. If the hawks do make this trade there a still plenty of picks and i think they shold be used more on the defensive side of the ball and still pick up richard seymour then I think its Super Bowl or bust for the seahawks.
    Lynch Mob
    NET Veteran

• volsunghawk wrote:
    lukerguy wrote:Important to note: The trade is contingent upon us signing him to a long term deal. My guess is 5 years 48 million.

Heh, no. That compensation isn't going to be under $10M a year.

$40 million guaranteed then he goes under $10 million / year

$5 million guaranteed then heck no

Both extremes just pointing out that it isn't just about the millions per year. Remember no income tax in Washington and it is 7-8% in Minnesota and the amount of guaranteed will impact the final number. Finally if I was a financially smart player I would take more now as signing bonus over long drawn out guaranteed money. Simply because tax code for millionairs is changing annually right now....

$30 million guaranteed I see the 5 year $48 million as about right
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• pinksheets wrote:
    If you just took Percy away from the Vikes and threw him into the draft pool as he is, where do you think he goes in this draft?

He wouldn't get out of the top five, according to Field Gulls.
    DOES THE NATIONAL MEDIA WANT THE SEAHAWKS TO IMPLODE?
    http://cover32.com/seahawks/2014/10/29/ ... o-implode/
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:35 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information