Superbowl in Seattle

Cartire

Reaction score
I was listening to Adam Shein on Sirius this morning. And they were talking about next years superbowl being at Metlife and the possibilities of horrendeous traffic and bad weather.

A caller called in and asked, if the game is successful, would this open up the possibilities of games being played in other open stadium, northern locations. I thought for sure they would talk about Lambeau. Adam was saying he would love to see a Bowl in Seattle. He thinks the city is amazing, the stadium is amazing. The proximity with everything is great. He believes that if this doesnt turn out to be a massive failure, Seattle could see a bowl in the future.

(I do worry about parking space though. Might have to tear down some of the south east side and pave it over.)

drdiags

Reaction score
I am wondering whether the available hotel rooms space would be a problem? That is why Jacksonville is not going to get another Superbowl until they address this issue. I read there were Cruise ships used to handle the overflow demand for rooms. The stadium capacity is on the low end but they can get it to fit the capacity requirement.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
It will never happen. Not enough hotel space and too far. I suspect the closest we will get is one at the new 49er stadium in Santa Clara. That would be fun to play in the 49er backyard....in a Super Bowl.

CANHawk

Reaction score
drdiags":2d9g13f0 said:
I am wondering whether the available hotel rooms space would be a problem? That is why Jacksonville is not going to get another Superbowl until they address this issue. I read there were Cruise ships used to handle the overflow demand for rooms. The stadium capacity is on the low end but they can get it to fit the capacity requirement.

Yeah, they had a plan to add capacity with temporary bleachers or bigger bleachers in the north and south endzones IIRC. Something like 5,000 additional places for people to put their butts. You could probably get a couple thousand extra seats just by making the bleachers they have in the north endzone beside the Hawks Nest bigger.

Vancouver brought in cruise ships and train sleeping cars to house all the additional workers that came out for the Olympics. It worked out really well from what I heard; kept all the "real" hotel rooms available for regular customers. I imagine Seattle could do something similar for SB if they wanted to.

Axx

Reaction score
Halftime show will most undoubtly be Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice iN Chains, or Nirvana with a mystery singer

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Axx":3m5zxmyw said:
Halftime show will most undoubtly be Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice iN Chains, or Nirvana with a mystery singer

Have to add Heart for us old Folks....

Msfann

Reaction score
They will only break the rules for new York then they will change it back to the way it is now. Seattle will never get a Super Bowl.

New York is the spoiled brat who gets anything it ever wants.

garydrake425

Reaction score
Not enough hotel space? Isn't there a new Hilton Embassy suits being built at the North Lot. Yes there is. I want a SB here and I want us in it. GO HAWKS

http://www.djc.com/news/re/12049228.html

Hilton Hotel at Stadium Place

A 23-story Hilton Embassy Suites Hotel will anchor the eastern half of Stadium Place, a mixed-use project near Century Link Field.

The project's developer American Life Inc. said the hotel will have 297 rooms, along with 6,000 square feet of office space connected by an atrium. In total, Stadium Place will occupy a total of 4 acres at the edge of the Century Link Field's north parking lot.

Gregory Steinhauer, chief operating officer at American Life, said construction is slated to start in late summer or early fall. Construction would likely take about two years. Steinhauer said the project is currently going through design review.

Freiheit and Ho Architects Inc. will design the building. American Life has its own contracting company, SODO Builders, to work on the project. DCI is the structural engineer, Degen & Degen is the interior designer and Integrated Site Design is the landscape architect.

The project could cost more than $300 million. American Life pays for projects through the federal EB-5 program, which lets foreign nationals invest in projects in exchange for green cards.

Along with the hotel, American Life will build a four-story parking podium, a gym with a pool and a conference center and ballroom. The complex will also have 15,000 square feet of retail space.

The second phase of this part of the project involves building 171,000 square feet of office space spread over nine stories. A top floor restaurant and bar will be there as well. American Life is developing the office portion with Daniels Real Estate.

Daniels is also developing the west portion of Stadium Place with R.D. Merrill Co. It will have four structures totaling 700 units, including:

• A four-story podium with 74 apartments, 16,000 square feet of retail and about 370 parking spaces set to open next spring

• A 10-story apartment building with 109 loft-style units scheduled to open in September

• A 25-story apartment tower with 331 units opening in the spring of 2014

• A 20-story future tower with 226 hotel/condo units planned for delivery in 2015

The west team includes ZGF Architects, JTM Construction and CPL.

kidhawk

Reaction score
garydrake425":rj0gy5tr said:
Not enough hotel space? Isn't there a new Hilton Embassy suits being built at the North Lot. Yes there is. I want a SB here and I want us in it. GO HAWKS

http://www.djc.com/news/re/12049228.html

Hilton Hotel at Stadium Place

A 23-story Hilton Embassy Suites Hotel will anchor the eastern half of Stadium Place, a mixed-use project near Century Link Field.

The project's developer American Life Inc. said the hotel will have 297 rooms, along with 6,000 square feet of office space connected by an atrium. In total, Stadium Place will occupy a total of 4 acres at the edge of the Century Link Field's north parking lot.

Gregory Steinhauer, chief operating officer at American Life, said construction is slated to start in late summer or early fall. Construction would likely take about two years. Steinhauer said the project is currently going through design review.

Freiheit and Ho Architects Inc. will design the building. American Life has its own contracting company, SODO Builders, to work on the project. DCI is the structural engineer, Degen & Degen is the interior designer and Integrated Site Design is the landscape architect.

The project could cost more than $300 million. American Life pays for projects through the federal EB-5 program, which lets foreign nationals invest in projects in exchange for green cards.

Along with the hotel, American Life will build a four-story parking podium, a gym with a pool and a conference center and ballroom. The complex will also have 15,000 square feet of retail space.

The second phase of this part of the project involves building 171,000 square feet of office space spread over nine stories. A top floor restaurant and bar will be there as well. American Life is developing the office portion with Daniels Real Estate.

Daniels is also developing the west portion of Stadium Place with R.D. Merrill Co. It will have four structures totaling 700 units, including:

• A four-story podium with 74 apartments, 16,000 square feet of retail and about 370 parking spaces set to open next spring

• A 10-story apartment building with 109 loft-style units scheduled to open in September

• A 25-story apartment tower with 331 units opening in the spring of 2014

• A 20-story future tower with 226 hotel/condo units planned for delivery in 2015

The west team includes ZGF Architects, JTM Construction and CPL.

This has been brought up and looked into within the last year. Super Bowl rules say that a city must have 25,000 hotel rooms for the Super Bowl. Seattle has about 13,000 in the downtown area. They said it is possible that they could stretch the boundaries to count all of king county and that would be enough to put them over the top. I know the team has looked into the possibility pretty strongly, but declined to submit an official bid last time. They may be waiting to see how it plays out next season.

BocciHawk

Reaction score
Topic comes up occasionally, agree with most of what's been said here. I think that Seattle would have a real shot if we submitted a bid, especially if there were plans to bring in a couple big cruise ships for extra lodging. This of course assumes people like the NYC Super Bowl and it doesn't end up being four degrees or something... though even that would be an argument to have it here, it's rare that we get very cold, and yeah, it might rain, but then again, usually it doesn't.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
What a great year to get the #1 seed. Could you imagine? Undefeated at home all year, two playoff games at the Clink. Just imagine what the odds would be for any opponent. That would be epic and almost make up for SBXL.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Msfann":1063ujyv said:
They will only break the rules for new York then they will change it back to the way it is now. Seattle will never get a Super Bowl.

New York is the spoiled brat who gets anything it ever wants.

Yup. I'd hate for the Hawks to make the Superbowl only to have it played in a blizzard.
Win or lose, i don't want to say that that the Weather was a factor.

m parallel

Reaction score
Not buying it.

Seattle lacks the facilities and infrastructure to support a week of visitors and parties. Large scale outdoor events, partying until late, and mingling have all been a significant part of the super bowl weeks I have attended. None of these will work in Seattle.

Additionally, I don't see the political will to financially commit to courting and hosting the game. Think of all the complaints about the Blue Angels every year, for example.

Maybe the basketball arena and surrounding development will push the dial in favor of something like this in a few years.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I would very much prefer that the Super Bowl stays in warm climates. I hated it in Detroit. Don't want it in New York. And don't want it in Seattle either.

OP
OP
Cartire

Cartire

Reaction score
m parallel":ke95hahp said:
Not buying it.

Seattle lacks the facilities and infrastructure to support a week of visitors and parties. Large scale outdoor events, partying until late, and mingling have all been a significant part of the super bowl weeks I have attended. None of these will work in Seattle.

This is untrue. Seattle host PAX West each year which brings in 70,000 persons, and the city runs just fine. If the superbowl came, you can garuntee, they would renivate some areas around the stadium, but otherwise, it could handle the crowds.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I would love it, especially if the Seahawks made it as well. Is C-Link big enough to host it or does there have to be a certain stadium capacity? Dallas, New Orleans and NY/NJ stadiums are all around 80,000. Ours is 67,000 so i'm wondering.

Can you imagine a half time show if the rain was pouring like crazy or strong winds :).

The Radish

Reaction score
m parallel":3hrtxdlx said:
Not buying it.

Additionally, I don't see the political will to financially commit to courting and hosting the game. Think of all the complaints about the Blue Angels every year, for example.

Maybe the basketball arena and surrounding development will push the dial in favor of something like this in a few years.

I don't get this attitude at all.

Seattle has hosted the final four in basketball and trust me as many people show up for that as they would for a super bowl. And its spread out over a couple of week period.

Granted you don't seat as many for a basketball game as football but I'd wager Seattle could handle the overflow easily. The part about cruise ships is easy now that there is a cruise ship dock/terminal about a mile from the stadium.

Also major airport close by with shuttle service.
Don't forget they could put people all the way to Vancouver BC north Portland/Vancouver south and transport them on special trains. Hell it would be a selling point for a destination trip vacation in the winter plan. And the train stops within walking distance of the stadium.

But trust me if it snows for the New York game and you have a frozen field that will be the end of northern venues. Green Bay went to a huge expense to make their field playable in all kinds of below 0 weather but a cold spell in New York would mean playing on a field with the consistency of freeway concrete.

With the money the NFL makes I am in favor of something mentioned now and then. Build a stadium just for the Super Bowl. Don't talk money, they could make enough money on that one game to justify it.

:les: