Richard Sherman...the Monster "THEY" created.

Shadyhawk182

Reaction score
This has probably been discussed before, but not quite the same way i'm about to put it, but if it has, i apologize.
Richard Sherman, the Trash Talker, the "cheater" He does too much of this, does too much of that.
But people dont stop and realize, THEY made him who he his *personality wise*
Richard Sherman has said many times in many interviews, he trash talks when he feels he, or the Hawks, arent being respected.
Well, minus this season, the Seahawks have been one of the most disrespected teams, if not THE most disrespected team.
So think about it, lets say Sherman plays for the Steelers, the Cowboys, the Patriots, even the Niners, any number of teams.
Sherman might still jaw a little, but being on those teams would get him more recognition.
He might still jaw at other players, but it would be considered more of him being a hard nosed football player who gets in your face more then just trash talking. But with more national recognition being on one of those teams, he would probably be more widely considered up there with Revis, so the trash talking wouldnt be as much. Because he would be more respected nationally.
But he doesnt, hes OURS, he is a SEAHAWK, yes sports analysts and other who follow closely will recognize how good he is, but for the most part, the nation doesnt think twice about the Seahawks, not yet anyway.
So the point of this long winded post.
Richard Sherman, this man is a physical manifestation of how WE ALL feel.
People dont want to recognize how good this team is, fine, thats there choice.
BUT WE WILL CONTINUE TO MAKE NOISE UNTIL WE GET THAT RESPECT WE WILL TAKE IT!
Just like how Sherm will talk trash to anyone who isnt giving him the respect HE and the SEAHAWKS deserve.
He is the monster they created.
2013-2014...the Seahawks are the monsters they created.

Galen96

Reaction score
The seahawks are the most bet team to win next year's superbowl.... So you're wrong in that most of the nation doesn't think twice... they are well aware of us.

OP
OP
S

Shadyhawk182

Reaction score
No they all go off of analyst hype.
Minus Russell Wilson and Marshawn Lynch, i doubt hardly anoyone could name players on our team.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Great freaking post, man. Kind of sick and tired of the whole, "Sherman needs to shut up" crowd. He's speaking for all of the 12th Man. We've played the nice guys far too long and all that's got us is a one-sided SB appearance. I feel like Sherman identifies more with the 12th than a lot of purported 12th.

fsmassey

Reaction score
We're up and coming, I'd say our period of being disrespected should be behind us... This was a break out year, and only a foolish team would underestimate us now.

But, you're right about Sherman. He's actually one of the players who has had a key role in making our team become recognized and (hopefully) respected, he gave the Seahawks a ton of attention, and credit, the day he ripped Brady. Unfortunately, for all he's done for the Seahawks nation, his actions are vilified by other teams and fans. He takes all the bad publicity, while at the same time promoting the 'Hawks and 12th man.

Bless that man. Maybe I should get a Sherman jersey over a Lynch... hm....

chris98251

Reaction score
I think we have got so used to the Mild mannered Steve Largent, Jim Zorn, Walter Jones, Ken Griffey, Felix Hernandez, Ichiro, stars here in Seattle that are pretty tame as far as media, interviews and talking any trash that we forget about a few that backed up everything they have said like Gary Payton, Joey Galloway, Randy Johnson in his own way, and would dare someone to challange them to shut them up in many instances. Sherman is calculating in his baiting, obviously very smart. He is also using every slight and slur as a way to step not only his game but the teams game play up as WE.

When he can't back up the talk he needs to shut up, until then if he can take away a teams focus to make them listen or try to challange him for locker room material it just plays into this teams hands. They will be more worried about trying to prove Sherman wrong then winning a game.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
It works so don't try to fix it! He is playing his roll well!

Rainger

Reaction score
"He is the monster they created.
2013-2014...the Seahawks are the monsters they created"

I get your post and I saw a change in the media this year but actually the Hawks are the monsters uncle Pete and JS created, not them.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
The one thing I wish he'd shut up about is the draft.

