Peter King on Matt Flynn

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Peter King just did a spot during the NFL Network's combine coverage. Said there's some validity to Kansas City trading for Alex Smith for a mid/late round pick. When asked about Matt Flynn, he said he thinks he'll be released -- citing a non-existent market and a desire to get his salary off the books.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Would anyone be disappointed if we took Flynn and packaged him with say our 2nd round pick, and used that to just move up in the 2nd round? I know I wouldn't be.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Throwdown":3vfvr66k said:
Would anyone be disappointed if we took Flynn and packaged him with say our 2nd round pick, and used that to just move up in the 2nd round? I know I wouldn't be.

The cost equivalent to trade from 57 to say 40 would be equivalent to about a mid 3rd round pick value. I'd say it would be a stretch to think he's worth that much at this point.

The stupid thing about this is that I would have given up a 4th last year in a heartbeat to get Flynn from GB for 5M per season. I guess a ton of good QBs made the market pretty saturated.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
I don't buy it. Doesn't make sense to cut him, his salary isn't prohibiting anything.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":hg4269ev said:
Makes no sense to release him. Pete's had one too many lattes.

It does if you don't want your starter earning peanuts for the next few years while the backup earns $7.25m.

Cutting Flynn saves $1.25m in 2013, $2m in 2014 and $5.25m in cash. Some people disagree, but personally I can't wait for the backup QB to just be the cheap guy who holds a clipboard again. A nobody who never takes the field. I don't think we need an expensive backup, in fact I'd rather see which QB's are left between rounds 3-7, draft one and hope to develop them into a better trade asset just like Washington did with Kirk Cousins or New England did with Cassel.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
I don't know about King. Alex Smith and the Niners are actually reported to be in the same boat as he said Flynn and the Hawks are. No one has shown interest yet, because the 49ers said they'd attempt to trade him and cut him early for FA if they couldn't.

Seahawks have said no such thing regarding cutting Flynn.

He doesn't earn points with me for objectivity. Sure, Smith is probably a safer bet on paper, but the Niners shot themselves in the foot saying they wouldn't screw him.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":frguqti5 said:
FlyingGreg":frguqti5 said:
Makes no sense to release him. Pete's had one too many lattes.

It does if you don't want your starter earning peanuts for the next few years while the backup earns $7.25m.

Cutting Flynn saves $1.25m in 2013, $2m in 2014 and $5.25m in cash. Some people disagree, but personally I can't wait for the backup QB to just be the cheap guy who holds a clipboard again. A nobody who never takes the field. I don't think we need an expensive backup, in fact I'd rather see which QB's are left between rounds 3-7, draft one and hope to develop them into a better trade asset just like Washington did with Kirk Cousins or New England did with Cassel.
Well to be fair, the only reasons those two are/were trade assets was because both saw time at QB. Brady missed an entire season and RG3 missed a game due to injuries.

A competent backup, IMO, is big. But the only way for a backup to get value as a trade asset is if they see significant playing time, and none of us want that. Also, I think it's generous to call Kirk Cousins a trade asset. No one knows what kind of QB he really is.

chris98251

Reaction score
Wilson understands the contracts in the NFL by now, knowing we have a legit player behind him for the teams sake isn't going to phase him, Flynns salary is time in the business which Wilson knows he will receive when his contract allows. It's the CBA that is limiting what the Seahawks can do not anything else. If we had a volatile personality I think then we could see more issues, we don't so I say we will keep Flynn unless something comes up. King isn't all that reliable anyway any more the Clayton when it comes to players moving. Also it's still early yet, lots of things are up in the air and could change how the teams needing a QB end up looking.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Here's a poser for you...

What if Seattle has found another QB they like in the rounds 3-7 range? Someone they like almost as much as Wilson?

Not impossible, especially with 11 picks.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2yczfeln said:

What if Seattle has found another QB they like in the rounds 3-7 range? Someone they like almost as much as Wilson?

Come on. There won't be a guy they liked "almost as much as Wilson" for the next decade, let alone in this draft. :141847_bnono: This years QB class is weak, and everyone knows it.

You don't release a quality back-up like Flynn because of cap savings, and both Pete and John have already said they won't do that. Trading him is a different story, because at least you get something in return.

But a release? Nope, doesn't make sense.

chris98251

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1ot7g9tm said:

We sign him at the salary based on pick position of a whole 225,000 or something to that effect , maybe less, hardly a bank breaker and if he is all world like Wilson we have even better situation where Wilson starts, Flynn backs up and the new guy learns the system so if and when he's called upon the offense doesn't have to be spoon fed to him like it was Wilsons first 8 games.

A new draft pick QB would actually make our position much the same as it was with Portis on the roster last year.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2lrhiq25 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":2lrhiq25 said:

Come on. There won't be a guy they liked "almost as much as Wilson" for the next decade, let alone in this draft. :141847_bnono: This years QB class is weak, and everyone knows it.

You don't release a quality back-up like Flynn because of cap savings, and both Pete and John have already said they won't do that. Trading him is a different story, because at least you get something in return.

