Where will Flynn play next year?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:11 pm
  • Smith is so good that his coach replaced him mid season for a completely unknown. Not a guy with a couple amazing performances. He went with the unknown based off extremely limited information and in the middle of a super bowl run. You seem to have forgotten that or even question why a coach would go with the less experience. It is a reason why I think others will view Smith similarly.

    You can call me fan boy but not without acknowledging that your just a hater. I'll take mine if you take yours.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3026
    Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:26 am


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:23 pm
  • RichNhansom wrote:Smith is so good that his coach replaced him mid season for a completely unknown. Not a guy with a couple amazing performances. He went with the unknown based off extremely limited information and in the middle of a super bowl run. You seem to have forgotten that or even question why a coach would go with the less experience. It is a reason why I think others will view Smith similarly.

    You can call me fan boy but not without acknowledging that your just a hater. I'll take mine if you take yours.


    Couldn't agree more. Smith certainly has a more expansive resume, but what does it really say.
    A team knows exactly what they are getting with Smith. A inconsistent, mediocre quarterback who hasn't done anything impressive.

    Flynn's mystery is definitely the issue, but that is exactly why I see him going to the Jaguars.
    If Gus Bradley does not see Flynn as a starting QB in the league, we could hang on to him knowing Flynn's market value is not worth moving him.
    If Gus Bradley does like him to start he will have no problem sending a 3rd round pick at the least.

    In Jacksonville, Flynn would have a decent set of weapons to work with in Jones-Drew, Blackmon, Shorts, and Bennett. With a little help on their offensive line I think it'd be rather fun to see what kind of success Flynn would have. This way, Bradley and Jacksonville could shift their attention on their biggest problem (defense).
    joeshaney
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 307
    Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:10 pm


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:25 pm
  • joeshaney wrote:Bradley's defense went up against Flynn in practice daily and he is sure to have and likely still have access to whatever evaluations of Flynn that are relevant. Does this mean that Bradley is a shoe in to be drooling over Flynn? No, but he will certainly have a solid basis for determining the guys value. Blaine Gabbert, on the other hand, is a worthless bum. Let's not get blinded by his draft status and recognize the in his many opportunities to produce hes proven himself to be a significantly worse option than even Henne.


    You are making assumptions in relationship to how the Jags view Gabbert. Is the owner willing to eat the investment or will he insist on giving Gabbert another chance, with competition from Henne or some mid-level veteran to provide competition? Not blinded to draft status but it isn't my money to totally write off the guy. Would Flynn want to leave one situation for another with no guarantees of starting? He doesn't have much say but he has some.

    Yep, the 1's vs the 1's was done quite a bit during the regular season practice but there were times Flynn practiced against the 1's on defense. Portis was here for awhile, running scout team against the 1's. Yep, Flynn's evaluation was available to Bradley. Does Bradley have enough info to make Flynn his first major acquisition and would Caldwell buy in?
    Image
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    User avatar
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *
     
    Posts: 9332
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:33 am
    Location: Covington, Washington


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:54 pm
  • drdiags wrote:
    joeshaney wrote:Bradley's defense went up against Flynn in practice daily and he is sure to have and likely still have access to whatever evaluations of Flynn that are relevant. Does this mean that Bradley is a shoe in to be drooling over Flynn? No, but he will certainly have a solid basis for determining the guys value. Blaine Gabbert, on the other hand, is a worthless bum. Let's not get blinded by his draft status and recognize the in his many opportunities to produce hes proven himself to be a significantly worse option than even Henne.


    You are making assumptions in relationship to how the Jags view Gabbert. Is the owner willing to eat the investment or will he insist on giving Gabbert another chance, with competition from Henne or some mid-level veteran to provide competition? Not blinded to draft status but it isn't my money to totally write off the guy. Would Flynn want to leave one situation for another with no guarantees of starting? He doesn't have much say but he has some.

    Yep, the 1's vs the 1's was done quite a bit during the regular season practice but there were times Flynn practiced against the 1's on defense. Portis was here for awhile, running scout team against the 1's. Yep, Flynn's evaluation was available to Bradley. Does Bradley have enough info to make Flynn his first major acquisition and would Caldwell buy in?


    I am definitely making an assumption that they are done with Gabbert. I am doing so for two reasons. One, Gabbert is dreadful. Two, after hiring a new coach you must allow him to operate the team the ways he sees will bring the team the most success. This I am thoroughly confident will not involve Blaine stinkin' Gabbert.

    However, though I am confident Gabbert is finished I am not assuming that Gus Bradley will make Flynn his starting quarterback. I am only suggesting that Bradley may or may not be interested. If he is interested it would certainly be because he sees Flynn as a starter (and thus worth decent trade value as staring qbs are the most valuable asset a team could have). If he is NOT interested than it provides strong indication that Flynn will not likely be viewed as anything more than a backup and therefore not be worth trading (as the return would be worth less than what we'd be losing - a solid backup).

