Roster spots up for grabs

QuahHawk

Reaction score
With $15+ Million available for Free Agents and 10 draft picks for now (projected two 7th round). We can bring in alot of players to compete for roster spots on an already very talented team. Here's my take on roster spots we should be trying to fill. Some spots might have a penciled in starter like Malcom Smith at WLB and some might be a position where the current player at that spot is likely to be knocked down to the next string.

QB #3 - We will need a QB #2 if Flynn is traded
WR #4 - Obo is as good as gone with a $2.3 mil contract
WR #5 - Kearse, Butler, Bates, Martin, and Williams could use some more competition
TE #2 - McCoy is solid but i don't fell he could fill in for Miller, with Millers injury history a #1b type TE would be a smar taddition
RB #3/FB #2 - There might be 1 RB/FB roster spot open, last year they kept Lumpkin and Vai Taua around for a while.
OT/OG #3 - Omiyale is a good backup at OT, add one more OT unless they move MQuistan to backup OT then add 1 OG
DE #1/2 - A body to start if Clemons is not healthy
DT #2 - Replacement for Branch
DT #3 - Replacement/Upgrade for J.Jones
WLB #1 - I'm not sold Malcom smith is a starting WLB
MLB #2 - Need more depth at LB, Toomer might be ready but he needs competition
CB #5 -BB, Sherm, LAne, and Maxwell are all locked WT3 could be replaced
*K #1 - Hauska can be replaced and improved

14* spots on this roster that are up for grabs. Opinions?

*edited to add kicker

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
I think that list is pretty accurate, though I'm sure Pete and John have some different ideas.

You also need to add Kicker - Haushka is unrestricted and I could see them bringing in a young guy with a bigger leg for kickoff reasons.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I disagree with Maxwell being a lock. If healthy Thurmond is our 2nd best cover man (maybe even our best if we're talking just pure coverage ability, although Sherman is far and away a better all around corner).

getnasty

Reaction score
JSeahawks":18pp6ymw said:
I disagree with Maxwell being a lock. If healthy Thurmond is our 2nd best cover man (maybe even our best if we're talking just pure coverage ability, although Sherman is far and away a better all around corner).

Homer!

Cartire

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2zqsknkb said:

I also disagree with Maxwell as a lock. In fact, with good competition, Lane really isnt a lock either. With that said, Thurmand could be amazing, but with his injury history, im ok with him being gone if needed. CB isnt really a concern right now. We have a solid group. If one goes down, there is a very capable backup.

Priotirties:

DL, LB, WR, OL, S

in that order.

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3hrqgdq2 said:

I think Thurmand is our 3rd best CB but his health is such a liability I put him on the roster bubble. It not so much that Lane and Maxwell couldn't be beat out but that we don't really need to upgrade them or that it would take a early to mid round pick to beat them out. I don't thinka 5th round CB this year has that great of a chance to beat Lane or Maxwell.

hawker232

Reaction score
I would love to see Kearse become our number 3 or 4. Dudes got speed and I see a lot of potential with him. He dissapointed me when he got his first regular season playing time vs Minnesota I believe.

chris98251

Reaction score
QB #3 - We will need a QB #2 if Flynn is traded
Agreed a young prospect for depth, Flynn well stay or go we need a guy that can not lose games and give us a chance to win, doesn't have to put the team on his back.
WR #4 - Obo is as good as gone with a $2.3 mil contract
I think he gets renegotiated to be honest he has a role and won't get a lot of interest for that salary anywhere.
WR #5 - Kearse, Butler, Bates, Martin, and Williams could use some more competition
Our depth doesn't have guys on it that can demand any real respect at the moment, We need players that can push the starters and make them look over their shoulder and keep them hungry. We could bring in a dozen between the draft and F.A.
TE #2 - McCoy is solid but i don't fell he could fill in for Miller, with Millers injury history a #1b type TE would be a smar taddition
This is a position I could see us making moves in the draft and F.A. to upgradeRB #3/FB #2 - There might be 1 RB/FB roster spot open, last year they kept Lumpkin and Vai Taua around for a while.
A FB or H-Back type combined with the TE position, who knows what way we go here, Robinson has become more and more important with every year. We need a guy that can step in I am thinking.
OT/OG #3 - Omiyale is a good backup at OT, add one more OT unless they move MQuistan to backup OT then add 1 OG
We have a lot of guys here that can fill that we have not seen a lot of Omilaye I agree should be kept as well as McQuiston, our depth here is solid if a fire is lit under Moffit and some of our other 2nd level guys have been showing they can step in and will only get better.
DE #1/2 - A body to start if Clemons is not healthy
This is a given and a need, even with a healthy Clemons I would want a guy in the wings in a rotation, how many players have re injuries of this joint with the amount of stress he will take beeing a D lineman.
DT #2 - Replacement for Branch
DT #3 - Replacement/Upgrade for J.Jones
I will take both of these positions and say try to improve, they were both servicewable if healthy though so a compete for roster spot type contract I think.
WLB #1 - I'm not sold Malcom smith is a starting WLB
Other the Wagner and Wright I think all our LB spots are open for competition right now, another place we could see a lot of guys brought in.
MLB #2 - Need more depth at LB, Toomer might be ready but he needs competition
Wright slide over when Wagner can't play, agaon lots of LB's brought in I thijnk to shake out depth.
CB #5 -BB, Sherm, LAne, and Maxwell are all locked WT3 could be replaced
Browner and Sherman are the only locks, Lane showed promise and will probably stick, I think Maxwell and Thurmond will have to re earn a spot along with anyone they bring in to work as a nickel, I think both Lane and Maxwell are to long for that roll, but that is just my opinion, a fast Safety would almost work better in our scheme.
*K #1 - Hauska can be replaced and improved
People keep knocking this guy but he kicks the damn ball thru the uprights and his kickoffs are not that bad.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
getnasty":2dtip2oo said:
JSeahawks":2dtip2oo said:

Homer!

