#3 says his footwork is room to grow - what's that about?

seadoc

Reaction score
So the only source I can link to directly is real rob report week 12, but I know I heard Russell say it on at least one other occasion in the day or two following the game at ATL that specifically his footwork is an area he wants to grow in.

I don't know the nitty-gritty details of the game like a lot of you, so what might be missing w/ his footwork?

Axx

Reaction score
I thought his footwork at escaping pressure from blown blocks by JR Sweezy was pretty good, he got a nice spin move in the final drive.

chris98251

Reaction score
Probably his drops and setting feet to throw more consistently, to wide he may throw high, to close he may tip the nose of the ball down with a over motion. Just a speculative thought.

Sac

Reaction score
It probably has to do with his constantly very slight over throwing his receivers. He does it a lot. That's why you don't see a whole lot of YAC from receivers. It's just barely out of grasp so you see a lot of diving catches from pass catchers.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
I remember hearing/reading this too. Don't know when and where though

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":22yuqudq said:
It probably has to do with his constantly very slight over throwing his receivers. He does it a lot. That's why you don't see a whole lot of YAC from receivers. It's just barely out of grasp so you see a lot of diving catches from pass catchers.

That's a part of Wilson's game I hope he improves on. It's really the only negative in his game. He overthrows his receivers. Fortunately, he's still very accurate, and his only consistent bad misses are when he's throwing high and that has to do with a players mechanics which can be worked on.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
Agreed. This is the only glaring part of his game he hasn't mastered yet. Too many overthrows this year. I'm thinking he improves upon this just like he has every other aspect of his game.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
K, I' guess I'll be the first to say the dude is damn accurate, especially on deep throws.

No one completes them all. Saw the King of QBs himself, Tom Brady, overthrow a number of guys this past Sunday.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I read that this is the first offseason that Russell wont go directly into baseball practice? I also heard Tate mention that he and Russell were going to spend a lot of time working on timing throws this off season. I expect we will see less of the footwork overthrow problem next season.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2zqhu13a said:
K, I' guess I'll be the first to say the dude is damn accurate, especially on deep throws.

No one completes them all. Saw the King of QBs himself, Tom Brady, overthrow a number of guys this past Sunday.

I think he's accurate, too. But there were stretches - especially early in games - where his throws were seeming to go a little high. Not so high, usually, that they were uncatchable, but enough that receivers were having to make more leaping catches, reducing the chances for YAC.

And yeah, no one completes them all, but I'd bet that Wilson won't stop working on that area until he damn near does complete them all.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
"Footwork" is code for making more and faster reads from the pocket. Footwork is the key to scanning and checking your reads. good footwork means you are locked and loaded for the instant decision. For Wilson, getting happy feet when a read isn't visible has been an issue.

Watch Drew Brees and his feet. Or Manning. Both look like they are dancing back there. Seriously, bring up a highlight video and just watch their feet. The feet are coordinated with the eyes, so they are always squared for the throw.

Then bring up a video of Mike Glennon and watch his feet. And then you will know why he is going to suck in the NFL. Dude has concrete shoes.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
If he can improve from his paltry 64.1% completion percentage, then I'm all for it.
Mckayladisappointed

pehawk

Reaction score
Overthrows are ALWAYS mechanics. Every QB overthrows their targets when going from HS to NCAA, then NCAA to NFL. It's a speed of the game thing. Hass looked like he could work for the CIA with his overthrows (yes, that old joke).

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
pehawk":cmcar3as said:
Hass looked like he could work for the CIA with his overthrows (yes, that old joke).

Naw, Hasselbeck was a noodle arm that couldn't throw past 10 yards. I know this because I saw a bunch of people say it on this forum ad nauseum.

mrblitz

Reaction score
more often than not, hass underthrew the deep ball.

fortunately, that's not a problem with russell.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
mrblitz":28c4eanh said:
more often than not, hass underthrew the deep ball.

Name a game before Pete Carroll came to Seattle that there was even a deep throw play call in. Holmgren virtually NEVER did it. Ever. Then, look at the Saints playoff game, where we won because of the deep ball from Hasselbeck. I'm not saying he's a rocket arm or anything like that, but a lot of people seemed to have come to the conclusion that because we never tried to go deep, like EVER, under Holmgren that it was because Hasselbeck wasn't capable of it.

Also, Matt Ryan goes deep all the time and he has the highest rainbow arc passes on deep throws I've ever seen in the history of the NFL. I'm surprised he doesn't hit the rafters in the Georgia Dome on the really deep ones.