Seahawks inquire after Charles Woodson

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Seahawks inquire after Charles Woodson
Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:47 am
  • Other teams asking after him Jets, Giants, Dolphins.

Per @JosinaAnderson
    BelfastHawk
    NET Practice Squad

• I really do not see the fit/need. If we are gonna throw around big money for pricey veterans it should be on a pass rusher or maybe a WR. Spending big on a DB makes no sense right now.
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

• Well, the need is there for a nickel CB. Woodson might be really good in that roll. Not sure what kind of contract Woodson would be looking for at this phase of his careeer.

I know we have Thurmond, but until he proves he can stay on the field we can't rely on him and we need another.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• Interesting. He'd be an improvement over Tru at the 3rd DB and could play safety if something happened to Kam.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Did somebody mention Tru??

I just kind of ASSumed his days as a Hawk were over.

Between Lane, Thurmond and Maxwell aren't we fairly well covered already?

And ET will not be denied some reps at Nickle!! Haha
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

• Woodson would be valuable because he can play safety and corner. It's nice having that kind of guy in the secondary.

Think Big Play Babs.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• Woodson can play 5 positions (inc nickel). It's a no-brainer, he adds depth.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• No to Woodson. There's a reason Green Bay tended to place him on the line of scrimmage, and it wasn't to be the 3rd CB.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• What I've heard from GB fans is that Woodson does not have what it takes to play nickel corner anymore.

He is still a solid safety, but we don't really need a lot of help there. I expect a team will pay him to start at safety for them, we won't.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• I like it. Would give us a lot of flexibility back there. Put him at safety and move Kam to LB in some situations. Put him at safety and let Earl play nickle CB in other situations.

Smart, savvy veteran who probably won't command a huge contract at this point in his career. Would be a smart move, imo.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• If he came cheap, the veteran presence alone would be worth it.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• I'd have to imagine Woodson would play for the Hawks and Giants for considerably less than either the Jets or Dolphins.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• Sarlacc83 wrote:No to Woodson. There's a reason Green Bay tended to place him on the line of scrimmage, and it wasn't to be the 3rd CB.

And pinksheets: "What I've heard from GB fans is that Woodson does not have what it takes to play nickel corner anymore."

That's where I lean with this. Just curious what our coaches are envisioning here.
    Last edited by bestfightstory on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

• Missing_Clink wrote:I really do not see the fit/need. If we are gonna throw around big money for pricey veterans it should be on a pass rusher or maybe a WR. Spending big on a DB makes no sense right now.

The fit/need is nickel DB, of which Woodson would be a HUGE upgrade over Trufant.

But you're right, not if the price is too high. But I don't see any of these other rumored teams giving Woodson big money. Not at age 36 and coming off an injury plagued season.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Re: Seahawks inquire after Charles Woodson
Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:01 am
  • I would love this move.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:01 am
  • I hate to say this but, After last year, I would rather have Woodson in at Safety on passing downs rather than Kam.
    FargoHawk
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:04 am
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    Smart, savvy veteran who probably won't command a huge contract at this point in his career. Would be a smart move, imo.

Won't command a huge salary? What dream world are you living on? He's a star,,,,just ask him.

:les:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:15 am
  • The Radish wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:

Won't command a huge salary? What dream world are you living on? He's a star,,,,just ask him.

:les:

I think you may be confusing him with Revis. I havnt heard Woodson talking at all thru the media or any other source.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:50 am
  • FlyingGreg wrote:Well, the need is there for a nickel CB. Woodson might be really good in that roll. Not sure what kind of contract Woodson would be looking for at this phase of his careeer.

I know we have Thurmond, but until he proves he can stay on the field we can't rely on him and we need another.

Exactly THIS^

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:52 am
  • bestfightstory wrote: "What I've heard from GB fans is that Woodson does not have what it takes to play nickel corner anymore." Just curious what our coaches are envisioning here.

Our coaches are not Green Bay fans, they are evaluaters of what this team needs, and in this case a wise choice to consider it IMO.

