Could there be some satisfaction...

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
... in signing Phil Loadholt, RT, from the Vikings when they are a team headed in the right direction and remove a key blocking piece for AP to mess up the continuity of their line? Loadholt is listed as a potential desirable FA target. I wonder how athletic he is at 343 lbs. Anyone know enough about him whether he would be a fit for the Hawks line? I don't know about anyone else... but, even though it may not fully compare... I would love to see the Hawks return the favor. Burleson was great... but, not nearly enough payback. Seems like it would be a great time to do that to the Vikings when it would impact them. I know we signed Sidney Rice. But, I still want blood. (Man, what's wrong with me?)

Scottemojo

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":17c7hfah said:
... in signing Phil Loadholt, RT, from the Vikings when they are a team headed in the right direction and remove a key blocking piece for AP to mess up the continuity of their line? Loadholt is listed as a potential desirable FA target. I wonder how athletic he is at 343 lbs. Anyone know enough about him whether he would be a fit for the Hawks line? I don't know about anyone else... but, even though it may not fully compare... I would love to see the Hawks return the favor. Burleson was great... but, not nearly enough payback. Seems like it would be a great time to do that to the Vikings when it would impact them. I know we signed Sidney Rice. But, I still want blood. (Man, what's wrong with me?)
Loadholt kinda stinks. He would be worse at RT than Breno.

OP
OP
TeamoftheCentury

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2l2vr86p said:
TeamoftheCentury":2l2vr86p said:
Loadholt kinda stinks. He would be worse at RT than Breno.
Think so? Not that I don't like Breno... but, he does get stupid penalties sometimes. From what I read, in general... sounds like there is a desire to upgrade the right side of the line. I wouldn't have posted about Loadholt if he wasn't listed as a top 3 to 5 free agent RT. So, to simply have a response that says "he kinda stinks" when he was the starting RT for a line that plowed opened holes for AP... you've got me scratching my head there a bit. But, my purpose isn't as much about contending for the player rather than "would he be worth sticking it to the Vikings". So, no big deal. What is it about Loadholt that gives him the reputation you attribute to him? Does he get penalized more than Breno? Oft injured? Sounds like the Vikings list him as a priority to retain. ??? hence, my somewhat sinister post.

Sprfunk

Reaction score
Take them all. Then take their lunch money, the Timberwolves, and then take their wives and firstborns.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Sprfunk":21egrf2n said:
Take them all. Then take their lunch money, the Timberwolves, and then take their wives and firstborns.

2 NBA teams? Lord, I'd be in heaven

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Seattle ranked 3rd overall in Adjusted Run Avg. Interestingly, they ranked 8th on the left end, 4th on the left tackle, 21st up the middle, 16th on the right end and 1st on the right tackle. So I think Breno's doing his job run blocking. Don't put too much stock in that right end ranking as we only ran 4% of our rushes at the right end. 21st up the middle isn't good, however. We ran 41% of our rushes up the middle and we are a below average team on that play.

Seattle only ranked 20th in adjusted sack rate. 7.2% ouch! That's even with Wilson scrambling around out there. I'd say we need to focus on a pass blocking linesman.

Axx

Reaction score
Guards are our weakness in the O-line, specifically RG. There is no reason to go after a RT when RG is our major weakness.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I expect the O-line to take a huge step forward this upcoming season. Last year (early in the year) Wilson was scrambling at times he should have been staying in the pocket and often evading the pocket when he didn't need to. The problem is your offensive line can't protect him nearly as well as a pocket QB that the linesman know where he is at at all times. Wilson improved his pocket presence significantly as the year went on and I expect that to continue to improve. With that the O-line will become more stable and pass blocking will improve.

Breno seemed to really get his penalties under control as the year went on but he is a guy who plays through the whistle and while that is what you want, most of his penalties were for exactly that. He is a mauler and enforcer and that is a trait you want from your O-lineman. I also think Sweezy has that trait and that is why they are working so hard to get him up to full speed. You want those guys upfront to have a take no shit attitude. They are the enforcers of the offence and set the tone and Breno is definitely the lead by example type of guy you want.

You might be able to upgrade some of his technique and talent a little but you will take a huge hit in attitude on the whole line and that is much harder to find.

Spokane

Reaction score
I have wanted Phil on the team from draft day! Yes the cowboy needs more improvement then Taylor Swift's voice, but he is a monster!

Started 63 games of 63 games played. I would pull the trigger all day on this with the hopes our staff can show him some moves.

That kid he is beating up is Clay Matthews

Attachments

• Phil_Loadholt,_Clay_Matthews.jpg
    Phil_Loadholt,_Clay_Matthews.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 2,886

two dog

Reaction score
I dunno, seems like that king size body might not be the best for a zone blocking system

I'll be the first to admit that I have not mastered offensive line knowledge but isn't the
ZBS predicated upon quick reads and movement skills.
It's harder to change direction with an aircraft carrier than a destroyer...or am I missing something?

Spokane

Reaction score
The reason why Phil was drafted in the 2nd round is not because the dude is 7 foot and 500 pounds. It was because he is a freakish athlete that is 7 foot and 500 pounds.

In school he played both sides of the line, racked up as many awards as he could and broke records.

Here is his problem (like Peaches said) he is awful! Also take a guess what his high school GPA was? This is not a typo, 1.23

Do you know how a person gets a 1.23 and still passes? He HAD to fail MANY of his classes, then retake those classes just to get a low D,

This guy has the speed and quickness to play the ZBS, I have no question about that. But is he smart enough to learn the details required? Not even close.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Loadholt would fit in here. We could put a fur suit on him and have him meander through the woods stirring up Bigfoot sightings.

That dude is massive (like 6'8", 350)! Too bad he doesn't play like it.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
There's going to be like 300 players available in free agency. Do we need a thread about each one of them???

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Axx":2fp7fgi2 said:
Guards are our weakness in the O-line, specifically RG. There is no reason to go after a RT when RG is our major weakness.
Not that Loadholt is an upgrade, but your statement (imo) isn't true.

There's no "first this, then this" in terms of building a team. Yes, some needs outway others, but if there's an upgrade available, a team won't ignore it.

It's not like PC and JS say to themselves "we can't even think about upgrading RT until we fix RG" or "we can't get a WR until after we get a DT"