On March 1 2008....and what we should learn from that day.

Veilside

Reaction score
"On March 1, 2008 (Justin Smith) signed a six-year, $45 million deal with the San Francisco 49ers. The deal included an $11 million signing bonus. In his first season with San Francisco, Smith registered 7 sacks, 73 tackles and one interception".

We need our own "Justin Smith" to unleash the potential of our own "Aldon Smith" (Irvin). Melton or Starks are the closest options. If we don't get one of them then we better spend that first rounder on a DT. This is by far our #1 priority in the offseason if we're gonna keep up with the 9ers and keep ahead of the Rams.

This is also imo the biggest reason to shed Flynn's cap space and get a cheaper backup.

Kelly.Orr

Reaction score
Good luck drafting a perennial pro bowler in the first round with this class. The only two real options that are out there will more than likely be getting picked very high.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Actually I think we have already surpassed the Niners and if not for starting a rookie we would be representing the NFC right now. Don't take this to mean starting Wilson was a mistake it's just inevitable to drop a couple games early like we did and we won't be doing it again next year.

That being said I agree we need improved play from our D-line but that isn't what gets us past it's what makes us unstoppable.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
RichNhansom":1y6ye8oy said:
Actually I think we have already surpassed the Niners and if not for starting a rookie we would be representing the NFC right now. Don't take this to mean starting Wilson was a mistake it's just inevitable to drop a couple games early like we did and we won't be doing it again next year.

That being said I agree we need improved play from our D-line but that isn't what gets us past it's what makes us unstoppable.

I thought you were going to say because we had to start the rookie Irvin over Clemons in the NFC divisional game. That I can see.

But not starting Wilson - I don't believe you to be correct at all.

Without a doubt, I do not believe that we would have been close to representing the NFC if Flynn or another veteran was playing. Your assumption lies in that the rest of the year would have been the same and only the first few games changed. That assumption I simply do not believe is correct. If you believe that Flynn goes into Chicago and wins - that is a major assumption. Even handling San Fran at home is no gimme. How about New England early in the year - or GB? Probably no wins there. Washington? Russell Wilson basically account for most of our offense. Atlanta - all of it.

But I digress to the point of this thread. Yes, as stated in many threads a pocket collapsing defensive tackle in the passing game is very important to our continued success.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Veilside":2ft9kxi1 said:
"On March 1, 2008 (Justin Smith) signed a six-year, $45 million deal with the San Francisco 49ers. The deal included an $11 million signing bonus. In his first season with San Francisco, Smith registered 7 sacks, 73 tackles and one interception".

We need our own "Justin Smith" to unleash the potential of our own "Aldon Smith" (Irvin). Melton or Starks are the closest options. If we don't get one of them then we better spend that first rounder on a DT. This is by far our #1 priority in the offseason if we're gonna keep up with the 9ers and keep ahead of the Rams.

This is also imo the biggest reason to shed Flynn's cap space and get a cheaper backup.
Agree with you 100%. This team also got gashed by opposing RBs up the middle starting with the game at SF and it never changed (an over the hill Michael Turner used our D in the divisional game). DT was this team's biggest weakness on defense IMO. Is Mebane overrated on these boards?

Axx

Reaction score
RichNhansom":gm1ocbg0 said:

But the early games "dropped", Miami, Detriot, And Atlanta were all on our defense (Gus Bradleys play calling)
and the divisional games, Rams and Arizona were all on the Wide Receivers for dropping some easy ones in those game. We cut those guys though.

The San Fran game was the only one Wilson did pretty bad but hey, its San Fransisco.

OP
OP
Veilside

Veilside

Reaction score
The main purpose of this thread was not just to say we need a pocket collapsing DT, but to show how vital Justin Smith has been to reviving that defense and how important that position really is (especially when you have a blooming situational pass rushing threat at DE). I worried more about the Rams game than I did about the 49ers game without Justin Smith. Just look at Aldon Smith after Justin got banged up.....oh I'm sorry, we can't see invisible people can we.