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:16 am
  • He has to realize he isn't going to get a big paycheck and I'm assuming he wants one last ride to win it all again. He can play basically any position for us in the secondary which can free up some new looks. I'd love this move.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:25 am
  • bestfightstory wrote:Did somebody mention Tru??

I just kind of ASSumed his days as a Hawk were over.

Between Lane, Thurmond and Maxwell aren't we fairly well covered already?

And ET will not be denied some reps at Nickle!! Haha

This is a bit off-topic, but from what I have seen, Lane is a much better outside corner. He can run stride-for-stride with #2WRs, at least, and he has an impressive leaping ability to fight at the point of attack for the football. We also know that he can hit a bit from his work as a gunner in PR, but maybe a bit more muscle will allow him to better jam the point of attack. I know that we think of our outside corners as needing to be six-feet or up to really work in this defense, but really if Lane can jam receivers consistently and make plays on the ball at the apex of his jump, he might - might - be a possible CB #2 replacement for Browner (though I would guess that he continues to be a rotational CB and a ST all-star).

Thurmond would be perfect for that position were he not an injury mess. Of course, we'll see if he can heal that knee and give at least twelve games out there next year.

Maxwell, if I recall correctly, was okay in the nickel slot the few times he played there, but he was a better outside corner as well.

In any case, if Woodson can effectively play nickel corner, he would be well worth it at the right price for this defense, as we have seen what happens when Thurmond is out - the slot receivers like Danny Amendola have their way with the Marcus Trufants of the world.

I don't know much about draft possibilities beyond what Field Gulls and Seahawks Draft Blog tell me, but I'm hoping that the second and third rounds will be filled with nickel corner possibilities, as we really are thin behind Thurmond.

Also, if Earl Thomas wants to play any position except for QB, let's throw him in there! Maybe he can spend some time as an assistant to the safeties coach while he's at it. :lol:
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

--Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:06 pm

Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:07 pm
  • Interesting........I would be for it if the money is right.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:54 pm
  • Expected this. I heard Pete already said Woodson would be a great addition to the team after he was released. Get him!

Anyone want to make me a new signature? I've held out hope long enough.
    95% of the time I'm viewing here and/or posting is being done on a mobile device. Pardon any spelling, punctuation, or grammar mistakes.
    The Yugoslavian
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:58 pm

• Adding a few vets to this defense would improve some of those slow road starts and early playoff let downs, plus we'd have more leadership on D. I think Red is the defensive team leader and he isn't even on the field the whole time. Woodson ahs been there done that and caryr on the tradition of having a vetran in the DB group, Milloy and Trufant we great while here. Woodson will not break the bank and we do have about 15 Mil to throw around probably more. I will be dissapointed if we don't get at least one Old Vet for a short deal (Woodson, Abraham, Freeney, Osi, or Seymore) we are legitimate contenders and have only a few holes that have to be filled.

DE to hold it down untill Clemons is back
    DT that can pass rush and stay healthier than J.Jones
    CB nickel CB to replace Trufant
    WLB to replace Hill

If we can address two of these needs in FA that really opens up or draft to select WR or TE early if the right guy is there.
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

• woodson has stated he doesn't care about money, he just wants a team that can put him in the best position to win a super bowl.
    Axx
    NET Veteran

• Could do worse.. I wonder how much he is looking for per year?

I don't think we spend too much on him. Just an offer to play for a contender next year. :179422:
    WE ALL WE GOT! WE ALL WE NEED!
    Hawksfanatik
    NET Veteran

• Bring in Woodson. Can rotate him and ET at nickle, maybe.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• He's still a pretty darn good player.
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• I more on board with giving one of the younger guys more time at that position. Putting the competition thing to work with Lane, Maxwell and if Thurmond can just get healthy it is a non-issue.

These guys are just kids, with the exception of Browner who is really just starting his NFL career. I would be surprised if the Hawks really go after big name FA's. Any young player learning from the current group is going to know nothing but Seahawk Style. Hard core physical and in your face defense.

Woodson can play that way, but unless he wants to play Nickel, he won't displace any of the current roster spots.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:02 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information