Percy Harvin's Availaibility

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Re: Percy Harvin's Availaibility
Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:08 pm
  • redhawk253 wrote:this would be a pointless trade as the seahawks already have a poor man's Harvin in Golden Tate (they are both coming up on new contracts.. Harvin is going to cost about $8-10 mill a year.. Tate will be less than half that). they are nearly identical players Harvin just has better speed.. Tate is on the upswing however and proved to be clutch this year scoring some big tds and was the only guy on seattle that displayed good YAC. My guess is he continues to improve as he and Russell Wilson have become very good friends and hang out on the regular with their wives.. Seahawk's management isn't stupid.. they will keep their draft picks and let that chemistry build into something special.. not to mention mike wallace in free agency is a much better option for the seahawk's if they want to improve the receiving core.. he has played sandlot ball in pittsburgh for the last several years and has the speed we need to stretch the field on deep balls.. rice and wallace on the edges and tate in the slot would be DANGERUSS.

Harvin was a league MVP candidate last year during the first half of the season. He has scary speed, can return, catch and run out of the backfield.

Golden Tate has none of these things. Remember, we tried to have him return punts? Yeah, that didn't work out too well. I love me some Golden, but you're selling Harvin short by saying we don't need him because we already have Tate. Tate is closer to a Bobby Ingram type, than a Percy Harvin gamechanger type of player.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:50 pm
  • Harvin>Tate

Harvin is more versitile and productive than Desean Jackson and his explosiveness and game breaking ability are is the range of if not better than guys like.

CJ2K
    Jamal Charles
    Reggie Bush
    Desean Jackson
    Javid Best
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:58 pm
  • I'm betting Pete really wants him, bad. He is the quintessential Pete Carroll special weapon/fiery competitor, with a little immature youth to mold with his win forever magic. He is Pete's dream boat. If you asked Pete to ID his perfect offensive weapon it would be Percy Harvin.... And Bevell knows how to use the kid!
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:16 pm
  • I really don't get the obsession some people have with nabbing another supposed superstar receivers at a $10 million+ price tag.

Two things: 1) FA receiver acquisitions have to have the biggest bust rate of any position in the NFL; 2) Great QBs can win without a top 5 receiver and have done it time and time again. No one thought Denver had a better set of receivers than Seattle before Peyton got there. Brady has consistently been successful with plug-and-play journeymen as his targets. Eli has made receivers with mere above-average talent look better than they are.

I've been saying it since the season ended: if there's a good value proposition out there at WR, of course you jump on it, but this is not a position worth sinking a huge amount of additional cap space in. It would be a different story if we didn't already have a commitment to Rice. But we do.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:22 pm
  • DavidSeven wrote:I really don't get the obsession some people have with nabbing another supposed superstar receivers at a $10 million+ price tag.

Two things: 1) FA receiver acquisitions have to have the biggest bust rate of any position in the NFL; 2) Great QBs can win without a top 5 receiver and have done it time and time again. No one thought Denver had a better set of receivers than Seattle before Peyton got there. Brady has consistently been successful with plug-and-play journeymen as his targets. Eli has made receivers with mere above-average talent look better than they are.

I've been saying it since the season ended: if there's a good value proposition out there at WR, of course you jump on it, but this is not a position worth sinking a huge amount of additional cap space in. It would be a different story if we didn't already have a commitment to Rice. But we do.

A. How is a 24 year old electric game changer bad value?
    B. I agree with whatever JS chooses to pay anybody.
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:35 pm
  • SNDavidson wrote:A. How is a 24 year old electric game changer bad value?

When that 24 year old has a history of injury and personality concerns and that money can be spent more effectively on other areas (namely defensive line). No one was saying another 5'10-5'11 slot guy was the key piece we needed at the end of last season. If we could pay him on his rookie deal, it might be worth considering, but Harvin has already said he plans to hold out for a bigger contract. If we're going to pay big money to another receiver, he better either be big and physical or a speedster on the edges. Harvin is neither.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:46 pm
  • Alright, like most of you guys I've read up on just about everything I can get my hands on regarding Harvin and listened to all the interviews. Here's my .02 FWIW.

As with all things that John Schneider and Pete Carroll do, it's all about value judgment -- just how much is it going to cost to land Harvin vs. the possible negative consequences of bringing in a potentially volatile personality like this. Putting my counseling hat back on for a second, Harvin profiles as being a highly Obsessive-Compulsive personality with probable Bipolar Disorder thrown in the mix. Now, just to take away the stigma of that for those of you who might be blanching at reading this -- everyone (and I mean everyone) can be diagnosed with something (even me). This is basically academic in the sense that it helps understand some of the personality dynamics going on here.

