Franchise tag period begins today

Spokane

Reaction score
Here is the free agent list. We all know the PC/JS combo will not overpay for a player. So what player earned being payed the top 5 cash last year?

Leroy Hill
Alan Branch
Patrick Chukwurah
Steven Hauschka
Jason Jones
Ryan Longwell
Cameron Morrah
Frank Omiyale
Marcus Trufant

I would say none of these guys were even close to being the top 5 of their position. Most of theses guys were hurt at some point or is hurt. Maybe tag Hill for need reasons.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Kicker would make a lot of sense, if I'm not mistaken the franchise tag isn't even guaranteed so if they cut Hauschka because we got a better kicker there is no loss.

The franchise tag for a tackle is over 7 million, I hope you're kidding mentioning Jason Jones.

mikeak

Reaction score
I heard about this on the radio in regards to Flacco. I guess Baltimore can re-sign him in 2 weeks or have to use the franchise tag. Now are they allowed to negotiate a long-term deal after using the franchise tag? I am pretty sure there are some specific limits on that but not sure if there are windows where it can be done.

So how is that Seahawks relevant? Because after next year Sherman is up. The interesting thing is you can't re-sign him now like you could with Flacco or other veterans. You cannot sign him until after next season. So there is very limited value in negotiating now. If Sherman believes (I think he does) that he will play at the same level or better next season he will want to wait with negotiations to increase his leverage. Say the Seahawks go deep in the playoffs that would mean starting negotiations for a very large contract at the end of January and if you don't have it done by beginning of March you may be stuck with a franchise tag.

Well after writing all that I found that Sherman has a four-year deal just like RW and are non eligible for 3 years. So I believe the rookies can sign 3 or 4 year deals depending on circumstances so it will be interesting to see how players signing 3 years are getting deals done in the limited time available

pehawk

Reaction score
Might as well do Haushka - only 2M I believe.

hawksmode

Reaction score
pehawk":3hql4ac2 said:
Pstark3":3hql4ac2 said:
Tru or Leroy. maybe omiyale

And just let Morrah walk for nothing? You're dumb.

Hope not...I am hoping neither of them are on the team next year.

Hauschka if they cannot sign him might make sense.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Wes Welker hasn't been franchised by the Patriots. Would the Seahawks be interested and could they afford him?

drdiags

Reaction score
From Sando's Perspective on Franchise Tag

Code:
2013 Projected Franchise Player Values*
Rank	Pos.	Value
01	QB.	$14,642,000
02	DE.	$10,984,000
03	CB.	$10,668,000
04	WR.	$10,357,000
05	OL..	$9,660,000
06	LB..	$9,455,000
07	DT..	$8,306,000
08	RB..	$8,079,000
09	S...	$6,798,000
10	TE..	$5,962,000
11	K/P.	$2,926,000
* Non-Exclusive Franchise Players Only

pehawk

Reaction score
hawksmode":3qxbrukx said:
pehawk":3qxbrukx said:
Pstark3":3qxbrukx said:
Tru or Leroy. maybe omiyale

And just let Morrah walk for nothing? You're dumb.

Hope not...I am hoping neither of them are on the team next year.

Hauschka if they cannot sign him might make sense.

Yeah, well some of us want to win, NOW! You can't let a dude like Morrah walk if you want to win. Hell, same goes for Tru and Hill. JS really mismanaged this by allowing those 3 to hit the market this year.

If only they had last to Rams in '10.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Welker is good, but I think they are ok with Baldwin. I see them looking at D. Walker at TE from SF. I don't think SF will tag him. I have my eye on a TE as the drop off after miller. Both of the backups drop the ball too much and lack the speed walker has