Still hung-up on the 65-yard FG attempt...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
The odds of making this are NO DIFFERENT than a Hail-Mary attempt.

Longwell's longest is 55 yards.
Could he connect and get one 30 feet longer ??
Maybe......
Indoors,
No weather elements to factor in ??
Kick-offs ~ (from a tee, I know) ....spotted from the 35 to the endzone = 65 yards
I know this is different, but he was putting this balls CLOSE to th endzone on kick-offs.
He's been in the league for how long ??
.....give him a shot !!
What did we bring him in for ??
.....60 yard kick-offs to the 5 yard line, I guess ????? :229031_banghead:

Pstark3

Reaction score
Kickoffs are pretty different than field goals.. 65 yarder has a huge chance to get blocked, and an even bigger chance to come up short

themunn

Reaction score
The odds of making it?

How many 65 yard field goals have you seen made in the NFL?
Because I KNOW I've seen more successful Hail Marys

roiyair

Reaction score
Kickers who can make 65 yarders are not unemployed in January. Maybe if it were Hauchska, but even then I dont think the chances are higher then a hail mary... Anyway, never an option with Longwell.

OP
OP
glowingeyedseahawk
Reaction score
Pstark3":q8sxwv5c said:
Kickoffs are pretty different than field goals.. 65 yarder has a huge chance to get blocked, and an even bigger chance to come up short

So, what you're saying is the HAIL-MARY pass has a huge chance to get blocked (down), and an even bigger chance to come up short !!??

:hmmmm: hmmmmm, different odds for sure !!??
lol

CaptainSkybeard

Reaction score
The difficulty is exponentially higher the farther away.

From 60 is probably 4 times more likely, and 55 is twice as likely at that.

55 would have been the closest I'd feel ok about without having a top 10 kicker.

If we had that kid from St Louis 65 might be worth it.

OP
OP
glowingeyedseahawk
Reaction score
The record is 63 yards (I believe) Tom Dempsey, 1970 & Broncos' kickers just a few years ago, right ??

Why did their coaches send them out there to attempt such a long (and never tried before) FG attempt ??
....to just TRY and see what happens !!??

Those were both made successfully OUTSIDE.
Longwell has the ability to make a FG (30 FEET) longer than his previous longest attempt !!
(inside, no less)

sutz

Reaction score
Odds of a hail mary succeeding: slim
Odds of a 65 yd FG succeeding: none

Whats the current NFL record? IIRC it's still 63 yds.

:229031_shrug:

Tezz

Reaction score
I believe I heard it was actually 67 yards if we would have attempted the kick. I don't know about you, but I trust Russ to make a deep play more than I trust Longwell (who was unemployed until we picked him up for the game) to make a 67 yarder. And we can play coulda woulda shoulda all day, but it's not going to change anything. We took a shot with the guy coach thought had the best shot at making a play for us, and it didn't pan out. That's just the way it works out sometimes. Just my two cents.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
It would have come up short. That has been one of the main knocks on Longwell in recent seasons: he lost his range. He hasn't even attempted much over 50. That's part of the reason he was available.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
If we had attempted a 65 yard field goal for the win I would want Russell Wilson to do the honors.

OP
OP
glowingeyedseahawk
Reaction score
...just a silly question to all of this...

What are the rules for the offensive team of scoring off a short FG attempt ??
I know the defense has a chance to return a short FG - if caught in the air and returned like a punt.
Can the offense score on a FG that is "popped-up" - caught in the air, like a pass, and run into the endzone ??
Crazy I know, ....just asking ?? :stirthepot:

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
A 1% hail mary is still better odds than a 0% 65 yard field goal. Don't bother thinking about it anymore, that fg wasnt physically possible

getnasty

Reaction score
So you want a guy who has played 16 years and never made a FG longer then 55 yards to come off the couch and kick a 65 yarder. I'll take my chances with Golden Tate.

Sprfunk

Reaction score
Because if he had called a FG it would have missed short 15 yards, and then you would say "why didnt we throw a hail mary, Russ was on fire, and Golden knows how to get them."

Not to mention kickers test their leg before the game. Coaches know how long their leg is that day and call kicks accordingly. If he didnt make any that far in practice vs noone how do you think its a great idea to send him out there with the game on the line?

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Well, the records (and I believe three people are tied with 63) were all outside if I recall correctly. At least two were - one in Denver and one in Tennessee, no? Sure, he hasn't kicked one that long before, but he's got a few factors on his side: it's inside, it's for the win in the playoffs, it's for a record. Don't think his adrenalin wouldn't propel that sucker a few more feet than normal. I'd have loved to see them try.

OP
OP
glowingeyedseahawk
Reaction score
Sprfunk":2jd8lhwn said:
Because if he had called a FG it would have missed short 15 yards, and then you would say "why didnt we throw a hail mary, Russ was on fire, and Golden knows how to get them."

Not to mention kickers test their leg before the game. Coaches know how long their leg is that day and call kicks accordingly. If he didnt make any that far in practice vs noone how do you think its a great idea to send him out there with the game on the line?

I love being an "armchair coach" but I don't think I would've cryin' about NOT throwing the hail-mary to Golden....

Fact is - a better 1st half performance...along with Russell's 4th quarter heroics, PLUS our D's final 31 second meltdown....
and they'd be no need for a hail-mary or 65 FG to win it !!??

To win a championship, you can't play a divisional game for only 2 quarters and still win.... (maybe, with some luck)
Mistakes cost us this game......not the hail-mary or 65 yarder.

The future is BRIGHT and we'll learn from these mistakes ~ NEXT YEAR.

Status
Not open for further replies.