Still hung-up on the 65-yard FG attempt...

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:Well, the records (and I believe three people are tied with 63) were all outside if I recall correctly. At least two were - one in Denver and one in Tennessee, no? Sure, he hasn't kicked one that long before, but he's got a few factors on his side: it's inside, it's for the win in the playoffs, it's for a record. Don't think his adrenalin wouldn't propel that sucker a few more feet than normal. I'd have loved to see them try.

    Yeah, but when the longest he was hitting in practice was 50, I don't think those factors add up to another 15-17 yards..
    Tezz
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 6
    Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:42 am


  • They attempted one pass play before the hail mary. They should have went for one large gain, called a timeout then kicked a field goal.
    ~ The Stache'
    User avatar
    Zowert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1990
    Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:29 pm
    Location: Seattle


  • This topic is completely idiotic
    User avatar
    thebanjodude
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 483
    Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 9:18 am


  • can we be done with this silly speculation. Longwell couldnt even kick a touchback, let alone a 55 yard field goal
    Image
    User avatar
    KitsapHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 844
    Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:04 pm
    Location: Behind you


  • Zowert wrote:They attempted one pass play before the hail mary. They should have went for one large gain, called a timeout then kicked a field goal.


    There were 2 seconds left on the clock after the pass. Even something a little bit longer likely would have ended the game
    User avatar
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3454
    Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 2:09 pm


  • A 65 yard FG from a kicker that's nearly 40?

    :lol:
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    User avatar
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *
     
    Posts: 4908
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 4:55 pm


  • glowingeyedseahawk wrote:The odds of making this are NO DIFFERENT than a Hail-Mary attempt.

    Longwell's longest is 55 yards.
    Could he connect and get one 30 feet longer ??
    Maybe......
    Indoors,
    No weather elements to factor in ??
    Kick-offs ~ (from a tee, I know) ....spotted from the 35 to the endzone = 65 yards
    I know this is different, but he was putting this balls CLOSE to th endzone on kick-offs.
    He's been in the league for how long ??
    .....give him a shot !!
    What did we bring him in for ??
    .....60 yard kick-offs to the 5 yard line, I guess ????? :229031_banghead:



    If it were true that the odds of making a 65 yard FG are NO DIFFERENT than making a Hail Mary attempt, then why, thoughout the history of the NFL, has there been quite a few times that a Hail Mary has worked and NO ONE has ever kicked a 65 yard FG?
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

    R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    User avatar
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4682
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:39 pm


  • glowingeyedseahawk wrote:...just a silly question to all of this...

    What are the rules for the offensive team of scoring off a short FG attempt ??
    I know the defense has a chance to return a short FG - if caught in the air and returned like a punt.
    Can the offense score on a FG that is "popped-up" - caught in the air, like a pass, and run into the endzone ??
    Crazy I know, ....just asking ?? :stirthepot:

    No. Once the ball is kicked, it is essentially a change of possession. On a punt, if the kicking team touches it first, it is downed at that spot. I'd assume a FG would be the same. The only kick the O can advance, I believe would be a kickoff, and I'm not sure about that. You can take possession, but may not be allowed to advance it.

    If the d touches it first, it could be ruled a muff, which can also not be advanced. If that happens and is recovered in the end zone, it's a score, but not otherwise, IIRC.

    Gawd, did I really kick this thread again? Sorry.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

    SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    User avatar
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 10159
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:41 am
    Location: Monroe, WA


  • SalishHawkFan wrote:If it were true that the odds of making a 65 yard FG are NO DIFFERENT than making a Hail Mary attempt, then why, thoughout the history of the NFL, has there been quite a few times that a Hail Mary has worked and NO ONE has ever kicked a 65 yard FG?


    Because kickers. Haven't you seen Ace Ventura?
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    User avatar
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *
     
    Posts: 18656
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:23 am
    Location: The beautiful PNW


  • glowingeyedseahawk wrote:but people,

    My question is:
    Why not try ???

    The odds of success for the two cases is very minimal..........

    Let's assume for the sake of the argument that the odds are exactly the same.

    WTF are you complaining about? Turn your question around -- why not try the hail mary?


    To answer your question, why not try the 65 yard long kick?

    A. Pete obviously thought that FG attempt had less of a chance of succeeding than a pass play (which, I remind you, we have had success with earlier in the year with the same QB and receivers).

    B. The last time he faced that situation while playing the Falcons, he did try the long field goal. It was unsuccessful, and he got raked over the coals for it.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    User avatar
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *
     
    Posts: 7437
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:06 am
    Location: Eastern Washington


  • Also, on the hail mary attempt, there is the possibility of a PI call, which would give the O one more play. The half/game can't end on a defensive penalty. Shifts the debate a bit.