    If there were some quality quarterback prospects in the draft the situation would be even more unclear. However, I don't see the Jaguars burning such a high pick on an unworthy QB out of desperation when there is much better value on defense. I am pretty confident that Bradley will be looking for defensive linemen and possibly secondary help early in the draft.

    This is merely my opinion and only worth as much the next guys.
    joeshaney
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 307
    Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:10 pm


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:56 pm
  • joeshaney wrote:
    RichNhansom wrote:Smith is so good that his coach replaced him mid season for a completely unknown. Not a guy with a couple amazing performances. He went with the unknown based off extremely limited information and in the middle of a super bowl run. You seem to have forgotten that or even question why a coach would go with the less experience. It is a reason why I think others will view Smith similarly.

    You can call me fan boy but not without acknowledging that your just a hater. I'll take mine if you take yours.


    Couldn't agree more. Smith certainly has a more expansive resume, but what does it really say.
    A team knows exactly what they are getting with Smith. A inconsistent, mediocre quarterback who hasn't done anything impressive.

    Flynn's mystery is definitely the issue, but that is exactly why I see him going to the Jaguars.
    If Gus Bradley does not see Flynn as a starting QB in the league, we could hang on to him knowing Flynn's market value is not worth moving him.
    If Gus Bradley does like him to start he will have no problem sending a 3rd round pick at the least.

    In Jacksonville, Flynn would have a decent set of weapons to work with in Jones-Drew, Blackmon, Shorts, and Bennett. With a little help on their offensive line I think it'd be rather fun to see what kind of success Flynn would have. This way, Bradley and Jacksonville could shift their attention on their biggest problem (defense).


    Some really good points, except this one, which is mixed:
    "A team knows exactly what they are getting with Smith. A inconsistent, mediocre quarterback who hasn't done anything impressive."

    It's a BAD CALL: New Orleans playoff game, last year, Alex Smith was the only reason the 49er's made it to the NFC Championship game, leading the team to 2 TDs in the last 2:11. Do you really think his performance in that game wasn't impressive? Smith led the 49ers to a 13-3 record, and home field advantage. Smith played well enough in the NFC championship game for SF to be in the Super Bowl. The only reason they weren't was Kyle Williams 2 lost fumbles on punts, including one with unbelievably bad timing, that gifted the game to the Giants. Smith played well enough to win against an ELITE Giants defense. Brady didn't have the greatest game against that defense in the Super Bowl...

    It's a GOOD CALL: Yeah, Smith sucked against the Giants in the NFC Championship game, 12-26, and just not putting enough points on the board. It would have been impressive if Smith had lit them up for 300 yards and SF gotten a win by 2 TDs.

    Bottom line, Flynn and Smith are both above-average NFL starting QBs. If I'm a GM looking for a QB that can get my team to the playoffs, it's almost a tossup. I like Flynn better as a pocket passer, think he's better at reading defenses, and running an up-tempo, no-huddle type of offense. (So maybe Chip Kelly in Philly will be interested). On the other hand, I like Smith's mobility, athleticism, and escapability a little better, and maybe with more continuity with the same coordinator, Smith can become more consistent as a passer. I also have to think Smith will be that much hungrier, willing to work hard, put in the study, having been cast aside. On the downside, if Harbaugh didn't buy into Smith, what is it that Harbaugh knows about Smith? The same stuff that Harbaugh knew about Sherman? (In which case Smith becomes the obvious choice) or is Harbaugh correct in his assessment of Smith's "limitations"? Anyway, as a GM of an also-ran who needs a QB, I probably go for Flynn over Smith by just a tiny margin, but I'm happy if I can get either one.
    User avatar
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 709
    Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:03 am


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:00 pm
  • joeshaney wrote:
    This is merely my opinion and only worth as much the next guys.



    Same here. Not assuming I am correct, just discussing various angles. Not saying you are wrong, just responding to you after you raised some questions/counter points about my post. I have no stake in this discussion. Just thinking out loud.
    Image
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    User avatar
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *
     
    Posts: 9332
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:33 am
    Location: Covington, Washington


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:06 pm
  • RichNhansom wrote:Smith is so good that his coach replaced him mid season for a completely unknown. Not a guy with a couple amazing performances. He went with the unknown based off extremely limited information and in the middle of a super bowl run. You seem to have forgotten that or even question why a coach would go with the less experience. It is a reason why I think others will view Smith similarly.

    You can call me fan boy but not without acknowledging that your just a hater. I'll take mine if you take yours.


    http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/ ... ssion.html

    Smith had a concussion and wasn't cleared to play, man. He was out for two weeks, and Kaepernick came in and played really well, giving the 49ers offense an element it didn't have with Smith. Harbaugh chose to stick with the new guy (or the "hot hand" or whatever you want to call it), and he got a lot of flack over it - especially after the subpar performance Kaepernick put on against the Seahawks.

    Quit trying to paint it like Smith was being ineffective and just got pulled for Kaepernick.
    Image

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    User avatar
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8198
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:20 am
    Location: Right outside Richard Sherman's house


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:11 pm
  • drdiags wrote:
    joeshaney wrote:
    This is merely my opinion and only worth as much the next guys.



    Same here. Not assuming I am correct, just discussing various angles. Not saying you are wrong, just responding to you after you raised some questions/counter points about my post. I have no stake in this discussion. Just thinking out loud.


    Good conversation friend.
    It is quite likely Flynn isn't traded at all. If so, I just cant see a better fit than with the Jags.
    Alex Smith, on the other hand, is extremely difficult to imagine with the 9ers and all of their cap issues next year.

    He would also be a goo fit in Jacksonville and who Bradley targets should provide some conclusion to who the better option is.
    joeshaney
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 307
    Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:10 pm


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:16 pm
  • volsunghawk wrote:
    RichNhansom wrote:Smith is so good that his coach replaced him mid season for a completely unknown. Not a guy with a couple amazing performances. He went with the unknown based off extremely limited information and in the middle of a super bowl run. You seem to have forgotten that or even question why a coach would go with the less experience. It is a reason why I think others will view Smith similarly.

    You can call me fan boy but not without acknowledging that your just a hater. I'll take mine if you take yours.


    http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/ ... ssion.html

    Smith had a concussion and wasn't cleared to play, man. He was out for two weeks, and Kaepernick came in and played really well, giving the 49ers offense an element it didn't have with Smith. Harbaugh chose to stick with the new guy (or the "hot hand" or whatever you want to call it), and he got a lot of flack over it - especially after the subpar performance Kaepernick put on against the Seahawks.

    Quit trying to paint it like Smith was being ineffective and just got pulled for Kaepernick.

    By the same logic Flynn got signed to a pretty decent contract but got REPLACED PRESEASON BY A COMPLETE UNKNOWN.

    If someone is trading for Smith or Flynn, I don't think they're thinking they're getting a franchise QB in return, so set your expectations for the price accordingly. Further, Smith is still far more proven. Hold his early seasons against him, fine, but he also quarterbacked a 13-3 team last year and even singlehandedly won a playoff game. People are overrating Flynn and underrating every other available QB whether that be by FA, trade, or the draft class, I assume because it supports their desire to get some kind of killer deal for Flynn.
    User avatar
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2836
    Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:47 pm
    Location: Seattle


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:24 pm
  • Joeshaney, I don't know that we will get a third, I think that is on the high side because there are to many variables surrounding the position?. I did a wright up on page two about some of thr variables. I do believe if we were capable of getting anything for Jackson then trading Flynn should be no problem. I just don't know how much he will actually garner.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3026
    Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:26 am


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:33 pm
  • RichNhansom wrote:Joeshaney, I don't know that we will get a third, I think that is on the high side because there are to many variables surrounding the position?. I did a wright up on page two about some of thr variables. I do believe if we were capable of getting anything for Jackson then trading Flynn should be no problem. I just don't know how much he will actually garner.


    I understand your logic and unless some team views him as a starter you are right on.
    My feeling, however, is that if all we can get is a late round pick for Flynn he will be staying put. The only purpose for trading away a player like Flynn is to make the team better. If there isn't a trade that makes the team better than there will be no trade occurring.

    Therefore, I believe that Flynn will be either in Seattle next year or traded to the Jags for a 3rd round pick and possibly an additional depth player or late round pick.
    joeshaney
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 307
    Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:10 pm


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:35 pm
  • joeshaney wrote:
    RichNhansom wrote:Joeshaney, I don't know that we will get a third, I think that is on the high side because there are to many variables surrounding the position?. I did a wright up on page two about some of thr variables. I do believe if we were capable of getting anything for Jackson then trading Flynn should be no problem. I just don't know how much he will actually garner.


    I understand your logic and unless some team views him as a starter you are right on.
    My feeling, however, is that if all we can get is a late round pick for Flynn he will be staying put. The only purpose for trading away a player like Flynn is to make the team better. If there isn't a trade that makes the team better than there will be no trade occurring.

    Therefore, I believe that Flynn will be either in Seattle next year or traded to the Jags for a 3rd round pick and possibly an additional depth player or late round pick.

    Uh, cap space, that makes the team better. Gives us more wiggle room to sign a FA who might actually start for this team and room to extend our young guys who are all going to be looking for a payday in the coming years.