If you say they can't find a QB they like as much as Wilson, then it must be fact. :roll:

We'll see what happens. Too many legit people are talking about it for it to be an impossible scenario.

HawaiiHawkFan

Reaction score
If Alex Smith has proven that he can't get to the SB with the most complete team in the NFL around him why would any other team think Smith can win with them? Flynn has a higher ceiling because he could very well be better than Smith. In other words Flynn hasn't proved that he can't.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
chris98251":urcrlza8 said:
We sign him at the salary based on pick position of a whole 225,000 or something to that effect , maybe less, hardly a bank breaker and if he is all world like Wilson we have even better situation where Wilson starts, Flynn backs up and the new guy learns the system so if and when he's called upon the offense doesn't have to be spoon fed to him like it was Wilsons first 8 games.

A new draft pick QB would actually make our position much the same as it was with Portis on the roster last year.

Or you just cut Flynn, save $3m in total cap over the next two years and an extra $5.25m in cash. All the while doing no different than Washington did with Kirk Cousins.

Hey - I'm not saying I definitely think Flynn will be cut. I could see all situations occurring. But I'm surprised how many people refuse to accept that a team that basically paid Houshmandzadeh and Curry to go away won't do the same with a $7.25m backup.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1swt543b said:
FlyingGreg":1swt543b said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1swt543b said:

If you say they can't find a QB they like as much as Wilson, then it must be fact. :roll:

We'll see what happens. Too many legit people are talking about it for it to be an impossible scenario.

Who would like they like as much as Wilson? He's a once in a generation QB. I'd love to hear a name instead of fantasy. And the only "legit people" that matter reside in the Seahawks front office. And it's ok to apply a common sense model and not have to be persuaded by the media. I don't need Peter King to dictate my thoughts.

:180670:

There's a huge difference between releasing him for nothing and trying to trade him for something.

I don't see Flynn on the roster come September, I guess I just differ in the mechanism of how that transpires.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Much of Flynn's 2013 salary is guaranteed, so cutting him doesn't save as much $$ as people think ... and combined with the fact that he's a reliable backup who should be able to win us a game or 2 if needed ... I really think he'll be a Seahawk this season. After this year, his salary goes up and it's a lot less likely we would keep him.

My guess -- they'll redo his deal, cut his salary by a $2M or so, an waive the last year so he'll be a free agency in 2014. Call it the Hill/Trufant plan.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":37ywrdie said:
Who would like they like as much as Wilson? He's a once in a generation QB. I'd love to hear a name instead of fantasy. And the only "legit people" that matter reside in the Seahawks front office. And it's ok to apply a common sense model and not have to be persuaded by the media. I don't need Peter King to dictate my thoughts.

Well, the Seahawks almost certainly didn't see Wilson as a 'once in a generation' type QB last year otherwise they wouldn't have waited until round three to draft him. It's very easy for any of us to sit here and say Schneider and Carroll forecast Wilson to be the sensation he's been. The reality is probably more that they simply liked him a ton and took him in a round where they believed he was good value with a shot to be an eventual starter.

Credit where credit's due for having the foresight to draft him, and even more credit for turning him into what he became... but Schneider admitted this week that while he liked Wilson, he didn't expect what we saw in 2012. It worked out better than I'm sure anyone expected.

There's every chance there's a quarterback out there that they like a lot within this class too. Enough to grade him in a similar, if not exact fashion to Wilson. I could give you names, like Sean Renfree, Colby Cameron and Matt Scott, and you could ask 'who are these guys'? Well they're pretty good, mobile quarterbacks who could run a similar playbook to Wilson. Renfree and Cameron in particular have starter potential. And they might be there in round four or five. There are other QB's who if they fall to a certain level (Manuel, Bray, Wilson) that you'd simply have to consider. The way Tyler Bray threw today, I'd be hard pushed to pass on him in round three the same way New England struggled to pass on Ryan Mallett. Either way, there's a chance that Schneider and Carroll feel that they can get another good young QB on this roster. And they won't necessarily have to like them exactly as much as Wilson, but they could have a grade high enough that they believe it's worth the pick and that they can be a backup early like Kirk Cousins.

So going this route isn't so ridiculous. More and more rookies start these days, and we're just talking about being an early backup.

And nobody is saying you need Peter King to 'dictate your thoughts'. His opinion though, dare I say, is more qualified than yours or mine. He's the one going to U2 gigs with John Schneider after all. I could see a trade, him staying or him being cut. This is an option, though.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":16dwr2xe said:
Much of Flynn's 2013 salary is guaranteed, so cutting him doesn't save as much $$ as people think ... and combined with the fact that he's a reliable backup who should be able to win us a game or 2 if needed ... I really think he'll be a Seahawk this season. After this year, his salary goes up and it's a lot less likely we would keep him.

My guess -- they'll redo his deal, cut his salary by a $2M or so, an waive the last year so he'll be a free agency in 2014. Call it the Hill/Trufant plan.

Yup. Reasonable.

Latest posts