Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Peter King on Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:10 am 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
Posts: 3081
Location: Anchorage, AK
Forgot

1) AS proven that he can't make the superbowl comment? Attacking the post and not the poster but that is one string of words that doesn't rank up there with the better ones I have read on this board......... :) -- AS is a system qb - no doubt about it. With that said just like Flacco last year AS and Flacco did what they needed to have played in the Superbowl last year. Other players on the team failed

2) Flynn - no way ever he restructures. Bears gave Jason Campbell a $2 million signing bonus and $1.4 million base salary and $100,000 workout bonus. $3.5 million for Jason Campbell!!!!!!! Flynn is hoping he gets cut and nobody picks him off the waiver. Keep signing bonus, keep guaranteed money and get another signing bonus - holy smokes that would be fantastic. Who cares about winning superbowls if you are on the sideline doing NOTHING. It is one thing if you are the backup left guard or something but backup qb - you do nothing


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Peter King on Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:39 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am
Posts: 7864
scutterhawk wrote:
Yeah, Quarterbacks like Wilson are all over the Nation :roll: You really, really, REALLY believe that?


Did I say that?

No.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Peter King on Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:40 am 
* NET Staff Alumni *
* NET Staff Alumni *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:05 am
Posts: 1057
Exactly, why would Flynn take less money to stay here and keep warming the bench? He's been in the league four years and only got his first chance to compete for a starting job last season. If he gets released he gets another shot to start somewhere, and if he doesn't get released he at least gets the big contract for another year.

None of us know where his head is at right now but he came to Seattle last year because he thought he could win the starting job. I can't see him giving up and accepting backup money without at least taking another shot at it.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Peter King on Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:29 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:47 pm
Posts: 2824
Location: Seattle
Does anyone think Flynn wants to be on this team?

Do you want anyone on this team that straight up doesn't want to be?

I'd answer no to both.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Peter King on Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:38 am 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
Posts: 3081
Location: Anchorage, AK
Just to add one more thought on this

So SF is trading AS. Apparently a "done deal". So if we had any ideas about a guy that could fit as backup to RW would slip to where he becomes a value pick lets forget about it. Why? Because SF is looking for the identical player. Not similiar but IDENTICAL.

I would also expect Carolina to play much more to Newton's strenghts this season as that started to win them games and the Redskins know they need another backup to RG3

So I seriously think there are four teams that are looking for a backup with the same skillset. This is in ADDITION to any team that think this is the future of the NFL and are looking for a starter with those skillsets.....

Just saying


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Peter King on Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:42 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:46 pm
Posts: 1432
mikeak wrote:
Just to add one more thought on this

So SF is trading AS. Apparently a "done deal". So if we had any ideas about a guy that could fit as backup to RW would slip to where he becomes a value pick lets forget about it. Why? Because SF is looking for the identical player. Not similiar but IDENTICAL.

Don't we pick before SF in just about every round?

_________________
SUPERBOWL!!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Peter King on Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:43 am 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
Posts: 3081
Location: Anchorage, AK
CBS lets Flynn hit the front page as one of the four deals that makes sense to be made....

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/2176 ... irst-to-go


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Peter King on Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:58 am 
* NET Philistine *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am
Posts: 14123
Location: Portland, OR
People refuse to give up on Flynn for the same reason as they wouldn't let go of Hasselbeck. Fear of the unknown.

_________________
Super Bowl Champions XVLIII


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Peter King on Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:03 am 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
Posts: 3081
Location: Anchorage, AK
Hawkfan77 wrote:
mikeak wrote:
Just to add one more thought on this

So SF is trading AS. Apparently a "done deal". So if we had any ideas about a guy that could fit as backup to RW would slip to where he becomes a value pick lets forget about it. Why? Because SF is looking for the identical player. Not similiar but IDENTICAL.

Don't we pick before SF in just about every round?


Yes but if we are going to use a 4th rounder for some guy and the SF team thinks he is a 3rd rounder he isn't falling. And did you note the other teams I listed? We have draft picks from several other teams so they will all be around other teams that is typically how the draft works......


