John Schneider not named top executive of the year

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • Well the GM did come in and completely overhauled that roster. I think it was 26 of the 53 man roster were all new players he brought in, so it's not much of a robbery. They hit on some guys besides Luck, of course...that shouldn't even count. But TY Hilton, Coby Fleener, Dwayne Allen, Brazill, Sowell, Ballard all contributed. And then of course, bringing in Pagano.

    I think a couple years down the road and you look back at each respective bodies of work, Schneider will clearly be the winner, though...probably even the Exec of the Decade if such a thing existed.
    User avatar
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7332
    Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:12 am


  • I have no indignation for subjective awards. It's nice to win a few, but really it means very little.
    _______________________
    Remember, it's all for fun.
    User avatar
    Hawkstorian
    * NET Staff *
     
    Posts: 2918
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:19 am
    Location: Spokane


  • Yeah this is odd. I've heard some decent arguments for Elway and the guy in Miami, but Indy? It's probably because they started 20 something rookies. But I still don't see how they did better than Seattle.
    User avatar
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2316
    Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:39 pm


  • Congratulations to the Colts GM for having the guts to make the most obvious move in the last 20 years of football.
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 18692
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


  • Lets be honest here. We want John to win as much for the last three years as the last one year. But the Colts did win 11 games with a rookie and while switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4. Not bad at all. Neither Schneider or Grigson is a bad choice.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 11572
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • What you guys are saying:
    The Seahawks are the best
    All other teams suck
    Both Schneider and Grigson did really good jobs, but he still put enough talent on a 2-14 team to take them to the playoffs. The Seahawks had a lot more talent this year so Schneider didn't do as much this year, Grigson should have won with Schneider as a close second
    seahawks875
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 238
    Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:14 am


  • Scottemojo wrote:Lets be honest here. We want John to win as much for the last three years as the last one year. But the Colts did win 11 games with a rookie and while switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4. Not bad at all. Neither Schneider or Grigson is a bad choice.


    I know, right? The only way Schneider should have been in contention at all is if he also went 11-5 with a rookie quarterback. And if Schneider had somehow lucked out in the draft with top OROY and DROY candidates, he just might have pulled it off. Might have taken at least one more playoff win than teams like Indy and Denver, though.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    User avatar
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *
     
    Posts: 18911
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:23 am
    Location: The beautiful PNW


  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:Lets be honest here. We want John to win as much for the last three years as the last one year. But the Colts did win 11 games with a rookie and while switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4. Not bad at all. Neither Schneider or Grigson is a bad choice.


    I know, right? The only way Schneider should have been in contention at all is if he also went 11-5 with a rookie quarterback. And if Schneider had somehow lucked out in the draft with top OROY and DROY candidates, he just might have pulled it off. Might have taken at least one more playoff win than teams like Indy and Denver, though.

    That award is voted on before the playoffs. And like I said, the Colts did switch defense schemes this year. Our D was in pretty good shape to begin the year.

    I would love it if Schneider won, but he didn't. However, Schneider is getting a Bill Belichick reputation for personnel inside the league. I heard Amani Toomer say that all new GMs would be smart to just figure out who John Schneider likes instead of scouting players. Where our GM used to lose picks moving around in the draft targeting boy scouts, this guy accumulates picks.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 11572
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • Eh, this doesn't bother me to much. Most of this team was built in 2010-11. Wilson and Wagner were great picks and really put us over the top, but the Colts were completely overhauled, much like Schneider did here in 2010. Luck was clearly the main reason for the Colts turnaround (that and their cakewalk schedule,) but still, going from 2-14 to 11-5 while completely overhauling the roster is impressive.
    Last edited by XxXdragonXxX on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Image
    User avatar
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1057
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:40 am
    Location: Enumclaw, WA


  • Definitely agree that Schneider was more deserving, but people need to quit pretending that all Grigson did was draft Luck. Grigson was deserving, definitely.
    Image

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    User avatar
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8312
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:20 am
    Location: Right outside Richard Sherman's house


  • Wasn't their schedule ranked like #32 in terms of difficulty?
    User avatar
    Axx
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2539
    Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:37 pm


