Is Stephen Williams the replacement for Mike Williams?

RylandTheHawk

Reaction score
John Schneider recently signed Stephen Williams to a two-year $1.2 million futures contract worth $555,000 in 2013 and $645,000 in 2014. The 6'5 Williams has large soft hands, catches the ball away from his chest, and grabs passes in traffic. He ran the 40 in 4.50 seconds. He’s a touchdown maker with the ability to use his body as a shield and high point the ball. However, he lacks the ability to gain separation from defenders, lacks top-end speed and does not stretch the field. He also does not get many yards after the catch.

Williams is a gifted athletic that flashes talent on film, but the Cardinals could find a niche for him on their team. The Seahawks are the perfect fit for this young man – look at how we highlighted the strengths of Mike Williams and minimized his weaknesses.

What do you think about this signing?

Link: Who Is Stephen Williams?

Link: A New Receiver - Seattle Times

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I think you are making a bigger deal out a guy the Cardinals cut December 14 than is really warranted.

OP
OP
R

RylandTheHawk

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight and you maybe right. The fact that Danny O'Neil wrote a whole article about the kid I think at least warrants a discussion about him.

Pstark3

Reaction score
Scottemojo":juio8xmg said:
I think you are making a bigger deal out a guy the Cardinals cut December 14 than is really warranted.
Theres your problem. Wilson, meet Williams. I think it will work.

sutz

Reaction score
Sounds like he could be a fit, all be it a project. But our WR corps is not such a mess that we don't have time to coach a kid like this up and ease him into the roster. Heck, we gave Tate 3 years (I was behind that BTW) to develop and look how he turned out this year. If this guy takes off faster, great.

As was pointed out above, our QB situation is much better than Arizona's has been the past few years. Any WR will have a better chance to succeed with a good QB throwing to him. This is the time of year when they start coming out of the woodwork, young guys looking for roster spots and a chance at the big show. Bring 'em on.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
You never know. They signed Doug Baldwin as a rookie FA and all he did in his rookie year was lead the team in recptions and yards.

You never know...but I still hope they draft a couple of WRs.

Always compete!

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
You know the saying, One man's trash is another man's treasure.

They found McQuisten and Giacomini and a similar way, adding them late in the season. That worked out pretty well.

drdiags

Reaction score
Does seem as though John Schneider has been circling the carcass for awhile. The praise this guy was getting from the Cardinals veterans has you wondering as well as the interest Seattle has had for him since 2010. I didn't think much of the Browner signing at the time and he turned out to fill a vital role with the team. I would imagine Mr Williams has a chance to make the squad as I am not sure Obo or Martin will.

The team has been trying to identify a big body receiver to complement the WR corp but Edwards and TO weren't the answer. Evan Moore as a #3 TE couldn't leverage his opportunity either. Only 5 more months before we start to find out.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
All I need to know is does JS and /or PC want him? If he is here they do. That's all I need.

Do they get it right all the time? No they don't but they get it right far more than anyone that I know of and that is the only criteria I go by now.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
What happened too Rocardo Locette?

Dont get too excited about players that have on the surface seam like good players but just dont have the pedigree or track record to make it in the NFL.

My neighbor is 6'5", big dude, looks like he can run but I am not under any misconceptions that he could get the job done at the NFL level.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Pstark3":12gns4gc said:
Scottemojo":12gns4gc said:

For comparison, which player would you rather us sign?

Player A: 71 rec, 798 yards, 4 TDs
Player B: 85 rec, 1,064 yards, 13 TDs

sutz

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":2qhdvp9q said:
Pstark3":2qhdvp9q said:
Scottemojo":2qhdvp9q said:

Bit of a trick question......in our offensive scheme 85/1000/13 is just about impossible due to lack of opportunity.

:)

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
May be a bit of a trick question, but it's still fairly valid. The comparison was Eric Decker catching passes from Peyton Manning vs. Larry Fitzgerald catching passes from Sclub-of-the-Month-Quarterback. I think that makes a difference, especially when one starts making suppositions of stats if the receivers were reversed.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":2xpvgyk2 said:
Pstark3":2xpvgyk2 said:
Scottemojo":2xpvgyk2 said:

Well, if Player B
I would rather have Fitz over Decker. Evan Moore was as big as Jimmy Graham, bit I would rather have the one who can clap without missing.

This Williams dude didn't get cut because Ryan Lindley sucks. Just like Evan Moore had one catch even though Wilson is awesome. This notion that great QBs can make d listers into good receivers has got to go.

sutz

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for continuing the search for another big WR that can catch and run. If this kid pans out, great. He's not costing much per the post above, so nothing ventured nothing gained. I expect a draft pick or two to go to this search this year anyway. And I know, the QB matters, a lot. It is not a reach that this guy would do better here just because of the better QB play than he got in AZ. I agree with that premise.

Meanwhile, our WR corps is not that bad off, as I said above. He'll have a challenge to win a roster spot, as Pete will ensure. Apparently we've been following him and waiting for the opportunity to sign him. Cool, let's get it on.

purpleworld

Reaction score
These are the flyers you hope can come through....would solve so many WR issues if he did!

CANHawk

Reaction score
It's all just a part of that bottom 1/3 roster churn that pete & john execute so well. If he's cream he'll rise to the top and if he's not; he'll get dumped with the rest of the crap and some new prospects will get poured in to go through the churn.

Always comPETE bitches.... Seattle is like SPARTA now.