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Peter King on Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:01 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am
Posts: 2483
FlyingGreg wrote:
Makes no sense to release him. Pete's had one too many lattes.


It does make sense if you find your backup QB in the draft and you're planning on spending some money in free agency.

If you find a QB in the draft that fits the RW mold, it makes no sense to pay a guy that's not in your long term plans 4-5 million a year to hold a clipboard and runs a different style of offense than your starter.

_________________
If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Peter King on Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:25 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:01 pm
Posts: 1894
Location: Vancouver, Wa
Just my opinion, but I think fact SF and SEA are both willing to trade away their backup and go younger/cheaper tells me the value of the #2 QB is not as high as fans may think.

_________________
I got passion for my Hawks and I ain't afraid to show it


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Peter King on Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:12 pm 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
Posts: 3081
Location: Anchorage, AK
Recon_Hawk wrote:
Just my opinion, but I think fact SF and SEA are both willing to trade away their backup and go younger/cheaper tells me the value of the #2 QB is not as high as fans may think.


It tells me that Seahawks and SF think they have their starter and don't need to be spending starter money on the backup......

If you have Tom Brady starting and Matt Ryan on the bench and they are both in their prime you simply don't keep both..... Not saying that is the situation here but it doesn't matter how good Flynn and AS are if they are not as good as the guy starting.

Remember Kaepernick is going to hit his resigning next year whereas RW has 2 years left to get there. 49ers need to create room for a $15-$20million / year contract right now


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Peter King on Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:25 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:46 pm
Posts: 1432
mikeak wrote:
We have draft picks from several other teams so they will all be around other teams that is typically how the draft works......

No way is it how the draft works?? Thanks for your wonderful insight!!

:roll:

Want to know how else the draft works? Teams overdraft guys you covet...you are honestly worried about SF drafting a QB before us later in the draft...THAT'S THE DRAFT! Other teams draft guys we want...why is backup QB different?

_________________
SUPERBOWL!!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Peter King on Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:48 pm 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
Posts: 3081
Location: Anchorage, AK
Hawkfan77 wrote:
mikeak wrote:
We have draft picks from several other teams so they will all be around other teams that is typically how the draft works......

No way is it how the draft works?? Thanks for your wonderful insight!!

:roll:

Want to know how else the draft works? Teams overdraft guys you covet...you are honestly worried about SF drafting a QB before us later in the draft...THAT'S THE DRAFT! Other teams draft guys we want...why is backup QB different?


You know - your post led to having to be so blatant about how the draft works. Remember where you stated that SF drafts after the Seahawks?

And then ignoring this part of my post: So I seriously think there are four teams that are looking for a backup with the same skillset. This is in ADDITION to any team that think this is the future of the NFL and are looking for a starter with those skillsets.....

I didn't say we need to be worried about drafting a backup. But some people here are suggesting that you just cut Flynn to save money and pick up a replacement guy in the draft.

Lets see - how did the backup work out that first year when Dilfer went down? How did the backup work out for Chicago Bears the past two years? - NOT SO FREAKING GOOD

On the other hand how did a CAPABLE - not great but a guy that knew the system - work out for NE? Pretty decent the one year Brady went down

If you have a team that wants to make the superbowl then you better make sure the backup can come in and NOT lose games. He doesn't have to win them but if you are loosing games because of the backup sucking then you should have spent the money on someone else. Flynn right now will most likely not cost us games and if lucky he wins them. That is one heck of an insurance policy. If you can get something adequate for less then it becomes interesting.

Don't make stupid posts on chopped up quotes from me and play smart when I call out the BS that you wrote please


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Peter King on Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:04 pm 
* NET Alumni *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:17 pm
Posts: 165
Location: West Linn, OR
I think we will see a small restructure so it makes a draft day trade more palatable. It is in Flynn's best interest to be traded to a team that want's to give him a competitive chance at a starting role. In that scenario, I could see Flynn accepting a restructured deal packaged with a trade. That will be the most mutually beneficial outcome and allow something to happen this season. Then the Seahawks will use a mid-round draft pick on a QB......and maybe a vet minimum deal to add to the competition in camp. If that doesn't happen, Flynn will return this year and they try the same thing next off-season or gets cut.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Peter King on Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:18 pm 
* Master Chief *
* Master Chief *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:19 am
Posts: 7408
Location: CVN-68
Sgt. Largent wrote:
FlyingGreg wrote:
Makes no sense to release him. Pete's had one too many lattes.


It does make sense if you find your backup QB in the draft and you're planning on spending some money in free agency.

If you find a QB in the draft that fits the RW mold, it makes no sense to pay a guy that's not in your long term plans 4-5 million a year to hold a clipboard and runs a different style of offense than your starter.


Who? People keep talking about the "Russell Wilson like QB" in the draft we can get to replace Flynn. Nobody has produced a name as of yet.

Nope, still doesn't make sense to release. Trade for compensation is Door #1, but you still need to have Russell's back-up identified, and I'm not so sure there is one. Unless you are willing to go all in on Wilson being healthy all next season.

_________________
@SeahawkGreg

Image

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Peter King on Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:25 pm 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
Posts: 3081
Location: Anchorage, AK
^ You can like it or dislike it but my name was Vince Young. He is broke so should be motivated. He can run and he can pass the ball better than Tebow. He has won games in the NFL for a couple of years and he should be able to come in.

Not sure if he has the brain power to do the read option which is my big negative.

Upside - not signed with anybody so he is cheap AND he saves a draft pick.

I would be fine with him AS backup and trade Flynn even for a 7th rounder to get the money off the books

Now lots of people are going to chime in and say no way Vince Young. Many of those will be the same people that said cut Flynn we just need someone to hold the clipboard.......... :roll:


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Peter King on Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:32 pm 
NET Ring Of Honor
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:38 pm
Posts: 21159
Location: NFL WORLD CHAMPIONS 2013-2014
Vince Young?....no way.... :lol:

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Peter King on Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:33 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:46 pm
Posts: 1432
mikeak wrote:
^ You can like it or dislike it but my name was Vince Young. He is broke so should be motivated. He can run and he can pass the ball better than Tebow. He has won games in the NFL for a couple of years and he should be able to come in.

Not sure if he has the brain power to do the read option which is my big negative.

Upside - not signed with anybody so he is cheap AND he saves a draft pick.

I would be fine with him AS backup and trade Flynn even for a 7th rounder to get the money off the books

Now lots of people are going to chime in and say no way Vince Young. Many of those will be the same people that said cut Flynn we just need someone to hold the clipboard.......... :roll:

Count me as one person that would like to see the Hawks signs Vince Young. An athletic QB with a big arm who has proven he can win in this league. He won't cost anything. If he doesn't work out, cut him. But if he does, then we have a cheap backup QB who won't cost anywhere near what Flynn does.

_________________
SUPERBOWL!!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Peter King on Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:59 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:08 pm
Posts: 2064
Location: Seattle
theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
Here's a poser for you... What if Seattle has found another QB they like in the rounds 3-7 range?

How many of Wilson's snaps would you want to give this rookie in training camp? A veteran QB is valuable to us this year in particular as it would let us give Wilson a full offseason getting starter+ reps. I think we all agree that a large reason for Wilson improvement over the season was the lack of reps last offseason that he overcame as he got more playing time.

I think this also has implications down the road. If we draft a QB as a #2 this year we put a premium on mobility, intelligence and a high floor (Matt Scott?). If we draft a QB as a #3 we can put the premium entirely on a high ceiling instead (Tyler Bray?). I see more value longterm in the second option because real trade value will come from a hit on a QBOTF rather then a reliable backup.

_________________
"Check out my 2012 NFL Draft Grades. I just gave the worst grade ever to Seattle." - WalterFootball.com


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Peter King on Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:54 pm 
* Mr Random Thought *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am
Posts: 9847
FlyingGreg wrote:
Yes. And that's why those teams would be screwed if those guys get hurt. And none of them had a Russell Wilson to deal with, so the comparison is moot. I don't want us to be in that position.


