What changes do you think we need to make to our O-line?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • LT- Okung has this locked up, no question

LG- McQuiston, He is one guy that no one talks about, in a positive or negative manner. He is probably the only player on the O-line that i've never looked at specifically.

C- Unger has this locked up to

RG- Sweezy/Moffit. It looks like the coaches like Sweezy or hate Moffit. Either way they love Sweezys upside, i personally really dislike sweezy for getting Wilson to run for his life in the Rams, Skins, and Falcons game. I would much rather see Moffit.

RT- Giacomini- started out as a bone head with many penalties that cost us several drives but improved. His run blocking is good but his pass blocking can be better, especially when he goes up against top tier DEs like Jake Long and Aldon Smith.

Do you think Carpenter will be starting LG and they will move McQuiston to RG? Or just put Carp at RG? Draft a new RT?
    What offseason moves do you think they will make to the O-line, what do you want to see?

Personally I want to see Sweezy gone from the O-line and hope they draft a above average RG with a 3rd round.
    Axx
    NET Veteran

• LT - Okung
    LG - Carpenter
    C - Unger
    RG - Moffitt
    RT - Giacomini/Sweezy
    For some reason, when i see Sweezy, i just for some reason feel like Cable is molding Sweezy into a tackle with good footwork, movement skills, toughness, and hopefully a smart one. Guess we'll find out where Sweezy will end up when training camps starts.
    hai
    NET Starter

• The weak spot on the line is RT. If they draft somebody, hopefully it's for that spot. I believe Mofitt will take over the RG spot starting next year. LT, LG, C, and RG are set with Okung, Carp, Unger, and Mofitt respectively. McQuistan would be a great backup and Sweezy can be a capable backup too. That just leaves RT.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• I doubt they will do much more than add some depth. I think we're in decent shape right now and would benefit from not overdoing the tinkering and let them play together another season.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• It's a process. Developing an offensive line is a process.

With regards to Sweezy, it's common to get projects their first snaps at guard. Where he ends up remains to be seen. Heck ..... if they have a problem finding a #3 TE again next year, he might show up as a blocker in that capacity. They invested 295 offensive snaps and 105 special teams snaps in Sweezy last season. That's significant for a kid on a steep learning curve. I'm looking forward to seeing the payoff in 2013.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• None aside from seasoning, competition, and adding young depth at Tackle.

Okung
    Carpenter
    Unger
    Sweezy Moffitt competition
    Giacomini

McQuistan's the super sub.

Now I think changes could happen that could improve it, but I don't think it's necessary and would be a waste of resources.
    JKent82
    NET Veteran

• I haven't been especially impressed by the guard play. They can certainly upgrade there. Particularly in pass protection.
    Mojambo
    NET Veteran

• I don't see why a lot of you are putting Carp at guard. Maybe I'm missing something (not unusual) but I really don't think he's done anything to get starting consideration. I guess we'll see in training camp. Hopefully he drops a few pounds and gets his footwork in order.
    PlinytheCenter
    NET Veteran

• I would like to address O-Line in Free Agency. Andy Levitre would be someone I would Target and maybe even a tackle depending on price. Breno performed better the 2nd half of the season, but competition is a big part of this organization and if things fall into place that make it possible to upgrade a position (especially one that is vital in protecting what is our greatest asset on the field for our future), then you do it.

Okung - Levitre - Unger - Carpenter - Breno/FA

I'd say, that line would make me a bit less concerned about potential injuries to Wilson and would significantly help us build upon our offensive mind-set.
    Red Beard
    NET Rookie

• Nothing whats here is working and improving. Pass protection takes time to develop when you are blocking as a group. The longer they play together the better it will get.

On to next complaint about the team Axx.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
    .Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• I can't see a line without McQuistan starting somewhere along that line. They talk about Carpenter developing into that LG spot, but I'll believe it when I see it. McQuistan has been complimented on the field by opposing players. I don't know why we're thinking of him only as a super sub. I think he quietly goes about his business and has earned a regular place on the line. I think the left side of the line is solid. Not so sure about the right side. It will be interesting to see what direction the Hawks take in terms of either drafting players like OG Larry Warford (Kentucky) and Kyle Long... or, a player or two in free agency (or a combination of FA and the draft) to compete.
    World Champion
    Seattle Seahawks
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran

• I don't think they will spend money on the OL. Too many solid guys who could become starters, I think Carpenter will get every shot to earn the LG spot, if not McQuistan is more than capable. Same on the right side.

