Reaction score
Repalcements

http://www.hawkblogger.com/2013/02/2013 ... t.html?m=1

The one I found the most interesting the defensive line:

http://www.hawkblogger.com/2013/02/2013 ... 2.html?m=1

Secondary:

http://www.hawkblogger.com/2013/02/2013 ... 4.html?m=1

This cracked me up! :D

"Lane does show uncommon burst and is a fiery competitor. Browner and Sherman set records for being the tallest cornerback pair, but a combination of Lane and Sherman could be the mouthiest duo in NFL history. Projecting Lane in 2013 and beyond is difficult. He could make a big leap and become the heir apparent. He could also stagnate and be too unreliable and undisciplined. Lane is the wildcard in this group"

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
On the secondary, one name that I really feel he's overlooked on the Free Agent CB front is Bradley Fletcher. He's a guy that I believe that the Hawks might actually take a flier on. Now, Fletcher is an interesting name in that he's got experience as a Nickel Corner and when healthy ... is a very, very good corner. Due to injuries over the past couple of years, IMO he's not going to be all that expensive.

Here is the write-up that I did on him a few days ago ...

CB -- Bradley Fletcher (6’1” 200 Pounds)
Fletcher, who turned 26 in June, is a free agent who could really fly
low under the radar and be a real coup for someone. He had 8 Passes
Defensed last season with the Rams … and though he was regarded by many
as perhaps the best corner on the team next to Janoris Jenkins … he
received less playing time as last season wore on. NFL Trade Rumors.com
has him listed at #81 on their Top 100 FA List … and most certainly he
should be – he’s got talent. Fletcher is a guy who going in to the 2009
NFL Draft was considered to be a real sleeper – someone who was
considered to be one of the fastest risers shooting up draft boards. In
fact, he was considered by some to have been the best corner at the
East-West Shrine game that year. The former Iowa star is a very
physical cornerback and a very hard worker (in fact, he earned the team
Hustle Award his last 2 years at Iowa). He has excellent speed for a
corner (4.46), leaping ability (his 38.5 inch vertical was 3rd best
among corner prospects that year), quickness, and coverage skills.
Fletcher regularly makes plays on the ball when he’s in there and has
the stuff to be a shutdown corner. So if he’s all that and a bag of
chips, what gives with the reduced playing time and why would the Rams
want to let him go? Well, because in 2011 he appeared in just 4 games
after tearing up his ACL (for the 2nd time in 3 seasons). There were
rumors that the reason the Rams dropped him down to 4th on the depth
chart was because they were looking to trade him – because he was an
impending free agent and they wanted to get value for him. Now that he
is, he’s a name that I’m certainly checking in on if I’m Seattle, as he
could be a true basement bargain.

On the Defensive Line, I'm glad that he mentioned both Vance Walker and Desmond Bryant. Those were a couple of guys I targeted a few days ago as well. Here's my write-ups on those guys and on William Hayes (another potential rotational player I believe they could take a flier on) ...

DE – William Hayes (6’3” 272 Pounds) is a name that I threw out there a few days ago who really intrigues me. Hayes was originally drafted in the 4th Round by the Titans back in 2008 ... was signed by the Rams this past offseason to a 1 year deal ... and responded by having a career year with the Rams (7.0 Sacks and 7 Tackles for Loss). He is once again a UFA. For a DE, he has good size (6'3" 272 Pounds) and extremely impressive speed for a big man (he's been clocked at 4.59 in the 40). He's 27 years old (will turn 28 in May) and one reason that he's never really broken out prior to this year is that he's played 2nd fiddle to some fairly talented DE's (like Jason Babin and Jevon Kearse) -- i.e. he's had a lot of competition for playing time. Ben Stockwell of Pro Football Focus ran an article back in June in which he called Hayes a "secret superstar", so I'm not the only one high on William Hayes. Hayes’s forte has always been against the run and PFF ranked him the 9th Best DE in the league in terms of stopping it. Obviously he added to his resume last year when given more playing time. Hayes only made $900,000 last season, so if John Schneider is truly looking for bargain basement options (which he undoubtedly is) ... I submit that he is an excellent candidate (to put in the rotation) that probably won't break the bank.