And yet, they do it anyway. QB injuries are rare. And also, I have no idea what you mean with regards to RW, but the comparison is not moot. It is completely relevant. Peyton Manning is 1 hit away from retirement, and his backup was a raw rookie who didn't even have a lot of college experience. The fact is, that hit never came, and some QBs are more injury averse than others for various reasons.

Wilson looks like a guy that could still be playing at 40. He just knows how to take a hit, and he knows how to protect his body better than any QB I've ever seen.

I'd like us to have a good backup too. But $15.5 million over 2 years isn't worth it. It would be like paying $500 a month for auto insurance. Seattle won't do that, and Flynn knows that his chance to be a starter is now, not two years from now when his Seahawks contract is up. He won't restructure to be a backup with no hope of winning the job.

Kyle Orton is probably as good, or maybe better, of a backup than Flynn (when factoring experience) and look at the lack of interest he generated when he hit the open market in the middle of the 2011 season. You can always find veteran backups, and they don't have to cost you $15.5 million over two seasons.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Peter King on Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:05 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am
Posts: 7864
AgentDib wrote:
How many of Wilson's snaps would you want to give this rookie in training camp?


As many as Kirk Cousins had last summer.

He came on in relief and led a come-from-behind victory against the eventual Super Bowl Champions.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Peter King on Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:19 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:04 pm
Posts: 1979
If they release him there still on the hook for 3million according to espn that won't happen. He will be traded or he will be on the team next year.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Peter King on Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:22 pm 
* Master Chief *
* Master Chief *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:19 am
Posts: 7408
Location: CVN-68
kearly wrote:
FlyingGreg wrote:
Yes. And that's why those teams would be screwed if those guys get hurt. And none of them had a Russell Wilson to deal with, so the comparison is moot. I don't want us to be in that position.


And yet, they do it anyway. QB injuries are rare. And also, I have no idea what you mean with regards to RW, but the comparison is not moot. It is completely relevant. Peyton Manning is 1 hit away from retirement, and his backup was a raw rookie who didn't even have a lot of college experience. The fact is, that hit never came, and some QBs are more injury averse than others for various reasons.

Wilson looks like a guy that could still be playing at 40. He just knows how to take a hit, and he knows how to protect his body better than any QB I've ever seen.

I'd like us to have a good backup too. But $15.5 million over 2 years isn't worth it. It would be like paying $500 a month for auto insurance. Seattle won't do that, and Flynn knows that his chance to be a starter is now, not two years from now when his Seahawks contract is up. He won't restructure to be a backup with no hope of winning the job.

Kyle Orton is probably as good, or maybe better, of a backup than Flynn (when factoring experience) and look at the lack of interest he generated when he hit the open market in the middle of the 2011 season. You can always find veteran backups, and they don't have to cost you $15.5 million over two seasons.


My point about Wilson was he did not come in entrenched as starters like the guys you listed were. He was the upset. He wasn't expected to do what he did. The whole contract scenario with Flynn is inverted because of that. It wasn't "supposed" to be this way. And in the context of the entirety of the position, considering the production we got out of it we still aren't remotely close to paying premium with Wilson making peanuts. It doesn't really matter what Flynn is making, as both Pete and John have said many times. I don't think they are being deceitful.

We'll just agree to disagree. The front office has made it clear that the cap will not be a factor in what happens with Flynn, and I believe them. I know it's conspiracy season and misinformation reigns supreme, but on this one I still don't buy they will outright release him.

_________________
@SeahawkGreg

Image

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Peter King on Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:31 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am
Posts: 7864
General Manager wrote:
If they release him there still on the hook for 3million according to espn that won't happen. He will be traded or he will be on the team next year.


We've been over this a few times now.

$1.25m direct saving on the cap in 2013, $2m saving on the 2014 cap if he's cut plus an extra $5.25m in cash.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Peter King on Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:12 am 
*SILVER SUPPORTER*
*SILVER SUPPORTER*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:40 am
Posts: 4378
Location: Southern CA
theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
AgentDib wrote:
How many of Wilson's snaps would you want to give this rookie in training camp?


As many as Kirk Cousins had last summer.

He came on in relief and led a come-from-behind victory against the eventual Super Bowl Champions.

I wouldn't necessarily use Cousins as an example simply because he too is a bit of an outlier. He's basically a less athletic Russell Wilson--a very smart, high-character guy who is a born leader and who will outwork most other guys. If he had better physical tools, he'd have been drafted much higher.


_________________
Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com


Last edited by sc85sis on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Peter King on Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:22 am 
I'M JIMMY!
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:17 pm
Posts: 4364
Location: Auburn, WA
PC was asked by Clayton in Indy (Friday night) about Flynn. PC said they will listen to offers, but they do not have to move him and have no issues carrying him on the team. That he is a good QB and you never know how quickly we might need him. I got the feeling that unless someone offers the Hawks something remotely worth while, that they are just going to keep him. The money isn't sick, especially when you look at the total cost of the QB crew on this roster and it's potential.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Peter King on Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:30 am 
I'M JIMMY!
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:17 pm
Posts: 4364
Location: Auburn, WA
FlyingGreg wrote:
kearly wrote:
The front office has made it clear that the cap will not be a factor in what happens with Flynn, and I believe them. I know it's conspiracy season and misinformation reigns supreme, but on this one I still don't buy they will outright release him.


Agreed, PC said he holds value as a player to Seattle, regardless of what others see in him or don't. He is not getting cut to save money when the money they are talking about isn't really that much in the Seahawks overall cap picture. It doesn't matter that he makes more than Wilson, the Seahawks are not going to adjust the contracts by releasing Flynn so they can say they have their pay structure in order of player depth. They would at least wait until there was an established backup QB on the team, otherwise they just look foolish. Also, there is the chance that Flynn's value increases as late as October of this season.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Peter King on Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:33 am 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 4:38 pm
Posts: 2279
kearly wrote:
FlyingGreg wrote:
Yes. And that's why those teams would be screwed if those guys get hurt. And none of them had a Russell Wilson to deal with, so the comparison is moot. I don't want us to be in that position.


And yet, they do it anyway. QB injuries are rare. And also, I have no idea what you mean with regards to RW, but the comparison is not moot. It is completely relevant. Peyton Manning is 1 hit away from retirement, and his backup was a raw rookie who didn't even have a lot of college experience. The fact is, that hit never came, and some QBs are more injury averse than others for various reasons.

Wilson looks like a guy that could still be playing at 40. He just knows how to take a hit, and he knows how to protect his body better than any QB I've ever seen.

I'd like us to have a good backup too. But $15.5 million over 2 years isn't worth it. It would be like paying $500 a month for auto insurance. Seattle won't do that, and Flynn knows that his chance to be a starter is now, not two years from now when his Seahawks contract is up. He won't restructure to be a backup with no hope of winning the job.

Kyle Orton is probably as good, or maybe better, of a backup than Flynn (when factoring experience) and look at the lack of interest he generated when he hit the open market in the middle of the 2011 season. You can always find veteran backups, and they don't have to cost you $15.5 million over two seasons.


Disagreed, Kyle Orton was benched for Tim Tebow after leading the Broncos to a what, 1-6 start? (I can't remember off the top of my head).
Unknown quantities will always fetch higher value than proven failures.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Peter King on Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:48 am 
* Master Chief *
* Master Chief *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:19 am
Posts: 7408
Location: CVN-68
loafoftatupu wrote:
FlyingGreg wrote:
kearly wrote:
The front office has made it clear that the cap will not be a factor in what happens with Flynn, and I believe them. I know it's conspiracy season and misinformation reigns supreme, but on this one I still don't buy they will outright release him.


Agreed, PC said he holds value as a player to Seattle, regardless of what others see in him or don't. He is not getting cut to save money when the money they are talking about isn't really that much in the Seahawks overall cap picture. It doesn't matter that he makes more than Wilson, the Seahawks are not going to adjust the contracts by releasing Flynn so they can say they have their pay structure in order of player depth. They would at least wait until there was an established backup QB on the team, otherwise they just look foolish. Also, there is the chance that Flynn's value increases as late as October of this season.


