Where will Flynn play next year?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:29 am
  • Not sure how much Bradley knows about Matt being a good QB. He wasn't in the QB room with him so assuming he knows a lot about Flynn or has a good relationship with him is just conjecture. Maybe the defensive coaches got a chance to go against him in scrimmages or walk through but I think if it was Bevell in Jacksonville you could make a stronger case that he was intimate with Flynn.

    I think he and Alex Smith would be a couple of names getting play this off-season but how hot the market is hasn't been determined yet. The 8 teams with new HCs and 5 new GMs have to get their plans together and the remaining 24 could contain some interested parties as well. I am not sure who is going to be looking. Jets look like a cap issue with dropping Sanchez. KC with Reid is a wildcard. Eagles and Kelly is yet another unknown. Are the Jags completely done with Gabbert or will the new regime consider him fixable? Cards, doubt it. Is there a starter in trouble like Freeman?
    Image
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    User avatar
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *
     
    Posts: 9212
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:33 am
    Location: Covington, Washington


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:35 am
  • SeaTown81 wrote:"You're undervaluing Flynn!"

    "No, you're overvaluing him!"

    "Shut up!"

    "No, you shut up!"

    I think it's hilarious how this argument has morphed over the last year. I most definitely side with those who say certain fans are massively overvaluing Flynn. And I really don't think too many are saying he's a bum. Just overly sensitive folks taking "he's not amazing" comments way too harsh.

    I disagree that any team trading for him is going to do so because they think he's amazing and the man. We acquired him last year while at the same time drafting a rookie that we liked a lot with a decently high pick. I could most certainly see another team do the same. Acquire Flynn as a low risk starter for the interim while also drafting a rookie with a 2nd or 3rd rounder to develop. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see that happen.


    Here's the thing. Your right. Teams may be interested in doing just what you say. The Seahawks, however, will not be interested in trading with such teams and would just as well hang on to him. The only benefit to trading him would be to get in return a higher value to our team than Flynn currently provides. In other words Flynn remains in Seattle unless some teams values him as a starter. Its certainly possible that no team will. If a team does value Flynn as a starter, however, why would they have a hesitation moving a 3rd round pick in order to fill the most important position on their team.

    Example, though surely not the best one..... Charlie Whitehirst. The guy a project qb and look what we were willing to give for him. Hindsight is 20-20 and we way overpaid for this guy, but the point remains particularly if a team sees Flynn as a starter.

    Once again, if no team does than he stays put.
    I think there will be teams calling but we shall see.
    joeshaney
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 307
    Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:10 pm


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:45 am
  • [quote="drdiags"]Not sure how much Bradley knows about Matt being a good QB. He wasn't in the QB room with him so assuming he knows a lot about Flynn or has a good relationship with him is just conjecture. Maybe the defensive coaches got a chance to go against him in scrimmages or walk through but I think if it was Bevell in Jacksonville you could make a stronger case that he was intimate with Flynn.

    I think he and Alex Smith would be a couple of names getting play this off-season but how hot the market is hasn't been determined yet. The 8 teams with new HCs and 5 new GMs have to get their plans together and the remaining 24 could contain some interested parties as well. I am not sure who is going to be looking. Jets look like a cap issue with dropping Sanchez. KC with Reid is a wildcard. Eagles and Kelly is yet another unknown. Are the Jags completely done with Gabbert or will the new regime consider him fixale? Cards, doubt it. Is there a starter in trouble like Fr

    Bradley's defense went up against Flynn in practice daily and he is sure to have and likely still have access to whatever evaluations of Flynn that are relevant. Does this mean that Bradley is a shoe in to be drooling over Flynn? No, but he will certainly have a solid basis for determining the guys value. Blaine Gabbert, on the other hand, is a worthless bum. Let's not get blinded by his draft status and recognize the in his many opportunities to produce hes proven himself to be a significantly worse option than even Henne.
    joeshaney
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 307
    Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:10 pm


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:45 am
  • I to believe Flynn is the best FA option this off season and there is definitely a much better market for his services but I still don't know how hot a commodity he will be, there are just to many factors that come into it.

    KC seems like a very logical location but they have the #1 overall pick and I believe they will take Barkley. Now do they expect him to come in and start immediately? I don't know and even if they don't are they going to pony up draft picks for Flynn who would be seen as a stop gap QB while Barkley learns. Even if they like the idea of Flynn, how much is it worth for a stop gap? I could definitely see KC sticking with Cassell for a couple of reasons. Reid has had much success developing QB's and he might think he can still get the most out of Cassell. They may just want to open up a competition between Cassell and Barkley. A new coach is also going to want as much draft ammo as possible so they very well could avoid sending picks away even if they think Flynn is superior. Reid will have several years before he is expected to make that a top shelf franchise so while I am sure he would love to win now, if he had Barkley in the wings he likely would not feel a severe amount of pressure.

    Jacksonville is another can of worms with Gabbert but is it to soon to give up on him? With the second overall pick and a QB needy team, I think Geno Smith lands there and then you are asking some of the same questions as KC. Not to mention if they decide to go away from Gabert, that puts another QB into the FA equation.

    What I could see happening is the Jags and Seahawks play a little negotiations game (even if they are not really interested) to try and create/drive up a market for Flynn.

    Raiders are heavily invested in Palmer and while you and I think he sucks (sorry DramaHawk) he still puts up huge numbers and often shows flashes of elite potential (and then he brain farts for another pick six of course) so will the Raiders move on? Maybe they could see a competition between Palmer and Flynn but that means giving up picks to a team that has squandered for to many and appears to be changing there philosophy about draft picks. I would be surprised if they went away from Palmer unless they want to put him on the market and then again you have more FA competition.

    Philly? Uhm maybe but who knows. It makes sense they will move away from Vick but again that is another FA QB. They can't be completely disappointed in Foles but I could see a potential market for a QB competition between Flynn and Foles.

    Cleveland? Weeden hasn't been a complete bust but could definitely see the possibility of an upgrade. He is going to be 29 (if not already) so bringing in another 28 year old would be kind of odd. They have to be thinking going young makes more sense but where do they find young? It's a possibility but again I don't see a high priority.

    Arizona really seems to me like it could be a very good fit but would we trade him to a division rival? I think Flynn would be a huge upgrade over Kolb as he has all the attributes Kolb has but is much better at getting the ball out quickly and IMO is much better at reading defenses. It would be a heavy investment for AZ but with the 7th pick in the draft unless they pay through the nose to move up, the QB options are pretty slim pickens. When you consider Kolb's injury history and Fitzgerald's age I could see them making a push for Flynn and that is where the Jacksonville trade talks could really help out.

