Shocking Anthony McCoy stats. 2013's secret Weapon?

Seahawks_FanMan

Reaction score
Was looking at some stats, and came across some things that surprised me about McCoy. This article is fantasy based, but it shows some eye dropping stats that shows he's better in certain areas than Gonzo, Witten, etc and other places Gronkowski is the only TE better.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... s-in-2012/

Is this a reflection of Russel and what he brings and not so much of Anthony? I know that the sample size is small but he sure looks like a playmaker in waiting.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
He needs to buckle down, work very hard and cut out the dropped passes, but he has the potential to be a very good tight end in this league. It's up to him whether he reaches that potential, though.

Spokane

Reaction score
McCoy is my favorite Seahawk! Everyone loves to overlook him and find flaws, but the guy just rocks!

Huge, fast, can catch tough balls, makes guys miss and still gets no love.

OP
OP
S

Seahawks_FanMan

Reaction score
Spokane":3vy4g052 said:
McCoy is my favorite Seahawk! Everyone loves to overlook him and find flaws, but the guy just rocks!

Huge, fast, can catch tough balls, makes guys miss and still gets no love.

Shadowhawk":3vy4g052 said:
He needs to buckle down, work very hard and cut out the dropped passes, but he has the potential to be a very good tight end in this league. It's up to him whether he reaches that potential, though.

I'm just wondering if they will expand his role next year? I know Zach had a great couple playoff games but McCoy looks to be the guy with the skill set. 5th deepest pass routes on aimed throws in NFL to end the season. Maybe him and RW started developing something?

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Spokane":1rem0sd2 said:
... the guy just rocks!

Huge, fast, can catch tough balls, makes guys miss...
Sorry, but I just don't see it.

What I see is a player with outstanding physical tools that doesn't have the head for the game.

He plays far too nonchalantly for my liking. It's like he's out there prancing around trying to look the part.

Does he make an occasional play?... yes, he does. I'll give him that.

I would like to see him play more "lunch pail type" like Zach Miller. With his god-given talent/size, McCoy should be more of an impact and perform more consistently in blocking and pass catching.

Imo, he is under-performing relative to what I had hoped his upside would be.

If his 2012 play is his ceiling, I say we upgrade the position and let Anthony move on.

For example, I view Gavin Escobar as an upgrade that can be had for a 3rd round pick this year. The kid is a vacuum machine compared to McCoy.

CANHawk

Reaction score
McCoy is great. I don't get the haters, they're just being ignorant. He had an awesome season last year with several game altering catches (and he really cut down on the dropsies). He really put in the work and brought it like one of those lunch pail kinda guys. He's the perfect #2 TE for us and I hope he's retained. We need the #3/h-back/"joker" kind of TE to round out the group. Hope Morrah's healthy and can come back to play that role...

We're in a great position with the te group going into next year. Lucky us!

Axx

Reaction score
McCoy is not as bad as Seahawks fans say he is but he is no where near as good as Miller. Miller catches everything and McCoy drops the easy ones. Also miller when run blocking, lays people flat out on the ground. McCoy when run blocking usually gets driven back a couple yards.

Decimation

Reaction score
Never understood the McCoy hate. He's a solid #2 TE behind Miller and has showed some flashes of excellence with his route running.

gmor

Reaction score
Seahawks_FanMan":2suxwmtk said:
Was looking at some stats, and came across some things that surprised me about McCoy. This article is fantasy based, but it shows some eye dropping stats that shows he's better in certain areas than Gonzo, Witten, etc and other places Gronkowski is the only TE better..

I don't see the magic in him either. He drops too many easy passes.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I have been critical of the guy and I know he has improved. To me, it is just a possible position of upgrade. I would like both TE's to be dangerous and I have always wanted one if those guys with speed.

I think we could roll with McCoy, but if there is an option for better, the Hawks should take it.

djb28

Reaction score
I think he is badass. He has a few things to work on. I guess most don't like him. The sig I mad for free use never was taken! lol

hawker84

Reaction score
been saying all along.. McCoy is our Delanie Walker.. he is atheletic as hell, but he'll drop a crucial pass at the worst time...

i never understood all the calls for going after a back up tight end, we have a really good one already... he just needs to get more consistant catching the ball.. he made some huge plays for us last season.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
He's no doubt the most underrated player on the team among fans imo, but still needs to work on his fundamentals if he doesnt want to be replaced in the future

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
Well I'm sure he's cognizant of the upcoming draft; lots to choose from. I feel like some of you in that he seems to lack focus sometimes and is nowhere near the blocker Miller is. Something for him to work on in the offseason, but I think he's worth keeping.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
gmor":1p9kbd7b said:
Seahawks_FanMan":1p9kbd7b said:
Was looking at some stats, and came across some things that surprised me about McCoy. This article is fantasy based, but it shows some eye dropping stats that shows he's better in certain areas than Gonzo, Witten, etc and other places Gronkowski is the only TE better..

I don't see the magic in him either. He drops too many easy passes.

I keep hearing people say this. How many drops do you suppose he had this year? I can recall just 1 drop that was "easy" that was against the Redskins in the playoffs. Other that that, he was pretty sure handed. According to that article he was targeted 23 times and had 18 receptions. Meaning that 5 went incomplete. So at most he had 2-3 drops all year. That's pretty good. His drop problem has improved significantly in 2012.

I know one thing he had far fewer drops than Delanie Walker-- the guy alot of you are so hot for in free agency.

Sprfunk

Reaction score
He had that crazy play in the Washington game were he dropped that easy wide open pass and then laid out someone out of frustration.
He has the tools, the question is if he can use them.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Wasn't sure about McCoy at the start of the season but then they brought in that other TE and man did he not deliver. McCoy has the size and speed, he is a good blocking TE as well, potential is still there hopefully a full off-season with Wilson and a tailored game plan to Wilson's strengths will bring out more production from McCoy.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
The only problem I have seen with McCooy is his after pass run.
He's a stumbling wreck after the catch.

I really hope he can work on finding a straight line to the end zone, cut out that, what ever it is he does, because he can't do it.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
He is certainly talented, just inconsistent. And I agree, his running after the catch is painful to watch.

TE is a position we could use an upgrade at. I'd be more than happy with Miller, McCoy and a draft pick.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I like McCoy but I've always felt most of his positive plays are the results of the position he plays instead of individual effort plays.

The #2 tightend in our offense will benefit a lot from play action that results to them being completely wide open for many of their receptions, so I would prefer the #2 tightend having excellent hands and some YAC ability. Something McCoy struggles with.

Latest posts