  • Didn't their GM get like 50% new players on the roster?
    Image
    sig by Ramster
    User avatar
    The Battle #83
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 323
    Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:42 pm
    Location: Rival Country


  • These kinds of accolades usually precede a fall off in performance for executives in other businesses. I don't know if that happens in the NFL but at least we don't have to find out the hard way. Being the best is better than being named the best.
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 666
    Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:25 pm


  • If I'm reading this right, isn't this the Sporting News exec of the year, and not the official AP award?
    User avatar
    misfit
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 339
    Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:40 pm


  • misfit wrote:If I'm reading this right, isn't this the Sporting News exec of the year, and not the official AP award?

    I think you're right, actually. Looking into it...
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???


    2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    User avatar
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1810
    Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:12 pm
    Location: Spokane/Seattle


  • After a couple google searches, it appears there is no AP award for Exec of the Year. So maybe this is as official as it gets? I have no idea.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???


    2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    User avatar
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1810
    Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:12 pm
    Location: Spokane/Seattle


  • AP doesn't name an Executive of the Year. The Sporting News award is considered the premiere one for the category.

    I just saw the voting breakdown:

    Ryan Grigson - Indianapolis - 9
    John Elway - Denver - 8
    John Schnieder - Seattle - 3

    Bruce Allen - Washington - 2
    Rick Smith- Houston - 2

    WOW. That. Is. Ridiculous.
    User avatar
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4059
    Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 am


  • DavidSeven wrote:AP doesn't name an Executive of the Year. The Sporting News award is considered the premiere one for the category.

    I just saw the voting breakdown:

    Ryan Grigson - Indianapolis - 9
    John Elway - Denver - 8
    John Schnieder - Seattle - 3
    Bruce Allen - Washington - 2
    Rick Smith- Houston - 2

    WOW. That. Is. Ridiculous.
    Image
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???


    2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    User avatar
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1810
    Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:12 pm
    Location: Spokane/Seattle


  • Wow, they really missed their marks.
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 666
    Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:25 pm


  • -The Glove- wrote:Well the GM did come in and completely overhauled that roster. I think it was 26 of the 53 man roster were all new players he brought in, so it's not much of a robbery. They hit on some guys besides Luck, of course...that shouldn't even count. But TY Hilton, Coby Fleener, Dwayne Allen, Brazill, Sowell, Ballard all contributed. And then of course, bringing in Pagano.

    I think a couple years down the road and you look back at each respective bodies of work, Schneider will clearly be the winner, though...probably even the Exec of the Decade if such a thing existed.


    Didn't john do this same thing two years in a row?
    I guess we will see soon enough who builds a better club.
    joeshaney
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 308
    Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:10 pm


  • More ignorance. Newsflash, for sure.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 26647
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


  • Scottemojo wrote:Lets be honest here. We want John to win as much for the last three years as the last one year. But the Colts did win 11 games with a rookie and while switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4. Not bad at all. Neither Schneider or Grigson is a bad choice.


    Kind of rings hollow for me. This snub reminds me of what the Academy Awards does all the time, anointing a flavor of the month film over an obvious all time classic. The Colts had the underlying indicators of a sub .500 team. It is possible, not likely but possible, that Grigson may not even have a job 5 years from now while Schneider is very likely to be the consensus top GM in the league. It wouldn't be the first time this award has looked pretty stupid in retrospect.
    User avatar
    Screaming Seahawk
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 2
    Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:40 am


  • the colts had a MASSIVE roster turnover this past season. I don't remember the exact number but I think it was less than 50% of the roster was on the team last year.
    ----
    ensett
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1534
    Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:26 am


  • ensett wrote:the colts had a MASSIVE roster turnover this past season. I don't remember the exact number but I think it was less than 50% of the roster was on the team last year.


    Schneider had to overcome the same thing. The difference is that the Colts GM inherited 3 future hall of fame players and the top pick guaranteed to land the chosen one Andrew Luck.