    Buffalo is definitely a possibility but we just fleeced them for a draft pick for Tarvaris Jackson and he didn't even show enough to be activated for a single game last year. We also fleeced them a couple years prior for Lynch. I would think they would become a little Leary of dealing with Pete and John but who knows, it is Buffalo after all.

    NY Jets? Uhg, who knows what that team will do. They are strapped pretty heavily to Sanchez but they definitely need to make a move however they are still getting over the burn of Tebow so they may want to be careful. I do think Flynn would be a huge upgrade over Dirty Sanchez but I don't know if the Jets are ready to jump back into the high profile life of the NFL QB market. The bright side is that Ryan maybe feeling pressure to do something and they don't have a ton of other options. Bringing in Flynn to compete with Sanchez could be as low profile a move as they could make and if Flynn performs the way I believe he would, Ryan would look like the franchise hero. Although Ryan would be under scrutiny for bringing in any QB to compete as he just failed miserably at just that last year.

    Vikings? Maybe but IMO unlikely. To early to move on from Ponder who reminds me alot of Palmer in his ability to look great one minute and completely shit the bed the next. Flynn with AP though would put them right on the map and in the the thick of NFL talks but they did make the playoffs this year so they may already believe they are there. Do they see Ponder as part of the problem? If not then they should. He is easily upgraded and IMO would benefit from some time on the bench watch a QB that can actually read defenses and distribute the ball properly.

    I think the entire NFL knows how in love Pete and John were with Wilson and with how he performed this year I think they understand why so I doubt anyone (with half a brain) is looking at Flynn and saying he must suck to lose to a short third round rookie. I also think GM's are smart enough to look beyond the preseason stats and see why Flynn's numbers looked so poor. In reality what you wanted to see from Flynn was would his ability to process the game be diminished without all the weapons he had in GB and what you seen him do in preseason was make good throws all over the field, including some very clutch perfectly thrown third down conversions and potential TD's if not for the worst collective performance ever put on but an NFL receiver crew. He showed he could step into a new system and acclimate nearly immediately and that his skill set is in fact transferable. It was obvious his ability to read defenses was on par with quality NFL caliber QB's and he proved to anyone with a question that his arm strength myth was exactly that, a myth. He showed excellent pocket presence and good speed when he did scramble along with very good awareness of his surroundings.

    I think some believe in GB all Flynn had to do was take the snap, step back and throw it and his receivers would do the rest but even in a statistically poor preseason he showed he was much more to blame for the success of the GB offense than some want to give him credit for and in fact if paired up with a decent team could likely be the difference of being a playoff team or a pretender.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3015
    Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:26 am


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:49 am
  • Seattle.
    Image

    R.I.P. Brother Les, I'll always know you as Pithy Radish.
    User avatar
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 23543
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:38 pm
    Location: NFL WORLD CHAMPIONS 2013-2014


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:00 am
  • Maybe the Jets, they just got our cap guy as there new GM. Maybe they'll give us Wilkerson for him
    User avatar
    getnasty
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 904
    Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:22 pm


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:17 am
  • Left End
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    of Seattle's bench.

    :)
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

    SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    User avatar
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 10144
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:41 am
    Location: Monroe, WA


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:20 am
  • Mthete are not any first round qbs IMO. Surely a desperate team will reach, butcall me crazy. Matt Flynn w8th Jones drew, blackman, shorts, and Lewis could work well. Bradley will build the defense through the draft.
    joeshaney
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 307
    Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:10 pm


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:29 am
  • since Flynn seems to be an ok guy in the locker room, even though he didn't win the starting QB position with the Hawks, there is every chance he stays a Hawk,...the Hawks will move him if they get a decent offer, but he's not being a troubled malcontent, so he may well remain here,...
    User avatar
    Hamhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2080
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 2:05 pm
    Location: Kenmore WA


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:52 am
  • Largent80 wrote:Seattle.



    I'm with you here Rob, and only plays sparingly or when we need to win a coin toss.

    BTW it seems moves like that are Pete's trying to involve Flynn with the team whereever he can. A good idea.

    :les:
    Image
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    User avatar
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *
     
    Posts: 18655
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:18 pm
    Location: Spokane, Wa.


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:00 am
  • I'd like Flynn here, but I'd love to bundle him up with our 1st and maybe something more to get the Jag's 1st.
    User avatar
    MysterMatt
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 6851
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:12 am


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:02 am
  • I think Flynn had conditional round pick written all over him. I doubt any team at the top of the draft will be interested as they can draft a QB. I think the most likely scenario may see him traded after the draft so whichever team wasn't able to satisfactorily get it's QB (and depending on Seattle's ability to get a new backup).

    Two things are going to screw the Seahawks and Flynn over though - Alex Smith's availability and the fact that I doubt Seattle with trade him to Arizona.
    HawkGA
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1852
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 12:29 pm


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:06 am
  • Largent80 wrote:Seattle.


    bingo
    Remembering rookies will play like rookies, since 2012.
    User avatar
    JerHawk81
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1460
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:13 am
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:49 am
  • RichNhansom wrote:I to believe Flynn is the best FA option this off season and there is definitely a much better market for his services but I still don't know how hot a commodity he will be, there are just to many factors that come into it.


    First off, Flynn isn't a FA option for teams. It would require a trade for a team to acquire him, or he'd have to be cut for teams to be able to bring him in and offer him a deal. And Flynn's not even the best TRADE option this offseason. Not with Alex Smith eating up even more cap room in SF than Flynn's taking up in Seattle.

    What's more, Smith is a more attractive option for teams because he's got much more starting experience than Flynn. His 2011/2012 season numbers (over the course of 25 games) will be far more attractive to teams than Flynn's 2 starts from 2010/2011. Smith racked up a 64% completion percentage, 4881 yards, 30 TDs, and 10 INTs over that stretch. And he's the same age as Flynn. Smith looks the part of a franchise QB (even if it's just a game manager type of QB) far more than Flynn does right now.
    Image

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    User avatar
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8037
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:20 am
    Location: Right outside Richard Sherman's house


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:16 am
  • Volsung covered all the bases here. The only thing I'll say is this - next year there are quite a few QB needy teams and not a whole lot in the way of great looking draft QB prospects. KC and Jax are almost certainly going QB in the draft. The Jets need a QB, The Bills might be in the market. The Cards need a QB, don't be surprised to see Dallas test the waters, maybe even Philly. Cleveland is another possiblity. Even oakland.

    Point is, a LOT of teams will be looking at upgrading at QB next season, and that makes it a sellers market. i think we trade Flynn, but I think a 3rd rounder is probably the most we could realistically hope for, and even that is a bit on the high side. I think PC and JS would jump at a 4th to dump Flynn's salary.
    Rzzzzz...
    User avatar
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *
     
    Posts: 10843
    Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
    Location: Helm's Deep


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:13 am
  • But Volungshawk which Alex Smith are you going to get because there is alot more poor stats on him than good. If my GM expects those good numbers without the best O-line in football, Crabtree, Davis, Gore and a defense that allows you to be patient, I want my GM fired. Ignore all the stats and ask if he passes the eyeball test.

