Chris Canty released by NY

MysterMatt

Reaction score
He's still playing?

Anyhow, without a doubt we need to upgrade at the Nickle CB spot but I'm not sure he's the answer.

HawkFanNC

Reaction score
MysterMatt":2dmpnr5p said:
He's still playing?

Anyhow, without a doubt we need to upgrade at the Nickle CB spot but I'm not sure he's the answer.

Old Chris Canty retired about 10 years ago. New Chris Canty -- who just got released -- is a DT/DE with the Giants. Or was with the Giants.

The FO will do their due diligence on him. I don't remember him ever really standing out much, but I don't watch the line play all that closely. He is getting up there in age -- I'd would prefer we stay young and hungry for the time being.

benbu75

Reaction score
Wow, just last night Canty was talking about the release of Boley and his plans to be a Giant for 2 more years. Ouch!

Anyway, my biggest question for Canty is injuries, then age. Getting a chronic knee for those guys in the trenches can be pretty devastating. Maybe a low risk vet minimum kind of contract, but I wouldn't be jumping at him.

OP
OP
FreshlySnipes

FreshlySnipes

Reaction score
Chris Canty is the one with the Samurai Face Mask. I am pretty sure he was the original one to have it. When I have watched him, i thought he was pretty good.

OP
OP
FreshlySnipes

FreshlySnipes

Reaction score
If anything he would be a strong backup for injuries. AKA for situations like this year when we lost both Chris Clemons and Jason Jones. It would at least give us some more depth at the position for next year

ayy208

Reaction score
At 6'7, 317 and age 30, he might be a cheap, decent backup for Red's 5-tech spot. I know he played some tackle as well but at that height, I'm not sure he'd be an effective 3-tech backup for pass rush situations. He'd be worth kicking the tires on however, IMO.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
HawkFanNC":2dze2ip8 said:
MysterMatt":2dze2ip8 said:
He's still playing?

Old Chris Canty retired about 10 years ago. New Chris Canty -- who just got released -- is a DT/DE with the Giants. Or was with the Giants.

The FO will do their due diligence on him. I don't remember him ever really standing out much, but I don't watch the line play all that closely. He is getting up there in age -- I'd would prefer we stay young and hungry for the time being.
Doh! That makes more sense. We still need to upgrade Nickel CB, though.

two dog

Reaction score
Canty came the hard way. Figured to be a sure first rounder in the 2005 draft, he shredded 3 of the 4 ligaments
in his left knee in a game at Syracuse in september, 2004. The concern a week after the injury was not whether
he would play again but would he be able to walk again.

He rehabbed well however and while at Athletes Performance in Arizona went out clubbing with Richie Incognito
(that's a bad idea right there) and ended up with a broken beer bottle to the face. He suffered a cut to the left
eyeball and had to take the train to the combine because the eye would not allow him to fly.

Instead of the first round, he was drafted in the late fourth by Dallas. The rest of his history is much easier to
follow up on. His first interview at the combine was with the Seahawks though.

He did graduate from the U of Virginia and is kind of a high class individual. Good family. Scored tops among defensive
linemen in the Wonderlic. Some guys who came out the same year were Alex Smith, DeMarcus Ware, Frank Gore and
Seattle drafted Chris Spencer, Lofa Tatupu, David Greene and in Canty's round OT Ray Willis.

bighawk

Reaction score
I watched a lot of Giants games this year living on the east coast and this guy can still play. He gets a nice push up the middle and that is exactly what we need. I still would like to keep Branch and or sign a Glenn Dorsey for the 3 tech.

Throwdown

Reaction score
ayy208":3azb0ha1 said:
At 6'7, 317 and age 30, he might be a cheap, decent backup for Red's 5-tech spot. I know he played some tackle as well but at that height, I'm not sure he'd be an effective 3-tech backup for pass rush situations. He'd be worth kicking the tires on however, IMO.

Maybe, but Jason Jones is 6'6 and was plenty good enough doing that.