If they do add an OL I think it will be through the draft, I don't see us using cap space on someone when they seem to like so many guys of the guys they already have.
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran

• No changes required.

Giacomini is more than capable of holding down the right tackle spot. He was over aggressive at the start of the year (trying too hard?) and gave away some mindless penalties. As soon as he cleared that up he was nearly flawless. Go back and watch him blocking against Mario Williams or any of the other 5-6 elite pass rushers he had to go up against this year. We are getting fantastic value out of Breno and there's no need to chase that position. How many NFL right tackles do you know off the top of your head? Exactly.

People are writing Sweezy off after one season, a year after he switched from defense. I trust Tom Cable and he thinks the kid can play. Good enough for me.

Carpenter needs to prove he can stay healthy but if he manages it, then he locks down the left guard spot. In that scenario you have a R1 at left tackle, R1 at left guard and a R2 at center. You don't need to keep thrusting draft stock into the line with that level of investment. McQuistan and Moffitt provide solid depth which I'm sure they'll keep adding to in the mid-to-late rounds.

We have one of the better offensive lines in the league... we run the ball well, pass protect well most of the time and have the most elusive QB in the NFL anyway.

Job done.

Now let's fix the pass rush.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• PlinytheCenter wrote:I don't see why a lot of you are putting Carp at guard. Maybe I'm missing something (not unusual) but I really don't think he's done anything to get starting consideration. I guess we'll see in training camp. Hopefully he drops a few pounds and gets his footwork in order.

Nobody is saying that he has earned the spot. Rather, Carpenter is a big guy that we spent a first round draft pick on two years ago. It's only reasonable for fans to want him to succeed and it looks like the best chance for that happen is at LG.

There were 41 offensive linemen drafted in 2011. Of those;
    - 12 currently have starting jobs, including 7 of the top 10
    - 12 are depth / developmental
    - 13 are on injured reserve
    - 4 have been waived

2011 Offensive Line Class, Current Status
    #9 T Tyron Smith, DAL Starter
    #15 C Mike Pouncey, MIA Starter
    #17 T Nate Solder, NE Starter
    #22 T Anthony Castonzo, IND Starter
    #23 G Danny Watkins, PHI Depth
    #25 T James Carpenter, SEA Injured
    #29 T Gabe Carimi, CHI Starter
    #32 T Derrick Sherrod, GB Injured
    #46 T Orlando Franklin, DEN Starter
    #48 C Stefen Wisniewski, OAK Starter
    #49 T Ben Ijalana, IND Injured
    #55 G Rodney Hudson, KC Injured
    #63 T Marcus Gilbert, PIT Injured
    #75 G John Moffitt, SEA Starter
    #76 G Will Rackley, JAC Injured
    #85 T Jah Reid, BAL Depth
    #92 T Joseph Barksdale, STL Depth
    #101 G Clint Boling, CIN Starter
    #110 G David Arkin, DAL Depth
    #117 T James Brewer, NYG Depth
    #122 T Chris Hairston, BUF Starter
    #138 T Marcus Cannon, NE Depth
    #150 T Jason Pinkston, CLE Injured
    #161 G Julian Vandervelde, PHI Depth
    #163 C Daniel Kilgore, SF Depth
    #168 T DeMarcus Love, MIN Injured
    #172 C Brandon Fusco, MIN Starter
    #175 T Byron Stingily, TEN Depth
    #179 G Caleb Schlauderaff, GB Depth (Jets)
    #191 C Jason Celce, CIN Injured
    #196 G Keith Williams, PIT Waived
    #201 G Stephen Schilling, SD Depth
    #203 C Zack Williams, CAR Injured
    #209 T Johnny Culbreath, DET Waived
    #210 G Andrew Jackson, ATL Injured
    #214 T Derek Newton, HOU Starter
    #217 T Maurice Hurt, WAS Depth
    #239 T Mike Person, SF Waived
    #244 T Lee Ziemba, CAR Injured
    #245 G Michael Jasper, BUF Waived
    #252 C Bill Nagy, DAL Injured
    "Check out my 2012 NFL Draft Grades. I just gave the worst grade ever to Seattle." - WalterFootball.com
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

• Right now I see Carpenter as a boat anchor. Seems like a guy that will never be counted on to stay on the field, so I would say get someone to compete to replace him.