Do you have something you disagree with or would like to discuss rather then just calling names?

Damn right i'm a homer, what's the point of being a sports fan if you're not. That said, my comment had nothing to do with my homerism but my belief on how they play as Seahawks (which has absolutely nothing to do with me being a Ducks homer).

kearly

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2x1ot9ni said:
getnasty":2x1ot9ni said:
JSeahawks":2x1ot9ni said:

Homer!

Do you have something you disagree with or would like to discuss rather then just calling names?

Damn right i'm a homer, what's the point of being a sports fan if you're not. That said, my comment had nothing to do with my homerism but my belief on how they play as Seahawks (which has absolutely nothing to do with me being a Ducks homer).

I think he was joking.

Seriously, this is the one time I won't call you a homer for supporting a duck. Thurmond is a terrific talent and I'm not about to forget that over a late season sore hamstring. I am very excited to see our secondary with Sherman/Browner/Thurmond next season.

Sprfunk

Reaction score
I too have been pumped for Thurmond since draft day and I am a UW fan. We will have to see if he can overcome his injuries, but I think he could be the answer at nickle at this point. The guy beat out Sherman for a starting spot for goodness sake. He is a player. This year is HUGE for him. Make or break year.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
JSeahawks":lc1uomzy said:
Completely agree with you. Thurmond has serious talent that we've seen translate on the field. He's just been snake bitten.

Let's all think about this for a second...Sherm, BB, Thurmond, ET and Kam ALL on the field together for an entire season...

pehawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1c86h1gg said:
getnasty":1c86h1gg said:
JSeahawks":1c86h1gg said:

Homer!

Wow, someone's a lil emotional.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Pretty decent list. I'd like to add:

#3 WR. I like Baldwin, I really do. He's fragile though, so either his spot or the #4 spot becomes that much more important. Yes, I saw the gruesome pic of his shoulder, but that's the point, and the point why I don't draft Tavon Austin if I'm a GM (at least in the 1st round). He doesn't have the frame of Rice or Tate. He can't take the beating of a 16 game season, and we don't run 3 WR sets as much as most teams. Dude's got heart and talent, he's smart and has a great work ethic. He's a great 4, and an almost perfect 5 (not strong enough on ST to be a perfect 5). But you know you're going to miss him a few games a year, so you better work on that depth.

I see us drafting at least 1 WR in this deep class. From reading Kearly and English's articles, I'd like to see a Ryan Swope (might be shooting for the stars here, but the guy seems perfect for us) or a Steadman Bailey (yea he's the same size as Baldwin, but hasn't been hurt as much in college). Then it'll be a battle royale between Kearse, Obomanu, and that new guy they brought in that recently was with AZ.

The one guy I think is safe that everyone writes off every year is Leon Washington. We use him in a limited role, so he's durable enough, and he had another great year for returns. We can be hung up on youth at times...the grass isn't always greener and it's hard to find 3 better returners in the NFL than Washington at this point, and it's' hard to expect a rookie to come in and be the top in his position in the NFL.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Hawks46:
#3 WR. I like Baldwin, I really do. He's fragile though, so either his spot or the #4 spot becomes that much more important. Yes, I saw the gruesome pic of his shoulder, but that's the point, and the point why I don't draft Tavon Austin if I'm a GM (at least in the 1st round).

1) Baldwin is not fragile. 2) Ed Reed (who is a pretty good football player) even suggested "Tavon Smith from West Virginia" should be the possible number 1 overall pick. (I don't think he's completely up on the draft, but he knows football and talent when he sees it.) Teams that rationalize why they shouldn't take Tavon Austin are going to have a difficult time rationalizing why they didn't. But, he's already rising up in projections and could be a high 1st now, so the Hawks may not even get the opportunity at 25. But, make no mistake: Tavon Austin is an obvious elite talent. That fans make some argument as to why he should not be selected in the 1st round doesn't completely surprise me because it's easy to just point to his size without talking about his game. Too, there's always a chance that a player doesn't land with a good scheme fit team, etc. But, a team is going to have to be almost completely inept to not know how to utilize him. Just get the man the ball in space (like Darren Sproules) and reap the benefits.

If Austin is there at 25 as a gift for the taking... TAKE HIM.

Subzero717

Reaction score
getnasty":136s8436 said:
JSeahawks":136s8436 said:

Homer!

No crap. Really. It's borederline embarrassing.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
There is no such thing as a healthy Thurmond. He has done nothing as a Seahawk to show he deserves to be on this roster next season.

Hawksfanatik

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":26hxld57 said:
There is no such thing as a healthy Thurmond. He has done nothing as a Seahawk to show he deserves to be on this roster next season.

Its hard to disagree. He has talent, but that doesn't amount to much if hes never on the field. Ala.. Marcus Tubbs. :34853_doh: