Dynasty or Go For Broke?

JonRud

Reaction score
Purely hypothetical - do you prefer the Hawks continue on this path of young players, short term contracts for vets, continue to build talent, and be in the mix every year, or.......

say screw it - we want the Super Bowl next year so bring in some expensive vets [like a Tony Gonzalzez or whatever] to help win in 2013 even if it screws up the salary cap for years to come and we follow a Super Bowl win with a string of down years where we don't make the playoffs.

Forget about the details of the above - I am just asking a philosophical question.

For me - Just ONE Super Bowl win is so important that I would gladly take that even if the Hawks were bad for years to come after that. I do not care about the dynasty. After living & dying through 28 seasons, I just want ONCE for the Hawks to win the Lombardi. I would sell my soul for this if I could figure out how that works. Anyone know where I can find Joe Hardy or Mr. Applegate?

NYCoug

Reaction score
I want the Hawks to win BACK TO BACK and then I can die a happy man!

One would do just fine though, but I want to witness greatness!

To answer your question, I'd go with the dynasty approach. With that type of approach, you're bound to win at least one.

Dren

Reaction score
I say build a dynasty. When does going for broke ever work in the NFL? Also, what happens when you go for broke but things still don't pan out the way you planned them? Build a young nucleus, make something special out of the Seattle Seahawks franchise. Why throw away everything they've been working on for one shot, when you can possibly have multiple shots down the road. Instant gratification isn't always the most gratify thing.

Largent80

Reaction score
Tony Gonzalez couldn't get Atlanta to the SuperBowl, and in actuality I would rather have a good team every year that has the chance to go all the way rather than a 1 trick pony.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Go for broke doesn't work. That's what the Eagles tried to do the last two years and look where it got them. They have a system in place and with that system the team is obviously improving each and every year. Do I want them to shy away from big name free agents if its the right fit? No. However I don't want to see them go away from how the organization is being built because they say "we're so close we just need this one or two guys and we've got it." Nothing is guaranteed in the the NFL. There are too many questions with injuries in this league, so you can't afford to put all your eggs in one basket and hope they survive for that one glorious season. Too much risk.

Jiggy

Reaction score
We are so close that I think we just continue on the current path!

hawker84

Reaction score
current path, but some good solid vets would help out tremendously... we're right there..

drdiags

Reaction score
Build a sustainable model. Augment in a judicious way. Look at doing smart additions like the Patriots did with Dillon, Moss and Welker.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Dynasty. Especially now that we have a future HOF QB.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Dren":1wyz42en said:
I say build a dynasty. When does going for broke ever work in the NFL? Also, what happens when you go for broke but things still don't pan out the way you planned them? Build a young nucleus, make something special out of the Seattle Seahawks franchise. Why throw away everything they've been working on for one shot, when you can possibly have multiple shots down the road. Instant gratification isn't always the most gratify thing.

Outstanding post.

Ask Dan Snyder how often his FA spending sprees have bought him a championship.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":3i3isrdm said:
Go for broke doesn't work. That's what the Eagles tried to do the last two years and look where it got them.

End of discussion.

The Patriots model is the one to follow.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2igxkhc8 said:

No thanks, teams have caught up to the Patriots finesse up tempo Oregon gimmicky offense.......which is why they haven't won a SB since 2004. The AFC East has made the Pats appear better than they are. The fact is they get a six game head start on every other AFC team by having the Dolphins, Jets and Bills on their schedule every year, and it's been that way for a long time now.

I'd rather follow the Hawks/49'ers model. Big/athletic/fast/nasty D and ball control offense predicated on run game and dynamic QB play.

OP
OP
JonRud

JonRud

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. This thread didn't go in the direction I anticipated which is ok. I guess what I was trying to ask was which would you rather have if you could pick one:

1) Seahawks win the Super Bowl in 2013, followed by a string of mediocre seasons where they don't challenge for a SB.

or

2) Seahawks are great for the next 6-8 years, almost always in the playoffs, have a chance at the SB every year, but maybe never win one, or maybe win 2 or 3.

All I was trying to convene is that I just want a SINGLE Super Bowl Championship, then I can die happy. Just get me that one boys....

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1x2wr9ud said:
DavidSeven":1x2wr9ud said:

No thanks, teams have caught up to the Patriots finesse up tempo Oregon gimmicky offense.......which is why they haven't won a SB since 2004.

Uh, I'm not talking about copying their offense. I'm talking about their model of refusing to overpay for big-name FAs and consistently developing guys who fit their system.

And they haven't won a SB since 2004 because it's damn hard to win one. They've been contending for 12 years now.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
JonRud":2blca5sa said:
Thanks for all the replies. This thread didn't go in the direction I anticipated which is ok. I guess what I was trying to ask was which would you rather have if you could pick one:

1) Seahawks win the Super Bowl in 2013, followed by a string of mediocre seasons where they don't challenge for a SB.

or

2) Seahawks are great for the next 6-8 years, almost always in the playoffs, have a chance at the SB every year, but maybe never win one, or maybe win 2 or 3.

All I was trying to convene is that I just want a SINGLE Super Bowl Championship, then I can die happy. Just get me that one boys....

Option 2. Definitely option 2. I want our team to be one of the league's elite that is a legitimate SB team every single year for decades... not a flash-in-the-pan like the Bucs were.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2uhcjh06 said:
Sgt. Largent":2uhcjh06 said:
DavidSeven":2uhcjh06 said:

No thanks, teams have caught up to the Patriots finesse up tempo Oregon gimmicky offense.......which is why they haven't won a SB since 2004.

Uh, I'm not talking about copying their offense. I'm talking about their model of refusing to overpay for big-name FAs and consistently developing guys who fit their system.

And they haven't won a SB since 2004 because it's damn hard to win one. They've been contending for 12 years now.

Not being able to cheat by knowing the defensive calls hasn't helped them, either.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
DavidSeven":hkj4rkkv said:
Sgt. Largent":hkj4rkkv said:
DavidSeven":hkj4rkkv said:

I agree with your first sentence, but I still think they're overrated, and have been for a few years now. Put the Patriots in any other division and they'd be lucky to win 10-11 games........instead of their usual 13-14 in the awful AFC East.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
drdiags":2677an1d said:
Build a sustainable model. Augment in a judicious way. Look at doing smart additions like the Patriots did with Dillon, Moss and Welker.
As usual, our friend the good Doctor is spot on. Going for broke for a one year thing often backfires as has been mentioned several times in this thread. Do it right and you're in the mix every year and eventually you get one or two (please let it be God so I can die happy.....thank you).

Latest posts