Best Seahawks "Flash in the Pan"

Sac

Reaction score
The best TE thread got me thinking about this, mostly because of John Carlson.

But other than him and Tubbs, who dominated, what other Seahawks came right out of the gate and dominated early only to end up disappointing due to injury or other issues?

*if not dominated at least showed a lot of promise?

AgentDib

Reaction score
My vote is also for Derrick Mayes. He came out of nowhere in 1999 to lead the team in TDs and was second in receiving yards, and I bet at least half of the people reading this don't remember him. Apparently he is a television producer these days.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Probably Rick Mirer. He almost won rookie of the year, and then...well...

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Boz

The guy showed some crazy flashes of talent. Until physically his shoulders broke down (and that's obviously another story), and his career ended way too soon.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":3w2a3fim said:

I thought of him too except then I looked at his rookie stats. 12 TD's and 17 Interceptions. It's amazing we were able to trade him and a 4th rounder for the 11th pick in the draft.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":34rcai3j said:

That's my vote -- the last Seahawks Starting QB who wore #3. Rick Mirer won AFC Rookie of the Year in 1993 -- his best year as a Seahawk. It was all downhill from there. He went from being the #2 Overall Pick in the NFL Draft ... to being a Chicago Bear just 4 years later. Hard to argue a bigger flash in the pan guy then that.

Then again as I'm typing this, I am reminded about a certain high profiled mohawk sporting LB from Oklahoma. Brian Bosworth was in a whole different category by himself. Those of you like me who were around to watch him play know exactly what I mean. To think, the Seahawks actually signed that guy to a 10 year $11 million contract -- which at the time was the largest contract ever given to a rookie in NFL History. For what he ended up giving the Hawks, he's the very definition of flash in the pan (and man, did he ever have a lot of flash). He had an incredibly flashy personality - the Richard Sherman of his day. Remember those T-Shirts that were floating around Seattle promoting the Boz -- Boz knows Elway (IIRC). Well, there were also T-Shirts that were sold in Denver that sported Boz's face with a slash through it that said "Ban the Boz". The thing is, it was the exact same company who sold both shirts -- 44 Boz, Inc. In other words, it was Bosworth himself who owned the company. What a character.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I was thinking D.J. Hackett, he made a lot of plays early, but flat out coudn't stay healthy.
He didn't dominate or anything, but he really became a big time weapon for Hass. Unfortunately, every time you looked up he was injured.

Rick Mirer is obviously a good choice after that first season.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Steve Niehaus. The guy was dominant, but couldn't keep his shoulder in joint.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
Rick Mirer stunk. Look at the stats. He was a cracker for a starving person. Thought it was delicious, but it was just Guh!

I'll go with Deep Heat Daryl Turner.

travlinhawk

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":2zxsg7li said:
Missing_Clink":2zxsg7li said:

That's my vote -- the last Seahawks Starting QB who wore #3. Rick Mirer won AFC Rookie of the Year in 1993 -- his best year as a Seahawk. It was all downhill from there. He went from being the #2 Overall Pick in the NFL Draft ... to being a Chicago Bear just 4 years later. Hard to argue a bigger flash in the pan guy then that.

Then again as I'm typing this, I am reminded about a certain high profiled mohawk sporting LB from Oklahoma. Brian Bosworth was in a whole different category by himself. Those of you like me who were around to watch him play know exactly what I mean. To think, the Seahawks actually signed that guy to a 10 year $11 million contract -- which at the time was the largest contract ever given to a rookie in NFL History. For what he ended up giving the Hawks, he's the very definition of flash in the pan (and man, did he ever have a lot of flash). He had an incredibly flashy personality - the Richard Sherman of his day. Remember those T-Shirts that were floating around Seattle promoting the Boz -- Boz knows Elway (IIRC). Well, there were also T-Shirts that were sold in Denver that sported Boz's face with a slash through it that said "Ban the Boz". The thing is, it was the exact same company who sold both shirts -- 44 Boz, Inc. In other words, it was Bosworth himself who owned the company. What a character.

Yep- and that 1 hit I remember on Elway was worth it! They coined it the xxx million dollar hit or something like that. No Bozo's in Denver was priceless.

IMHO- Mirer seemed to fade out after he was totally embarrassed at the QB competition in Hawaii. He whiffed the distance competition, was laughed at by everyone and the next year started to suck. At least that's what I remember.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
Nick Reed, had one of the best preseasons for a player I have ever seen but never translated to regular season.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":15m9k93u said:
Boz

The guy showed some crazy flashes of talent. Until physically his shoulders broke down (and that's obviously another story), and his career ended way too soon.

Definitely. I think that's the best answer.

kearly

Reaction score
Lofa Tatupu (sort of).

Kelly Jennings (was actually very good in his 2nd season).

Tim Ruskell's draft resume is full of "peak early" players.

Michael Boulware deserves mention as well.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Boulware is a good choice -- but I always felt he was foolsgold anyway. Lots of raging board debates about him back then. He did have the ability to make opposing QBs throw the ball right at him. Uncanny.

Latest posts