DT – Desmond Bryant (6’6” 311 Pounds) (who turns 28 in December) is another stealth bomber who could go undetected by many. After Richard Seymour went down with a season ending injury, Bryant took over as the starter for the last 8 games of the Raiders season. He had 0 sacks through Week 13 … but finished the season with 4.0 Sacks and 6 Tackles for Loss. Although he went undrafted in the 2009 Draft, this highly intelligent Harvard graduate appears to know what he’s doing, as he’s developing in to a solid pass rusher and run defender. He made $1.927 Million last season, and stands to improve upon that as the Raiders view his re-signing as a priority this offseason. As stated above though, that could be easier said than done, as the Raiders are currently $4.5 Million over the Salary Cap. Given the perpetual disarray of the organization, a team like the Seahawks could be a more attractive alternative for him.

DT -- Vance Walker (6’2” 304 Pounds) is another young Defensive Tackle (he turns 26 in April) who could be deserving of an extended look by the Seahawks. In a part time role with the Falcons (he played on 51.9% of their defensive snaps this year), Walker notched 3.0 Sacks and 2 Tackles for Loss. Those numbers don’t exactly going to set the world on fire, but Walker was considered an unsung hero and a fairly integral part of the Falcons defense this year. In fact, head coach Mike Smith went so far as to call Walker the Falcons “most productive defensive tackle in terms of pass rush statistically.” Walker’s job this season was to do the dirty work of taking up space by occupying more than one blocker – a job that he did very well this year. At Georgia Tech, Walker was considered an extremely good run stuffer and he demonstrated an ability to consistently get in to opposing backfields to disrupt and put pressure on the quarterback. He made $1.26 Million in the last year of his rookie deal and will certainly draw some interest from other clubs. Though the Falcons want him back, they will have other priorities in free agency like re-signing Strong Safety William Moore and Left Tackle Sam Baker. Walker could be just the kind of young defensive tackle that the Hawks might want to swoop in and carry back to their nest … and it realistically shouldn’t cost a wing and a talon to do it.

http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=64833&start=0

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Baldwin is entering an off-season that will determine whether his career is here in Seattle, or he gets snatched up by a team that can better utilize him. His is an ideal fit in the slot. Tate is not an ideal fit at split end or slot, which is part of why it has taken so long to work him into the offense. A silent battle will be waged this year between those two. One will get re-signed, but probably not both. Most fans would bet on Tate after he had the more productive 2012. Cost and fit favor Baldwin.

Interesting point. Depending on who we add at the WR spot, perhaps there would not be room for both Baldwin and Tate. Obviously, if they both have great years I am sure every effort will be made to retain both.

Hawks46

Reaction score
It's really make or break for both of those WRs.

Tate needs to prove this season wasn't a fluke.

Baldwin needs to prove his rookie season wasn't a fluke, and neither was this year.....he has to prove he can stay healthy.

Of the two, Baldwin, when healthy, is steadier in production. Tate is by far the most explosive. If he can get a bit more consistent, it won't be a contest.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":ijjuzps4 said:
On the secondary, one name that I really feel he's overlooked on the Free Agent CB front is Bradley Fletcher. He's a guy that I believe that the Hawks might actually take a flier on. Now, Fletcher is an interesting name in that he's got experience as a Nickel Corner and when healthy ... is a very, very good corner. Due to injuries over the past couple of years, IMO he's not going to be all that expensive.

Here is the write-up that I did on him a few days ago ...

CB -- Bradley Fletcher (6’1” 200 Pounds)
Fletcher, who turned 26 in June, is a free agent who could really fly
low under the radar and be a real coup for someone. He had 8 Passes
Defensed last season with the Rams … and though he was regarded by many
as perhaps the best corner on the team next to Janoris Jenkins … he
received less playing time as last season wore on. NFL Trade Rumors.com
has him listed at #81 on their Top 100 FA List … and most certainly he
should be – he’s got talent. Fletcher is a guy who going in to the 2009
NFL Draft was considered to be a real sleeper – someone who was
considered to be one of the fastest risers shooting up draft boards. In
fact, he was considered by some to have been the best corner at the
East-West Shrine game that year. The former Iowa star is a very
physical cornerback and a very hard worker (in fact, he earned the team
Hustle Award his last 2 years at Iowa). He has excellent speed for a
corner (4.46), leaping ability (his 38.5 inch vertical was 3rd best
among corner prospects that year), quickness, and coverage skills.
Fletcher regularly makes plays on the ball when he’s in there and has
the stuff to be a shutdown corner. So if he’s all that and a bag of
chips, what gives with the reduced playing time and why would the Rams
want to let him go? Well, because in 2011 he appeared in just 4 games
after tearing up his ACL (for the 2nd time in 3 seasons). There were
rumors that the reason the Rams dropped him down to 4th on the depth
chart was because they were looking to trade him – because he was an
impending free agent and they wanted to get value for him. Now that he
is, he’s a name that I’m certainly checking in on if I’m Seattle, as he
could be a true basement bargain.