So in essence what I believe we have here is a guy who wants to win -- and to win badly at all costs. He may struggle at times with being able to relate to his teammates because of the overwhelming obsession with wanting to win has the potential of getting in the way in his relations with others. If in his head he perceives those around him as somehow not being as serious in wanting to achieve that goal of winning as badly as he does (i.e. they're having too much fun) -- he could turn on them and cohesion in the locker room could suffer, as he's going to let everyone know about it. If a coach's directions, decisions, etc. don't make sense in his own mind (or he doesn't agree with the course of action) -- he also has the potential of turning on them. It's as if he's unconsciously saying, "I know how things ought to be done and if you're not doing them my way -- it has to be wrong."

That type of intensity CAN be channeled ... but it is certainly an art-form -- let me tell you. In some ways, this is not unlike the same type of dynamics that Marshawn Lynch brings to the team. He's fairly aloof as well in the way that he deals with both the media and his teammates. But it works for him because they let him do his thing ... and they know what he's going to be about come Sunday morning. Russell Wilson brings a bit of that same singular focus (it's all about winning) as well. So yes, in theory is could work -- but you've got to keep in mind that unlike Lynch and Wilson, this guy can be volatile.

If anyone could harness such a personality and turn it in the right direction -- Pete Carroll MIGHT be that guy. But there are other coaches on this staff besides Carroll. How would he deal with other coaches like Tom Cable, for example, who to me reminds me a lot of Leslie Frazier. That's something else that ought to be considered.

YES, the talent is certainly there. But you DO have to wonder about the level of commitment. If he's truly going to be all in ... and the cost to bring him in isn't totally prohibitive, it might be worth a look see. Personally, if we're talking about anything more than the type of deal that the Hawks did in bringing in Lendale White (in this particular case, I'd say 5th Rounder or below) ... then I'd personally say pass. Percy Harvin could very easily turn out to be Kellen Winslow Part 2 -- a guy who in the end couldn't let go of HIS IDEAS of what his role ought to be -- and of just how valuable he thought he was. We saw how well that played out last year when push came to shove.
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:56 pm
  • DavidSeven wrote:
    SNDavidson wrote:A. How is a 24 year old electric game changer bad value?

When that 24 year old has a history of injury and personality concerns and that money can be spent more effectively on other areas (namely defensive line). No one was saying another 5'10-5'11 slot guy was the key piece we needed at the end of last season. If we could pay him on his rookie deal, it might be worth considering, but Harvin has already said he plans to hold out for a bigger contract. If we're going to pay big money to another receiver, he better either be big and physical or a speedster on the edges. Harvin is neither.

Speed, catching abitility, route running, fire, and YAC YAC YAC YAC. Steve Largent wasn't big or fast. Harvin is literally a threat to score every time you put the ball in his hands, pretty valuable in my book, he changes your offense.
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:49 pm
  • The more I think about this, the more I hope we make a move for Harvin. Right now, our offense is very, very good. With Harvin, it's downright scary. Opposing defenses already have to sell out on the run to stop arguably the second-best running back in the NFL, plus the threat of a mobile QB with great escapability who can actually throw. Add one of the most electrifying wideouts in the league to that equation: how is anyone going to stop that? That's not even mentioning legitimate threats like Sidney Rice, Zach Miller, Golden Tate, Doug Baldwin, and Robert Turbin.

One of the opposing arguments I keep hearing for this potential deal is that we have young guys who will need to be paid soon. I don't want to lose any of our better players either, but all of our core players (Wilson, Sherman, Thomas, Okung, Wagner) have multiple years left on their contracts. Some are worried about holdouts, but thanks to the new CBA, those guys couldn't sign new deals right deal if Paul Allen gave them a signed blank contract. Cap hell is extremely overrated anyway. If your cap guys know what they're doing, you can do pretty much whatever you want. How many years have the Redskins been way over the cap, only to sign more players, without losing anyone important? Not that the Redskins are a shining example of how to run a franchise, but they are a good example of how overrated alleged cap problems are.