Sweezy is going to improve with a year under him.

Moffitt is a ?....I like his play, but I don't get why they platoon him, someone needs to come up with a reasonable answer.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• JKent82 wrote:None aside from seasoning, competition, and adding young depth at Tackle.

Okung
    Carpenter
    Unger
    Sweezy Moffitt competition
    Giacomini

McQuistan's the super sub.

Now I think changes could happen that could improve it, but I don't think it's necessary and would be a waste of resources.

This with mid to late round picks for camp competition.
    gmor
    NET Rookie

• PlinytheCenter wrote:I don't see why a lot of you are putting Carp at guard. Maybe I'm missing something (not unusual) but I really don't think he's done anything to get starting consideration. I guess we'll see in training camp. Hopefully he drops a few pounds and gets his footwork in order.

what do you mean. When he was healthy the coaches inserted him in the starting lineup ahead of McQuistan. That should tell you what the coaches think of him. Furthermore he was a factor in the running game @ LG. Sure he could improve his pass protection, but he was hardly the weak link in that category.

The 2 most unsettled spots are on the right side-- RG- will it be Sweezy or Moffitt, and can we find an upgrade over Breno.

Personally, I've love for the light to come on and Moffitt really take ahold of the RG spot. I'd also like to see Sweezy kick over to RT and give Breno a run for his money.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

• Carpenter will take the LG spot when healthy, then it will be Sweezy, Moff and McQ battling it out for the RG. But I think McQ wins the competition easily, at least this year.

Okung
    Carpenter
    Unger
    McQ
    Breno

That's a solid line right there.
    As a musician and audio quality champion, Neil Young said in 2012, “Steve Jobs was a pioneer of digital music. But when he went home, he listened to vinyl.”
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• When Carp was playing LG, McQuistan went to RG.

Where can I find Seahawks98.com???
    Barthawk
    *Bacon Eating Crusader*
    *Bacon Eating Crusader*

• Barthawk wrote:When Carp was playing LG, McQuistan went to RG.

+1. That is what they will do I suspect again. Why Carp at LG? The man is an earthmover. He is too slow for tackle IMO.

I see Moffatt as a super sub much like Pork Chop was. He was a center also at Wisconsin , so I would work him as backup there. Sweezy is a good story lets see how he does. Right now he reminds me a lot of M Wrotto.
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

• So far, Carpenter has been a scalpel mover, and not a mover of opposing players. That is doing us how much good?

I say zero. Potential?...or, he will be ok if he can stay healthy?

Nah, the guy needs to have to compete for a job in my opinion, and should be used as depth rather than a starter if he can even get on the field.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Largent80 wrote:So far, Carpenter has been a scalpel mover, and not a mover of opposing players. That is doing us how much good?

I say zero. Potential?...or, he will be ok if he can stay healthy?

Nah, the guy needs to have to compete for a job in my opinion, and should be used as depth rather than a starter if he can even get on the field.

He should be on the stairmaster not on the field!
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• No major changes along the O line. Carpenter needs to be tested for one more year at LG. At WORSE, McQ takes over the position for the rest of 2013 (McQ being Pat McQuistan) which wouldn't be a season-ending move or anything. At least we get to see if Carp has a future as a starter or not. Drafting or signing a LG pretty much puts a lid on Carp ever earning his draft status.

The right guard position is another position that deserves a year of tests and growth. Sweezy is as green as they come, but with huge upside. Moffitt is like McQ; respectable at the position but nothing spectacular. His upside is higher than McQ's, though, which means any addition at RG reduces the chance those two ever grow into their potential.

Right Tackle would be a position I would be fine looking to add a development player, but I think Breno has showed he's improved greatly over the year to earn the starting spot. He's also an underrated teammate, imo. Just watching tape of this past year, and you always see Breno encouraging and motivating others on offense, which I love seeing.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran

• twisted_steel2 wrote:Carpenter will take the LG spot when healthy, then it will be Sweezy, Moff and McQ battling it out for the RG. But I think McQ wins the competition easily, at least this year.

Okung
    Carpenter
    Unger
    McQ
    Breno

That's a solid line right there.