    Again I disagree with you about Smith and Flynn and I am willing to make a sig bet if you like that Flynn will dramatically out perform Alex Smith next year and the reason I believe that is we have seen Smith perform poorly but even in a new system woth all new team mates we have yet to see Flynn play as poorly as Smith has the majority of his career.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3015
    Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:26 am


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:16 am
  • RichNhansom wrote:But Volungshawk which Alex Smith are you going to get because there is alot more poor stats on him than good. If my GM expects those good numbers without the best O-line in football, Crabtree, Davis, Gore and a defense that allows you to be patient, I want my GM fired. Ignore all the stats and ask if he passes the eyeball test.

    Again I disagree with you about Smith and Flynn and I am willing to make a sig bet if you like that Flynn will dramatically out perform Alex Smith next year and the reason I believe that is we have seen Smith perform poorly but even in a new system woth all new team mates we have yet to see Flynn play as poorly as Smith has the majority of his career.


    You've missed the point. Volsung is talking about perceived value to other teams. every team in the NFL would give up more for Alex Smith than they would for Matt Flynn. It's an indisputable fact. Doesn't matter who will perform better next season as a starter.
    Rzzzzz...
    User avatar
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *
     
    Posts: 10843
    Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
    Location: Helm's Deep


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:25 am
  • RichNhansom wrote:But Volungshawk which Alex Smith are you going to get because there is alot more poor stats on him than good. If my GM expects those good numbers without the best O-line in football, Crabtree, Davis, Gore and a defense that allows you to be patient, I want my GM fired. Ignore all the stats and ask if he passes the eyeball test.

    Again I disagree with you about Smith and Flynn and I am willing to make a sig bet if you like that Flynn will dramatically out perform Alex Smith next year and the reason I believe that is we have seen Smith perform poorly but even in a new system woth all new team mates we have yet to see Flynn play as poorly as Smith has the majority of his career.


    That's because in a new system, we have yet to see Flynn play at all, really. You don't judge stats based on preseason and mop up duty.

    I know we got in a pretty fun habit here of bashing Alex Smith, but the fact of the matter is that he has a winning record against us as a starter and he's put up some pretty good performances against us. He's not a scrub QB.

    And remember how earlier this week many of us were concerned about Bevell leaving because we felt it would be good for Wilson's continued development to keep the same OC? Smith had a different OC every single year in his first 7 years, and had to readjust to multiple different systems as a result. Once there was some consistency in the coaching staff, Smith played pretty damn well.

    And you can talk about how Smith's stats were only reflective of a great O-line and Davis/Crabtree, but you have to apply that same caveat to Flynn's TWO performances in Green Bay. Sure, really nice games playing with an offensive cast that ranked in the top 10 in points scored and in yards gained every single season from 2007-2011. That wasn't all just Favre/Rodgers. It's the system and all the offensive pieces in it. Flynn benefited from that just as much as Smith benefited from anything he had in SF, if not more.
    Image

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    User avatar
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8037
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:20 am
    Location: Right outside Richard Sherman's house


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:17 am
  • I guess we'll agree to disagree. I think you can look at the preseason games and easily extrapolate expected results based on all the throws, defensive reads, speed of getting the ball out and adjusting for horrific timing of key drops. Only if you discredit Flynn for receiver drops can you grade him poorly but the ball in 90+% was put were not only it should have been caught but was placed in a leading position that positively impacts YAC.

    I honestly believe Flynn has better value than Smith and I would be surprised if the Niners will garner as much as Seattle will for each. Neither are UFA's and they're contracts are not hat dissimilar so we will see how things play out. I know I would be worried about my FO if they viewed Smith as viable starter and how each gets treated as far as traded or released as well as how each performs next year is my exact point.

    If I am playing GM and need a QB to start for me next year, I am willing to invest more for Flynn than Smith. There are plenty of dumb GM's out there or we wouldn't have got anything for Jackson but I think the smart ones will actually look at the performances rather than the stats and will see more potential in Flynn.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3015
    Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:26 am


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:52 am
  • RichNhansom wrote:I guess we'll agree to disagree. I think you can look at the preseason games and easily extrapolate expected results based on all the throws, defensive reads, speed of getting the ball out and adjusting for horrific timing of key drops. Only if you discredit Flynn for receiver drops can you grade him poorly but the ball in 90+% was put were not only it should have been caught but was placed in a leading position that positively impacts YAC.

    I honestly believe Flynn has better value than Smith and I would be surprised if the Niners will garner as much as Seattle will for each. Neither are UFA's and they're contracts are not hat dissimilar so we will see how things play out. I know I would be worried about my FO if they viewed Smith as viable starter and how each gets treated as far as traded or released as well as how each performs next year is my exact point.

    If I am playing GM and need a QB to start for me next year, I am willing to invest more for Flynn than Smith. There are plenty of dumb GM's out there or we wouldn't have got anything for Jackson but I think the smart ones will actually look at the performances rather than the stats and will see more potential in Flynn.


    Yeah, we'll just disagree then. Saying you'd be "worried about your FO if they viewed Smith as a viable starter" is ridiculous, imo, especially when compared with your unwavering support for Flynn. Flynn has not come close to proving himself as much as Smith has. All you're banking on with Flynn is potential, whereas Smith has proven that he can manage a game very well for you, and make some plays when necessary. All of 2011 and half of 2012 PROVE that for Smith. He's got tons more experience than Flynn does no matter how you measure it, and that matters to the FO types.

    In 2011, Smith started all season long for a team that played deep into the postseason and played well. He was very much a game manager, but he showed flashes of being able to air it out when necessary (see the 299-yard, 3 TD, 0 INT performance against the Saints in the playoffs). In 2012, he was showing even greater accuracy, and outside of a bad game against the Giants, protected the ball well. Half of his first 8 games generated a passer rating above 100, and his Week 8 game against the Cardinals was one of the best passer performances of any QB in the league all season long. And he didn't lose his job because he played poorly... he lost it due to injury.

    Smith's got 80 regular season games under his belt, and he's posted very, very good performances in at least a quarter of them. Of his top 20 games (all of which have a passer rating above 98), 13 of them have come in the last 2 seasons. That's what a FO will look at when considering Smith. They're not going to focus on his struggles in '05 or '06. His 2 postseason games last year were also strong performances.