    If the best they can get for Flynn is a 6th, I'd be shocked if they passed.
    User avatar
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2836
    Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:47 pm
    Location: Seattle


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:35 pm
  • joeshaney wrote:
    RichNhansom wrote:Joeshaney, I don't know that we will get a third, I think that is on the high side because there are to many variables surrounding the position?. I did a wright up on page two about some of thr variables. I do believe if we were capable of getting anything for Jackson then trading Flynn should be no problem. I just don't know how much he will actually garner.


    I understand your logic and unless some team views him as a starter you are right on.
    My feeling, however, is that if all we can get is a late round pick for Flynn he will be staying put. The only purpose for trading away a player like Flynn is to make the team better. If there isn't a trade that makes the team better than there will be no trade occurring.

    Therefore, I believe that Flynn will be either in Seattle next year or traded to the Jags for a 3rd round pick and possibly an additional depth player or late round pick.


    I have to agree with Pink here. We could use his cap space for a starter and letting Flynn go after a starter position is the right thing to do so if the best case were even a 6th I would think they would grab it and move on.

    I would love to have Flynn as our backup if he is willing to be that but I get the feeling he is to competitive to want to stay a backup. I think Flynn views himself as a starter and a disgruntled back up is not a good thing.

    I wouldn't mind bringing in someone like Seneca Wallace who would be much less expensive and could run the wild cat. It would be a bonus that he would probably relish being a back up for us also.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3026
    Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:26 am


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:27 pm
  • volsunghawk wrote:
    RichNhansom wrote:Smith is so good that his coach replaced him mid season for a completely unknown. Not a guy with a couple amazing performances. He went with the unknown based off extremely limited information and in the middle of a super bowl run. You seem to have forgotten that or even question why a coach would go with the less experience. It is a reason why I think others will view Smith similarly.

    You can call me fan boy but not without acknowledging that your just a hater. I'll take mine if you take yours.


    http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/ ... ssion.html

    Smith had a concussion and wasn't cleared to play, man. He was out for two weeks, and Kaepernick came in and played really well, giving the 49ers offense an element it didn't have with Smith. Harbaugh chose to stick with the new guy (or the "hot hand" or whatever you want to call it), and he got a lot of flack over it - especially after the subpar performance Kaepernick put on against the Seahawks.

    Quit trying to paint it like Smith was being ineffective and just got pulled for Kaepernick.


    I know Smith had a concussion and Kaep played well in his first game but right after that first game is when Harbaugh said he would go with the hot hand and Smith was cleared to play the following week. That doesn't change that Harbaugh in the middle of a super bowl run decided to go with the guy who had shown less than Flynn at that point. That should tell you everything you need to know about the views of a 7 year veteran QB even playing his best football still was less enticing than the complete unknown who only had one game under his belt at the time and it wasn't as good as Flynn's best game statistically or by the eyeball test.

    Why are you trying to make an argument for the experienced player but ignoring his own coach benched him even when he was playing his best football in favor of the unknown? How do you ignore that there was more known about Flynn than Kaepernick at the same time? There is no way to justify the belief that Flynn hasn't proved anything yet Kaepernick had. Either it is that or Harbaugh didn't believe Smith was a better option than an unknown. Fact is Harbaugh never gave Smith another chance. He chose the unknow with potentail and I think smart GM's will see it that way as well. I honestly don't know how you can ignore it.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3026
    Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:26 am


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:46 pm
  • pinksheets wrote:
    joeshaney wrote:
    RichNhansom wrote:Joeshaney, I don't know that we will get a third, I think that is on the high side because there are to many variables surrounding the position?. I did a wright up on page two about some of thr variables. I do believe if we were capable of getting anything for Jackson then trading Flynn should be no problem. I just don't know how much he will actually garner.


    I understand your logic and unless some team views him as a starter you are right on.
    My feeling, however, is that if all we can get is a late round pick for Flynn he will be staying put. The only purpose for trading away a player like Flynn is to make the team better. If there isn't a trade that makes the team better than there will be no trade occurring.

    Therefore, I believe that Flynn will be either in Seattle next year or traded to the Jags for a 3rd round pick and possibly an additional depth player or late round pick.

    Uh, cap space, that makes the team better. Gives us more wiggle room to sign a FA who might actually start for this team and room to extend our young guys who are all going to be looking for a payday in the coming years.

    If the best they can get for Flynn is a 6th, I'd be shocked if they passed.


    Cap space is not an issue for the Seahawks...at all.
    joeshaney
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 307
    Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:10 pm


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:16 pm
  • joeshaney wrote:Cap space is not an issue for the Seahawks...at all.

    I don't think you know what you're talking about.

    Right now Clayton projects them to have $18m in cap space next year. Sounds like a decent amount, right? It is, but they've got to worry about whether or not to bring back Branch or Jason Jones or to look in FA to perhaps address the pass rush. Then we add the rookies. Whatever we have left in cap space after that.....can be carried over into the next year. Our young players will soon be up for new deals and if we want to keep as many of them as we can, we're going to need to save every penny we can and try to rollover as much cap as we can. Saving a few million by moving Flynn would be a big deal.

