Is Steven H done as a Seahawk?

Spokane

Reaction score
As we know points (or whoever pays the refs more) wins games, and whoever is our kicker next year will be the guy who creates the most points for the Seahawks.

Steven H is a free agent this off season and I think it is time to part ways with him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seahawks | Steven Hauschka struggling with long kicks
Thu, 14 Feb 2013 11:43:33 -0800

Seattle Seahawks impending free-agent PK Steven Hauschka has only hit three of his eight field goal attempts of at least 50 yards since joining the Seahawks.

The hawks have an amazing offence that can march down the field, however they are young and may not be the finishers that they will one day be. So a strong legged kicker is the answer to finishing those few drives that fall short. Yes talking about kickers is lame, but winning is not. So what FA would you take over Steven or how early in the draft would you pick a franchise kicker.

Here is a list of FA kickers...

Rob Bironas
Josh Brown
David Buehler
Phil Dawson
Nick Folk
Shayne Graham
Jason Hanson
Nate Kaeding
Olindo Mare
Nick Novak
Mike Nugent
Jake Rogers
Lawrence Tynes

I would spend a 5th on the best kicker in the draft. Just think how many games will be in his hands over the next ten years.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Spokane":3p9ein85 said:
Just think how many games will be in his hands over the next ten years.

Very few. We're going to blow 90% of our opponents out of the water. They will be crying to the league about being beaten like a red-headed stepchild.

(In all seriousness, I actually would like to see us draft a great kicker.)

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
The noise that I make when I sneeze will be back with the Hawks.

Count on it.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
We have like 4 7th rounder right? Id like to see us use one on a kicker. How about that fat kid from Wazzu?

sutz

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":6wbpjzng said:
We have like 4 7th rounder right? Id like to see us use one on a kicker. How about that fat kid from Wazzu?
I just LOL'd thinking of the commish up there saying, "With the 225th pick in the NFL 2013 draft, the Seattle Seahawks select the fat kid from Washington State."

:laugh:

kearly

Reaction score
He'll be back. 3/8 from 50+ isn't "struggling." One of those was a nearly impossible 61 (?) yard attempt. Take that out of the equation and his numbers are right around the league average for 50+. And under 50 he's among the best in the game.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Yeah take the 61 yarder out of his attempts and he is 3/7 from 50+ which isn't horrible, I mean look at what Mason Crosby did, or if fact didn't do, for the Packers this year. I am fine with keeping Steven, but would also be all for them bringing in some more competition, aside from Carson Wiggs who they just signed.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Rob Bironas was the man from long distance a few years ago. Not sure what he's done since. I saw him hit a 60+ with ease, and it would have broken the record if he'd been back further. I just don't want to ever carry 2 kickers again like we did under Ruskell. We didn't even have enough healthy offensive linemen to play a game, and he was keeping Coutu on the roster. Moron.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Keep him, replace him. Doesn't matter. As long as we don't spend an actual draft pick on a kicker and just get one of the many floating around out there (Hauschka included), I'm fine. There's very little difference between them, honestly.

CaptainSkybeard

Reaction score
Why is talking about a kicker lame?

They are the butt of so many jokes, but that is the position will the most pressure on the team just below the quarterback. I always have respect for a good kicker and maybe moreso a good punter than can pin people behind the 10.

JonRud

Reaction score
I really like Hauschka. He's money from under 50, and though he doesn't have the strongest leg I'd rather someone who makes all the short & mid-range kicks. He'll only be 28 when the season starts so I'd keep him around as long as we can.

No reason to take a risk on a younger kicker who may not turn out so well. With our team we will score enough points we don't need someone banging 60 yard FGs.

I am confident whenever Hauschka goes out there - which is really what you want in a kicker.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Unless Hauschka wants scads of money, I'm guessing he'll be back. Everyone wants a new kicker to replace a competent one until the new kicker blows a game-winning field goal.

OP
OP
S

Spokane

Reaction score
I love Steven from 45 and under, but when he walks out there for a 48+ yarder, its seems like he just chokes.

If an old man can kick a 63 yarder last year, I want my kicker to be pretty close to that. Any other thoughts are homer excuses

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Spokane":38lnpsro said:
I love Steven from 45 and under, but when he walks out there for a 48+ yarder, its seems like he just chokes.

If an old man can kick a 63 yarder last year, I want my kicker to be pretty close to that. Any other thoughts are homer excuses

Not true at all, he's 12-13 from 40-50.

Missing a 50 yard field goal isn't choking, it's a low percentage kick. Unfortunately he doesn't kick in a dome like Blair Walsh.

I'd rather have a guy who we can depend on inside 50 then a guy who can make a 60 yarder but will miss a game winner >50 like Greg Z did.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Could see us bringing in an UDFA or late draft pick to compete with Hauschka

That 3 of 8 from beyond 50 is misleading as I believe he's attempted 2 or 3 from 60+ .. Hauschka has been otherwise very reliable.

MrCarey

Reaction score
I like him, but I think we could grab a good kicker in the draft. I'd like some distance on those kicks.

Hawken-Dazs

Reaction score
Olindo Mare was pretty good for us. I wouldn't mind bringing him back.

rsRyno

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":3jb7k63x said:
The noise that I make when I sneeze will be back with the Hawks.

Easily one of my favorite posts ever. Just got some weird looks in the store cuz I laughed out loud over it.

The Radish

Reaction score
You would suggest Josh Brown be a Seahawk again??????

Whatever you're drinking/smoking stop, cause its clearly clouding your brain.

:141847_bnono:

Latest posts