    Honestly, I don't see how you can be such a huge Flynn fanboy and yet dismiss Smith so readily. There is zero evidence of how Flynn will perform when a team can prepare for him as the starter. There's zero evidence for how he will perform when faced with a strong defense. There is zero evidence of how he will perform when given the keys to an offense that isn't among the very best in the league. In other words, Flynn remains an unknown quantity as a potential starting QB. Smith, on the other hand, is more of a known quantity - he's a game manager who avoids turnovers for the most part, with the potential to put up decent numbers, even against strong defenses. Smith isn't the inspirational leader type, but neither is Flynn.
    Image

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    User avatar
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8037
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:20 am
    Location: Right outside Richard Sherman's house


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:11 pm
  • Smith is so good that his coach replaced him mid season for a completely unknown. Not a guy with a couple amazing performances. He went with the unknown based off extremely limited information and in the middle of a super bowl run. You seem to have forgotten that or even question why a coach would go with the less experience. It is a reason why I think others will view Smith similarly.

    You can call me fan boy but not without acknowledging that your just a hater. I'll take mine if you take yours.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3015
    Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:26 am


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:23 pm
  • RichNhansom wrote:Smith is so good that his coach replaced him mid season for a completely unknown. Not a guy with a couple amazing performances. He went with the unknown based off extremely limited information and in the middle of a super bowl run. You seem to have forgotten that or even question why a coach would go with the less experience. It is a reason why I think others will view Smith similarly.

    You can call me fan boy but not without acknowledging that your just a hater. I'll take mine if you take yours.


    Couldn't agree more. Smith certainly has a more expansive resume, but what does it really say.
    A team knows exactly what they are getting with Smith. A inconsistent, mediocre quarterback who hasn't done anything impressive.

    Flynn's mystery is definitely the issue, but that is exactly why I see him going to the Jaguars.
    If Gus Bradley does not see Flynn as a starting QB in the league, we could hang on to him knowing Flynn's market value is not worth moving him.
    If Gus Bradley does like him to start he will have no problem sending a 3rd round pick at the least.

    In Jacksonville, Flynn would have a decent set of weapons to work with in Jones-Drew, Blackmon, Shorts, and Bennett. With a little help on their offensive line I think it'd be rather fun to see what kind of success Flynn would have. This way, Bradley and Jacksonville could shift their attention on their biggest problem (defense).
    joeshaney
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 307
    Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:10 pm


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:25 pm
  • joeshaney wrote:Bradley's defense went up against Flynn in practice daily and he is sure to have and likely still have access to whatever evaluations of Flynn that are relevant. Does this mean that Bradley is a shoe in to be drooling over Flynn? No, but he will certainly have a solid basis for determining the guys value. Blaine Gabbert, on the other hand, is a worthless bum. Let's not get blinded by his draft status and recognize the in his many opportunities to produce hes proven himself to be a significantly worse option than even Henne.


    You are making assumptions in relationship to how the Jags view Gabbert. Is the owner willing to eat the investment or will he insist on giving Gabbert another chance, with competition from Henne or some mid-level veteran to provide competition? Not blinded to draft status but it isn't my money to totally write off the guy. Would Flynn want to leave one situation for another with no guarantees of starting? He doesn't have much say but he has some.

    Yep, the 1's vs the 1's was done quite a bit during the regular season practice but there were times Flynn practiced against the 1's on defense. Portis was here for awhile, running scout team against the 1's. Yep, Flynn's evaluation was available to Bradley. Does Bradley have enough info to make Flynn his first major acquisition and would Caldwell buy in?
    Image
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    User avatar
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *
     
    Posts: 9212
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:33 am
    Location: Covington, Washington


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:54 pm
  • drdiags wrote:
    joeshaney wrote:Bradley's defense went up against Flynn in practice daily and he is sure to have and likely still have access to whatever evaluations of Flynn that are relevant. Does this mean that Bradley is a shoe in to be drooling over Flynn? No, but he will certainly have a solid basis for determining the guys value. Blaine Gabbert, on the other hand, is a worthless bum. Let's not get blinded by his draft status and recognize the in his many opportunities to produce hes proven himself to be a significantly worse option than even Henne.


    You are making assumptions in relationship to how the Jags view Gabbert. Is the owner willing to eat the investment or will he insist on giving Gabbert another chance, with competition from Henne or some mid-level veteran to provide competition? Not blinded to draft status but it isn't my money to totally write off the guy. Would Flynn want to leave one situation for another with no guarantees of starting? He doesn't have much say but he has some.

    Yep, the 1's vs the 1's was done quite a bit during the regular season practice but there were times Flynn practiced against the 1's on defense. Portis was here for awhile, running scout team against the 1's. Yep, Flynn's evaluation was available to Bradley. Does Bradley have enough info to make Flynn his first major acquisition and would Caldwell buy in?


    I am definitely making an assumption that they are done with Gabbert. I am doing so for two reasons. One, Gabbert is dreadful. Two, after hiring a new coach you must allow him to operate the team the ways he sees will bring the team the most success. This I am thoroughly confident will not involve Blaine stinkin' Gabbert.

    However, though I am confident Gabbert is finished I am not assuming that Gus Bradley will make Flynn his starting quarterback. I am only suggesting that Bradley may or may not be interested. If he is interested it would certainly be because he sees Flynn as a starter (and thus worth decent trade value as staring qbs are the most valuable asset a team could have). If he is NOT interested than it provides strong indication that Flynn will not likely be viewed as anything more than a backup and therefore not be worth trading (as the return would be worth less than what we'd be losing - a solid backup).

    If there were some quality quarterback prospects in the draft the situation would be even more unclear. However, I don't see the Jaguars burning such a high pick on an unworthy QB out of desperation when there is much better value on defense. I am pretty confident that Bradley will be looking for defensive linemen and possibly secondary help early in the draft.

    This is merely my opinion and only worth as much the next guys.
    joeshaney
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 307
    Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:10 pm


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:56 pm
  • joeshaney wrote:
    RichNhansom wrote:Smith is so good that his coach replaced him mid season for a completely unknown. Not a guy with a couple amazing performances. He went with the unknown based off extremely limited information and in the middle of a super bowl run. You seem to have forgotten that or even question why a coach would go with the less experience. It is a reason why I think others will view Smith similarly.

    You can call me fan boy but not without acknowledging that your just a hater. I'll take mine if you take yours.


    Couldn't agree more. Smith certainly has a more expansive resume, but what does it really say.
    A team knows exactly what they are getting with Smith. A inconsistent, mediocre quarterback who hasn't done anything impressive.

    Flynn's mystery is definitely the issue, but that is exactly why I see him going to the Jaguars.
    If Gus Bradley does not see Flynn as a starting QB in the league, we could hang on to him knowing Flynn's market value is not worth moving him.
    If Gus Bradley does like him to start he will have no problem sending a 3rd round pick at the least.

    In Jacksonville, Flynn would have a decent set of weapons to work with in Jones-Drew, Blackmon, Shorts, and Bennett. With a little help on their offensive line I think it'd be rather fun to see what kind of success Flynn would have. This way, Bradley and Jacksonville could shift their attention on their biggest problem (defense).


    Some really good points, except this one, which is mixed:
    "A team knows exactly what they are getting with Smith. A inconsistent, mediocre quarterback who hasn't done anything impressive."

    It's a BAD CALL: New Orleans playoff game, last year, Alex Smith was the only reason the 49er's made it to the NFC Championship game, leading the team to 2 TDs in the last 2:11. Do you really think his performance in that game wasn't impressive? Smith led the 49ers to a 13-3 record, and home field advantage. Smith played well enough in the NFC championship game for SF to be in the Super Bowl. The only reason they weren't was Kyle Williams 2 lost fumbles on punts, including one with unbelievably bad timing, that gifted the game to the Giants. Smith played well enough to win against an ELITE Giants defense. Brady didn't have the greatest game against that defense in the Super Bowl...

    It's a GOOD CALL: Yeah, Smith sucked against the Giants in the NFC Championship game, 12-26, and just not putting enough points on the board. It would have been impressive if Smith had lit them up for 300 yards and SF gotten a win by 2 TDs.

    Bottom line, Flynn and Smith are both above-average NFL starting QBs. If I'm a GM looking for a QB that can get my team to the playoffs, it's almost a tossup. I like Flynn better as a pocket passer, think he's better at reading defenses, and running an up-tempo, no-huddle type of offense. (So maybe Chip Kelly in Philly will be interested). On the other hand, I like Smith's mobility, athleticism, and escapability a little better, and maybe with more continuity with the same coordinator, Smith can become more consistent as a passer. I also have to think Smith will be that much hungrier, willing to work hard, put in the study, having been cast aside. On the downside, if Harbaugh didn't buy into Smith, what is it that Harbaugh knows about Smith? The same stuff that Harbaugh knew about Sherman? (In which case Smith becomes the obvious choice) or is Harbaugh correct in his assessment of Smith's "limitations"? Anyway, as a GM of an also-ran who needs a QB, I probably go for Flynn over Smith by just a tiny margin, but I'm happy if I can get either one.
    User avatar
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 672
    Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:03 am


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:00 pm
  • joeshaney wrote:
    This is merely my opinion and only worth as much the next guys.



    Same here. Not assuming I am correct, just discussing various angles. Not saying you are wrong, just responding to you after you raised some questions/counter points about my post. I have no stake in this discussion. Just thinking out loud.
    Image
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    User avatar
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *
     
    Posts: 9212
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:33 am
    Location: Covington, Washington


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:06 pm
  • RichNhansom wrote:Smith is so good that his coach replaced him mid season for a completely unknown. Not a guy with a couple amazing performances. He went with the unknown based off extremely limited information and in the middle of a super bowl run. You seem to have forgotten that or even question why a coach would go with the less experience. It is a reason why I think others will view Smith similarly.

    You can call me fan boy but not without acknowledging that your just a hater. I'll take mine if you take yours.


    http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/ ... ssion.html

    Smith had a concussion and wasn't cleared to play, man. He was out for two weeks, and Kaepernick came in and played really well, giving the 49ers offense an element it didn't have with Smith. Harbaugh chose to stick with the new guy (or the "hot hand" or whatever you want to call it), and he got a lot of flack over it - especially after the subpar performance Kaepernick put on against the Seahawks.

    Quit trying to paint it like Smith was being ineffective and just got pulled for Kaepernick.
    Image

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    User avatar
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8037
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:20 am
    Location: Right outside Richard Sherman's house


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:11 pm
  • drdiags wrote:
    joeshaney wrote:
    This is merely my opinion and only worth as much the next guys.



    Same here. Not assuming I am correct, just discussing various angles. Not saying you are wrong, just responding to you after you raised some questions/counter points about my post. I have no stake in this discussion. Just thinking out loud.


    Good conversation friend.
    It is quite likely Flynn isn't traded at all. If so, I just cant see a better fit than with the Jags.
    Alex Smith, on the other hand, is extremely difficult to imagine with the 9ers and all of their cap issues next year.

    He would also be a goo fit in Jacksonville and who Bradley targets should provide some conclusion to who the better option is.
    joeshaney
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 307
    Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:10 pm


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:16 pm
  • volsunghawk wrote:
    RichNhansom wrote:Smith is so good that his coach replaced him mid season for a completely unknown. Not a guy with a couple amazing performances. He went with the unknown based off extremely limited information and in the middle of a super bowl run. You seem to have forgotten that or even question why a coach would go with the less experience. It is a reason why I think others will view Smith similarly.

    You can call me fan boy but not without acknowledging that your just a hater. I'll take mine if you take yours.


    http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/ ... ssion.html

    Smith had a concussion and wasn't cleared to play, man. He was out for two weeks, and Kaepernick came in and played really well, giving the 49ers offense an element it didn't have with Smith. Harbaugh chose to stick with the new guy (or the "hot hand" or whatever you want to call it), and he got a lot of flack over it - especially after the subpar performance Kaepernick put on against the Seahawks.

    Quit trying to paint it like Smith was being ineffective and just got pulled for Kaepernick.

    By the same logic Flynn got signed to a pretty decent contract but got REPLACED PRESEASON BY A COMPLETE UNKNOWN.

    If someone is trading for Smith or Flynn, I don't think they're thinking they're getting a franchise QB in return, so set your expectations for the price accordingly. Further, Smith is still far more proven. Hold his early seasons against him, fine, but he also quarterbacked a 13-3 team last year and even singlehandedly won a playoff game. People are overrating Flynn and underrating every other available QB whether that be by FA, trade, or the draft class, I assume because it supports their desire to get some kind of killer deal for Flynn.
    User avatar
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2836
    Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:47 pm
    Location: Seattle


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:24 pm
  • Joeshaney, I don't know that we will get a third, I think that is on the high side because there are to many variables surrounding the position?. I did a wright up on page two about some of thr variables. I do believe if we were capable of getting anything for Jackson then trading Flynn should be no problem. I just don't know how much he will actually garner.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3015
    Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:26 am


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:33 pm
  • RichNhansom wrote:Joeshaney, I don't know that we will get a third, I think that is on the high side because there are to many variables surrounding the position?. I did a wright up on page two about some of thr variables. I do believe if we were capable of getting anything for Jackson then trading Flynn should be no problem. I just don't know how much he will actually garner.