    ;)
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

    SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    User avatar
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 10159
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:41 am
    Location: Monroe, WA


  • All season long we saw Wilson lead us on game winning drives, many of which had a long TD passes to seal it. No reason to take the ball out of his hands for a 65 yarder. It just didn't work out this time.
    hawkmanj
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 299
    Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:50 am


  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    SalishHawkFan wrote:If it were true that the odds of making a 65 yard FG are NO DIFFERENT than making a Hail Mary attempt, then why, thoughout the history of the NFL, has there been quite a few times that a Hail Mary has worked and NO ONE has ever kicked a 65 yard FG?


    Because kickers. Haven't you seen Ace Ventura?


    But how many times has a 65 yarder been the distance you need. Usually on hail marys its longer
    User avatar
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3454
    Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 2:09 pm


  • With Clemons and Miller out, 49ers home field advantage, and their pumped up attitude, I do not doubt there was a strong chance we would have lost this game.

    It's not worth spending too much time and energy on ifs, ands, and buts.
    User avatar
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2238
    Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:11 am


  • BlueTalon wrote:B. The last time he faced that situation while playing the Falcons, he did try the long field goal. It was unsuccessful, and he got raked over the coals for it.


    Thank you!

    I've been reading these forums for a long time and finally registered here because I couldn't believe nobody was bringing this up. Exact same score and team...
    khc17
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 2
    Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:05 am


  • What would had been very hilarious was Pete going for FG and then calls timeout, and lets his kicker practice, then go back and call RW in to go for hail mary. :P
    Carmon1274
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 499
    Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:50 pm


  • sutz wrote:Also, on the hail mary attempt, there is the possibility of a PI call, which would give the O one more play. The half/game can't end on a defensive penalty. Shifts the debate a bit.

    ;)


    Thank You, Sutz !!! :th2thumbs:
    FINALLY, a response that I can totally agree with.....
    I'll bye the hail-mary play to get a possible PI call and one more final play for the win......THIS MAKES SENSE

    Otherwise, I'd have to "agree to disagree" with most responses from this thread...
    sorry, I just think the FG was worth the try here....something tells me it was makeable at that time ??
    "If You're Good At Making Excuses, You'll Never Be Great At Anything Else." ~ Richard Sherman

    GO HAWKS !!
    User avatar
    glowingeyedseahawk
    * PA's # 1 Seahawks Fan *
     
    Posts: 545
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:42 pm
    Location: Sinking Spring, PA


  • glowingeyedseahawk wrote:The odds of making this are NO DIFFERENT than a Hail-Mary attempt.

    Longwell's longest is 55 yards.



    I saw Longwell making 55 yarders during Viking practice easily near the tops of the goal posts, they weren't squeeking by they were sailing..

    its real sad to me

    the Gods were speaking and thats why the Hawks kicker was hurt and Longwell came aboard, so he could set a FG post season winning record of 65 yards, the GODS WERE SPEAKING

    sadly no one was listening, Longwell was supposed to go down in history, the Gods were smited, I've competed enough to know what happens when you smite the Gods, typically they smite you back.. ;)

    some times its better to roll with the punches than to have the punches roll you...

    so many mental errors, learn from it and move on.
    GO HAWKS!!!
    User avatar
    Twisted
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1554
    Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:29 pm


  • OP, i think you only dwell on wanting to see the 65 yard attempt just because of the "what if" possibility.

    If we would have kicked that 65 yarder and came up short (most likely) then the whole idea would have sounded ludicrous. And there would be a "would if" thread about a hail marry attempt.
    TOUCHDOWN SEAHAWKS!!!
    User avatar
    Hawk-A-Loogie
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 293
    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:44 pm
    Location: Washington


  • Hawk-A-Loogie wrote:OP, i think you only dwell on wanting to see the 65 yard attempt just because of the "what if" possibility.

