Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Post subject: Unfortunate event
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:17 am 
NET Practice Squad

Last week a Federal Corrections Officer was killed by an inmate. As news is unfolding about this, I just read the following article which identifies him as a die-hard Seahawks fan. I mention this because there is the chance that he was a member on this board. If any knew him I am sure you were better for it.

http://citizensvoice.com/news/nanticoke-corrections-officer-killed-by-inmate-1.1450628

Post subject: Re: Unfortunate event
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:58 am 
NET Veteran

As someone who is in the same field, and age my condolences go out to this man and his family. Good men are lost all the time due to understaffed jails and prisons. Its a sad thing when budget cuts and saving a buck outweighs the safety of the men who put there lives on the line to keep our streets safe. God bless this family from my family and a fellow 12th man!

Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:01 am 
* NET Radish *

We have some Erics as members, hope this wasn't one of them. All you Erics check in please.

But Member or no, what a sad ending.

:les:

Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:08 am 
* The Doc *
* The Doc *

Tough job. Single officer, working alone with 130 high-risk criminals with zero protection. Didn't know the region until I looked it up. This was in Pennsylvania. R.I.P Officer Williams

Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)

Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:26 am 
NET Pro Bowler

YaktownHawK wrote:
As someone who is in the same field, and age my condolences go out to this man and his family. Good men are lost all the time due to understaffed jails and prisons. Its a sad thing when budget cuts and saving a buck outweighs the safety of the men who put there lives on the line to keep our streets safe. God bless this family from my family and a fellow 12th man!

Without turning this political......agree 100% with everything you said. Prayers to/for the family.

To the barren lands

Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:51 am 
NET Veteran

This is just awful...I have several friends who are correction officers and all of them are feeling the crunch of understaffing and long hours. Tough gig. My condolences to his family.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:00 am 
NET Veteran

Godspeed Brother

Edited *for spelling correctness*

Last edited by Brahn on Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:19 am 
* NET Nobody *

God Bless him and his family. I work in an area where men and women like him keep us safe, and we are always grateful for the stressful and risky work that they do.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:32 am 
* Glitter over Knives *

Brahn wrote:
God Speed Brother

What does this mean?? I have never understood it.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:56 am 
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

bestfightstory wrote:
Brahn wrote:
God Speed Brother

Were you born in the Dakotahs or something. How do you not know? :roll:

I dunno either but is actually quite popular around here.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:36 pm 
* Class Act Hawk Fan *

bestfightstory wrote:
Brahn wrote:
God Speed Brother

He obviously means that he hopes that Eric has a safe and fast trip to Heaven... Not a bad thing at all... God Speed, means a safe journey wherever....

Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:49 pm 
NET Veteran

bestfightstory wrote:
Brahn wrote:
God Speed Brother

One needs only to use google on your posting machine to find the answer you seek with much more ease!

To wish someone Godspeed is to ask for God's blessings on his or her endeavor, most notably a long journey or a risky but potentially rewarding venture. Some view godspeed as a more reverent alternative to "good luck," which arguably introduces chance and randomness into the mix, not divine providence. One might wish Godspeed on a relative embarking on a long business trip overseas, for example.

The confusion over the meaning of Godspeed, which may also be rendered as god-speed or even goodspeed, lies in the definition of speed. The original meaning of the Old English word speed had nothing to do with velocity, but rather prosperity and good fortune. The addition of God to the concept of financial bounty may sound jarring at first, but the word Godspeed was an acknowledgment of God's generosity and blessing. Speed in that sense was the righteous acquisition of wealth and property through hard work and reverent behavior.

Some sources suggest that the word Godspeed may have been a corruption of "good speed," a wish for a speedy journey aided by favorable winds and sailing conditions. Under this theory, the expression good speed eventually became god-speed and ultimately Godspeed. The application of a Deity's name was simply a happy accident. Indeed, there are some recorded incidents of "good speed" being used as a blessing for ship-bound passengers.