    I understand your logic and unless some team views him as a starter you are right on.
    My feeling, however, is that if all we can get is a late round pick for Flynn he will be staying put. The only purpose for trading away a player like Flynn is to make the team better. If there isn't a trade that makes the team better than there will be no trade occurring.

    Therefore, I believe that Flynn will be either in Seattle next year or traded to the Jags for a 3rd round pick and possibly an additional depth player or late round pick.
    joeshaney
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 307
    Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:10 pm


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:35 pm
  • joeshaney wrote:
    RichNhansom wrote:Joeshaney, I don't know that we will get a third, I think that is on the high side because there are to many variables surrounding the position?. I did a wright up on page two about some of thr variables. I do believe if we were capable of getting anything for Jackson then trading Flynn should be no problem. I just don't know how much he will actually garner.


    I understand your logic and unless some team views him as a starter you are right on.
    My feeling, however, is that if all we can get is a late round pick for Flynn he will be staying put. The only purpose for trading away a player like Flynn is to make the team better. If there isn't a trade that makes the team better than there will be no trade occurring.

    Therefore, I believe that Flynn will be either in Seattle next year or traded to the Jags for a 3rd round pick and possibly an additional depth player or late round pick.

    Uh, cap space, that makes the team better. Gives us more wiggle room to sign a FA who might actually start for this team and room to extend our young guys who are all going to be looking for a payday in the coming years.

    If the best they can get for Flynn is a 6th, I'd be shocked if they passed.
    User avatar
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2836
    Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:47 pm
    Location: Seattle


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:35 pm
  • joeshaney wrote:
    RichNhansom wrote:Joeshaney, I don't know that we will get a third, I think that is on the high side because there are to many variables surrounding the position?. I did a wright up on page two about some of thr variables. I do believe if we were capable of getting anything for Jackson then trading Flynn should be no problem. I just don't know how much he will actually garner.


    I understand your logic and unless some team views him as a starter you are right on.
    My feeling, however, is that if all we can get is a late round pick for Flynn he will be staying put. The only purpose for trading away a player like Flynn is to make the team better. If there isn't a trade that makes the team better than there will be no trade occurring.

    Therefore, I believe that Flynn will be either in Seattle next year or traded to the Jags for a 3rd round pick and possibly an additional depth player or late round pick.


    I have to agree with Pink here. We could use his cap space for a starter and letting Flynn go after a starter position is the right thing to do so if the best case were even a 6th I would think they would grab it and move on.

    I would love to have Flynn as our backup if he is willing to be that but I get the feeling he is to competitive to want to stay a backup. I think Flynn views himself as a starter and a disgruntled back up is not a good thing.

    I wouldn't mind bringing in someone like Seneca Wallace who would be much less expensive and could run the wild cat. It would be a bonus that he would probably relish being a back up for us also.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3015
    Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:26 am


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:27 pm
  • volsunghawk wrote:
    RichNhansom wrote:Smith is so good that his coach replaced him mid season for a completely unknown. Not a guy with a couple amazing performances. He went with the unknown based off extremely limited information and in the middle of a super bowl run. You seem to have forgotten that or even question why a coach would go with the less experience. It is a reason why I think others will view Smith similarly.

    You can call me fan boy but not without acknowledging that your just a hater. I'll take mine if you take yours.


    http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/ ... ssion.html

    Smith had a concussion and wasn't cleared to play, man. He was out for two weeks, and Kaepernick came in and played really well, giving the 49ers offense an element it didn't have with Smith. Harbaugh chose to stick with the new guy (or the "hot hand" or whatever you want to call it), and he got a lot of flack over it - especially after the subpar performance Kaepernick put on against the Seahawks.

    Quit trying to paint it like Smith was being ineffective and just got pulled for Kaepernick.


    I know Smith had a concussion and Kaep played well in his first game but right after that first game is when Harbaugh said he would go with the hot hand and Smith was cleared to play the following week. That doesn't change that Harbaugh in the middle of a super bowl run decided to go with the guy who had shown less than Flynn at that point. That should tell you everything you need to know about the views of a 7 year veteran QB even playing his best football still was less enticing than the complete unknown who only had one game under his belt at the time and it wasn't as good as Flynn's best game statistically or by the eyeball test.

    Why are you trying to make an argument for the experienced player but ignoring his own coach benched him even when he was playing his best football in favor of the unknown? How do you ignore that there was more known about Flynn than Kaepernick at the same time? There is no way to justify the belief that Flynn hasn't proved anything yet Kaepernick had. Either it is that or Harbaugh didn't believe Smith was a better option than an unknown. Fact is Harbaugh never gave Smith another chance. He chose the unknow with potentail and I think smart GM's will see it that way as well. I honestly don't know how you can ignore it.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3015
    Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:26 am


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:46 pm
  • pinksheets wrote:
    joeshaney wrote:
    RichNhansom wrote:Joeshaney, I don't know that we will get a third, I think that is on the high side because there are to many variables surrounding the position?. I did a wright up on page two about some of thr variables. I do believe if we were capable of getting anything for Jackson then trading Flynn should be no problem. I just don't know how much he will actually garner.


    I understand your logic and unless some team views him as a starter you are right on.
    My feeling, however, is that if all we can get is a late round pick for Flynn he will be staying put. The only purpose for trading away a player like Flynn is to make the team better. If there isn't a trade that makes the team better than there will be no trade occurring.

    Therefore, I believe that Flynn will be either in Seattle next year or traded to the Jags for a 3rd round pick and possibly an additional depth player or late round pick.

    Uh, cap space, that makes the team better. Gives us more wiggle room to sign a FA who might actually start for this team and room to extend our young guys who are all going to be looking for a payday in the coming years.

    If the best they can get for Flynn is a 6th, I'd be shocked if they passed.


    Cap space is not an issue for the Seahawks...at all.
    joeshaney
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 307
    Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:10 pm


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:16 pm
  • joeshaney wrote:Cap space is not an issue for the Seahawks...at all.

    I don't think you know what you're talking about.

    Right now Clayton projects them to have $18m in cap space next year. Sounds like a decent amount, right? It is, but they've got to worry about whether or not to bring back Branch or Jason Jones or to look in FA to perhaps address the pass rush. Then we add the rookies. Whatever we have left in cap space after that.....can be carried over into the next year. Our young players will soon be up for new deals and if we want to keep as many of them as we can, we're going to need to save every penny we can and try to rollover as much cap as we can. Saving a few million by moving Flynn would be a big deal.

    This isn't about being against the cap next year, it's about planning ahead for the next few years when guys like Kam Chancellor, KJ Wright, Richard Sherman and the other important pieces that are making like $500-$700k a year start looking for a bit more.
    User avatar
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2836
    Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:47 pm
    Location: Seattle


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:46 pm
  • RichNhansom wrote:
    volsunghawk wrote:
    RichNhansom wrote:Smith is so good that his coach replaced him mid season for a completely unknown. Not a guy with a couple amazing performances. He went with the unknown based off extremely limited information and in the middle of a super bowl run. You seem to have forgotten that or even question why a coach would go with the less experience. It is a reason why I think others will view Smith similarly.

    You can call me fan boy but not without acknowledging that your just a hater. I'll take mine if you take yours.


    http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/ ... ssion.html

    Smith had a concussion and wasn't cleared to play, man. He was out for two weeks, and Kaepernick came in and played really well, giving the 49ers offense an element it didn't have with Smith. Harbaugh chose to stick with the new guy (or the "hot hand" or whatever you want to call it), and he got a lot of flack over it - especially after the subpar performance Kaepernick put on against the Seahawks.

    Quit trying to paint it like Smith was being ineffective and just got pulled for Kaepernick.


    I know Smith had a concussion and Kaep played well in his first game but right after that first game is when Harbaugh said he would go with the hot hand and Smith was cleared to play the following week. That doesn't change that Harbaugh in the middle of a super bowl run decided to go with the guy who had shown less than Flynn at that point. That should tell you everything you need to know about the views of a 7 year veteran QB even playing his best football still was less enticing than the complete unknown who only had one game under his belt at the time and it wasn't as good as Flynn's best game statistically or by the eyeball test.

    Why are you trying to make an argument for the experienced player but ignoring his own coach benched him even when he was playing his best football in favor of the unknown? How do you ignore that there was more known about Flynn than Kaepernick at the same time? There is no way to justify the belief that Flynn hasn't proved anything yet Kaepernick had. Either it is that or Harbaugh didn't believe Smith was a better option than an unknown. Fact is Harbaugh never gave Smith another chance. He chose the unknow with potentail and I think smart GM's will see it that way as well. I honestly don't know how you can ignore it.


    No, that's not accurate. Harbaugh didn't pick Kaepernick "right after that first game." Smith was injured early in the Rams tie, and Kaepernick played well in the remainder of the game. He also played well in the Chicago and New Orleans games after that, and it wasn't until then that Smith was cleared. Kaepernick was playing just about as well as Smith had, and he was doing so with much less experience. And here's the biggest point... Kaepernick was doing it with the exact same team. Kaepernick didn't put up his two and a half games of evidence with some offensive juggernaut in another division and then come into the 49ers lineup.

    So, in the end, what Harbaugh saw was his more athletically gifted backup QB playing as well as his starter, and doing so for a far smaller contract. That made Smith expendable, as long as Kaepernick proved he could continue the very good production he'd been generating. It wasn't about Smith sucking... it was about Kaepernick excelling on the cheap. That should sound familiar to you. Flynn didn't lose out on the Seahawks starting job because he sucked... he lost it because Wilson was better (and it does help that Wilson is cheaper, too).

    When it comes to potential trades and teams are faced with the prospect of going for Smith or Flynn, they're not going to be looking at two vastly different QBs as far as talent or ability goes. Both guys seem smart, team-oriented, affable, and capable. Neither of them seem like guys who would inspire their team to follow them to the gates of Hell or anything, but they seem like they could lead without tripping over their own junk at the very least. That said, if the money is similar and the compensation in trade is similar, I guarantee you that most if not all NFL front offices will go with the guy with more experience every time - unless there is a talent gap, age gap, or injury history gap that forces them to do otherwise. And there's no way you will convince me that's the case between Smith and Flynn.
    Image

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    User avatar
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8037
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:20 am
    Location: Right outside Richard Sherman's house


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:18 am
  • SEATTLE!!
    hawksman53
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 814
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 11:27 pm


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:57 am
  • Personally I think Flynn will fetch more than a 4th round pick precisely because his contract is so reasonable.

    If you knew you knew you were getting a top notch backup QB what would that be worth?

    What is a starting QB worth?

    What would a QB be worth that was supposed to be a starter but lost out to...Russell Freaking Wilson...

    Is that starting QB still worth more than a backup? I'd think so.

    Is that starting QB will worth more than Matt Cassell? I'd think so there too.

    In fact, I'd say Matt Flynn will go on to have a better career than Cassell, Schaub, Sanchez, Gabbert, Vince Young, Jake Locker, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Kevin Kolb and any mediocre QB you could throw out there. Flynn is a starter. Starters are worth something.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    User avatar
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator
     
    Posts: 10112
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:51 pm
    Location: With a white girl


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:02 am
  • I think the likely best case scenario right now is probably to trade Flynn to a team drafting early and swap picks in the 2nd round. That's pretty much what I'm hoping for.
    User avatar
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1269
    Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:12 pm


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:50 am
  • pinksheets wrote:
    joeshaney wrote:Cap space is not an issue for the Seahawks...at all.

    I don't think you know what you're talking about.

    Right now Clayton projects them to have $18m in cap space next year. Sounds like a decent amount, right? It is, but they've got to worry about whether or not to bring back Branch or Jason Jones or to look in FA to perhaps address the pass rush. Then we add the rookies. Whatever we have left in cap space after that.....can be carried over into the next year. Our young players will soon be up for new deals and if we want to keep as many of them as we can, we're going to need to save every penny we can and try to rollover as much cap as we can. Saving a few million by moving Flynn would be a big deal.

    This isn't about being against the cap next year, it's about planning ahead for the next few years when guys like Kam Chancellor, KJ Wright, Richard Sherman and the other important pieces that are making like $500-$700k a year start looking for a bit more.


    I don't think you know what your talking about.....
    The Seahawks cap position is among the best in the NFL. You can poster free agency how ever you see fit, but they are still in a very, very good position. Duh, of course we can hope they have plans on making acquisitions. Nonetheless, to assume they will be excited to throw away a quality backup quarterback for a 6th round pick is flat out retarded. Particularly in a year when we already are slated to have 10 picks as is.

    To think that the Seahawks front office are at some conflict with there payroll due to Matt Flynn's contract is silly.....
    joeshaney
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 307
    Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:10 pm


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:59 am
  • I would also mention that the Arizona Cardinals were approximately 1 point something million dollars OVER the salary cap at the same time they were courting Peyton Manning.
    joeshaney
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 307
    Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:10 pm


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:09 am
  • I never said there was some big conflict on payroll. The reason the Seahawks have so much capspace is.....say it with me...rollover! The more we rollover from one year, the more we have the next, which we're going to need in the next couple of years. So saving money by not overpaying a backup quarterback is a sound move when it means you might have a few extra million to play with when it comes to re-signing Chancellor, Sherman, Wright, etc. Flynn is not worth what we pay him for what he brings to the team, at all, it's not a good value and we can better use those resources, period. Finding a team that wants to pay him $7 million next year will be a bit of a challenge, which is why a later round pick might be something we're lucky to secure.
    User avatar
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2836
    Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:47 pm
    Location: Seattle


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:35 am
  • All of you saying we will be lucky to get a 6th for Flynn. As yourself this question honestly - you also said that our FO couldn't get ANYTHING for Tarvaris Jackson, right? Right!?!