I don't know how credible the rumors are, but the rumor right now is that the Vikings would be willing to part with Harvin for less than a first round pick. How often are 24-year old players with his ability available? This isn't the age-old question of seasoned veteran vs unproven rookie. Harvin is only a year or two older than most of the rookie wideouts in this draft class, and we already know that he's a stud. As far as I'm concerned, if the Vikings were willing to accept something like a 2nd and a 4th, it's a no brainer.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:12 pm
  • I see Harvin as a Vince Young type, emotional fiery and unable to control himself. I also see him as a injury prone guy due to how you use him to begin with, he's not a real physical speciman.

No thanks at the cost it would be, we are not building for one year, were building for a repetitive representation. You guys can all enjoy your 30 seconds with Jennifer Lawrence I would rather spend all night with Hallie Berry.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:13 pm
  • If Pete wants him Pete shall have him. Pete was completely jacked when he was describing Harvin before we played Minni. He couldn't say enough good about him. I don't know if that was just pre-game talk or not but if it had a sliver of truth we may see Pete make a good case to get him. Do we need him, probably not.
    travlinhawk
    NET Starter

Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:17 pm
  • travlinhawk wrote:If Pete wants him Pete shall have him. Pete was completely jacked when he was describing Harvin before we played Minni. He couldn't say enough good about him. I don't know if that was just pre-game talk or not but if it had a sliver of truth we may see Pete make a good case to get him. Do we need him, probably not.

Pete has said that about most the players he cut also..................

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:19 pm

• Replaces Leon, this guy has a Seahawk mentality on the field, he is electric, Golden, Sidney, and this guy with Russell extending the play? Goodnight NFC West, Hello first round bye.
    Last edited by SNDavidson on Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:27 pm
  • It's the silly season!

No doubt about it :lol:
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:54 pm
  • I will say this: I definitely don't want to see Harvin in a Niners jersey next year.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:57 pm
  • Yea ....... a little to late to join Mike Singletary. LOL That would have been interesting.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:37 pm
  • No thanks. This is a fantasy league move. We have a QB who will make the players around him better, a la Peyton, Rodgers, Brady, etc. Put the money into a nasty D line and let Russell groom our future star WR draft picks, who will cost 1/10th that of Harvin.
    HawkAroundTheClock
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:45 pm
  • I love what Harvin brings but Minny won't likely trade him to a championship contender for mere picks and/or Flynn. Next year Harvin is owed just $2.9 mil but a lucrative extension would need be negotiated.
    Adrian Peterson is fruitlessly lobbying for the Vikes to keep Harvin. People question Harvin's durability but despite being on many pregame injury reports he played despite injuries and migraines in his time with the Vikings. He was placed on IR this last half season but there was more to the story than a sprained ankle. And as much as folks would like to question Harvin's character he got along with his teammates in the locker room and built real comradery with the great players on his team. He remained loyal to Minny after seeing his receiver comrades get shipped out one by one. He withstood the many post-Favre quarterback controversies (Tavaris Jackson vs Sage Rosenfels, Sage vs Joe Webb, Webb vs Ponder). He suffered a heartbreaking loss to the Saints--one in which he made a crucial fumble. He saw Rice get traded, Favre retire and AD tear his ACL leaving him to question whether the FO and coaches would be able to build a contender again. In the past off season he was a workout partner and motivator for Peterson's epic comeback. He was an MVP level player in the first half despite still playing under his rookie contract. His main flaw is he's passionate and a fierce competitor on the field.
    Unfortunately a bad omen for Harvin and Seattle is Seahawks #12 is retired. Sorry Harvin.
    Russ Willstrong
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:10 pm
  • That run back vs. the Charger around 5:30 was ridiculous.

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:08 pm
  • Rat wrote:The more I think about this, the more I hope we make a move for Harvin. Right now, our offense is very, very good. With Harvin, it's downright scary. Opposing defenses already have to sell out on the run to stop arguably the second-best running back in the NFL, plus the threat of a mobile QB with great escapability who can actually throw. Add one of the most electrifying wideouts in the league to that equation: how is anyone going to stop that?

The more I think about this, the more I'm convinced that trading for Harvin would be a freaking bad idea. As I said above, there's no denying this guy's talent. I mean when things are going right, this guy can be a real game changer. I don't know why though ... but I keep hearkening back to another dynamic WR that the Seahawks had many years ago who was also a game changer and had a similar skillset -- Joey Galloway.

