Drew Brees: "RW's talent level probably higher than mine."

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • "As far as just pure ability to throw the football, he’s got it. He’s a great athlete. He can make all kinds of plays with his legs – a lot more than I’ve ever been able to make. So I would say his talent level probably is a little higher than mine.” - New Orleans Saints QB Drew Brees on Russell Wilson

Brees then went that even one better, admitting that the season-long comparisons between himself and Wilson have been “very flattering.”

http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/a ... 5157d5d880
    Fox0r
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

• Very rarely will one QB make that comparison to a rookie! That says a lot about Drew Brees.
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Bigpumpkin wrote:Very rarely will one QB make that comparison to a rookie! That says a lot about Drew Brees.

And also about Russell Wilson!
    Fox0r
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

• This makes me smile. Coming from Drew Brees that's quite a compliment.

“There’s no reason, with Mr. Allen and the fan base here and the stadium, that this can’t be a stable, long-term winning organization.” - John Schneider
    Bakergirl
    NET Veteran

• The best part in all of this is knowing it's not just Seahawks fans HOPING Russell Wilson will be the quarterback we've waited for since the beginning of the franchise in 1976. Everybody KNOWS he is the real deal.

Les "The Radish" Norton - Ambassador/Grandfather of .NET, gone too soon but will never be forgotten. RIP
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Absolutely, I can see great things from Russell in the future. You guys got one hell of a steal by drafting him. People will always talk mad trash about his height, all he has to do is keep proving them wrong by making plays.

:th2thumbs:
    :les: Image :les:

pehawk wrote:I have a boner, right now, as I type this.
    IronSaint
    NET Starter

• Man, I have always liked Drew, this just makes me like him even more. If Russell can turn out to be anything close to how Drew was/is i would be one happy Hawks fan.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• IronSaint wrote:Absolutely, I can see great things from Russell in the future. You guys got one hell of a steal by drafting him. People will always talk mad trash about his height, all he has to do is keep proving them wrong by making plays.

Precisely, and that will always be the fuel to his fire that will guarantee continued personal and team success as long as Russell Wilson is our quarterback.

Les "The Radish" Norton - Ambassador/Grandfather of .NET, gone too soon but will never be forgotten. RIP
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Aros wrote:
    IronSaint wrote:Absolutely, I can see great things from Russell in the future. You guys got one hell of a steal by drafting him. People will always talk mad trash about his height, all he has to do is keep proving them wrong by making plays.

Precisely, and that will always be the fuel to his fire that will guarantee continued personal and team success as long as Russell Wilson is our quarterback.

Yeah, I hope they continue talking trash and underestimating him. Prove 'em all wrong, Dangeruss!
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

• Hmm...Brees is listed at 6'0", but it looks like they're the same height.
    truehawksfan
    NET Veteran

• I disagree with all the talk about his height will not cease. The more he wins in the NFL and the more awards he captures less and less of these fools will want to stick their necks out. Sure there will be the occasional knee jerk after a loss or if RW has bad game but as time goes by those idiots will shut up.
    " Living on Earth isn't cheap, but it does include a yearly free trip around the sun."
    v1rotv2
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• Blitzer88 wrote:Man, I have always liked Drew, this just makes me like him even more. If Russell can turn out to be anything close to how Drew was/is i would be one happy Hawks fan.

Yeah, I too have always liked Breese for his non-arrogance, and team first attitude.
    Wilson has a self assured aura about him, and it rubs off on his team mates.
    He exudes a quiet confidence in himself, and works his ass off to getting everyone on the same plane of thinking.
    Breese recognizes that something special in Wilson, just as Moon, Schneider, and Gruden does....Mad Respect right there Hawks fans. :th2thumbs:
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• Wow.. To have a guy like Drew Brees say something like that. It's comforting [for us fans] to say the least.

This is a big off-topic but: One thing I've noticed about Russell Wilson is the size of his hands. If you look at many of the great quarterbacks in NFL history, most of them had enormous hands. With that in mind, I heard one of the FOX commentators during a game late in the season mention that Russell Wilson has 'one of the' largest hands in the National Football League, with 10 1/4 inch hands. This is actually the biggest set of hands i've been able to find while Googling to find other NFL quarterbacks. Andrew Luck has 10 in, Kaepernick has 9 3/4, and most of the starting QB's I have actually found their combine measurements on were under 10 inches (if only a little under).

I know they measure the size of a QB prospect's hands at the combine and i'm not sure how big of a deal this is but it can't just be a coincidence. That pretty much every professional quarterback has this one trait in common, especially some of the best of all time. Having big hands simply means they can grip the ball better, right? You often see Wilson scrambling with one hand on the ball and he never drops it while scrambling, even with one hand on the ball.

Is this the only purpose for the hand measurements, or is there something i'm missing? Big hands = easier to throw tight spiral..?

Sorry if that's a weird question. It is just something I have always wondered..
    ~ The Stache'
    Zowert
    NET Veteran

• Aros wrote:The best part in all of this is knowing it's not just Seahawks fans HOPING Russell Wilson will be the quarterback we've waited for since the beginning of the franchise in 1976. Everybody KNOWS he is the real deal.

Wilson's very popular it seems around the NFL in general.

Type of guy that gets non-Seahawks fans wearing his jersey.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• Zowert wrote:Wow.. To have a guy like Drew Brees say something like that. It's comforting [for us fans] to say the least.