If those five stay healthy this is exactly what I think will happen this season. I also believe with Carpenter, McQuistan, Sweezy and Moffitt there is no need to address the guard position in the draft. I fully expect them to draft somebody to compete with Giacomini at right tackle, likely a third or fourth rounder. Of course the draft situation will certainly change based on what happens in free agency.

"There is no delay of game. We did not let the team know we were scratching our balls"
    IBleedBlueAndGreen
    * NET Injury Guru *

• I feel as though we had this very same question brought up about Okung, now Thurmond and Carpenter. Okung ended being unreliable on the field, regardless of what injury, he had them, Carp and Thurm as well, if they become healthy, i feel like everyone who doubts Carp especially will regret it next year. Carp was unmovable at LG, i even thought he was dominate in the run game when he played, even if he's larger then most people, that's a +1 for a guard in my book.
    Carp pro-bowl in next 2 years if he plays healthy, book it.
    hai
    NET Starter

• hai wrote:I feel as though we had this very same question brought up about Okung, now Thurmond and Carpenter. Okung ended being unreliable on the field, regardless of what injury, he had them, Carp and Thurm as well, if they become healthy, i feel like everyone who doubts Carp especially will regret it next year. Carp was unmovable at LG, i even thought he was dominate in the run game when he played, even if he's larger then most people, that's a +1 for a guard in my book.
    Carp pro-bowl in next 2 years if he plays healthy, book it.

I'm with you. Carp could be a dominating LG if he's healthy for a couple years. Even when he played the games he looked good in this season, I never sensed he was at 100%. With almost a year to heal and study the position better, I think he'll surprise some people.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran

• AgentDib wrote:
    PlinytheCenter wrote:I don't see why a lot of you are putting Carp at guard. Maybe I'm missing something (not unusual) but I really don't think he's done anything to get starting consideration. I guess we'll see in training camp. Hopefully he drops a few pounds and gets his footwork in order.

Nobody is saying that he has earned the spot. Rather, Carpenter is a big guy that we spent a first round draft pick on two years ago. It's only reasonable for fans to want him to succeed and it looks like the best chance for that happen is at LG.

There were 41 offensive linemen drafted in 2011. Of those;
    - 12 currently have starting jobs, including 7 of the top 10
    - 12 are depth / developmental
    - 13 are on injured reserve
    - 4 have been waived

2011 Offensive Line Class, Current Status
    #9 T Tyron Smith, DAL Starter
    #15 C Mike Pouncey, MIA Starter
    #17 T Nate Solder, NE Starter
    #22 T Anthony Castonzo, IND Starter
    #23 G Danny Watkins, PHI Depth
    #25 T James Carpenter, SEA Injured
    #29 T Gabe Carimi, CHI Starter
    #32 T Derrick Sherrod, GB Injured
    #46 T Orlando Franklin, DEN Starter
    #48 C Stefen Wisniewski, OAK Starter
    #49 T Ben Ijalana, IND Injured
    #55 G Rodney Hudson, KC Injured
    #63 T Marcus Gilbert, PIT Injured
    #75 G John Moffitt, SEA Starter
    #76 G Will Rackley, JAC Injured
    #85 T Jah Reid, BAL Depth
    #92 T Joseph Barksdale, STL Depth
    #101 G Clint Boling, CIN Starter
    #110 G David Arkin, DAL Depth
    #117 T James Brewer, NYG Depth
    #122 T Chris Hairston, BUF Starter
    #138 T Marcus Cannon, NE Depth
    #150 T Jason Pinkston, CLE Injured
    #161 G Julian Vandervelde, PHI Depth
    #163 C Daniel Kilgore, SF Depth
    #168 T DeMarcus Love, MIN Injured
    #172 C Brandon Fusco, MIN Starter
    #175 T Byron Stingily, TEN Depth
    #179 G Caleb Schlauderaff, GB Depth (Jets)
    #191 C Jason Celce, CIN Injured
    #196 G Keith Williams, PIT Waived
    #201 G Stephen Schilling, SD Depth
    #203 C Zack Williams, CAR Injured
    #209 T Johnny Culbreath, DET Waived
    #210 G Andrew Jackson, ATL Injured
    #214 T Derek Newton, HOU Starter
    #217 T Maurice Hurt, WAS Depth
    #239 T Mike Person, SF Waived
    #244 T Lee Ziemba, CAR Injured
    #245 G Michael Jasper, BUF Waived
    #252 C Bill Nagy, DAL Injured

Cimiri got benched and Tyron Smith did a bad job when he moved right to left tackle for the Cowboys. I'm starting to think that draft class was weaker than originally thought.
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran

• Do you think they will bring Frank Omiyale back next year?
    I know he's just depth and some negative noise was made here when
    they signed him last year. Some seemed surprised he made the 53 cut.

