Russell Wilson wins Pepsi Max Rookie of the Year

kearly

Reaction score
Voting breakdown? Guess it probably doesn't matter since it was a "vote as much as you want" system, but curiosity still eats at me anyway.

Wilson won this award instead of the actual ROY for two reasons:

#1: Fans are genuinely voting for who they think is the best player, or the player with the best reputation. There is probably a bias towards who played best at the end of the season. AP voters are generally voting for who they think was the best story.

#2: Wilson's media coverage didn't take off until the AP vote deadline was approaching. The Pepsi Max voting stayed open for roughly a month longer. That really benefited Wilson, who has become one of the darlings of the NFL in that same time frame.

Shame the AP voting didn't happen after the season ended. I am reasonably sure Wilson would have won it.

GoHawks

Reaction score
Link to Seahawks.com Article

130202wilson600.jpg

nategreat

Reaction score
Voting for Rookie of the Year is a joke. I have no idea why it doesn't include the post season. So if Russell Wilson were to have had the best post-season in history for a quarterback, lead his team to the Superbowl, and win Superbowl MVP, that wouldn't do anything for him for winning the award? That makes no sense to me. The award should include the post-season, not just the regular season.

OP
OP
razgriz737

razgriz737

Reaction score
nategreat":1aaafjle said:
Voting for Rookie of the Year is a joke. I have no idea why it doesn't include the post season. So if Russell Wilson were to have had the best post-season in history for a quarterback, lead his team to the Superbowl, and win Superbowl MVP, that wouldn't do anything for him for winning the award? That makes no sense to me. The award should include the post-season, not just the regular season.
I have started to wonder about that. More like "Rookie of the Regular Season".
When RW does win the Lombardi, RGIII will be a funny little footnote on his epic ass. (kudos if anyone gets the movie reference)

volsunghawk

Reaction score
razgriz737":2o06yoim said:
nategreat":2o06yoim said:
When RW does win the Lombardi, RGIII will be a funny little footnote on his epic ass. (kudos if anyone gets the movie reference)
School of Rock, I think.

OP
OP
razgriz737

razgriz737

Reaction score
volsunghawk":3ctw9scy said:
razgriz737":3ctw9scy said:
nategreat":3ctw9scy said:
School of Rock, I think.
Bravo, sir.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
hgwellz12":1sic026j said:
The kid's trophy case is going to be bursting at the seams when its all said and done!
We'll look back on this one like "Awww, wemember when wittle Wussy won the Pepsi Trophy? How cute!"
?????:?:?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
The fact that the AP award is voted on BEFORE the entire season is over, including playoffs, is all you need to know about the joke it is.