    This isn't about being against the cap next year, it's about planning ahead for the next few years when guys like Kam Chancellor, KJ Wright, Richard Sherman and the other important pieces that are making like $500-$700k a year start looking for a bit more.
    User avatar
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2836
    Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:47 pm
    Location: Seattle


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:46 pm
  • RichNhansom wrote:
    volsunghawk wrote:
    RichNhansom wrote:Smith is so good that his coach replaced him mid season for a completely unknown. Not a guy with a couple amazing performances. He went with the unknown based off extremely limited information and in the middle of a super bowl run. You seem to have forgotten that or even question why a coach would go with the less experience. It is a reason why I think others will view Smith similarly.

    You can call me fan boy but not without acknowledging that your just a hater. I'll take mine if you take yours.


    http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/ ... ssion.html

    Smith had a concussion and wasn't cleared to play, man. He was out for two weeks, and Kaepernick came in and played really well, giving the 49ers offense an element it didn't have with Smith. Harbaugh chose to stick with the new guy (or the "hot hand" or whatever you want to call it), and he got a lot of flack over it - especially after the subpar performance Kaepernick put on against the Seahawks.

    Quit trying to paint it like Smith was being ineffective and just got pulled for Kaepernick.


    I know Smith had a concussion and Kaep played well in his first game but right after that first game is when Harbaugh said he would go with the hot hand and Smith was cleared to play the following week. That doesn't change that Harbaugh in the middle of a super bowl run decided to go with the guy who had shown less than Flynn at that point. That should tell you everything you need to know about the views of a 7 year veteran QB even playing his best football still was less enticing than the complete unknown who only had one game under his belt at the time and it wasn't as good as Flynn's best game statistically or by the eyeball test.

    Why are you trying to make an argument for the experienced player but ignoring his own coach benched him even when he was playing his best football in favor of the unknown? How do you ignore that there was more known about Flynn than Kaepernick at the same time? There is no way to justify the belief that Flynn hasn't proved anything yet Kaepernick had. Either it is that or Harbaugh didn't believe Smith was a better option than an unknown. Fact is Harbaugh never gave Smith another chance. He chose the unknow with potentail and I think smart GM's will see it that way as well. I honestly don't know how you can ignore it.


    No, that's not accurate. Harbaugh didn't pick Kaepernick "right after that first game." Smith was injured early in the Rams tie, and Kaepernick played well in the remainder of the game. He also played well in the Chicago and New Orleans games after that, and it wasn't until then that Smith was cleared. Kaepernick was playing just about as well as Smith had, and he was doing so with much less experience. And here's the biggest point... Kaepernick was doing it with the exact same team. Kaepernick didn't put up his two and a half games of evidence with some offensive juggernaut in another division and then come into the 49ers lineup.

    So, in the end, what Harbaugh saw was his more athletically gifted backup QB playing as well as his starter, and doing so for a far smaller contract. That made Smith expendable, as long as Kaepernick proved he could continue the very good production he'd been generating. It wasn't about Smith sucking... it was about Kaepernick excelling on the cheap. That should sound familiar to you. Flynn didn't lose out on the Seahawks starting job because he sucked... he lost it because Wilson was better (and it does help that Wilson is cheaper, too).

    When it comes to potential trades and teams are faced with the prospect of going for Smith or Flynn, they're not going to be looking at two vastly different QBs as far as talent or ability goes. Both guys seem smart, team-oriented, affable, and capable. Neither of them seem like guys who would inspire their team to follow them to the gates of Hell or anything, but they seem like they could lead without tripping over their own junk at the very least. That said, if the money is similar and the compensation in trade is similar, I guarantee you that most if not all NFL front offices will go with the guy with more experience every time - unless there is a talent gap, age gap, or injury history gap that forces them to do otherwise. And there's no way you will convince me that's the case between Smith and Flynn.
    Image

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    User avatar
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8198
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:20 am
    Location: Right outside Richard Sherman's house


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:18 am
  • SEATTLE!!
    hawksman53
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 814
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 11:27 pm


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:57 am
  • Personally I think Flynn will fetch more than a 4th round pick precisely because his contract is so reasonable.

    If you knew you knew you were getting a top notch backup QB what would that be worth?

    What is a starting QB worth?

    What would a QB be worth that was supposed to be a starter but lost out to...Russell Freaking Wilson...

    Is that starting QB still worth more than a backup? I'd think so.

    Is that starting QB will worth more than Matt Cassell? I'd think so there too.