The Middle English translators of the Holy Bible also used the term Godspeed in several passages, primarily in the Old Testament to indicate a God-inspired prosperity. This would suggest two separate evolutions of the expression, based on two different translations of the word speed. To wish someone Godspeed would be to wish him or her a prosperous journey or successful endeavor, while to wish someone goodspeed would suggest a swift and safe trip.

The expression Godspeed has largely fallen out of popular usage, and is generally listed as archaic in many dictionaries. Some still use it as a more theological blessing than a simple "good luck" or "bon voyage," although the original meaning has been forgotten in the mists of time.

This has been brought to you by the internet, when your to lazy to go to the library or just to lazy to google it yourself!

-Cheers

Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:54 pm 
* Mr Random Thought *

Wow. He was just the 25th corrections officer to be killed since 1901. Talk about unlucky.

I am hardly a gun nut, far from it, but correction officers should be armed. I believe police officers now have guns that only work when held by the officers own hand or something. Very safe. Also, it's probably a bad idea to have guards on solo duty.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:59 pm 
NET Rookie

Allweatherfan wrote:
Last week a Federal Corrections Officer was killed by an inmate. As news is unfolding about this, I just read the following article which identifies him as a die-hard Seahawks fan. I mention this because there is the chance that he was a member on this board. If any knew him I am sure you were better for it.

http://citizensvoice.com/news/nanticoke-corrections-officer-killed-by-inmate-1.1450628

Allweather, are you from northeastern PA?

Eric was from my area but, I did not know him. My heartfelt sympathy goes out to his family and friends.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:45 pm 
NET Practice Squad

I provide support for Canaan but I don't work there. I live in Oregon and work for the BOP but not as an officer anymore. I travel around to several different prisons but I am based in Oregon.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:43 pm 
* NET Radish *

kearly wrote:
Wow. He was just the 25th corrections officer to be killed since 1901. Talk about unlucky.

I am hardly a gun nut, far from it, but correction officers should be armed. I believe police officers now have guns that only work when held by the officers own hand or something. Very safe. Also, it's probably a bad idea to have guards on solo duty.

Years ago they did but it was determined that if the guard was armed and overpowered the prisoners would then have a weapon.

I had a personal friend who was a Presbyterian Minister pay his way through Seminary being a guard at San Quentin. Always thought it was a strange way for a man of God to get religion.

He never carried a gun and was in the general population all the time.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:37 pm 
NET Starter

That's too bad. RIP 12th man fan.

http://www.youtube.com/rxstr8

Post Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:32 am 
NET Veteran

The Radish wrote:
kearly wrote:

Years ago the did but it was determined that if the guard was armed and overpowered the prisoners would then have a weapon.

I had a personal friend who was a Presbyterian Minister pay his way through Seminary being a guard at San Quentin. Always thought it was a strange way for a man of God to get religion.

That's why they need to be armed, but with something that could not be life threatening- something like pepper spray.

"We all we got, we all we need"

Post Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:02 am 
* Gangnameister *

The Radish wrote:
kearly wrote:

Years ago the did but it was determined that if the guard was armed and overpowered the prisoners would then have a weapon.

Of course. Didn't any of you see Police Acedemy 2?

Oh, BTW... Canadian Eric checking in. Alive, well and only slightly intoxicated. :th2thumbs:

Post Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:40 am 
NET Pro Bowler

CANHawk wrote:

Oh, BTW... Canadian Eric checking in. Alive, well and only slightly intoxicated. :th2thumbs:

"Slightly"? Pussy. You need to drink more then. :D

To the barren lands

Post Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:48 am 
NET Veteran

There have been more and more events in prisons of this nature, the young lady in Monroe a few years agon here in Washington, Prisons cutting budgets cut back on gaurds like schools with teachers, more inmates and over population for fewer teachers and gaurds to keep track of and or educate.

It doesn't take but a few seconds for a few inmates to incapacitate one person given the weapons that can be made in prison from toothbrushes and other basic items crafted or smuggled in. More crowded more tension more animosity, Gaurds are the authority there and get the brunt of it.

Some of the deaths that have happened the state has just said we will invetigate, yet nothing changes much, a few more cameras here and there and back to business.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
.Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]