Like Harvin, Galloway incredible breakaway speed (dude could run a 4.18) and moves. Dennis Erickson and the Hawks fell in absolute love with that speed, envisioning that they could use him basically the exact same way that the Vikings use Harvin. And yeah -- he could be absolutely dynamic at times. But the fact of the matter is that the Seahawks never truly won with him. Now I know that people are going to be quick to point out that the Hawks didn't have the kind of overall talent on the team that they do now (and they're be right) -- but there was more to that IMO.

I actually met Joey Galloway (and John Kitna and others) back in 1999 when I was living in Spokane. In those days, training camp was held in Cheney ... and I up and decided to head out to Seahawks training camp one day to watch practice [Holmgren's first year with the team]. After practice, I had a chance to meet Galloway ... and let me tell you -- I walked away not liking the guy very much. He struck me as an extremely arrogant, pompous, me-first kind of player. He just rubbed me the wrong way. A real jerk I felt. Kitna wasn't like that -- nor were any of the other Hawks I met that day (Kitna and those other guys were very gracious, humble, team oriented, etc.) -- Galloway was the only one that wasn't like that. And the more that I think about it, the more I'm wondering if that's the kind of impression he left on Holmgren as well. Come that first offseason (February of 2000), Holmgren promptly traded Galloway to the Cowboys for a pair of 1st Round choices [in 2000 and 2001] -- who ended up becoming Shaun Alexander and Koren Robinson (oh well, 1 out of 2 ain't bad).

The Cowboys never truly won anything with Galloway either ... and neither did Tampa Bay after that. Seattle had 5 years of Joey Galloway in his prime and didn't win a thing. Now I'm not trying to suggest that Galloway necessarily had a bad attitude with his teammates ... was a real clubhouse cancer ... or was the reason that the Hawks and all of the other teams he was ever a part of didn't win a title because of him. There were far more factors involved in why they didn't win than that. What I am saying is that for whatever reason, this extremely fast dynamic playmaker DIDN'T make all the difference in the world. Despite his talent, he didn't transform those teams in to a contender by any means.

Remember, we had this exact same conversation about Brandon Marshall back in 2010 before he was traded to the Dolphins. The Phins traded two 2nd Round choices to the Broncos for Marshall. Just a mere 2 years later -- he's a Chicago Bear. Worked out well for Miami, huh?

Percy Harvin has demonstrated that he has electric talent ... but he also has shown an incredibly volatile personality to go along with it. According to reports, he was placed on the IR not because of an ankle injury ... but because of his attitude. Think about it -- he went on the IR with a supposed sprained ankle ... and the Vikings didn't even TRY to activate him for their biggest game of the year when they faced the Packers at Lambeau in the 1st Round of the Playoffs (a full 62 days after going on the IR).

All the talk surrounding him went from possible MVP Candidate early midway through the season ... to possibly being shipped out of town. The evidence is clear that the Vikings see Harvin as a potential cancer. Given all that has happened regarding him, it would be an absolute disaster for them to bring him back. In essence, they are over a barrel and I would say every team knows that by now. Why would you trade a 2nd or 3rd Round Pick for a guy that the Vikings likely will cut? It makes no sense. The only scenario I could possibly envision him coming to Seattle is either if the asking price is fairly low (I'd say a 5th Rounder or less) ... or if he gets cut altogether.

Given the overall package of who this guy is ... what the asking price sounds like it's going to be ... and the high likelihood that this may work out as well as Lendale White and Kellen Winslow did for Seattle ... I'd have to say pass.
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:18 pm
  • bestfightstory wrote:I will say this: I definitely don't want to see Harvin in a Niners jersey next year.

Sooo...do i hear you saying that Pete and John are "between a rock and a hard place"?
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:23 pm
  • Bigpumpkin wrote:
    bestfightstory wrote:I will say this: I definitely don't want to see Harvin in a Niners jersey next year.

Sooo...do i hear you saying that Pete and John are "between a rock and a hard place"?

No. Not necessarily. If they don't want him all things considered, then I'm sure they've made the right decision for their vision of this team.

I just think Harvin is a talent I don't want to face twice a year. Whether he is with the Niners or the Rams.

And that isn't to say I am afraid of the guy-I just think he drastically improves any offense in the NFL.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:47 pm
  • Another thing to consider is that it does not take multiple years to develop youth in today's NFL. Rookies can come in and make an impact right away depending on the willingness of the coaching staff to devote resources to them. For each developmental prospects that is really raw there is another guy who has had four years of excellent modern college coaching and is as fast and strong as he will ever be.