    In fact, I'd say Matt Flynn will go on to have a better career than Cassell, Schaub, Sanchez, Gabbert, Vince Young, Jake Locker, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Kevin Kolb and any mediocre QB you could throw out there. Flynn is a starter. Starters are worth something.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    User avatar
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator
     
    Posts: 10382
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:51 pm
    Location: With a white girl


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:02 am
  • I think the likely best case scenario right now is probably to trade Flynn to a team drafting early and swap picks in the 2nd round. That's pretty much what I'm hoping for.
    User avatar
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1285
    Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:12 pm


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:50 am
  • pinksheets wrote:
    joeshaney wrote:Cap space is not an issue for the Seahawks...at all.

    I don't think you know what you're talking about.

    Right now Clayton projects them to have $18m in cap space next year. Sounds like a decent amount, right? It is, but they've got to worry about whether or not to bring back Branch or Jason Jones or to look in FA to perhaps address the pass rush. Then we add the rookies. Whatever we have left in cap space after that.....can be carried over into the next year. Our young players will soon be up for new deals and if we want to keep as many of them as we can, we're going to need to save every penny we can and try to rollover as much cap as we can. Saving a few million by moving Flynn would be a big deal.

    This isn't about being against the cap next year, it's about planning ahead for the next few years when guys like Kam Chancellor, KJ Wright, Richard Sherman and the other important pieces that are making like $500-$700k a year start looking for a bit more.


    I don't think you know what your talking about.....
    The Seahawks cap position is among the best in the NFL. You can poster free agency how ever you see fit, but they are still in a very, very good position. Duh, of course we can hope they have plans on making acquisitions. Nonetheless, to assume they will be excited to throw away a quality backup quarterback for a 6th round pick is flat out retarded. Particularly in a year when we already are slated to have 10 picks as is.

    To think that the Seahawks front office are at some conflict with there payroll due to Matt Flynn's contract is silly.....
    joeshaney
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 307
    Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:10 pm


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:59 am
  • I would also mention that the Arizona Cardinals were approximately 1 point something million dollars OVER the salary cap at the same time they were courting Peyton Manning.
    joeshaney
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 307
    Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:10 pm


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:09 am
  • I never said there was some big conflict on payroll. The reason the Seahawks have so much capspace is.....say it with me...rollover! The more we rollover from one year, the more we have the next, which we're going to need in the next couple of years. So saving money by not overpaying a backup quarterback is a sound move when it means you might have a few extra million to play with when it comes to re-signing Chancellor, Sherman, Wright, etc. Flynn is not worth what we pay him for what he brings to the team, at all, it's not a good value and we can better use those resources, period. Finding a team that wants to pay him $7 million next year will be a bit of a challenge, which is why a later round pick might be something we're lucky to secure.
    User avatar
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2836
    Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:47 pm
    Location: Seattle


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:35 am
  • All of you saying we will be lucky to get a 6th for Flynn. As yourself this question honestly - you also said that our FO couldn't get ANYTHING for Tarvaris Jackson, right? Right!?!

    IMHO, if we trade Flynn, it won't be for anything less than a 3rd round pick.
    "I want to drink Ranier Beer out of a mug made from Jim harbaugh's hollowed out skull." CANHAWK
    User avatar
    sam1313
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 1817
    Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:56 pm
    Location: Las Vegas, Nevada


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:37 am
  • sam1313 wrote:All of you saying we will be lucky to get a 6th for Flynn. As yourself this question honestly - you also said that our FO couldn't get ANYTHING for Tarvaris Jackson, right? Right!?!

    IMHO, if we trade Flynn, it won't be for anything less than a 3rd round pick.


    I don't think we'd be "lucky" to get a 6th for Flynn. I think that would be a little low.

    I think a 4th or 5th is definitely reasonable, and that we'd be lucky to get a 3rd. We'd be incredibly lucky to get a 2nd, and I'd hope that JS jumped at the chance immediately if any team offered that (even the Cardinals).
    Image

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    User avatar
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8198
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:20 am
    Location: Right outside Richard Sherman's house


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:41 am
  • joeshaney wrote:
    pinksheets wrote:
    joeseahawks wrote:Jaguars are getting Tebow.
    Cardinals are getting Mike Glennon from NC State
    KC is going to get Flynn. We better get one of their studs.

    Uh, why?

    Andy Reid rips people off with backup QBs, not the other way around. He's not going to give up an elite player for Matt freaking Flynn.


    I agree with you, however, it sounds like you are undervaluing Flynn.
    The guys a good, starting caliber quarterback. I don't expect us to get a first round pick or likely even a second. Nonetheless, for any of you who think he won't be targeted by teams in need of a qb, you are blinded by Russell Wilson's success.

    Matt Flynn is a good QB plain and simple. He's not a worthless asset as some of you seem to assume. He will either be in Seattle next year or net us something of value.