So he got picked in the 5th round. Boo Hoo. The only thing it means is money, something he'll make plenty of. Once you get to training camp, and you can show you can play, then draft position means very little. How much did it mean that Anton Palepoi and Ike Charlton were 2nd round picks? They couldn't play the game and were gone.

Seriously, from a fan's perspective ... does it matter any more that Russell Wilson was a 3rd round pick and Brandon Weeden was a 1st round pick? Which one do you want now?

If being a lower draft pick somehow puts a chip on their shoulder and motivates them, then I suppose whatever floats your boat .. I just don't get that 13 years later Tom Brady is still worked up over being a 6th round pick. Dude's one of the greats of all times and everybody recognizes that. As a fan, I just don't get the big whooop.

The true flaw in the draft is you can't truly judge NFL ability until you get into an NFL camp. That problem will never be solved and guys like Sherman need to stop pretending it will.

Killa Kam

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":29qao02t said:
That problem will never be solved and guys like Sherman need to stop pretending it will.

Isn't that the point though, its something that they can FOREVER use as extra motivation. Michael Jordan is considered the greatest and even he during his hall of fame speech called out the coach that cut him in high school, lol and thats over 20 years ago. I can see how you can find it annoying but that's how Sherman and a lot of great players are built, I guarantee Russell Wilson feels the exact same way about the qb's taken ahead of him,

From MJ himself during his h.o.f speech

And then there's Leroy Smith. Now you guys think that's a myth. Leroy Smith was a guy when I got cut he made the team - on the Varsity team - and he's here tonight. He's still the same 6'7" guy - he's not any bigger - probably his game is about the same. But he started the whole process with me, because when he made the team and I didn't, I wanted to prove not just to Leroy Smith, not just to myself, but to the coach that picked Leroy over me, I wanted to make sure you understood - you made a mistake dude. (laughter, applause)

lol I can imagine Shermans speech sounding something like this but naming ever corner drafted ahead of him instead

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I hear what you're saying -- but the MJ HOF speech I also thought was kind of silly so really you're making my point.

Look, I have no idea what it really means to be a high level professional athlete (or even low level for that matter) so if that's what motivates them, then so be it. I'm just saying from this fan's perspective, it seems awfully weak.

MJ is doing a lot of work lately defending his legacy as the greatest of all time against Lebron. I also think that's a little short sided but I can at least understand it. But the one guy Jordan doesn't need to compare himself to is Sam Bowie or for that matter Leroy Smith.

Probably back then the coach DID make the right decision cutting Jordan. And Jordan learned from it and worked harder than everybody else and became the best ever. That's just a tribute to hard work and dedication. It's not a story of disrespect IMO.

I'm kind of rambling -- I just think 'disrespect' among players is dumb and means little to the typical fan.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Back to Sherman -- his HOF speech would have a lot to do with how he converted to defense late in his college career and embraced the challenge to become a great CB, hopefully winning a few superbowls along the way. However if he starts going in on how everybody doubted him and said he couldn't do it and he was shafted in the draft -- I would lose interest quickly.

drdiags

Reaction score
Sherman having to point out that the Roddy White TD wasn't really his fault wasn't a us vs them argument. It threw Chancellor under the bus or anyone but Sherman.

Sherman thoughts on Draft and Roddy White

OK, Richard, then how do you explain White's 47-yard touchdown reception in the third quarter of last month's playoff game? The one that came with you in coverage?

"During that game, for example, the play where he caught the touchdown, the touchdown wasn't really on me, to tell the truth," Sherman said. "But I'm not going to throw a teammate under the bus, because I'm not that kind of player. If that's what you guys want to say, I'll take it."

(NFL.com's Dan Hanzus looked at the tape and confirms Sherman's assessment of what went wrong on the play.)

He is going to extract his pound of flesh and it starts with his next contract. Wasn't just 31 other teams that passed on him 4 times.

Smart guy, very affable and provides a next level look at how players see the game. He is a Seahawk and for that I am thankful. It will be interesting to see how his career unfolds over the next decade if he remains healthy.

He mentioned himself that he wants to tone down his reputation for trash talking, since he doesn't want to be defined by that but rather his play. We will see. Those who relish in his bravado, enjoy it but all know that Sherman has clearly put an x on his back. The media loves to have these type of players who don't spout the company line. But it is because they love to have someone they can pummel as that player begins his descent.