    If we would have kicked that 65 yarder and came up short (most likely) then the whole idea would have sounded ludicrous. And there would be a "would if" thread about a hail marry attempt.


    the percentage of kicking the FG is hihger than the 65 yarder, simply because there are no fails, cuz no one trys em

    it was a sign, new kicker, FG to win, 63 yards is the current record, rookie in the superbowl...

    you guys don't get how magic works or why it works for that matter, keep fighting it, see how that works out for ya...
    GO HAWKS!!!
    User avatar
    Twisted
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1554
    Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:29 pm


  • I hate to say this, but I think Longwell is actually the guy who cost us the game. After Seattle scored the go ahead Touch down, all he needed to do was boot the ball out of the endzone and give them the ball at their 20.
    NO. His kick off was returned to the 33 yards line. That's a massive difference of 13 yards. I don't know if Matt Ryan would have completed three long passes in a row. Everyone of the Falcons offense started well above the 25 yards line, while the Seahawks had to go 80 yards.
    Joe
    joeseahawks
    *The Prophet*
     
    Posts: 927
    Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:43 pm


  • It was a team loss. Longwell didn't cost us anything all by himself, but he certainly contributed per your observation.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    User avatar
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *
     
    Posts: 7437
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:06 am
    Location: Eastern Washington


  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:Well, the records (and I believe three people are tied with 63) were all outside if I recall correctly. At least two were - one in Denver and one in Tennessee, no? Sure, he hasn't kicked one that long before, but he's got a few factors on his side: it's inside, it's for the win in the playoffs, it's for a record. Don't think his adrenalin wouldn't propel that sucker a few more feet than normal. I'd have loved to see them try.


    When it hit the ground before even reaching the end zone you wouldn't have loved it.

    I could get your "adrenaline" argument for a 55 or 58 yarder. A 65 yarder? Not a chance in hell.

    I remember when I was a kid playing Madden, if you tried over a 55 yarder and missed. Madden would laugh at you and say, "Who do they think their kicker is, Superman?"
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1155
    Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:00 pm


  • Longwell would not even come close, just does not have that type of leg, heck not many kickers period have that type of leg, at least a hail-mary gave us a slim chance.
    Image
    User avatar
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *
     
    Posts: 11070
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:47 am
    Location: Pasco, WA


  • The Hail Mary at least had a chance Wilson got the ball into the end zone also we could have gotten a PI call and won the game that way, the FG is never going to happen with Longwell from 65 yards. OP is saying well it's just an extra 30 feet well that's a big deal and Longwell is a long way from his prime when he could kick a 55 yarder.

    We could go out there with 1000 footballs, no defense on the field and just let him kick every one of them from 65 he's not going to make any not a week ago, not today and at no point in the future is he making a 65 yard field goal.
    User avatar
    SuperFreak
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 419
    Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:35 pm


  • glowingeyedseahawk wrote:
    sutz wrote:Also, on the hail mary attempt, there is the possibility of a PI call, which would give the O one more play. The half/game can't end on a defensive penalty. Shifts the debate a bit.

    ;)


    Thank You, Sutz !!! :th2thumbs:
    FINALLY, a response that I can totally agree with.....
    I'll bye the hail-mary play to get a possible PI call and one more final play for the win......THIS MAKES SENSE

    Otherwise, I'd have to "agree to disagree" with most responses from this thread...
    sorry, I just think the FG was worth the try here....something tells me it was makeable at that time ??


    Well, that weed legalization thing just kicked in, didn't it? Maybe that's what's telling you it was a makeable kick.

    Look, only 12 FGs in NFL history have been 60+ yards. Only 4 have been made from 63, and two of those were at a mile elevation where the thinner air aided the kick. It's not an accident that there are so few successful kicks from that range.
    Image

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    User avatar
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8088
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:20 am
    Location: Right outside Richard Sherman's house


  • Greg Zeurlein of the Rams I'd let try the 65-yarder, but nobody else in the league would even be close.
    It could have been interesting to line up like attempting a FG but then throw the Hail Mary. Except I think Jon Ryan is the holder. So there's the case for signing Tebow, right there. Line up for the FG, Tebow as the holder, either throw the Hail Mary to Tate/Rice for the win, or run it in himself, or maybe a throw to Tate on the left, then a 31-home-run-throwback to Tebow on the right. Actually make that first throw to Rice. And there's always the hook and ladder play back to the QB. (Remember the Dolphins hook-and-ladder that beat the Steelers?)
    User avatar
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 676
    Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:03 am


  • In Denver on a clear day with a perfectly straight tail wind...I'd still go for the hail mary.
    User avatar
    CrimsonWazzu
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 418
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:33 am


  • Can we lock this topic?
    User avatar
    thebanjodude
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 483
    Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 9:18 am


  • Twisted wrote:
    Hawk-A-Loogie wrote:OP, i think you only dwell on wanting to see the 65 yard attempt just because of the "what if" possibility.