Fans in this discussion seem to have been influenced too much by Tate's slow development and not nearly enough by all of our other rookies who have made instant impacts. Why is Tate more influential than Baldwin, who became one of our best two receivers was one of our best two receivers as an undrafted rookie?

BFS wrote:I just think Harvin is a talent I don't want to face twice a year. Whether he is with the Niners or the Rams.

Best case scenario is the 49ers paying him $12 million per year and then him missing our games with migraines, or throwing tantrums when he doesn't get the ball enough. He is very talented but there are lots of skilled but expensive FAs who have not produced up to the level of their contract, and whoever trades for Harvin will be paying him FA money.
    Last edited by AgentDib on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    "Check out my 2012 NFL Draft Grades. I just gave the worst grade ever to Seattle." - WalterFootball.com
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:50 pm
  • bestfightstory wrote:
    Bigpumpkin wrote:
    bestfightstory wrote:I will say this: I definitely don't want to see Harvin in a Niners jersey next year.

No. Not necessarily. If they don't want him all things considered, then I'm sure they've made the right decision for their vision of this team.

I just think Harvin is a talent I don't want to face twice a year. Whether he is with the Niners or the Rams.

And that isn't to say I am afraid of the guy-I just think he drastically improves any offense in the NFL.

Sooo....I guess that we fans must wait until March 12th to learn of our fate?
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:37 pm
  • misfit wrote:Harvin is a #1.

Seattle has not had a true #1 WR since Steve Largent.

If Steve Largent was in his mid 20's and playing for us right now, there would be a lot of people arguing he's not a #1 receiver.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:19 am
  • You all who don't want Harvin really need to listen to BestFightStory. He knows more about the Vikings than he knows about the Seahawks, and he knows more about the Seahawks than the rest of you combined.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:39 am
  • Good Article by La Canfora at CBS
    "...I understand the injury concerns. I understand some of the issues of attitude and clashing with coaches. But I have talked to enough of his teammates to understand some of Harvin's frustrations with the lack of a full-bodied offensive attack with the Vikings, and to a man his teammates say he is driven to win. He can be immature and he's made some mistakes, but no one this talented hits the trade market this young unless there have been a few bumps in the road.

I'd take my chances with him.

In terms of yards after the catch, his numbers last season were nearly identical to those of Darren Sproles, again, without being a part of an offense nearly as balanced as the New Orleans', and without Drew Brees getting him the football. All he's done is average a ridiculous 6.4 yards per carry in his career. He has five career return touchdowns. His average of 74 scrimmage yards per game -- from 2009 to 2012 -- puts him right with receivers like DeSean Jackson and Vincent Jackson, and among all players with at least 50 rushes and 100 receptions since 2009, Harvin's average of 10.3 scrimmage yards per touch is far and away tops in the NFL..."
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:51 am
  • Not for 10 million a year. This is salary cap football. Not fantasy football (Credit to John Clayton).
    Give me some damn skittles...
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:15 am
  • Basis4day wrote:Not for 10 million a year. This is salary cap football. Not fantasy football (Credit to John Clayton).

If you are able to consider that he is only due 2.6 this year then a 3 year extension at 10 MM per year isn't too bad- Save cap space next year and roll it over so that the 10 MM doesn't hurt so much. 32.6/4 is 8 MM per year. You can get creative with the cap so that we can cut/trade him in the final year if he's not producing (or can't afford him), then it's more like 7 MM per year.

Harvin is a guy I wouldn't worry about the money. I'd cut a guy like Rice in a heartbeat in two years if it came down to picking a 25 year old blue chip prospect vs a 30 year old WR...problem solved.

lukerguy
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:21 am
  • lukerguy wrote:
    Basis4day wrote:Not for 10 million a year. This is salary cap football. Not fantasy football (Credit to John Clayton).

If you are able to consider that he is only due 2.6 this year then a 3 year extension at 10 MM per year isn't too bad- Save cap space next year and roll it over so that the 10 MM doesn't hurt so much. 32.6/4 is 8 MM per year. You can get creative with the cap so that we can cut/trade him in the final year if he's not producing (or can't afford him), then it's more like 7 MM per year.

Harvin is a guy I wouldn't worry about the money. I'd cut a guy like Rice in a heartbeat in two years if it came down to picking a 25 year old blue chip prospect vs a 30 year old WR...problem solved.

