Can we please get Revis? Pretty please??

FreshlySnipes

Reaction score
It would be so dope to have sherm and Revis. I think it would play well also because they would consistently be trying to out perform each other and feed off that.

pinksheets

Reaction score
At what point is there a level of diminishing returns, though?

I just don't see too many instances where making sure you've got an elite shutdown corner to cover a team's #2 is the best use of our resources.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
No secondary can succeed in this league without a pass rush, mediocre QBs can pick good secondaries apart if they have all day to throw. All Revis would be is a expensive distraction that ensures we can't upgrade the pass rush and improve as a defense.

kearly

Reaction score
pinksheets":37e8vbgs said:
At what point is there a level of diminishing returns, though?

I just don't see too many instances where making sure you've got an elite shutdown corner to cover a team's #2 is the best use of our resources.

Are you creating diminishing returns or synergy? Considering the absurdly low passer ratings of passes that target Revis and Sherman, I lean towards the synergy angle, just like how two great WRs make each other even better. I think this is especially true when you consider that even our would be 3rd and 4th corners (Browner, Thurmond) are pretty damn good themselves, so passes targeting #3 and #4 receivers probably wouldn't be so hot either.

Lady Talon":37e8vbgs said:
No secondary can succeed in this league without a pass rush, mediocre QBs can pick good secondaries apart if they have all day to throw. All Revis would be is a expensive distraction that ensures we can't upgrade the pass rush and improve as a defense.

Those aren't necessarily mutually exclusive things. You can probably trade for Revis and still improve, perhaps greatly improve, the pass rush.

The Yugoslavian

Reaction score
Hmmm upgrading our #1 strength at the cost of picks, players, 15% of our cap, and a headache every two years when he wants a new deal? Not to mention with Sherman on the team it would be contract battles every of season between the two. No thanks. Browner is way better than just okay.

chris98251

Reaction score
Trading for Revis is like trying to trade for Aaron Rodgers in my opinion. How many would do that?

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Lady Talon":3878dro9 said:
That's just not true.

I highly doubt we are getting Revis but if we did our D would be greatly improved.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
chris98251":cf8jo6xp said:
Trading for Revis is like trying to trade for Aaron Rodgers in my opinion. How many would do that?
How?

jman316

Reaction score
If CB was a glaring area of need, I would be drooling over the prospects of adding Revis. However, I can't shake the "Madden" feel of this potential trade.

I'd rather use the FA allotment that has been set aside to upgrade our interior pass rush and perhaps add another on the edge. Head into the draft with the mindset of drafting the best player on the board and continue building our burgeoning dynasty.

Now if Revis is the player that help the Seahawks win their first SuperBowl, it makes the argument moot, albeit post facto. As Kearly said in his thread, does the risk outweigh the reward? Call it West Coast bias, but in this case, I just don't see the acquisition of Revis being worth the potential cost.

GO HAWKS!!

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
We can't have both Sherman and Revis, and still keep the core of the team together. We just can't.

It looks nice now when guys like Thomas, Chancellor, Sherman, Browner, Tate, Wilson, Wagner etc. are all playing for peanuts (comparitively). It won't look nice when we can't keep all of those guys in a few years.

And you have to remember, we are going to be adding MEGA, MEGA bucks when Wilson and Sherman get their next deals. They will be structured cap friendly at first, but they are still going to be expensive. It's not too soon to start planning for that by being ultra smart with the cap, which they are.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
While getting Revis would be a nice dream, IMO, a more realistic option would be Sean Smith. I think Smith is extremely underrated plus he's a FA currently. He wouldn't demand the $$$ that Revis does (at least at this point). He's 25 6'3 215 and is a press corner (much like Sherman). Browner can be moved to safety or nickel and Kam to OLB.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
So do you want him for a 1 year rental? Or who do you want to forgo re-signing? Sherman? Okung? Thomas? Chancellor? We will not be able to keep the young talent we have if we go and get guys like Revis. It is going to be nearly impossible to keep them all even if we don't make any big additions

chris98251

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":3g1n3z9l said:
chris98251":3g1n3z9l said:
How?

You already have a elite group of DB's and Browner does the physical dirtywork for that group at a lower cost. Swapping a cover guy for a physical guy when you have your cover guy in Sherman on the other side already isn't adding a lot except cost. With Wilson here already and growing and being more Mobile would we gain anything by bringing in Rodgers except some experience and higher cost is what I was referring to.

The money if spent would be much better applied to a pass ruhs which would help all 4 of our secondary guys versus trying to swap one guy out that doesn't bring any more of an advantage then we already have. Don't discount the physical presence of Browner and how he takes away one guy by just locking him up most plays.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Not really like adding Aaron Rodgers since only 1 QB can be on the field at the same time. But I'd say it's like adding another #1 type LT would be a better comparison. Have 1 shut down QB is nice to match up with teams #1 WR's but most teams don't have 2 #1 WR's requiring a need for 2 #1 CB's. Same as most teams have 1 really good DE you could put a great LT at RT but the value is just not there, you dont' need to brick wall OT's to have sucess.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
chris98251":1z8m16dj said:
Hawkfan77":1z8m16dj said:
chris98251":1z8m16dj said:
How?

You already have a elite group of DB's and Browner does the physical dirtywork for that group at a lower cost. Swapping a cover guy for a physical guy when you have your cover guy in Sherman on the other side already isn't adding a lot except cost. With Wilson here already and growing and being more Mobile would we gain anything by bringing in Rodgers except some experience and higher cost is what I was referring to.

The money if spent would be much better applied to a pass ruhs which would help all 4 of our secondary guys versus trying to swap one guy out that doesn't bring any more of an advantage then we already have. Don't discount the physical presence of Browner and how he takes away one guy by just locking him up most plays.
But we play more than 2 CBs on the field quite a bit and yet we only play 1 QB at any time.

And no one is discounting Browner. But adding Revis makes us better

chris98251

Reaction score
No it doesn't, part of our success is the physicality that we bring and intimidation. Browner brings that in a lot of areas. Finesse has it's place but when a guy is looking around to protect his butt. The Boom Squad makes it's living on being hitters. Revis isn't physical, also who do we dump to take on his one and done contract, we will not sign him for 14 million a year.

mikeak

Reaction score
I think Revis makes us better without a doubt but no way we should trade for him

Cap is $130 million. Revis wants what $15M / year so that is 11.5% of the cap on a CB? Then next year Sherman would require a deal that matched or was higher than what Revis got so now you would be spending about 23% of the cap on the two corners and the year after that RW may be looking at a minimum $15M / year - you would 2 years from now be spending 35% of your whole cap on those three guys.......

By not signing Revis we are likelier to get some kind of Seahawks discount by Sherman. That goes out the window if we sign another star CB on top of that it is not the place to spend our whole cap space.

With the new CBA in place getting guys out of the draft is the key to building and maintaining a dynasty. If you go after stars in FA you get one or two in a spot where you are WEAK not your core strenght area