Precisely.

_________________
@SeahawkGreg

Image

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Peter King on Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:56 am 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
Posts: 3081
Location: Anchorage, AK
theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
General Manager wrote:
If they release him there still on the hook for 3million according to espn that won't happen. He will be traded or he will be on the team next year.


We've been over this a few times now.

$1.25m direct saving on the cap in 2013, $2m saving on the 2014 cap if he's cut plus an extra $5.25m in cash.


Are these direct savings after accounting for the $1+ million you are spending on the backup? These numbers aren't seriously the number after just cutting Flynn right since then it would be a no-brainer not to cut him


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Peter King on Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:43 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am
Posts: 2483
loafoftatupu wrote:

Agreed, PC said he holds value as a player to Seattle, regardless of what others see in him or don't. He is not getting cut to save money when the money they are talking about isn't really that much in the Seahawks overall cap picture. It doesn't matter that he makes more than Wilson, the Seahawks are not going to adjust the contracts by releasing Flynn so they can say they have their pay structure in order of player depth. They would at least wait until there was an established backup QB on the team, otherwise they just look foolish. Also, there is the chance that Flynn's value increases as late as October of this season.


I don't think anyone is saying that we'd cut Flynn "just to save money."

What Pete's saying is that if the stars align perfectly where;

1. Another team offers an appropriate draft pick
2. We find a competent backup in the draft
3. We can sign a cheaper backup where the drop between new backup and Flynn isn't that big

Personally I'd say Flynn is cut if #2 or #3 happens......or both. Sign a cheaper backup and find a QB in later rounds to develop.

But no there's not an urgency to get rid of Flynn because of our unique situation where Flynn is making lower end starter money, and Wilson is making low end backup money. Nothing HAS to be done.

_________________
If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Peter King on Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:06 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:11 am
Posts: 2193
mikeak wrote:
theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
General Manager wrote:
If they release him there still on the hook for 3million according to espn that won't happen. He will be traded or he will be on the team next year.


We've been over this a few times now.

$1.25m direct saving on the cap in 2013, $2m saving on the 2014 cap if he's cut plus an extra $5.25m in cash.


Are these direct savings after accounting for the $1+ million you are spending on the backup? These numbers aren't seriously the number after just cutting Flynn right since then it would be a no-brainer not to cut him


Exactly what I was thinking.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Peter King on Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:02 pm 
NET Rookie
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:51 am
Posts: 156
Location: NJ
Not sure why more people don't propose the concept of a conditional draft pick. All the pundits are like "He's worth nothing more than a 4th or 5th". The way these
things get done is almost always conditional on play time/quality of play.

I expect the same thing to happen here.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Peter King on Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:10 pm 
* Report Button *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm
Posts: 9923
English = Ahab
Matt Flynn's LACK of trade value = (bearded) White Whale


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Peter King on Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:45 pm 
NET Rookie
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:11 pm
Posts: 119
Hawkstorian wrote:
Much of Flynn's 2013 salary is guaranteed, so cutting him doesn't save as much $$ as people think ... and combined with the fact that he's a reliable backup who should be able to win us a game or 2 if needed ... I really think he'll be a Seahawk this season. After this year, his salary goes up and it's a lot less likely we would keep him.

My guess -- they'll redo his deal, cut his salary by a $2M or so, an waive the last year so he'll be a free agency in 2014. Call it the Hill/Trufant plan.


The way I heard it, they can only save $1.25 M of his salary if they release him. If that is true, then the question becomes, who out there can the Hawks bring in who is as good as Flynn and will cost them less than $1.25 M? If they can't trade him, I believe they will keep him as the backup for one more year. That does not exclude them from drafting a developmental QB in the later rounds.


Last edited by canfan on Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Peter King on Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:51 pm 
NET Rookie
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:24 am
Posts: 143
Here are some facts

www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-analysis/20 ... te-carroll

In cap money (which is the only thing the seahawks need to care about right now)

Keeping Matt for 2013 costs 9m (7m cap 2013 + 2m dead money in 2014)

Trading Matt costs 4m + backup qb cost.

