What changes do you think we need to make to our O-line?

Axx

Reaction score
LT- Okung has this locked up, no question

LG- McQuiston, He is one guy that no one talks about, in a positive or negative manner. He is probably the only player on the O-line that i've never looked at specifically.

C- Unger has this locked up to

RG- Sweezy/Moffit. It looks like the coaches like Sweezy or hate Moffit. Either way they love Sweezys upside, i personally really dislike sweezy for getting Wilson to run for his life in the Rams, Skins, and Falcons game. I would much rather see Moffit.

RT- Giacomini- started out as a bone head with many penalties that cost us several drives but improved. His run blocking is good but his pass blocking can be better, especially when he goes up against top tier DEs like Jake Long and Aldon Smith.

Do you think Carpenter will be starting LG and they will move McQuiston to RG? Or just put Carp at RG? Draft a new RT?
What offseason moves do you think they will make to the O-line, what do you want to see?

Personally I want to see Sweezy gone from the O-line and hope they draft a above average RG with a 3rd round.

hai

Reaction score
LT - Okung
LG - Carpenter
C - Unger
RG - Moffitt
RT - Giacomini/Sweezy
For some reason, when i see Sweezy, i just for some reason feel like Cable is molding Sweezy into a tackle with good footwork, movement skills, toughness, and hopefully a smart one. Guess we'll find out where Sweezy will end up when training camps starts.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The weak spot on the line is RT. If they draft somebody, hopefully it's for that spot. I believe Mofitt will take over the RG spot starting next year. LT, LG, C, and RG are set with Okung, Carp, Unger, and Mofitt respectively. McQuistan would be a great backup and Sweezy can be a capable backup too. That just leaves RT.

sutz

Reaction score
I doubt they will do much more than add some depth. I think we're in decent shape right now and would benefit from not overdoing the tinkering and let them play together another season.

Jville

Reaction score
It's a process. Developing an offensive line is a process.

With regards to Sweezy, it's common to get projects their first snaps at guard. Where he ends up remains to be seen. Heck ..... if they have a problem finding a #3 TE again next year, he might show up as a blocker in that capacity. They invested 295 offensive snaps and 105 special teams snaps in Sweezy last season. That's significant for a kid on a steep learning curve. I'm looking forward to seeing the payoff in 2013.

JKent82

Reaction score
None aside from seasoning, competition, and adding young depth at Tackle.

Okung
Carpenter
Unger
Sweezy Moffitt competition
Giacomini

McQuistan's the super sub.

Now I think changes could happen that could improve it, but I don't think it's necessary and would be a waste of resources.

Mojambo

Reaction score
I haven't been especially impressed by the guard play. They can certainly upgrade there. Particularly in pass protection.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
I don't see why a lot of you are putting Carp at guard. Maybe I'm missing something (not unusual) but I really don't think he's done anything to get starting consideration. I guess we'll see in training camp. Hopefully he drops a few pounds and gets his footwork in order.

Red Beard

Reaction score
I would like to address O-Line in Free Agency. Andy Levitre would be someone I would Target and maybe even a tackle depending on price. Breno performed better the 2nd half of the season, but competition is a big part of this organization and if things fall into place that make it possible to upgrade a position (especially one that is vital in protecting what is our greatest asset on the field for our future), then you do it.

Okung - Levitre - Unger - Carpenter - Breno/FA

I'd say, that line would make me a bit less concerned about potential injuries to Wilson and would significantly help us build upon our offensive mind-set.

chris98251

Reaction score
Nothing whats here is working and improving. Pass protection takes time to develop when you are blocking as a group. The longer they play together the better it will get.

On to next complaint about the team Axx.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
I can't see a line without McQuistan starting somewhere along that line. They talk about Carpenter developing into that LG spot, but I'll believe it when I see it. McQuistan has been complimented on the field by opposing players. I don't know why we're thinking of him only as a super sub. I think he quietly goes about his business and has earned a regular place on the line. I think the left side of the line is solid. Not so sure about the right side. It will be interesting to see what direction the Hawks take in terms of either drafting players like OG Larry Warford (Kentucky) and Kyle Long... or, a player or two in free agency (or a combination of FA and the draft) to compete.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
I don't think they will spend money on the OL. Too many solid guys who could become starters, I think Carpenter will get every shot to earn the LG spot, if not McQuistan is more than capable. Same on the right side.

If they do add an OL I think it will be through the draft, I don't see us using cap space on someone when they seem to like so many guys of the guys they already have.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
No changes required.

Giacomini is more than capable of holding down the right tackle spot. He was over aggressive at the start of the year (trying too hard?) and gave away some mindless penalties. As soon as he cleared that up he was nearly flawless. Go back and watch him blocking against Mario Williams or any of the other 5-6 elite pass rushers he had to go up against this year. We are getting fantastic value out of Breno and there's no need to chase that position. How many NFL right tackles do you know off the top of your head? Exactly.

