I can't take it anymore. Kicker Related.

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13

Who would you rather have?

Hauschka (healthy)
51%
Legatron-type
49%

Total votes : 94

I can't take it anymore. Kicker Related.
Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:01 pm
  • Alright. I've absolutely, without a doubt, had enough of this kicker nonsense.

Attention all you people saying we need a to find a new kicker AKA Legatron 2.0.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Sweet. The kid can make the occasional 55-60 yard FG. I don't give a damn because he misses 30-40 yarders like it's going out of style. Can someone PLEASE explain to me what the obsession is with trying to find someone besides Hauschka? I'm talking about a healthy Hauschka. I would rather take a kicker that makes nearly 100% of FGs under 50 yards, than the occasional leg that can make the 50+ but is inaccurate and NOT clutch.

Am I in the minority, thinking that it's better to have a clutch, accurate kicker that you can count on every single time up to 50 yards?!

I can't take it anymore. Good god, people. Let's be real!
    bigdaddydave
    NET Rookie

• I'd rather not have any kicker at all. Go for 2 and punt the ball on kickoffs.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• JSeahawks wrote:I'd rather not have any kicker at all. Go for 2 and punt the ball on kickoffs.

Haha! Cheater!
    bigdaddydave
    NET Rookie

• 3 People said Legatron. C'mon, I'm awaiting your explanations...
    bigdaddydave
    NET Rookie

• I think that it is becoming more important to kick the ball at least 5 yards deep on every kickoff. Kick returners are getting better and better......GO LEON!
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Pete likes playing the field position game anyway. He can do this because he has a reliable defense and an amazingly accurate punter. Not to mention great special teams tacklers and an all-world returner. It seemed like the offense almost always started with great field position throughout the latter part of the season.

Given this strategy, the only time a guy with 55-60 yard range would be useful to us is in game winning situations. Otherwise, it's way more important that our kicker be money from 30-45 when taking the FG is a no brainer. Hauschka is the right guy for this team. He's automatic in the no-brainer FG range.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• DavidSeven wrote:Given this strategy, the only time a guy with 55-60 yard range would be useful to us is in game winning situations. Otherwise, it's way more important that our kicker be money from 30-45 when taking the FG is a no brainer. Hauschka is the right guy for this team. He's automatic in the no-brainer FG range.

Thank you, David. I agree 100%.
    bigdaddydave
    NET Rookie

• Hauschka. I prefer quality over quantity.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

• I think people would prefer a kicker with both skills, and I don't know why they shouldn't. Z misses a lot, but not all powerful kickers are inaccurate, and it would be nice to have the option of attempting a 55 to 60 yarder at the end of a game. I wouldn't sacrifice reliability for power though.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

• Hauschka's leg strength is pathetic, I don't think we need Legatron 2.0 , but it would be nice to see us be outside the 20 and see the field goal kicker coming on the field instead of J. Ryan playing the field position game.
    run and shoot
    NET Practice Squad

• run and shoot wrote:Hauschka's leg strength is pathetic, I don't think we need Legatron 2.0 , but it would be nice to see us be outside the 20 and see the field goal kicker coming on the field instead of J. Ryan playing the field position game.

Steve Hauscka went 24-27 and had a .889% field goal percentage, Went 24-27 in field goals.
    In the 0-29yd range he was 8-8 in the 30-39yd range he was 10-10 in the 40-49 yd range he was 5-5 in the 50+ he was 1-4 his long was 52 yarder.

Hauschka missed only three field-goal attempts. One was blocked and the other two came from 61 and 51 yards

Greg Zuerlein went 23-31 and had a .742 percentage.
    in the 0-29yd range he was 5-5 in the 30-39yd range he was 3-5 in the 40-49 yd range he was 7-13 in the 50+

Zuerlein is the man. But, I think the key to ST is consistency, and constantly having that nagging thought that, maybe my kicker can boot it from the 45, 50,56 (twice this year they missed from 66 yards out) is not conducive to having a ST that does something consistently.

I don't think Hauska's leg is pathetic, I think that Pete's scheme values consistency and field position above everything else.