    Schneider inherited a pile of turds too thick to flush.
    No teams over the last few drafts have done half as much as he has. He filled a crappy roster with oodles of probowlers and all-pros and didn't have to have any number one overall picks to do it.
    joeshaney
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 308
    Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:10 pm


  • Scottemojo wrote:Lets be honest here. We want John to win as much for the last three years as the last one year. But the Colts did win 11 games with a rookie and while switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4. Not bad at all. Neither Schneider or Grigson is a bad choice.


    If you want to be honest, also bring up the cupcake schedule the Colts had, and having the #1 overall pick which they only got because Curtis Painter's a worse QB than my cat.

    John Schneider, on the other hand, was so convinced of what Russell Wilson turned out to be, that he wanted to draft him in the 2nd round instead of the 3rd, and Papa Pete had to talk him down. Just like Elway signing Peyton, it's a move a brain-dead moron would have made, too. Well, even if the Colts didn't, they'd have been fine with RG3 and likely would have made him be more of a passer than the Redskins; but I digress.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 26647
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


  • joeshaney wrote:
    -The Glove- wrote:Well the GM did come in and completely overhauled that roster. I think it was 26 of the 53 man roster were all new players he brought in, so it's not much of a robbery. They hit on some guys besides Luck, of course...that shouldn't even count. But TY Hilton, Coby Fleener, Dwayne Allen, Brazill, Sowell, Ballard all contributed. And then of course, bringing in Pagano.

    I think a couple years down the road and you look back at each respective bodies of work, Schneider will clearly be the winner, though...probably even the Exec of the Decade if such a thing existed.


    Didn't john do this same thing two years in a row?
    I guess we will see soon enough who builds a better club.

    Pretty much
    User avatar
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7332
    Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:12 am


  • All I hear Re: Luck's ROY candidacy is how he has NO DEFENSE, NO RUN GAME, NO OFFENSIVE WEAPONS, and HAS TO DO IT ALL ON HIS OWN. So, which is it? Did the golden boy carry a terribly assembled roster on his back or did their GM surround him with good-enough talent by replacing half the roster?

    Can't have it both ways.
    User avatar
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4059
    Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 am


  • DavidSeven wrote:All I hear Re: Luck's ROY candidacy is how he has NO DEFENSE, NO RUN GAME, NO OFFENSIVE WEAPONS, and HAS TO DO IT ALL ON HIS OWN. So, which is it? Did the golden boy carry a terribly assembled roster on his back or did their GM surround him with good-enough talent by replacing half the roster?

    Can't have it both ways.




    WINNER!!!! :thirishdrinkers:
    User avatar
    lacenterhawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 260
    Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:55 am
    Location: La Center, Washington


  • Love it, DavidSeven.
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 666
    Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:25 pm


  • DavidSeven wrote:All I hear Re: Luck's ROY candidacy is how he has NO DEFENSE, NO RUN GAME, NO OFFENSIVE WEAPONS, and HAS TO DO IT ALL ON HIS OWN. So, which is it? Did the golden boy carry a terribly assembled roster on his back or did their GM surround him with good-enough talent by replacing half the roster?

    Can't have it both ways.



    JACKPOT!
    User avatar
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2806
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:46 am


  • BirdsCommaAngry wrote:These kinds of accolades usually precede a fall off in performance for executives in other businesses. I don't know if that happens in the NFL but at least we don't have to find out the hard way. Being the best is better than being named the best.



    Love it!
    GO SEAHAWKS!!
    User avatar
    grizrgood
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 92
    Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:08 am
    Location: Selah, Washington


  • Yakima Hawkster wrote:Sorry Blueandgreen I disagree. ROY decision could rightfully favor any one of the three QB's. But executive? No way. Schneider should've won hands down.


    To be fair the Colts GM made massive additions to the roster. 6 of their draft picks played very significant roles in their offense. The had rookie QB, RB, 2-TE's, 2-WR's. Pretty good haul.

    Though I think it's hard to overlook 1) OROY candidate Russell Wilson (Best value in the entire draft), 2) DROY candidate Bobby Wagner, 3) Rookie Sack leader Bruce Irvin.