Rice is two years older than Harvin.
    "I'm not the type to let a sleeping giant lie. I wake up the giant, slap him around, make him mad and beat him to the ground. I talk a big game because I carry a big stick." --- All-Pro Stanford Graduate
    Hawken-Dazs
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:24 am
  • If we don't get Percy then hopefully he doesn't end up with any other NFC west team.
    Richard Sherman to Skip Bayless: "I'm tired of your ignorant pollution!"

Follow me on twitter: @seahawks_fan12
    SeahawksFanForever
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:29 am
  • I know I've said before that I don't think Harvin comes to Seattle BUT if PC and Bevell are going All In the next few years then they might pull the trigger.

Vikings 2009: Bevell's offense=>Brett Favre, Rice, Harvin and Peterson.
    Seattle 2013: Bevell's offense=>Russ Wilson, Rice, Harvin and Lynch? +better depth and better defense.

Durability-wise Harvin missed only a handfull of games prior to being placed on IR the last half of this year.
    If he acts up, Harvin still retains good trade value in the next several years because of his talent, versatility and youth.

All In? We'll find out in March....
    Russ Willstrong
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:35 am
  • Wary of paying number 1 money to a guy that's never had a 1000 yard season.

Last guy we did that for?

Deion Branch
    themunn
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:02 am
  • I'm wary of paying BIG money for a backup QB whose only job is to call a coin toss but some folks seem okay with that too.

Harvin's proven to get nearly 700 yards receiving in half-season while also rushing from scrimmage and having returning duties.
    Harvin has proven to be a quality #1 receiver in Minny for the last several years even with incompetent QB play. He HAS EARNED IT.
    If 1000 yards receiving happens then that's great given RW's propensity to spread the ball. We need scores and over-the-top talent if we wanna do this right.
    Russ Willstrong
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:32 am
  • Russ Willstrong wrote:I'm wary of paying BIG money for a backup QB whose only job is to call a coin toss but some folks seem okay with that too.

We paid Matt Flynn what the market dictated. We hadn't yet drafted Russell Wilson. Don't forget that. Wilson will only make around 500,000 next year so our total money invested in Quarterbacks will be about 6 millions dollars next year. That is NOT big money in the QB position, and that's assuming we even keep Flynn.

I'd rather be smart with our money like the Packers or Patriots than throw up a prayer in FA like the Jets and Eagles.

I'd be happy as anyone if we brought in a Harvin, Bowe or Wallace because PC/JS know a hell of a lot more than any of us. But you need to be smart about the cap. You want to go all in for a Super Bowl next year, fine. But if you can't guarentee me a Superbowl with one of these WR additions i'm going to prefer Salary Cap Football to Fantasy Football.
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:44 am
  • Basis4day wrote:We paid Matt Flynn what the market dictated. We hadn't yet drafted Russell Wilson. Don't forget that. Wilson will only make around 500,000 next year so our total money invested in Quarterbacks will be about 6 millions dollars next year. That is NOT big money in the QB position, and that's assuming we even keep Flynn.

LOL.. You mean we have nearly 6 MILLION tied up in our backup QB for next year. Those two QBs aren't Siamese twins and are NOT package deals. Sheesh. Gimme a gamechanger for $6-10 mil any day rather than a $6 mil player sitting on the pine. I hate to have you run my buzness fella.
    Russ Willstrong
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:54 am
  • And you say you'd rather be smart like the Pack and Patriots. News for you-->Patriots are probably front runners on the Harvin trade deal. For some reason many teams including the Pats think that Harvin is worth the big bucks. Good luck trying to pawn off Flynn's contract.
    Russ Willstrong
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:16 pm
  • Russ Willstrong wrote:
    Basis4day wrote:We paid Matt Flynn what the market dictated. We hadn't yet drafted Russell Wilson. Don't forget that. Wilson will only make around 500,000 next year so our total money invested in Quarterbacks will be about 6 millions dollars next year. That is NOT big money in the QB position, and that's assuming we even keep Flynn.

LOL.. You mean we have nearly 6 MILLION tied up in our backup QB for next year. Those two QBs aren't Siamese twins and are NOT package deals. Sheesh. Gimme a gamechanger for $6-10 mil any day rather than a $6 mil player sitting on the pine. I hate to have you run my buzness fella.