People are writing Sweezy off after one season, a year after he switched from defense. I trust Tom Cable and he thinks the kid can play. Good enough for me.

Carpenter needs to prove he can stay healthy but if he manages it, then he locks down the left guard spot. In that scenario you have a R1 at left tackle, R1 at left guard and a R2 at center. You don't need to keep thrusting draft stock into the line with that level of investment. McQuistan and Moffitt provide solid depth which I'm sure they'll keep adding to in the mid-to-late rounds.

We have one of the better offensive lines in the league... we run the ball well, pass protect well most of the time and have the most elusive QB in the NFL anyway.

Job done.

Now let's fix the pass rush.

AgentDib

Reaction score
PlinytheCenter":11z7lg8c said:
I don't see why a lot of you are putting Carp at guard. Maybe I'm missing something (not unusual) but I really don't think he's done anything to get starting consideration. I guess we'll see in training camp. Hopefully he drops a few pounds and gets his footwork in order.
Nobody is saying that he has earned the spot. Rather, Carpenter is a big guy that we spent a first round draft pick on two years ago. It's only reasonable for fans to want him to succeed and it looks like the best chance for that happen is at LG.

There were 41 offensive linemen drafted in 2011. Of those;
- 12 currently have starting jobs, including 7 of the top 10
- 12 are depth / developmental
- 13 are on injured reserve
- 4 have been waived

2011 Offensive Line Class, Current Status
#9 T Tyron Smith, DAL Starter
#15 C Mike Pouncey, MIA Starter
#17 T Nate Solder, NE Starter
#22 T Anthony Castonzo, IND Starter
#23 G Danny Watkins, PHI Depth
#25 T James Carpenter, SEA Injured
#29 T Gabe Carimi, CHI Starter
#32 T Derrick Sherrod, GB Injured
#46 T Orlando Franklin, DEN Starter
#48 C Stefen Wisniewski, OAK Starter
#49 T Ben Ijalana, IND Injured
#55 G Rodney Hudson, KC Injured
#63 T Marcus Gilbert, PIT Injured
#75 G John Moffitt, SEA Starter
#76 G Will Rackley, JAC Injured
#85 T Jah Reid, BAL Depth
#92 T Joseph Barksdale, STL Depth
#101 G Clint Boling, CIN Starter
#110 G David Arkin, DAL Depth
#117 T James Brewer, NYG Depth
#122 T Chris Hairston, BUF Starter
#138 T Marcus Cannon, NE Depth
#150 T Jason Pinkston, CLE Injured
#161 G Julian Vandervelde, PHI Depth
#163 C Daniel Kilgore, SF Depth
#168 T DeMarcus Love, MIN Injured
#172 C Brandon Fusco, MIN Starter
#175 T Byron Stingily, TEN Depth
#179 G Caleb Schlauderaff, GB Depth (Jets)
#191 C Jason Celce, CIN Injured
#196 G Keith Williams, PIT Waived
#201 G Stephen Schilling, SD Depth
#203 C Zack Williams, CAR Injured
#209 T Johnny Culbreath, DET Waived
#210 G Andrew Jackson, ATL Injured
#214 T Derek Newton, HOU Starter
#217 T Maurice Hurt, WAS Depth
#239 T Mike Person, SF Waived
#244 T Lee Ziemba, CAR Injured
#245 G Michael Jasper, BUF Waived
#252 C Bill Nagy, DAL Injured

Largent80

Reaction score
Right now I see Carpenter as a boat anchor. Seems like a guy that will never be counted on to stay on the field, so I would say get someone to compete to replace him.

Sweezy is going to improve with a year under him.

Moffitt is a ?....I like his play, but I don't get why they platoon him, someone needs to come up with a reasonable answer.

gmor

Reaction score
JKent82":hqvm9ws9 said:
None aside from seasoning, competition, and adding young depth at Tackle.

Okung
Carpenter
Unger
Sweezy Moffitt competition
Giacomini

McQuistan's the super sub.

Now I think changes could happen that could improve it, but I don't think it's necessary and would be a waste of resources.

This with mid to late round picks for camp competition.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
PlinytheCenter":2nf4kfrm said:

what do you mean. When he was healthy the coaches inserted him in the starting lineup ahead of McQuistan. That should tell you what the coaches think of him. Furthermore he was a factor in the running game @ LG. Sure he could improve his pass protection, but he was hardly the weak link in that category.

The 2 most unsettled spots are on the right side-- RG- will it be Sweezy or Moffitt, and can we find an upgrade over Breno.

Personally, I've love for the light to come on and Moffitt really take ahold of the RG spot. I'd also like to see Sweezy kick over to RT and give Breno a run for his money.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Carpenter will take the LG spot when healthy, then it will be Sweezy, Moff and McQ battling it out for the RG. But I think McQ wins the competition easily, at least this year.

Okung
Carpenter
Unger
McQ
Breno

That's a solid line right there.

Latest posts