Richard has made it so you don't need an aging T.O to get the 4-letter networks showing up at the VMAC. He, Wilson and Lynch will make it worth the media's efforts to come up here.

chris98251

Reaction score
I can see the chip on the shoulder mentality, nobody believed or thought him good enough to take a risk on. He had to beleive in himself due to no body else. be it MJ, Brady, Sherman, Wilson.

The thing is that chip once placed does not go away, that player proved that his own motivation pushed him to the top, it won't be forgotton, the bandwagon of beleivers and cling ons going forward are always going to be turn coats that want to grab a ride. Some players are going to remind them what they are in so much of where were you before etc.

Subzero717

Reaction score
drdiags":1iqrm0xk said:
Sherman having to point out that the Roddy White TD wasn't really his fault wasn't a us vs them argument. It threw Chancellor under the bus or anyone but Sherman.

Sherman thoughts on Draft and Roddy White

OK, Richard, then how do you explain White's 47-yard touchdown reception in the third quarter of last month's playoff game? The one that came with you in coverage?

"During that game, for example, the play where he caught the touchdown, the touchdown wasn't really on me, to tell the truth," Sherman said. "But I'm not going to throw a teammate under the bus, because I'm not that kind of player. If that's what you guys want to say, I'll take it."

(NFL.com's Dan Hanzus looked at the tape and confirms Sherman's assessment of what went wrong on the play.)

He is going to extract his pound of flesh and it starts with his next contract. Wasn't just 31 other teams that passed on him 4 times.

Smart guy, very affable and provides a next level look at how players see the game. He is a Seahawk and for that I am thankful. It will be interesting to see how his career unfolds over the next decade if he remains healthy.

He mentioned himself that he wants to tone down his reputation for trash talking, since he doesn't want to be defined by that but rather his play. We will see. Those who relish in his bravado, enjoy it but all know that Sherman has clearly put an x on his back. The media loves to have these type of players who don't spout the company line. But it is because they love to have someone they can pummel as that player begins his descent.

Richard has made it so you don't need an aging T.O to get the 4-letter networks showing up at the VMAC. He, Wilson and Lynch will make it worth the media's efforts to come up here.

The funny thing about him throwing Kam under the bus was saying he wasn't going to do it as he did it. Trash talk is fine with me but calling out players and calling yourself the best everyday gets old.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Just ask most any 9rs fan, and fans of other teams that suck up all the hype (Patriots, Packers, Cowboys, Steelers etc.) they'll tell you that Sherman should just shut up and be a member of an also ran team.
Just how many of THOSE fans would have recognized the Seahawks as the team that was cheated out of the win in XL?,,You got your answer.
Sherman is saying "hey, you may not like me, but you will respect me, because you'll have to prove to the world that me or my bruthas in the Secondary are'nt right up there with the best"..."Want me to shut the hell up?, make me"

As was mentioned a little farther back up the hill in this post, outside of Russell Wilson, and Marshawn Lynch, and maybe Pete Carroll, almost nobody knows nor cares about the Seahawks as a team.
The survey showing who most of the fans around the Nation would want as their QB for the next 10 Years, tells you that they think that the Seahawks are still not a team that is taken seriously, and to them I say, "EAT IT, OR WE GONNA FORCE FEED YOU"

Subzero717

Reaction score
We just sent six guys to the Pro Bowl and four named to the All Pro team. Can we stop with "We are disrespected" nonsense. Why are we so sensitive?

chris98251

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":1cc1vhhb said:
We just sent six guys to the Pro Bowl and four named to the All Pro team. Can we stop with "We are disrespected" nonsense. Why are we so sensitive?

Where vegas is betting on us becasue it's a good bet, forecasters are not picking us yet to do anything even in the division. That can be perceived as not respected if your on this team and as a fan.

Granted the 49ers won it last year and common sense says until you knock them off you should be ranked behind, but when did common sense play into home town fans and players on a team that are paid to be the best at what they do.