On the Defensive Line, I'm glad that he mentioned both Vance Walker and Desmond Bryant. Those were a couple of guys I targeted a few days ago as well. Here's my write-ups on those guys and on William Hayes (another potential rotational player I believe they could take a flier on) ...

DE – William Hayes (6’3” 272 Pounds) is a name that I threw out there a few days ago who really intrigues me. Hayes was originally drafted in the 4th Round by the Titans back in 2008 ... was signed by the Rams this past offseason to a 1 year deal ... and responded by having a career year with the Rams (7.0 Sacks and 7 Tackles for Loss). He is once again a UFA. For a DE, he has good size (6'3" 272 Pounds) and extremely impressive speed for a big man (he's been clocked at 4.59 in the 40). He's 27 years old (will turn 28 in May) and one reason that he's never really broken out prior to this year is that he's played 2nd fiddle to some fairly talented DE's (like Jason Babin and Jevon Kearse) -- i.e. he's had a lot of competition for playing time. Ben Stockwell of Pro Football Focus ran an article back in June in which he called Hayes a "secret superstar", so I'm not the only one high on William Hayes. Hayes’s forte has always been against the run and PFF ranked him the 9th Best DE in the league in terms of stopping it. Obviously he added to his resume last year when given more playing time. Hayes only made $900,000 last season, so if John Schneider is truly looking for bargain basement options (which he undoubtedly is) ... I submit that he is an excellent candidate (to put in the rotation) that probably won't break the bank.

DT – Desmond Bryant (6’6” 311 Pounds) (who turns 28 in December) is another stealth bomber who could go undetected by many. After Richard Seymour went down with a season ending injury, Bryant took over as the starter for the last 8 games of the Raiders season. He had 0 sacks through Week 13 … but finished the season with 4.0 Sacks and 6 Tackles for Loss. Although he went undrafted in the 2009 Draft, this highly intelligent Harvard graduate appears to know what he’s doing, as he’s developing in to a solid pass rusher and run defender. He made $1.927 Million last season, and stands to improve upon that as the Raiders view his re-signing as a priority this offseason. As stated above though, that could be easier said than done, as the Raiders are currently $4.5 Million over the Salary Cap. Given the perpetual disarray of the organization, a team like the Seahawks could be a more attractive alternative for him.

DT -- Vance Walker (6’2” 304 Pounds) is another young Defensive Tackle (he turns 26 in April) who could be deserving of an extended look by the Seahawks. In a part time role with the Falcons (he played on 51.9% of their defensive snaps this year), Walker notched 3.0 Sacks and 2 Tackles for Loss. Those numbers don’t exactly going to set the world on fire, but Walker was considered an unsung hero and a fairly integral part of the Falcons defense this year. In fact, head coach Mike Smith went so far as to call Walker the Falcons “most productive defensive tackle in terms of pass rush statistically.” Walker’s job this season was to do the dirty work of taking up space by occupying more than one blocker – a job that he did very well this year. At Georgia Tech, Walker was considered an extremely good run stuffer and he demonstrated an ability to consistently get in to opposing backfields to disrupt and put pressure on the quarterback. He made $1.26 Million in the last year of his rookie deal and will certainly draw some interest from other clubs. Though the Falcons want him back, they will have other priorities in free agency like re-signing Strong Safety William Moore and Left Tackle Sam Baker. Walker could be just the kind of young defensive tackle that the Hawks might want to swoop in and carry back to their nest … and it realistically shouldn’t cost a wing and a talon to do it.

http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=64833&start=0

Wow! Great stuff! Why didnt I see this before? It looks like it was posted in the Seahawks forum. :icon_new:

Edit : Just read that article by Stockwell and it looks to me like Hayes would be a great pick up to play run defense at the DE spot. We struggled with the run late in the season and William might be the cure for that. Not to mention a stand in until Clemons returns.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... ouis-rams/

NYCoug

Reaction score
Great find. Thanks.

I think the best bet for the Hawks during this offseason is to sign the role players during Free Agency and draft the guys they think will be future stars. Get creative with those 12 picks they'll have, make some trades, and get a collection of talent that'll have a shot at cracking the roster. Of course, Pete might be salivating right now at the thought of using all 12 draft picks. Think of all that competition. It would be a bloodbath just to make the 53 man roster out of camp. They might be spent before the preseason even starts!