Would bringing in a high-$ free agent mess w/chemistry?

pehawk

Reaction score
I remember the day Shawn Kemp said he'd NEVER wear a Supersonics uniform again. It was after Wally Walker gave an outrageous contract to Jim McClivane. IIRC, Kemp had been told for some time he'd be getting a new contract, and he took offense of the organization taking care of an outsider before himself.

I have to wonder if Seattle's kind of in the same boat.

Especially (and almost exclusively) defensively, they're alot of players playing under VERY modest rookie/UDFA contracts. And, there's a real sense of family between all of them. I have to wonder if a Revis, Avril, Dockett (for example) coming in with a hefty contract would subconsciously have players saying "umm, that aint right". Especially on a team which sucked, got better, and became a legit together.

SuperHawks

Reaction score
Good post. I've been thinking a lot about this exact scenario since the Revis rumors started up. I think it would, especially in the case of Revis. Sherman would not take kindly to that, I'm quite certain.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
SuperHawks":14m13lmx said:
Good post. I've been thinking a lot about this exact scenario since the Revis rumors started up. I think it would, especially in the case of Revis. Sherman would not take kindly to that, I'm quite certain.

And, Sherman would have a point, IMO.

kinesmajor

Reaction score
Yes and no. These players know under the CBA that they can do nothing about rookie contracts.

Ofcourse they all want more money. Don't we all? But what Seattle is paying free agents sets a precedent of what they are willing to pay once the contracts have been fulfilled

Now with Pete's open competition, no free agent will be able to come in with an attitude and expect to be the man. They will have to work hard and fit in or ride the bench/be cut real quick.

sutz

Reaction score
Posssibly, and you have to think that Schneid's philosphy of building from within through the draft would support not bringing in big-$ FAs.

IMHO, that part of the rebuilding process is pretty much behind us, and we're going to disappoint a lot of fans who want such signings this year and moving forward. The holes we do have in the roster don't really require that kind of move IAE. We're already a playoff caliber team, we can afford to draft and develop players now more so than in the past 3 years. The one big problem we have-pass rush, especially interior pass rush from DTs-I expect to see a classic Pete Carroll approach. Bring in 10-12 new guys on top of what we already have and let them fight it out. It wouldn't surprise me to see 15-20 D-linemen in camp this year. Yeah, I would not be surprised to see 20-25% of our pre-season roster dedicated to this.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Another reason I don't think these guys are serious about Revis.

I think this is where the Eagles really went all wrong with the all star team they assembled.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Now, I do think its not an issue on offense. But, they may not have to now. Titus Young can be had for peanuts.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kinesmajor":15z9pkmv said:
Yes and no. These players know under the CBA that they can do nothing about rookie contracts.

Ofcourse they all want more money. Don't we all? But what Seattle is paying free agents sets a precedent of what they are willing to pay once the contracts have been fulfilled

Now with Pete's open competition, no free agent will be able to come in with an attitude and expect to be the man. They will have to work hard and fit in or ride the bench/be cut real quick.
What you know and what you feel don't always match.

sutz

Reaction score
kinesmajor":1tpv18ia said:

Referencing your last statement there, it is exactly why big-$ FAs would avoid coming here. Under that philosophy, they won't get the big signing bonuses many will want. They may get roster bonuses, awarded if they make the team, but many/most will not sign those deals, and their agents won't like them either.

The whole P&J philosophy, as I read it, is to move away from FA moves and toward building through the draft. Not that they won't, but they will definitely do it smart, which means many FAs and their agents will shy away.

zayden185

Reaction score
I'd bring in the guy from New England for three years. Cu him after that.

Seller. Sorry that's who I meant...pay him and leave him. Any more than that at this point for him is bad money for his age I think. Work under neath and knows how to prepare for games week in and out...not a locker room cancer

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Pete would kick him to the curb if he didn't buy in to the philosophy - no matter how much we are paying him.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Do you think for one min that Russell Wilson will allow anyone on this team to not dial it up based on what someone else is getting paid?

This team has leadership. Not worried one bit.

sutz

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":2b4rwr9e said:
Pete would kick him to the curb if he didn't buy in to the philosophy - no matter how much we are paying him.
True, but he would walk with whatever signing bonus we gave him. That's a big deal to Schneid, for sure.

I'm afraid we're doomed to moderation in our FA activity going forward.

;)

Rat

Reaction score
I wouldn't compare this to basketball. On this team, a hypothetical free agent would be one of 52 players. This team is deep and young enough to be able to bring in a guy like that here and there. The Patriots have been doing it for years.

I'm not in favor of Revis anyway, but I'm thinking more of a guy like Osi Umenyiora. This team is a modest pass rush away from having a championship squad.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Rat":18sizcre said:
I wouldn't compare this to basketball. On this team, a hypothetical free agent would be one of 52 players. This team is deep and young enough to be able to bring in a guy like that here and there. The Patriots have been doing it for years.

I'm not in favor of Revis anyway, but I'm thinking more of a guy like Osi Umenyiora. This team is a modest pass rush away from having a championship squad.

Osi's cheap. You're smart enough to understand despite using the Supes an example.

Rat

Reaction score
pehawk":1nap215c said:
Rat":1nap215c said:

Osi's cheap. You're smart enough to understand despite using the Supes an example.
I disagree. Osi has been complaining about his contract for years and plays a premier position. He won't command Revis money, but he'll be far from cheap.

Dwayne Bowe is another example, if you like that one better. I'd have no problem bringing him in.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I think it only messes with chemistry if certain players feel they aren't getting enough respect/money. If you either pay those deserving players or at least make the promise you will when you can, with CBA restrictions in mind, than I don't think it would mess things up.

Now, there is a risk if this front office isn't 100% committed to those players who feel they deserve a pay raise (maybe Kam Chancellor?) We all saw what happened when Irvin was drafted. Clemons wanted a new contract and there was a chance he was going to hold out for 2012 if he wasn't paid. If we trade for Revis and give him a big contract, how does Chancellor feel if he doesn't get extended this offseason?

Now slightly different examples, but in both ways, each player was/is threatened with a new player addition. In Clemon's example, it was his position. In Chancellor's example, it's not having enough cap money to extend him this year.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Oh, I didn't know Osi's gonna get anything more than a 1-2 year deal. Do tell.

kearly

Reaction score
Yeah, Osi's not getting a long term contract. It was well known that Osi was available for trade the last couple years and nobody even tried seriously to get him. He turns 32 during the next NFL season. I'd be surprised if anyone offered him more than 2 years.

Latest posts