Which is why he likely won't be here next year. Again, we signed Flynn BEFORE we drafted Wilson. That's why his contract is where it is. What were we supposed to do last season, cut Flynn and eat his salary which would still count against the cap? Smart "business" plan.
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:22 pm
  • Russ Willstrong wrote:And you say you'd rather be smart like the Pack and Patriots. News for you-->Patriots are probably front runners on the Harvin trade deal. For some reason many teams including the Pats think that Harvin is worth the big bucks. Good luck trying to pawn off Flynn's contract.

Flynn's contract is rather reasonable starter money and he likely won't be back next year.

Re: The Pats. They are letting Welker walk. He made $9.515 in 2012. They can go after Harvin because that's the around the same amount that Welker would be making, and the same position on the field. Again, it's called smart cap management.
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:48 pm
  • Yea. No need for history lessons I understand how we got to this point with RW and Flynn. I've been following RW and Flynn for more than just the past season. I bring up Flynn because he has a big contract and big following for a relatively unproven guy. His his contract was more than twice that of Harvin's who's a contributor in almost every way on Minnesota's offense AND special teams.
    And I agree that our situation with Flynn will be resolved this off season as he may be traded for a late round pick or be cut/restructure his deal. Heck even Minnesota isn't showing interest in trading for Flynn--they probably think Ponder is a better talent.
    Russ Willstrong
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:14 pm
  • In theory, and assuming the VERY best case scenario, it would be great for the Hawks to trade for Percy Harvin and add him to our offensive arsenal.

In reality, the very best case scenario rarely happens, especially for high-priced FA WRs hat switch teams... they just don't produce to the same level on their new teams as they did on their old teams.

My vote is "Pass".

Let's not ruin a good thing (Rice, Tate and Baldwin) for a potential great thing that never comes to pass.
    EastCoastHawksFan posted... "Trading for Harvin is by far the worst move John S has ever made." (March 18, 2014)

your World Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:31 pm
  • Vikings will not make Ponder compete for job
    Vikings coach Leslie Frazier told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that Christian Ponder will not face competition for his starting job in 2013 camp.
    Mortensen recently spoke to Frazier, who said Ponder is locked in for 2013. "Leslie Frazier said, 'Go look at his games in December,'" Mort relayed. "There were a couple of games in December where they saw the Christian Ponder they drafted. ... They really believe Ponder will continue to get better. He is the starter going into the season. They expect nothing to change that. No competition." The Vikings will try to upgrade on backup Joe Webb, but it now seems doubtful that they'd seriously pursue Matt Moore, who is free agency's top quarterback.

There goes the whole Flynn+ for Harvin thought..

lukerguy
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:33 pm
  • The Vikings organization is a debacle, has been for a while. Coddling Ponder is a terrible mistake.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:49 pm
  • Harvin wants too much money.
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:06 pm
  • I've come around on this. Was concerned about the cap implications and the ability to sign current core of young players, but I am not going to sweat it. If signing him impacts retaining one of the young guys, the FO didn't plan properly and that would be their fatal flaw. Miller and Rice, with the contracts they have currently look to be cuts or contract modifications in the next few years whether Harvin signed here or not. Same with Red and/or Mebane. However, the talent Harvin has cannot be denied.

I wouldn't want to see a Branch-like deal and it sounds like the Vikings may only get a 2nd or 3rd, if you trust LaConfora's latest post.

Personally don't like players who have sideline tantrums but not going to get bent about it. Signing him does put Leon at risk, but he is at risk anyway. I could see a Baldwin or Tate moving on. Baldwin is like a Steve Breaston-type from the Fitz/Boldin/Breaston days. He has some good intangibles but more talent at the position can only make the offense that much more lethal.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:13 pm

Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:17 pm
  • BirdsCommaAngry wrote:Harvin wants too much money.

This.

Rumor has it he's asking for something similar to what Megatron has. Happy hunting, Percy.
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:15 pm
  • It would be great if we could afford him, but bottom line is we can't.

Too bad they're so sold on their shitty quarterback... Flynn's about as good a trade piece we could ask for.
    How many 49ers fans does it take to change a light bulb?

None, they will all show and talk about how good the old one was...
    hawker232
    NET Rookie

Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:19 pm
  • hawker232 wrote:It would be great if we could afford him, but bottom line is we can't.

Based on what? Our cap situation is fine and none of our core players have contracts that expire in the next few years.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:37 pm
  • the idiot wants Megatron money. He's delusional if he thinks he's worth that. Hell no. no no no. pass
    bellingerga
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:35 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information