Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Guss
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:44 am 
*NET Poop Holster*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:07 pm
Posts: 310
Location: N. Seattle
jkitsune wrote:
While I don't really believe that it affected the outcome of this game, it does seem a bit odd to me that coaching vacancies are being interviewed for and filled during the playoffs. I suppose it makes sense that you'd want to fill the position as quickly as possible, and ideally well before free agency starts (as the lack of a head coach would obviously be a serious deterrant to players who want to know who their boss will be), but it does seem like an enormous potential distraction.


If it only made a 3 pt difference I for one am STEAMED!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guss
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:29 am 
* NET Radish *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:18 pm
Posts: 18016
Location: Spokane, Wa.
Trenchbroom wrote:
Mods, isn't there a way to prevent posters with less than 50 posts to start new threads?

HalG6 wrote:
...


Really dude? Ridiculous...



No but there is a serious move underfoot to prevent posters with 800 posts to not post in them.

:roll:

_________________
Image
The SuperB owl ladys have left the building with our thanks.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guss
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:21 am 
* Gangnameister *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:29 pm
Posts: 11100
Location: PoCompton, BC Canada
Oh newbies... They're like a crazy uncle spouting conspiracy theories at Thanksgiving dinner.

Can we try blaming the loss on lithium batteries, the communist agenda or BPA in the Gatorade bucket while we're at it..?

And while we're at it... Who's Guss? Sounds European.

_________________
I <3 Nunchucks


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guss
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:37 am 
NET Starter
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:39 am
Posts: 302
Location: Spokane, WA
It's doubtful that Gus' interview had an impact on the game, since they had a whole week to prepare.

I agree that there need to be a rule change where coaching vacancies shouldn't be filled until after the SuperBowl to give every coordinator an equal opportunity at the job.

And for those of you telling this guy to grow up, you grow up. He has his opinion, it's a team forum. If you have nothing good to add to the discussion but ragging on him, then go elsewhere

_________________
No autographs please


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guss
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:16 am 
* The Doc *
* The Doc *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:33 am
Posts: 8869
Location: Covington, Washington
The NFL cannot nor should not restrict coaching interviews until after the season is over. The reason is that the upcoming draft has to be evaluated with the coach's input as soon as possible. You have the Shrine game and Sr Bowl (plus that scam NFLPA game) that fall on the wrong side of the Superbowl. Sure, you have the regular bowl games where the coach in place may be fired soon afterwards. But the NFL scouts and coaches are at an arm's length, where these bowl games allows your team's personnel people an up and close interaction.

Just because your team is successful shouldn't restrict coaching staff to get an opportunity to move up. Teams have some control in allowing coaches under contract from interviewing. It has been done before, only to fire the coach the next year. I am sure that leads to a healthy interaction among the coaching staff.

Give it a rest is my suggestion.

_________________
Image
Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guss
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:33 am 
NET Bench Warmer
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:01 am
Posts: 31
drdiags wrote:
The NFL cannot nor should not restrict coaching interviews until after the season is over. The reason is that the upcoming draft has to be evaluated with the coach's input as soon as possible. You have the Shrine game and Sr Bowl (plus that scam NFLPA game) that fall on the wrong side of the Superbowl. Sure, you have the regular bowl games where the coach in place may be fired soon afterwards. But the NFL scouts and coaches are at an arm's length, where these bowl games allows your team's personnel people an up and close interaction.

Just because your team is successful shouldn't restrict coaching staff to get an opportunity to move up. Teams have some control in allowing coaches under contract from interviewing. It has been done before, only to fire the coach the next year. I am sure that leads to a healthy interaction among the coaching staff.

Give it a rest is my suggestion.


That's good input; question is about 'under contract' I guess with me. I am certainly looking forward to next years version of Hawks D under coach Quinn and I am beyond it- only to this extent.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guss
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:45 am 
* NET Shrink *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:04 pm
Posts: 1551
Location: Seattle, WA
Recon_Hawk wrote:
Funny how Gus interviewing before the game affected the run-defense in only the first half and the secondary only last 30 seconds.

Not both at the same time, but separate, seemingly random times in the game. Hmmm..yeah, makes sense. Must be the reason.



Maybe it was his gameplan. The sooner the season is over, the sooner he has a head coaching job. Problem with this argument is that those jobs weren't guaranteed - or were they?

Either way, smart players play smart and if Gus did try to sabotage (which I am not saying he did - this has been a theory tossed around about many coordinators-to-be-head-coaches), I'd expect our smart players, especially secondary, to step up - they did not (see Lions game, Dolphins game).