This is a big off-topic but: One thing I've noticed about Russell Wilson is the size of his hands. If you look at many of the great quarterbacks in NFL history, most of them had enormous hands. With that in mind, I heard one of the FOX commentators during a game late in the season mention that Russell Wilson has 'one of the' largest hands in the National Football League, with 10 1/4 inch hands. This is actually the biggest set of hands i've been able to find while Googling to find other NFL quarterbacks. Andrew Luck has 10 in, Kaepernick has 9 3/4, and most of the starting QB's I have actually found their combine measurements on were under 10 inches (if only a little under).

I know they measure the size of a QB prospect's hands at the combine and i'm not sure how big of a deal this is but it can't just be a coincidence. That pretty much every professional quarterback has this one trait in common, especially some of the best of all time. Having big hands simply means they can grip the ball better, right? You often see Wilson scrambling with one hand on the ball and he never drops it while scrambling, even with one hand on the ball.

Is this the only purpose for the hand measurements, or is there something i'm missing? Big hands = easier to throw tight spiral..?

Wow, that is a huge hand. My hand measures only 8" from thumb tip to pinky tip.

I found that Brett Favre's hands are 10 3/8"

Here are some other quarterback hand sizes: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6238 ... your-dealt

Ponder's hand size is 10 1/4"
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

• Interesting...Drew Brees and RW both have hands >10"...Kevin Kolb is 6'4" with a 9.25". Vick has 8.5" hands.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• You know what they say about dudes with big hands...
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• They have big noses?

In random news, I'm at the Olive Garden in Kirkland right now getting dinner before heading out to meet up with some friends, and a guy came in wearing a Russellmania t-shirt to pick up a take-out order; I complimented him on it. Russellmania - playing at theaters everywhere. :D
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Zowert wrote:Wow.. To have a guy like Drew Brees say something like that. It's comforting [for us fans] to say the least.

I think you're onto something. Maybe tall QBs are better not because they're taller but because taller people tend to have big hands. Chip Kelly seems to think so:

"lf the quarterback is not tall, look at his hands.
    That is the biggest coaching point to finding
    a quarterback. How big are his hands, and how
    well can he control the football? The height of
    the quarterback is not the important thing. No one
    playing quarterback throws over the line. They
    throw through lanes in the linemen. The important
    thing is the size of their hand"
    formido
    NET Starter

• formido wrote:
    Zowert wrote:Wow.. To have a guy like Drew Brees say something like that. It's comforting [for us fans] to say the least.

I think you're onto something. Maybe tall QBs are better not because they're taller but because taller people tend to have big hands. Chip Kelly seems to think so:

"lf the quarterback is not tall, look at his hands.
    That is the biggest coaching point to finding
    a quarterback. How big are his hands, and how
    well can he control the football? The height of
    the quarterback is not the important thing. No one
    playing quarterback throws over the line. They
    throw through lanes in the linemen. The important
    thing is the size of their hand"

That's the quote I was looking for. Thought it was a former RW coach at WI.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• I've always been a fan of drew Brees, really cool of him to say what a lot of us already feel about Wilson.
    Killa Kam
    NET Veteran

• That takes quite a bit of humbleness to say such a thing. Respect.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

• Drew Bree's - overrated he is to short to play in the NFL :)
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• Aros wrote:Precisely, and that will always be the fuel to his fire that will guarantee continued personal and team success as long as Russell Wilson is our quarterback.

The Outfield wrote:Yeah, I hope they continue talking trash and underestimating him. Prove 'em all wrong, Dangeruss!

Haha, absolutely guys. Only thing I'm jealous about it Wilson's wheels. Man that kid can go-go. LOL, Brees has a set of hidden wheels but they are rarely ever seen. He'll get like 1 yd. QB sneaks where he'' pop-up, stretch the ball over and tuck it back in and go down, but he's rarely every runs out the pocket. Don't get me wrong, I do love it gets him less beat up, but it'd be nice to have a real second option.

One play I do remember him running for a decent sized TD was against the Giants in 2011 on MNF. He really showcased the wheels on that play. LOL. :lol:

v1rotv2 wrote:I disagree with all the talk about his height will not cease. The more he wins in the NFL and the more awards he captures less and less of these fools will want to stick their necks out. Sure there will be the occasional knee jerk after a loss or if RW has bad game but as time goes by those idiots will shut up.

Ahh, I don't know man. I'd have to respectfully disagree. Even after all of Brees' countless records, accolades,wins, and a Super Bowl, they still are talking trash about Drew's height. :roll:

truehawksfan wrote:Hmm...Brees is listed at 6'0", but it looks like they're the same height.

Yeah, Drew's actually around 5'11" or so. Got to make it look good on the bio. ;)

Zebulon Dak wrote:You know what they say about dudes with big hands...

They wear big gloves right?

HEYYYY-OHHHHHHH! :mrgreen:
    :les: Image :les:

pehawk wrote:I have a boner, right now, as I type this.
    IronSaint
    NET Starter

• truehawksfan wrote:Hmm...Brees is listed at 6'0", but it looks like they're the same height.

That is because Drew is older and shrinking :D .
    Waterhawk1
    NET Rookie

• Zebulon Dak wrote:You know what they say about dudes with big hands...

LOL.....His wife is one very content lady...guess bigger is better!
    CDN_C_Hawk
    NET Bench Warmer

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:05 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information