    Since the whole Kevin Kolb trade, I would think FOs are being a little more cautious when it comes to dealing for backup QBs.
    Status: Active lieutenant in the 12th Man Army
    User avatar
    12thMan1
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 723
    Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:19 am


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:43 am
  • volsunghawk wrote:
    sam1313 wrote:All of you saying we will be lucky to get a 6th for Flynn. As yourself this question honestly - you also said that our FO couldn't get ANYTHING for Tarvaris Jackson, right? Right!?!

    IMHO, if we trade Flynn, it won't be for anything less than a 3rd round pick.


    I don't think we'd be "lucky" to get a 6th for Flynn. I think that would be a little low.

    I think a 4th or 5th is definitely reasonable, and that we'd be lucky to get a 3rd. We'd be incredibly lucky to get a 2nd, and I'd hope that JS jumped at the chance immediately if any team offered that (even the Cardinals).


    I'm a lot more hesitant to give the Cardinals anything than you are. With Flynn they may have made the playoffs this year. They were tough enough defensively as it was, with Flynn they could be really difficult to deal with.

    To behonest,I wouldn't be surprised to get something even better than a second for Flynn, but it all starts with the Jags. If they show a lot of interest, I think it ups Flynn's price tage significantly.
    "I want to drink Ranier Beer out of a mug made from Jim harbaugh's hollowed out skull." CANHAWK
    User avatar
    sam1313
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 1817
    Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:56 pm
    Location: Las Vegas, Nevada


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:56 am
  • sam1313 wrote:
    volsunghawk wrote:
    sam1313 wrote:All of you saying we will be lucky to get a 6th for Flynn. As yourself this question honestly - you also said that our FO couldn't get ANYTHING for Tarvaris Jackson, right? Right!?!

    IMHO, if we trade Flynn, it won't be for anything less than a 3rd round pick.


    I don't think we'd be "lucky" to get a 6th for Flynn. I think that would be a little low.

    I think a 4th or 5th is definitely reasonable, and that we'd be lucky to get a 3rd. We'd be incredibly lucky to get a 2nd, and I'd hope that JS jumped at the chance immediately if any team offered that (even the Cardinals).


    I'm a lot more hesitant to give the Cardinals anything than you are. With Flynn they may have made the playoffs this year. They were tough enough defensively as it was, with Flynn they could be really difficult to deal with.

    To behonest,I wouldn't be surprised to get something even better than a second for Flynn, but it all starts with the Jags. If they show a lot of interest, I think it ups Flynn's price tage significantly.


    I don't think Flynn would have improved the team that much. Even when they had Kolb in (who I think is probably on par with Flynn), he wasn't performing impressively. Their early winning streak was all about the D.

    I'd be absolutely shocked if anyone - seriously, ANY team in the entire NFL - offered more than a 2nd for Flynn. I'd be really surprised at a 2nd and can't envision any scenario where a team offers more than that.
    Image

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    User avatar
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8198
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:20 am
    Location: Right outside Richard Sherman's house


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:08 am
  • volsunghawk wrote:
    I'd be absolutely shocked if anyone - seriously, ANY team in the entire NFL - offered more than a 2nd for Flynn. I'd be really surprised at a 2nd and can't envision any scenario where a team offers more than that.


    I think Pete and John would jump at a 2nd. It's when you get into a 3rd or 4th round pick only territory that I think they'd keep Flynn.

    I do think there are 4-5 teams that'd give up a 2nd for Flynn. His salary is perfect for taking a risk on bringing him into places like Philly, Jacksonville, Oakland, KC, Buffalo (if they cut Fitzpatrick), etc.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3474
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:46 am
  • pinksheets wrote:I never said there was some big conflict on payroll. The reason the Seahawks have so much capspace is.....say it with me...rollover! The more we rollover from one year, the more we have the next, which we're going to need in the next couple of years. So saving money by not overpaying a backup quarterback is a sound move when it means you might have a few extra million to play with when it comes to re-signing Chancellor, Sherman, Wright, etc. Flynn is not worth what we pay him for what he brings to the team, at all, it's not a good value and we can better use those resources, period. Finding a team that wants to pay him $7 million next year will be a bit of a challenge, which is why a later round pick might be something we're lucky to secure.


    Im not worried about clearing a billion dollars of cap space for the purpose of "rollover". Lets at the very least wait until after our cap situation becomes hampered before we decide that rolling over 20 million dollars is going to help us.
    joeshaney
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 307
    Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:10 pm


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:57 am
  • [/quote]
    Uh, why?

    Andy Reid rips people off with backup QBs, not the other way around. He's not going to give up an elite player for Matt freaking Flynn.[/quote]

    I agree with you, however, it sounds like you are undervaluing Flynn.
    The guys a good, starting caliber quarterback. I don't expect us to get a first round pick or likely even a second. Nonetheless, for any of you who think he won't be targeted by teams in need of a qb, you are blinded by Russell Wilson's success.

