LEAVE RED ALONE!!

lukerguy

Reaction score
Seahawks LE Red Bryant played with a torn plantar fascia in his foot for the second half of the 2012 season.
That likely explains Bryant's down season versus the run. After grading out as a top-12 run defending end in 2011 at Pro Football Focus, he dropped all the way to No. 49 in 2012. Seattle still boasted the tenth-ranked run defense in the league, so look for them to only get better this upcoming season. Bryant, 29 in April, is entering the second year of a five-year, $35 million contract. Feb 14 - 5:50 PM
Source: Tacoma News Tribune

I've heard people say, "get rid of the Red Bryant experiment"...Leave Red Alone!! haha jk

Seriously though, this is was an elite penetrator in 2011...obviously something had to be up. I don't know if any of you have had plantar fascia issues, but I have..and it's very painful. To have it torn must be excruciating and would be debilitating from an anchoring perspective which is what penetrating the Oline is all about. You can't be a good GM and have knee-jerk type reactions..

Before you say we need a new "elephant" in our D, please give him a chance to get better. We won't be drafting or signing his replacement this year..I can guarantee you that.

(Disclaimer: swear words in this video)
[youtube]kHmvkRoEowc[/youtube]

joeshaney

Reaction score
True....and this is good news.

We NEED this guy back at 100% just as bad as we need Bruce to develop into an every down LEO.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I dont want him off the team, he definitly has a role, but i'd like somebody more athletic starting in that position.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
32370322.jpg

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Red was hurt in 2011 and played hurt in 2012. We just need depth at the position. When he is a 100% he is pretty good. When he is not or out we have a significant drop off. Plantar Fasciitis can be slow healing . It has ruined players when it becomes chronic we need to be better prepared for him not being 100%

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I still have a problem with the scheme. Because Red brings no pass rush healthy or not, we relied all too often on getting it from only one player: Clemons. That did not work. The pass rush has to be improved, and Red's role needs to be reassessed.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
I have to agree w/scheme problem. If Red is 100% and dominating and we're top 5 against the run then awesome the lack of pass rush is worth it. But when Red isn't playing great hurt whatever to let our run D slip down into teens and still not benefiting the pass rush that's when i have an issue.

Jville

Reaction score
I've bought in.

I like an organization that can scheme for a non-prototypical, hybrid, too this or that to play ...... on a mission with a chip on their shoulder player to daze and confuse the opposition. And right now, there is no other organization in the league like this one.

And yea, I'm uncomfortable with certain aspects because I don't understand all of what the the staff is doing. But on a good day, when it all comes together, the shock and amazement is all worth it.

I give this Seahawk organization two thumbs up :th2thumbs:

kearly

Reaction score
That type of foot injury tends to linger, and operating on it is generally a last resort. Even when he was healthy he was really hurting the pass rush. IMO, the team needs to start discussing options at his spot this offseason, and it wouldn't surprise me if there was some "competition" there next summer. His big contract puts a target on his back too.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":2vzmbnu8 said:
I still have a problem with the scheme. Because Red brings no pass rush healthy or not, we relied all too often on getting it from only one player: Clemons. That did not work. The pass rush has to be improved, and Red's role needs to be reassessed.

That same scheme ranked first in scoring defense in 2012. What needs to be reassessed is at what point does Red's injury hinder him from performing at a better level than his backup.
I want the pass rush improved as well, but as a modification to certain schemes rather than alter the overall scheme.

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3db0xhj0 said:
I dont want him off the team, he definitly has a role, but i'd like somebody more athletic starting in that position.

I don't wanna agree with that, But I kinda do.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Basis4day":1h9or4nh said:
Missing_Clink":1h9or4nh said:

That same scheme ranked first in scoring defense in 2012. What needs to be reassessed is at what point does Red's injury hinder him from performing at a better level than his backup.
I want the pass rush improved as well, but as a modification to certain schemes rather than alter the overall scheme.

Being #1 in scoring defense is ... almost as important as being able to preserve a late lead (see Detroit, Miami, Chicago, Atlanta games). I'm game for whatever we have to do to improve the pass rush.

But it was obvious Red was playing hurt. What's up with the torn plantar fascia on the Hawks this season? That's what Miller had as well.

Basis4day

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3hounmhv said:

I want to believe his drop off this year had everything to do with his foot. If it has completely hampered him, yes, reevaluation might be needed.

McGruff

Reaction score
JSeahawks":337xdg1e said:

Define athletic, because Red is pretty athletic. Sherm specifically mentioned him for chasing down Kaep from behind. He's one of the strongest players on the team and has surprising agility.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":19m2h6ts said:

I don't mind the scheme, so long as we show the desire to blitz. UNFORTUNATELY, that was the problem. We refused to blitz for most of the time. When we did we saw Wagner and Wright making plays. We even saw Earl bringing some nice heat.

I know we don't want to surrender big plays, but I think being aggressive with our secondary and LBers would make the most of their talents.

I just hope the new DC will be willing to bring an extra rusher more than Bradley did.

McGruff

Reaction score
JSeahawks":36k7bydb said:

Define athletic, because Red is pretty athletic. Sherm specifically mentioned him for chasing down Kaep from behind. He's one of the strongest players on the team and has surprising agility.

McGruff

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2fmgfm2c said:

Hawkstorian

Reaction score

pehawk

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":2xrxf6xv said: