Earl Thomas and his Brilliant solution.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
During the Probowl Thomas was playing in the nickle slot during the second hald. He had a pick on the 2nd play of the game. This is what he had to say about it

"Hopefully, coach Carroll saw it and will let me play,” he said through a sly smile that was as good as a wink. “I wanted to put something on film, so coach Carroll can look at it and say, ‘OK, look what we’ve got. He can cover. He can play the slot.’ Maybe I’ll get some action out there.”

I've been preaching this all season! Maybe we can coach up Jeron Johnson to play the deep safety on 3rd downs.

Perfect World - We sign Ed Reed , 1st and second downs Kam will play closer to the LOS with Wright and Wagner as the only LB's on the field. 3rd downs Thomas on slot with Reed patroling the Slot! imagine :thirishdrinkers:

Shock2k

Reaction score
Holy crap, I didn't realize he had that much interest in playing slot. That's really interesting from a draft perspective.

drdiags

Reaction score
His rookie year, in the play in game against the Rams he was all over Amendola in the slot. Too bad LeGree didn't work out. Earl would have been able to shift around a whole lot more.

Shock2k

Reaction score
Come to think of it, he shouldn't have had those interceptions against the deep shot. He almost takes away two deep shots (attempts) a game. No way they are moving him just for that reason.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
This is what he had to say after the game on Twitter.

"@Earl_Thomas: Was really happy that I got to play a lil cornerback today....#db.."

Lithium

Reaction score
I say heck no, ET is the best safety in football right now, If we move him to slot, ok yeah the slot guy wont get open as much but there will be a heck of a lot more deep balls completed. I guess if we brought Ed Reed in it would be okay but I doubt that will happen. just draft or sign a slot corner, problem solved.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I could actually see it working on a situational basis i.e. third downs only. Ideally, however, we'd just find a capable slot corner (you can usually find one deep in the draft or cheaply elsewhere) and let ET do his thing in deep coverage.

misfit

Reaction score
Maybe thats part of the reason Schneider liked Mark Barron in the draft last year so much...

getnasty

Reaction score
Earl played corner at Texas if i remember right, and i have no doubt he'd be great playing the nickel corner. At the same time he's way to valuble and covers too much ground at safety to move him around.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Potential for a nice trick up our sleeve, particularly if our pass rush woes continue and we're looking to get every last bit of effectiveness out of the guys in coverage.

bigdaddydave

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":2j1xwcoa said:
Potential for a nice trick up our sleeve, particularly if our pass rush woes continue and we're looking to get every last bit of effectiveness out of the guys in coverage.

I agree. It could definitely work on third down plays!

scutterhawk

Reaction score
He has the talent to cover in situational plays, and I hope Carroll at least tries ever so often, to get him playing out of his normal position, just to screw with the opposition.
It wouldn't have to be done too often, but i can see where opposing Quarterbacks would be confused into making a mistake.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I would be okay with him moving to the slot spot on third downs, but I would prefer that the team find someone that can stick there for the long term so that we don't lose the protection that Earl provides for our CBs over the top.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
He's too valuable over the top. Some of you are taking what he says 2 reporters too seriously. Maybe if we play a team that doesn't have much of a deep threat we can put him in the slot sometimes.

Uffda

Reaction score
Think he's too good , out there supporting the CB's .

Makes them even better.

So fast, can cover the ground.

zayden185

Reaction score
Thought he was a corner tht moved to safety at Texas

Now that I'm reminded...rather surprised he hasn't played in slot. Fast of the blitz as well!

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Hmmm, pretty interesting. I'm not sure how I'd feel about a full time move, but (playing devil's advocat here) Earl would be damn good covering the slot, and it would almost certainly add some years to his career (barring injury) as he wouldn't be hitting (or getting hit by) guys as often.

But I don't see it happening, you don't change an all-pro's position... right?

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Show safety blitz then fall back into slot coverage. Show slot coverage, then blitz. Show safety blitz, then fall back into deep safety coverage. Just gives the defense more options and the opposing QB more to think about.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Shock2k":2ffo1m9h said:
Holy crap, I didn't realize he had that much interest in playing slot. That's really interesting from a draft perspective.

Thomas probably didn't have that much interest before the last two years. But two years of seeing our slot DB's get burned like toast will change a man.

Latest posts