    Than you add in Turbin, Guy (at end of year), Sweezy, Scruggs, and Lane and I think you have the most complete draft in the league in terms of contributors.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2433
    Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:48 pm


  • DavidSeven wrote:All I hear Re: Luck's ROY candidacy is how he has NO DEFENSE, NO RUN GAME, NO OFFENSIVE WEAPONS, and HAS TO DO IT ALL ON HIS OWN. So, which is it? Did the golden boy carry a terribly assembled roster on his back or did their GM surround him with good-enough talent by replacing half the roster?

    Can't have it both ways.

    That really is an excellent point.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???


    2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    User avatar
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1810
    Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:12 pm
    Location: Spokane/Seattle


  • DavidSeven wrote:All I hear Re: Luck's ROY candidacy is how he has NO DEFENSE, NO RUN GAME, NO OFFENSIVE WEAPONS, and HAS TO DO IT ALL ON HIS OWN. So, which is it? Did the golden boy carry a terribly assembled roster on his back or did their GM surround him with good-enough talent by replacing half the roster?

    Can't have it both ways.


    Kudos on pointing out the doublethink.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

    RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    User avatar
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *
     
    Posts: 15610
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Portland, OR


  • ECB!!!!!!!!
    Image
    User avatar
    dunceface
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3456
    Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:29 am


  • Yakima Hawkster wrote:Colts GM wins.

    Of course he would, he took a team that purposely tanked a Season so the Colts would get Andrew Luck to replace FHOF P. Manning, so nothing the bullsh*t folks do anymore, surprises me in the least. :pukeface:
    :141847_bnono: Isn't it miraculous how the Colts turned it all around in just one Season? :141847_bnono: :pukeface:
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3758
    Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm


  • Here is the biggest irony of it all to me.

    Luck for Rookie of the Year argument -- he did it all himself. Didn't have any help. Such a great rookie - just crap around him rookies etc. RG3 and RW had much better personnel around him

    Ryan Grigson - Executive of the Year argument - Assembled such a great team. Managed to move so many pieces into one place and it wasn't about making the obvious number one pick it was about all those other great pieces coming together.......


    EDIT: Nevermind just saw that DavidSeven beat me to it and I agree!!!
    2014 inagural .net Survivor pool CHAMPION
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3697
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


  • JSeahawks wrote:Congratulations to the Colts GM for having the guts to make the most obvious move in the last 20 years of football.


    Take over for a team that gave up midway through last season in order to secure the draft status.. they tanked the season last year so the cupboard was not nearly as bare as many thought..
    _____________________

    Where can I find Seahawks98.com???
    User avatar
    Barthawk
    *Bacon Eating Crusader*
    *Bacon Eating Crusader*
     
    Posts: 2631
    Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:17 am
    Location: San Antonio, TX by way of Kalispell, MT


  • If you owned an NFL team and needed a GM, whowould you hire?
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3027
    Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:26 am


  • Why would you give an award for being Pete's lackey?

    The award for best guy to pick up Pete's dry cleaning, draft players Pete tells him to draft, sharpen Pete's pencils, Pick out flowers and a nice romantic card and some chocolates and sign Pete's name to the card and make dinner reservations for Pete's wife's birthday, oh and get her something sexy like some panties or something, I don't know what size she is, Jesus John should I get Idzik to do it.
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    User avatar
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *
     
    Posts: 3142
    Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:37 pm
    Location: Tri Cities, WA


  • Lol are you implying JS is just a glorified, overachieving secretary? If that's the case, then secretaries are criminally undervalued in the eyes of the media.
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 666
    Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:25 pm


  • Grigson getting the award, I can at least understand.

    But Elway finishing second to Schneider's distant third is too ridiculous for words. At least for words I can post here.
    SeahawkDreadlocks
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 76
    Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:31 am


  • Yeah, really tough to win with Peyton Manning, what a tough choice for Elway. And the Colts were so smart to pick that Luck guy, wow, what an amazing front office they have :roll:
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3090
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • He should just hand the trophy to Andrew Luck.
    Image

    “There’s no reason, with Mr. Allen and the fan base here and the stadium, that this can’t be a stable, long-term winning organization.” - John Schneider
    User avatar
    Bakergirl
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3302
    Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:13 pm
    Location: Seattle


Next


It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:22 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information