    Matt Flynn is a good QB plain and simple. He's not a worthless asset as some of you seem to assume. He will either be in Seattle next year or net us something of value.[/quote]

    Since the whole Kevin Kolb trade, I would think FOs are being a little more cautious when it comes to dealing for backup QBs.[/quote]

    I agree....this is why I don't believe we will land a probowl player in addition to a second round pick.
    A simple 3rd and a depth player would be a more realistic bargain.
    joeshaney
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 307
    Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:10 pm


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:00 pm
  • Given the way the Hawks have been drafting, I'd almost hope for as many picks as possible, screw the round. Schneider can get 'em late just as well as he can get 'em early.
    HawkGA
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1873
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 12:29 pm


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:02 pm
  • 3rd, 4th, or 5th rounder and PC/JS jump at it and send him packing..... 6th and I think they have to think about it.

    Im guessing they get a 5th for him. If some team sends a 4th to the hawks we are blessed and take that pick to the bank laughing.
    P-Rich fo life
    User avatar
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2550
    Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:14 am


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:27 pm
  • joeshaney wrote:
    pinksheets wrote:I never said there was some big conflict on payroll. The reason the Seahawks have so much capspace is.....say it with me...rollover! The more we rollover from one year, the more we have the next, which we're going to need in the next couple of years. So saving money by not overpaying a backup quarterback is a sound move when it means you might have a few extra million to play with when it comes to re-signing Chancellor, Sherman, Wright, etc. Flynn is not worth what we pay him for what he brings to the team, at all, it's not a good value and we can better use those resources, period. Finding a team that wants to pay him $7 million next year will be a bit of a challenge, which is why a later round pick might be something we're lucky to secure.


    Im not worried about clearing a billion dollars of cap space for the purpose of "rollover". Lets at the very least wait until after our cap situation becomes hampered before we decide that rolling over 20 million dollars is going to help us.

    That's how horrible front offices think, not ours.

    "Let's not worry about making cap moves until we're dangerously limited by the salary cap."

    Great strategy.

    We're not going to roll over $20 million, the $18 mill we're starting with will get spent in a variety of ways, maybe not fully, but adding another $3 or $4m (which I think is what we alleviate with Flynn in terms of cap space) might not sound like a lot, but it could very well be a difference maker next year.
    User avatar
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2836
    Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:47 pm
    Location: Seattle


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:22 pm
  • pinksheets wrote:
    joeshaney wrote:
    pinksheets wrote:I never said there was some big conflict on payroll. The reason the Seahawks have so much capspace is.....say it with me...rollover! The more we rollover from one year, the more we have the next, which we're going to need in the next couple of years. So saving money by not overpaying a backup quarterback is a sound move when it means you might have a few extra million to play with when it comes to re-signing Chancellor, Sherman, Wright, etc. Flynn is not worth what we pay him for what he brings to the team, at all, it's not a good value and we can better use those resources, period. Finding a team that wants to pay him $7 million next year will be a bit of a challenge, which is why a later round pick might be something we're lucky to secure.


    Im not worried about clearing a billion dollars of cap space for the purpose of "rollover". Lets at the very least wait until after our cap situation becomes hampered before we decide that rolling over 20 million dollars is going to help us.

    That's how horrible front offices think, not ours.

    "Let's not worry about making cap moves until we're dangerously limited by the salary cap."

    Great strategy.

    We're not going to roll over $20 million, the $18 mill we're starting with will get spent in a variety of ways, maybe not fully, but adding another $3 or $4m (which I think is what we alleviate with Flynn in terms of cap space) might not sound like a lot, but it could very well be a difference maker next year.


    You are not understanding what I meant. Nobody wants us to be "dangerously limited by the salary cap" silly.

    I understand that horrible front offices maintain strategies to be "dangerously limited by the salary cap". Take the 49ers for example.....Wait a minute....

    The point is were not going to spend money just to spend money. At the same time, unless it makes the team better (which in a draft where we are already overloaded with picks, a 6th round pick and the subtraction of a quality backup qb will not) there is no reason to salary dump.

    Now, it is quite possible that Seattle finds a replacement for Flynn and needs his salary cap number off there books in order to complete free agent acquisitions. I don't personally see them spending much money this offseason, but even if they wanted to there is no point in speculation.

    Simply, at there current cap position there is no stress to unload Flynn's contract for an additional 6th round pick in a year they don't need more picks. Certainly, this could change through the extension of Kam Chancellor and the signing of a big free agent target (for example). Until that happens, however, Flynn is a good player to keep around unless you bring back value that is worth more than the crap Tarvaris Jackson netted us that some of you are so keen to believe is a worthy move to exile Flynn.
    joeshaney
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 307
    Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:10 pm


Next


It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:44 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online