I'm not really up on DT salaries and I'm sure they have gone up since 2008, but would paying Henry Melton $40+ Million for 5 or 6 years be a good move to you? Would it be better to wait till another Justin Smith talent goes to FA and hope we can outbid for him? All I know is we need to add that piece to complete the defense, so we don't fall apart and lose leads in the last 30 seconds of games anymore.

What are people's best ideas of fixing this situation? Please don't mention better coaching, bad coaching decisions are going to happen to every team, and can be salvaged by better talent at key positions.

GoHawks

Reaction score
Melton may not even be an option, if Chicago places franchise tag on him? Starks would be a good stop-gap at less cost

amill87

Reaction score
Axx":3eosoyb3 said:
RichNhansom":3eosoyb3 said:

But the early games "dropped", Miami, Detriot, And Atlanta were all on our defense (Gus Bradleys play calling)
and the divisional games, Rams and Arizona were all on the Wide Receivers for dropping some easy ones in those game. We cut those guys though.

The San Fran game was the only one Wilson did pretty bad but hey, its San Fransisco.

The first couple weeks of the season, Wilson was not the same post week 8 Wilson that was pretty much unstoppable. If we had the same Wilson we ended the season with to start the season, I feel we could've seriously been 14-2. Save for a few big plays against NE, our offense was pretty bad the first 7 weeks.

It's why I feel so good about next year and don't really care about this year. We are better than the Niners simply because we have Wilson. Kaep may be better than I thought (still not 100% believing in him though and I think he may be in trouble next year when defenses catch up to his style of "I'm running it or throwing it deep") but Wilson may be on the verge of being a true top 5 QB.

kf3339

Reaction score
Veilside":3brecc89 said:
The main purpose of this thread was not just to say we need a pocket collapsing DT, but to show how vital Justin Smith has been to reviving that defense and how important that position really is (especially when you have a blooming situational pass rushing threat at DE). I worried more about the Rams game than I did about the 49ers game without Justin Smith. Just look at Aldon Smith after Justin got banged up.....oh I'm sorry, we can't see invisible people can we.

I'm not really up on DT salaries and I'm sure they have gone up since 2008, but would paying Henry Melton $40+ Million for 5 or 6 years be a good move to you? Would it be better to wait till another Justin Smith talent goes to FA and hope we can outbid for him? All I know is we need to add that piece to complete the defense, so we don't fall apart and lose leads in the last 30 seconds of games anymore.

What are people's best ideas of fixing this situation? Please don't mention better coaching, bad coaching decisions are going to happen to every team, and can be salvaged by better talent at key positions.

The thing is when you look at the 3tech players in the draft it just isnt' that impressive. You also have to assume that a rookie DT needs time to learn the position in the NFL and adjust to the speed and talent he will face each game.

This to me is why it is vital for us to make a serious move for either Melton or Starks this offseason. IF we have to spend more than we wanted, it should be done. We have several players (Branch, Jones) who have contracts finished. I believe they made together about $6-8M for this season. they both can see that there teams may not be close to a Super Bowl trip. So use that money and add in a trade of Flynn to get some extra money and grab one of them. You can even get Osi on a 1-2 year deal to come here. They all want to win a Super Bowl and see that we are right there!

kf3339

Reaction score
Veilside":3gz7ymye said:

I think you kinda answered your own question. Since we need a Justin Smith on our D-Line and the draft choices just don't impress me then Melton or Starks are the very best options. I truly hope that is JS and PC's thinking as well.

kf3339

Reaction score
GoHawks":298x8eqc said:
Melton may not even be an option, if Chicago places franchise tag on him? Starks would be a good stop-gap at less cost

I saw somewhere that Chicago has salary cap problems and may have to let some players go to get under the cap this offseason. If this is the case I doubt they have the luxury of using the franchise tag this year on a player that would have a very large number.

Latest posts