Being in a situation were a FG from behind the 45 or 50 is needed is not as important as hitting everything from the 39 yard line and forward.

Now if you ask me, I would rather have Blair Walsh over any of these guys. That dude is crazy. He hit 92 percent of his FG's, went 35-38, went 10-10 in the 50+ range with a long of 56. 2 of his FG's were blocked and 1 was in crazy weather conditions.
    Smoke
    NET Veteran

• What Darth Vader said.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• As long as he can hit 95% of FGs within 50 yards and put the ball deep in the end zone on kickoffs, I don't care who our kicker is. Except for the truly bad ones, kickers are pretty much interchangeable.
    Last edited by volsunghawk on Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• OP, i didnt realize the two were mutually exclusive. What an odd assumption that a kicker with a strong leg is inaccurate and unclutch
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

• With Russell Wilson at QB we only need a kicker for kickoffs. Game winning FG's? Not in Russ' vocabulary. He likes to throw a game winning TD. We saw that Jon Ryan can kickoff. Save the roster spot. No kicker. :sarcasm_on:
    Go Hawks!
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran

• I voted for Legatron. I don't however want an inaccurate strong-legged kicker. My main issue/worry with Hauschka is the fact that last year may have been an aberration. He's been good, and at times very good for us, but you can't discount what he had done with the Ravens. I for one would like to have Hauschka back, though. I just would like an accurate, stronger legged kicker so we don't simply have to punt when we're more than 45 yards out.
    rsRyno
    NET Bench Warmer

• What if we could get someone like Blair Walsh who hits the long field goals like legatron and hits all of the short ones like haushka
    seahawks875
    NET Rookie

• I hate seeing the kickers. Just convert 3rd down god dammit!
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

• figured i'd break the tie.
    4/27/13 - I was there #humblethug
    "He looked like a bad man," Sherman said, "and I knew we were alright."
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

• I like Haushka and have no problem with having him as our K, but if we could draft a guy like the Rams have in the 4th round or later, I consider him a weapon upgrade.
    LudwigsDrummer
    US Navy Air VP 56 `74-`78

• therealjohncarlson wrote:OP, i didnt realize the two were mutually exclusive. What an odd assumption that a kicker with a strong leg is inaccurate and unclutch

My thoughts exactly. I like Hausch's consistency, but I wouldn't mind if he had a stronger leg. But if he's the best we can do then I think we're doing ok. If we just score TD's then who cares.

Also, congrats Smoke on the Kearly cosign. This has to be a big moment for you.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• Blair Walsh seems to be able to do both. Justin Tucker is pretty good too.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• BKA: Best. Kicker. Available.
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran

• seahawks875 wrote:What if we could get someone like Blair Walsh who hits the long field goals like legatron and hits all of the short ones like haushka

Walsh kicks in a dome, that helps a lot.
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran

• I agree with those in here saying it would be nice to get a little stronger leg with similar consistency. For fun, here's Ravens Kicker Justin Tucker compared to Hauschka

Made/Attempted

Tucker: 30/33 (3 misses in the 40-49 yard range while 4/4 over 50 with a long 56)

Hauschka: 24/27 (3 misses in the over 50 yard range, 1/4 from over 50 with a long of 52)

Kickoffs

Tucker: 67.5 yard average with 49 touchbacks and 39 returns at 23.4 yards per return

Hauschka: 65.9 yeard average with 36 touchbacks and 49 returns at 23.1 yards per return

So, basically, you can get a little more leg with very similar accuracy.

I'm not on the dump Hauschka bandwagon or anything, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be on the lookout and bring in competition.

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Who is Legatron? Zurelien? He only missed 2 under 50. But if that's who you are talking about he is hardly deserving of the name Legatron. I selected Legatron with thoughts of that person being more on the lines of Dawson, Walsh, Tucker, and Janikowski. But I don't think Haushka's distance accuracy is worth not signing him unless someone with power and accuracy was available. The need for an strong accurate kicker is so low it doesn't even register on my meter.
    ceej22
    NET Rookie

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:38 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information