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guss
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:41 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:59 am
Posts: 2885
Jerhawk wrote:
I agree that there need to be a rule change where coaching vacancies shouldn't be filled until after the SuperBowl to give every coordinator an equal opportunity at the job.

Might I suggest that you do some research on this subject and come back and present the pros and cons of your suggestion.

The system in place today is considered the best solution because it balances the needs of the team looking to hire a HC with the desire of the Ass't. Coach to get an opportunity at a promotion... and as well, takes into account the needs of the team who currently has the Asst. Coach under contract.

It's not a perfect system but it pretty darn good at the balancing act.

_________________
EastCoastHawksFan posted... "Trading for Harvin is by far the worst move John S has ever made." (March 18, 2014)

Moved to Seattle in 1980. Hawks fan for 34 years and counting.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guss
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:49 pm 
*BRONZE SUPPORTER*
*BRONZE SUPPORTER*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:02 am
Posts: 755
Another factor that isn't mentioned here is that there are Important college scouting events happening during the playoffs. Most teams have coaches at these events which are crucial to evaluating players for the draft.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guss
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:38 am 
NET Starter
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:39 am
Posts: 302
Location: Spokane, WA
onanygivensunday wrote:
Jerhawk wrote:
I agree that there need to be a rule change where coaching vacancies shouldn't be filled until after the SuperBowl to give every coordinator an equal opportunity at the job.

Might I suggest that you do some research on this subject and come back and present the pros and cons of your suggestion.

The system in place today is considered the best solution because it balances the needs of the team looking to hire a HC with the desire of the Ass't. Coach to get an opportunity at a promotion... and as well, takes into account the needs of the team who currently has the Asst. Coach under contract.

It's not a perfect system but it pretty darn good at the balancing act.



http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1480316-it-benefits-mike-mccoy-gus-bradley-nfl-coordinators-to-lose-in-the-playoffs

This isn't a formal research report, this is an internet forum. But since you want research, I found a source for you. Written January 11th. If you read the above article, it states several examples of how coaches such as Chuck Pogano doesn't feel like he would've been hired as Colts coach if Baltimore wins the AFC Championship last year.

Also, with the headline of the article, how Gus Bradley and Mike McCoy get first dibs at head coacing vacancies since their teams were eliminated.

The system in place is flawed. For one, the lack of minority coaches, while it may not deal with this argument, is one problem. You claim that the system is good.

Coordinators who are on Superbowl teams right now won't get a shot at what would've been other coaching vacancies like the Cardinals or Chargers. If the 49ers were still playing, do you think it's possible that a team wouldn't want their defensive coordinator?

Also in the article, it points out that Bill O'Brian was hired by a college team while he was still O Coordinator of the Pats before the Superbowl last year.

While the BleacherReport isn't a great source, this shows that I'm not the only one who thinks that the system is flawed.

_________________
No autographs please


Last edited by Jerhawk on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guss
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:44 am 
NET Starter
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:39 am
Posts: 302
Location: Spokane, WA
Although, to your argument, it is up to the head coach whether or not to allow their coordinators/assts to go on the interview.

Back to the topic of this thread, would it have looked bad on Carroll then to not allow Gus to interview for head coaching vacancies? If this rule were changed for teams to wait until after the SuperBowl to interview coordinators and assts, then the head coach wouldn't feel responsible for keeping his coordinators from getting a coaching job at another team.

_________________
No autographs please


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guss
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:48 am 
NET Starter
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:39 am
Posts: 302
Location: Spokane, WA
FargoHawk wrote:
Another factor that isn't mentioned here is that there are Important college scouting events happening during the playoffs. Most teams have coaches at these events which are crucial to evaluating players for the draft.


The Senior Bowl is played on January 26th. Outside of this, what other major scouting events are there that occur during the playoffs?

The Scouting Combine isn't until the end of February. There's plenty of game tape of college prospects and scouts that have been with the team all season looking at who to draft. Pushing back the date to hire a head coach by a few weeks wouldn't interfere with these events.

_________________
No autographs please


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ] 

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AgentDib, Atradees, Google [Bot], hawksfan515, MichaelHawk70 and 64 guests

 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Seahawks.NET is an independent fan site and not associated with the Seattle Seahawks or the NFL (National Football League).
All content within this Seahawks fan page is provided by, and for, Seattle Seahawks fans. Copyright © Seahawks.NET.