Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 2012 Hawks, Eerily like the 1991 Cowboys.
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:56 am 
NET Rookie
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:10 pm
Posts: 240
People forget about him because he faded into obscurity after he left the Cowboys, but Alvin Harper was a very good receiver for those Cowboy teams. He was the one who got the single coverage and made plays.

That and that Cowboy offensive line was probably the best in history


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2012 Hawks, Eerily like the 1991 Cowboys.
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:31 am 
* NET Alumni *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:47 am
Posts: 3883
You brought up the player and explained him away in the same post. Harper was one of many who was Irvin's #2. He made a big statement about being a #1 receiver after his production in Dallas, and went where? Tampa or something? Wherever he went he fell off the map and wasn't half the player he was as a Cowboy. He was one of many that looked good because he played opposite Irvin. Then left and disappeared. He was just never the same. He should have given half that contract to Irvin for getting it for him. I think each one of those guys they ran out there just proved what a player Irvin really was.

_________________
Image
R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
1/12/39 - 8/7/08


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2012 Hawks, Eerily like the 1991 Cowboys.
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:57 pm 
NET Rookie
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:10 pm
Posts: 240
SharkHawk wrote:
You brought up the player and explained him away in the same post. Harper was one of many who was Irvin's #2. He made a big statement about being a #1 receiver after his production in Dallas, and went where? Tampa or something? Wherever he went he fell off the map and wasn't half the player he was as a Cowboy. He was one of many that looked good because he played opposite Irvin. Then left and disappeared. He was just never the same. He should have given half that contract to Irvin for getting it for him. I think each one of those guys they ran out there just proved what a player Irvin really was.


Not sure what you are trying to say, other than Irvin was really really good. Harper wasn't a Number 1, he proved that in Tampa. But those Cowboy teams had one great WR and really good WR as a #2. Just shows how strong that team was. I was just saying when people talk about how many offensive weapons that team had, they tend to forget Harper. Harper killed the Niners in the playoffs. Most likely because Irvin was double teamed, but still doesn't take away from his accomplishments.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2012 Hawks, Eerily like the 1991 Cowboys.
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:04 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:37 pm
Posts: 2539
NorCal wrote:
SharkHawk wrote:
You brought up the player and explained him away in the same post. Harper was one of many who was Irvin's #2. He made a big statement about being a #1 receiver after his production in Dallas, and went where? Tampa or something? Wherever he went he fell off the map and wasn't half the player he was as a Cowboy. He was one of many that looked good because he played opposite Irvin. Then left and disappeared. He was just never the same. He should have given half that contract to Irvin for getting it for him. I think each one of those guys they ran out there just proved what a player Irvin really was.


Not sure what you are trying to say, other than Irvin was really really good. Harper wasn't a Number 1, he proved that in Tampa. But those Cowboy teams had one great WR and really good WR as a #2. Just shows how strong that team was. I was just saying when people talk about how many offensive weapons that team had, they tend to forget Harper. Harper killed the Niners in the playoffs. Most likely because Irvin was double teamed, but still doesn't take away from his accomplishments.


NorCal Chicano, is that you?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2012 Hawks, Eerily like the 1991 Cowboys.
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:13 pm 
* NET Alumni *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:47 am
Posts: 3883
NorCal wrote:
SharkHawk wrote:
You brought up the player and explained him away in the same post. Harper was one of many who was Irvin's #2. He made a big statement about being a #1 receiver after his production in Dallas, and went where? Tampa or something? Wherever he went he fell off the map and wasn't half the player he was as a Cowboy. He was one of many that looked good because he played opposite Irvin. Then left and disappeared. He was just never the same. He should have given half that contract to Irvin for getting it for him. I think each one of those guys they ran out there just proved what a player Irvin really was.


Not sure what you are trying to say, other than Irvin was really really good. Harper wasn't a Number 1, he proved that in Tampa. But those Cowboy teams had one great WR and really good WR as a #2. Just shows how strong that team was. I was just saying when people talk about how many offensive weapons that team had, they tend to forget Harper. Harper killed the Niners in the playoffs. Most likely because Irvin was double teamed, but still doesn't take away from his accomplishments.


I don't see what you're missing. I think I was pretty clear. Harper wasn't that good. You say he was because he faced single coverage against the niners and beat up on them. Why did he? Because nobody could cover Irvin. And none of the receivers that played opposite Irvin were really that good. Their play without Irvin shows you that they weren't as good as they seemed on Dallas. I understand that #2 receivers frequently have improved stats and performances because of who is on the opposite side, but to me, the Cowboys receivers all really sucked, and that is a testament to how good Irvin was, because he made the guys who played with him look good every week. They weren't that good.

It is like saying Steve Kerr is a great shooting guard. Kerr was a good shooter. That's about the extent of it. He benefited from the fact that nobody ever bothered to guard the guy because everybody was guarding Jordan and Pippen. This of course led to a lot of open looks for Kerr. This isn't meant to devalue what he did, because he hit those wide open shots, just like Alvin Harper caught those balls that were thrown on a dime by Aikman when he was being covered by the worst defensive back on the team, because everybody else was trying to cover Irvin or tackle Smith.

So Harper had a great game or games against the Niners... I think that further proves the point I was trying to make. Irvin was a great receiver and he wasn't a guy that could make his own plays and he wasn't a star. He happened to play opposite one of the best receivers ever on a team that had a great receiving TE, a great running back, a great OL, and a pinpoint accurate QB. If you think that team wouldn't have done the things they did without Alvin Harper on the field then I have news for you.... you're wrong. He left and I didn't see a significant dropoff in that team or in Irvin's performance. Harper was a #2 guy playing opposite one of the best #1's ever. That's about all I have to say. You think differently. I disagree. To each their own.

_________________
Image
R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
1/12/39 - 8/7/08


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]



 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Seahawks.NET is an independent fan site and not associated with the Seattle Seahawks or the NFL (National Football League).
All content within this Seahawks fan page is provided by, and for, Seattle Seahawks fans. Copyright © Seahawks.NET.