But when he became the next man up at LT, he actually played pretty well.
    He's 31 yrs. old, not old for an OL but I don't know his contract status.
    two dog
    NET Veteran

• When I look at the team at the end of the year and rank the weakest positions imo they were Leo,Guards then DT a pass rush from the 3 tech.
    People can say but we have Mq,Carp,Moffitt and Sweezy my main argument is ya but we have Mq,Carp,Moffitt and Sweezy.
    Mq may be our best G but gets beat pretty badly at times,Sweezy doesn't even look like he belongs out there at times,Carp was easily replaced at RT with a player off a practice squad, while Moffitt seems to be in Cables doghouse.I can't judge Carp off last year because he wasnt right and his play showed it.
    The fact an average college DL can walk on an NFL team and not only make the team but get playing time tells me how weak the position is.
    Considering Wilson and Lynch are our biggest assets on offense who rely on these guys and the Ds that play in our conference I would have no problem if they tried to improve the Gs this offseason.
    As far as Breno we can do better but we can also do worse.Flawless never came to mind when I think about Brenos play
    I know we have spent 1st and 3rd on guards but it doesnt really matter.They need to get better and stay healthy,
    justafan
    NET Veteran

• They should have just put Carp on IR for the season last year...
    It seemed like they rushed him back from a pretty serious knee injury...
    Being a 1st round pick may have had something to do with that...
    But why risk hobbling him with a lingering injury?
    If they had IR'ed him for the season...
    He would be as close to 100% as he's ever going to be at the beginning of mini camps this year...
    Just seemed like a dumb move.
    Wartooth
    NET Veteran

• I assume that the Hawks will draft an Oline player every year. Whether it turns into depth or into a starter I think that PC/JS sees the importance of a quality line. As it stands, this line can roll. They will get yet another year of the best Oline guys around in Cable and that is huge. I am more concerned about teams coming for him than I am the players. I just hope that they develop a solid foundation and system that can carry once Cable is gone. I don't see Cable making it past next year before getting another promotion somewhere else.
    Eh... Whatever...
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• A kid in the draft that is moving up on a lot of big boards is Menelik Watson, 6-5, 320, Florida St. He is currently ranked at #65 overall by cbssports.com. Many are saying that this guy is a physical FREAK even though he has only played in 20 games. He is a developmental pick and his potential is off the charts. He could be available with the Seahawks 3-rd round pick. I'll have my eye on him at the combine. I gotta see if he can really run a 4.7 forty at 320 lbs, that's really hauling ass for a big guy. The 10 & 20 yard splits should be interesting as well.

""Very interesting prospect who played one year at Florida State after spending time at a Junior College in California. Great size and athletic ability. The Florida State Athletic Site reports that he runs a 4.7 second 40 yard dash at 320 pounds. Will have to see that to believe it.""
    http://nflmocks.com/2013/01/23/menelik- ... r-profile/
    <--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--> GO SEAHAWKS <--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--><-->
    CamanoIslandJQ
    NET Veteran

• Wartooth wrote:They should have just put Carp on IR for the season last year...
    It seemed like they rushed him back from a pretty serious knee injury...
    Being a 1st round pick may have had something to do with that...
    But why risk hobbling him with a lingering injury?
    If they had IR'ed him for the season...
    He would be as close to 100% as he's ever going to be at the beginning of mini camps this year...
    Just seemed like a dumb move.

He had the ACL surgery the first time in December of 2011. Carp had plenty of time to ease back into playing condition and strength.

It's not like Pete just throws players back out onto the field after injuries. There's plenty of talking to the doctors, team trainers and the players themselves..........and plenty of monitoring. Carp was back out on the field because all parties involved thought he could go. If any one of them said no, he wouldn't go.

Pete's one of the most cautious coaches in the league. Can't put this on him.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:31 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information