    IMHO, if we trade Flynn, it won't be for anything less than a 3rd round pick.
    "I want to drink Ranier Beer out of a mug made from Jim harbaugh's hollowed out skull." CANHAWK
    User avatar
    sam1313
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 1777
    Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:56 pm
    Location: Las Vegas, Nevada


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:37 am
  • sam1313 wrote:All of you saying we will be lucky to get a 6th for Flynn. As yourself this question honestly - you also said that our FO couldn't get ANYTHING for Tarvaris Jackson, right? Right!?!

    IMHO, if we trade Flynn, it won't be for anything less than a 3rd round pick.


    I don't think we'd be "lucky" to get a 6th for Flynn. I think that would be a little low.

    I think a 4th or 5th is definitely reasonable, and that we'd be lucky to get a 3rd. We'd be incredibly lucky to get a 2nd, and I'd hope that JS jumped at the chance immediately if any team offered that (even the Cardinals).
    Image

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    User avatar
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8037
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:20 am
    Location: Right outside Richard Sherman's house


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:41 am
  • joeshaney wrote:
    pinksheets wrote:
    joeseahawks wrote:Jaguars are getting Tebow.
    Cardinals are getting Mike Glennon from NC State
    KC is going to get Flynn. We better get one of their studs.

    Uh, why?

    Andy Reid rips people off with backup QBs, not the other way around. He's not going to give up an elite player for Matt freaking Flynn.


    I agree with you, however, it sounds like you are undervaluing Flynn.
    The guys a good, starting caliber quarterback. I don't expect us to get a first round pick or likely even a second. Nonetheless, for any of you who think he won't be targeted by teams in need of a qb, you are blinded by Russell Wilson's success.

    Matt Flynn is a good QB plain and simple. He's not a worthless asset as some of you seem to assume. He will either be in Seattle next year or net us something of value.


    Since the whole Kevin Kolb trade, I would think FOs are being a little more cautious when it comes to dealing for backup QBs.
    Status: Active lieutenant in the 12th Man Army
    User avatar
    12thMan1
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 723
    Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:19 am


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:43 am
  • volsunghawk wrote:
    sam1313 wrote:All of you saying we will be lucky to get a 6th for Flynn. As yourself this question honestly - you also said that our FO couldn't get ANYTHING for Tarvaris Jackson, right? Right!?!

    IMHO, if we trade Flynn, it won't be for anything less than a 3rd round pick.


    I don't think we'd be "lucky" to get a 6th for Flynn. I think that would be a little low.

    I think a 4th or 5th is definitely reasonable, and that we'd be lucky to get a 3rd. We'd be incredibly lucky to get a 2nd, and I'd hope that JS jumped at the chance immediately if any team offered that (even the Cardinals).


    I'm a lot more hesitant to give the Cardinals anything than you are. With Flynn they may have made the playoffs this year. They were tough enough defensively as it was, with Flynn they could be really difficult to deal with.

    To behonest,I wouldn't be surprised to get something even better than a second for Flynn, but it all starts with the Jags. If they show a lot of interest, I think it ups Flynn's price tage significantly.
    "I want to drink Ranier Beer out of a mug made from Jim harbaugh's hollowed out skull." CANHAWK
    User avatar
    sam1313
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 1777
    Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:56 pm
    Location: Las Vegas, Nevada


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:56 am
  • sam1313 wrote:
    volsunghawk wrote:
    sam1313 wrote:All of you saying we will be lucky to get a 6th for Flynn. As yourself this question honestly - you also said that our FO couldn't get ANYTHING for Tarvaris Jackson, right? Right!?!

    IMHO, if we trade Flynn, it won't be for anything less than a 3rd round pick.


    I don't think we'd be "lucky" to get a 6th for Flynn. I think that would be a little low.

    I think a 4th or 5th is definitely reasonable, and that we'd be lucky to get a 3rd. We'd be incredibly lucky to get a 2nd, and I'd hope that JS jumped at the chance immediately if any team offered that (even the Cardinals).


    I'm a lot more hesitant to give the Cardinals anything than you are. With Flynn they may have made the playoffs this year. They were tough enough defensively as it was, with Flynn they could be really difficult to deal with.

    To behonest,I wouldn't be surprised to get something even better than a second for Flynn, but it all starts with the Jags. If they show a lot of interest, I think it ups Flynn's price tage significantly.


    I don't think Flynn would have improved the team that much. Even when they had Kolb in (who I think is probably on par with Flynn), he wasn't performing impressively. Their early winning streak was all about the D.

    I'd be absolutely shocked if anyone - seriously, ANY team in the entire NFL - offered more than a 2nd for Flynn. I'd be really surprised at a 2nd and can't envision any scenario where a team offers more than that.
    Image

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    User avatar
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8037
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:20 am
    Location: Right outside Richard Sherman's house


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:08 am
  • volsunghawk wrote:
    I'd be absolutely shocked if anyone - seriously, ANY team in the entire NFL - offered more than a 2nd for Flynn. I'd be really surprised at a 2nd and can't envision any scenario where a team offers more than that.


    I think Pete and John would jump at a 2nd. It's when you get into a 3rd or 4th round pick only territory that I think they'd keep Flynn.

    I do think there are 4-5 teams that'd give up a 2nd for Flynn. His salary is perfect for taking a risk on bringing him into places like Philly, Jacksonville, Oakland, KC, Buffalo (if they cut Fitzpatrick), etc.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3119
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Where will Flynn play next year?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:46 am
  • pinksheets wrote:I never said there was some big conflict on payroll. The reason the Seahawks have so much capspace is.....say it with me...rollover! The more we rollover from one year, the more we have the next, which we're going to need in the next couple of years. So saving money by not overpaying a backup quarterback is a sound move when it means you might have a few extra million to play with when it comes to re-signing Chancellor, Sherman, Wright, etc. Flynn is not worth what we pay him for what he brings to the team, at all, it's not a good value and we can better use those resources, period. Finding a team that wants to pay him $7 million next year will be a bit of a challenge, which is why a later round pick might be something we're lucky to secure.


    Im not worried about clearing a billion dollars of cap space for the purpose of "rollover". Lets at the very least wait until after our cap situation becomes hampered before we decide that rolling over 20 million dollars is going to help us.
    joeshaney
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 307
    Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:10 pm


Next


It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:26 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online