We can easily afford 5m cap in next two years. Can we afford a backup qb?

A backup qb is going to cost a relatively high draft pick (a fourth? Fifth?) Probably more than what we will get for Matt. Then you have to pay him 0.5m and hope he doesn't need to win a game for you, let alone finish the season.

So what do you think. Save 4.5m cap and give up a productive pick or keep Matt?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Peter King on Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:55 pm 
* NET Alumni *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:35 am
Posts: 4589
Location: Seattle, WA
I really just do not understand the blind faith some people continue to have in Flynn. A dude that's proven less than Kevin Kolb did before his big break. I'm sorry if I appear biased on Matt Flynn. But I have NEVER been able to get over the fact that most of the people I've read on this site & heard on the radio champion him, were the same people that led the Charlie Whitehurst brigade. That's not Flynn's fault at all. But I can't get past it.

_________________
http://twitter.com/EJZ206


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Peter King on Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:55 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:04 pm
Posts: 1979
Numbers aside if he's not traded they will retain the rights to him next year, they won't let him walk so any other team in the NFL can pick him up .


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Peter King on Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:58 pm 
* NET Alumni *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:35 am
Posts: 4589
Location: Seattle, WA
General Manager wrote:
Numbers aside if he's not traded they will retain the rights to him next year, they won't let him walk so any other team in the NFL can pick him up .


I don't think that's true at all. The reason they don't release him if they can't find a trade, is that the cap hit makes it not worth it. He almost counts as much towards the cap released as he does on the roster. And with that in mind, you keep the guy as a solid backup. To release him and still take his cap hit, you'd need to find a backup at a very low rate to even stay at the same level. In that case, you keep Flynn. And it has nothing to do with other teams. If anything, I think the Hawks would like to give Matt a chance elsewhere if they could. But not if it doesn't make sense to their cap and roster.

_________________
http://twitter.com/EJZ206


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Peter King on Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:03 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:47 pm
Posts: 2824
Location: Seattle
Cap hit aside, cutting/moving Flynn saves real money, too. Like actual, real dollars. Maybe that can be put to better use than a guy everyone has just assumed is good enough to take us to a Superbowl if Russell gets hurt that is really just going to sit on a bench being a grump all year.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Peter King on Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:55 pm 
NET Rookie
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:24 am
Posts: 143
I was not clear enough. Real money really really does not matter. Real money can not be put to any use other than coaches paychecks.

The NFL is playing the salary cap game to make sure franchises remain profitable and you have to follow those rules.

The rules are simple, you can spend a hundred nfl bucks per year, anything you dont spend you can roll into next year.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Peter King on Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:07 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:07 pm
Posts: 1426
theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
AgentDib wrote:
How many of Wilson's snaps would you want to give this rookie in training camp?


As many as Kirk Cousins had last summer.

He came on in relief and led a come-from-behind victory against the eventual Super Bowl Champions.


Led is a very strong word for the game you are espousing. Having watched that game I can tell you that the two passes that Cousins threw were both very easy passes where Cousins stared down the receiver and the safeties didn't make the correct read. In fact the In Route that was his first completion is a completion he made repeatedly in his highlights. You know the team that figured that out? Us. It was the same route that they were running when Jeron Johnson knocked down Cousins' pass. His game against Cleveland was good, but Cleveland's pass defense was not good last year.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Peter King on Matt Flynn
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:34 am 
* NET Sage *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 4:55 pm
Posts: 4371
After that Alex Smith trade, we'd be freaking stupid to outright cut him now.

_________________
February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ak3000, Atradees, Blitzer88, CHawks4L, Escamillo, Google [Bot], hawknation2014, Meeker, rideaducati, seadoc30, Seahawksfan425, Smoke and Beers, TDBinOLY, TheHawkster, TheRealDTM, two dog, UK_Seahawk, Yahoo [Bot] and 113 guests

 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Seahawks.NET is an independent fan site and not associated with the Seattle Seahawks or the NFL (National Football League).
All content within this Seahawks fan page is provided by, and for, Seattle Seahawks fans. Copyright © Seahawks.NET.