    If we would have kicked that 65 yarder and came up short (most likely) then the whole idea would have sounded ludicrous. And there would be a "would if" thread about a hail marry attempt.


    the percentage of kicking the FG is hihger than the 65 yarder, simply because there are no fails, cuz no one trys em

    it was a sign, new kicker, FG to win, 63 yards is the current record, rookie in the superbowl...

    you guys don't get how magic works or why it works for that matter, keep fighting it, see how that works out for ya...


    :lol:

    He's damn near 40.. the ball wouldn't have gone past the 5.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    User avatar
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *
     
    Posts: 4908
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 4:55 pm


  • joeseahawks wrote:I hate to say this, but I think Longwell is actually the guy who cost us the game.



    meh, smite the Gods they will smite you back 10 fold

    NOT having longwell kick the 2 3s in the first half were the real mistakes, payback, karma whatever, it was a poor decision to not kick the 3 and maybe one that will haunt PC the rest of his life, especially if he never gets to the bowl game...
    GO HAWKS!!!
    User avatar
    Twisted
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1554
    Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:29 pm


  • Well, some kid at my old high school here in Spokane made a 67 yard field goal.

    If some 17 year old kid can make a 67 yard field goal, why can't a 38 year old make a 65 yarder?

    Well, it's all in the past now. We already had one hail mary this season, I suppose that was enough
    No autographs please
    User avatar
    Jerhawk
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 327
    Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:39 am
    Location: Spokane, WA


  • Jerhawk wrote:Well, some kid at my old high school here in Spokane made a 67 yard field goal.

    If some 17 year old kid can make a 67 yard field goal, why can't a 38 year old make a 65 yarder?

    Well, it's all in the past now. We already had one hail mary this season, I suppose that was enough


    That 17 year old kid didn't have an entire line of 6' 4" 250 pound men who are some of the best athletes in the country jumping up to try and block the kick.
    Image
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    User avatar
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 11511
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:50 am
    Location: Antioch, CA


  • Zowert wrote:They attempted one pass play before the hail mary. They should have went for one large gain, called a timeout then kicked a field goal.


    It took them 4 seconds to get what 5-8 yards on the first pass play. You think they had time for another 15 yards? NO WAY
    ceej22
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 208
    Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:36 pm


  • Holy shit man, why is this still being discussed.. Does the term move along mean anything?
    Image

    R.I.P. Brother Les, I'll always know you as Pithy Radish.
    User avatar
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 23791
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:38 pm
    Location: NFL WORLD CHAMPIONS 2013-2014


  • Jerhawk wrote:Well, some kid at my old high school here in Spokane made a 67 yard field goal.



    become his friend
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3389
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


  • Jerhawk wrote:Well, some kid at my old high school here in Spokane made a 67 yard field goal.

    If some 17 year old kid can make a 67 yard field goal, why can't a 38 year old make a 65 yarder?

    Well, it's all in the past now. We already had one hail mary this season, I suppose that was enough


    The kid in your highschool used a tee. Not to mention the fact that he didn't have to kick over a NFL size defensive line.
    QuickLightning
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 117
    Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:20 am


  • olyfan63 wrote:Greg Zeurlein of the Rams I'd let try the 65-yarder, but nobody else in the league would even be close.
    It could have been interesting to line up like attempting a FG but then throw the Hail Mary. Except I think Jon Ryan is the holder. So there's the case for signing Tebow, right there. Line up for the FG, Tebow as the holder, either throw the Hail Mary to Tate/Rice for the win, or run it in himself, or maybe a throw to Tate on the left, then a 31-home-run-throwback to Tebow on the right. Actually make that first throw to Rice. And there's always the hook and ladder play back to the QB. (Remember the Dolphins hook-and-ladder that beat the Steelers?)


    I'd let Janikowski try it, he might have the strongest leg in the league. The Raiders even tried a 76 yarder, into the wind, with him a few years ago. He only kicked it to the 1 or 2 yard line, but that's still pretty good. Other than that, yeah. 65 yard FGs are something you only try if the conditions are all in your favor, and even then, its iffy.
    ----
    ensett
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1522
    Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:26 am


  • mikeak wrote:
    Jerhawk wrote:Well, some kid at my old high school here in Spokane made a 67 yard field goal.



    become his friend


    Ok, i'll do that thanks for posting your expert opinion
    No autographs please
    User avatar
    Jerhawk
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 327
    Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:39 am
    Location: Spokane, WA


  • Someone mentioned being in a dome would have extended his range. Domes only help with directional kicks, not with the distance.

    Longwell played in Minnesota several years, and his career long was still only 55.
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1155
    Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:00 pm


Next


It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:05 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information