Badass Pass Rushers... FA or Draft?

BlueThunder

Reaction score
Who are the players out there to fix probably our biggest problem? Lack of pass rush cost us a few games this year, including the big one last weekend. Who's out there that everybody is lusting over that we can land for next year?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
We need a D-lineman that eats double teams every down, like Justin Smith. That's what will make our existing pass rushers get elite numbers.

suppaball

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3s9xgf46 said:
We need a D-lineman that eats double teams every down, like Justin Smith. That's what will make our existing pass rushers get elite numbers.
This. We need a big Warren Sapp type eating up the middle. Allowing Clemons and Irving to run free.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Here's what we know:

-We might be losing Alan Branch
-There's like a half-dozen guys in FA who pulled 8-10 sacks each last season
-Bruce Irvin is going to get a more deliberate look at being the LEO with Clemons out
-Our DLine hasn't been the same "Revis Island" RB redex since we were @SF halfway through this season
-Dan Quinn is back and he was one of the people who oversaw the innovation of the Red Bryant DE experiment and the initial stages of our rise to a once vicious run defense

Personally, I'm excited to see how our guys handle these variables and what it will all add up to.

Hamhawk

Reaction score
suppaball":qqvos0wv said:
RolandDeschain":qqvos0wv said:
This. We need a big Warren Sapp type eating up the middle. Allowing Clemons and Irving to run free.
:13: we need another Cortez in the middle,...too bad players like him only come around once a decade or so, and a franchise's odds of being in position to get them are slim,..

scutterhawk

Reaction score
BlueThunder":1izelqs5 said:
Who are the players out there to fix probably our biggest problem? Lack of pass rush cost us a few games this year, including the big one last weekend. Who's out there that everybody is lusting over that we can land for next year?
With some FA out there we might find and fix our PR woes, but I believe it would only be good for short term, so I'm hopeing we can find that solution to the PR through the Draft that can be groomed for the longer run....so I think we need BOTH FA, and Draft.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
To me, it seems like drafting a high level DT is more of a crapshoot than WR, so I air on the side if grabbing a proven DT in free agency and grabbing a stud WR in round 1. Also, we can win w the same offense...however it is imperative that we improve our front 4 or we lose next year also.

I like Melton the best, and then draft that freak Jr. WR from Tennessee...Cordarelle something or other. Loved the film on him. Percy Harvin + a couple inches. That frees up a spot also because he can replace Leon as a returner.

That combo of transactions puts us over the top, for years to come.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
We need a combination of both. We do have 10 draft picks. TEN. We should be able to package a few drafts and trade up a bit to select a few good ones + a big Receiver. We might select a good QB as well and sign a decent backup like David Garrard or Matt Moore.

McGruff

Reaction score
I expect the team to approach pass rushers the same way we approached QB's . . . Sign one or two, draft one or two, let the competition begin.

Michael Johnson
Paul Kruger
Michael Bennett

joeshaney

Reaction score
scutterhawk":241pjfkt said:
BlueThunder":241pjfkt said:
With some FA out there we might find and fix our PR woes, but I believe it would only be good for short term, so I'm hopeing we can find that solution to the PR through the Draft that can be groomed for the longer run....so I think we need BOTH FA, and Draft.

This! Henry Melton and resign Branch, Let Jones walk. Draft a weak side linebacker with pass rush skill and sign a decent midlevel free agent defensive end for insurance.

Much to everyone's surprise....Bruce Irvin will get a lot better next year and Chris Clemons will not miss any games.

McGruff

Reaction score
Even if Clemons plays the whole season, he'll be a 32 year old DE coming off reconstructive knee surgery.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Finding a way to acquire Suh would be a big thing. He'd make everybody on the front look better. I know it's a pipe dream, but if we had to go get one player to help out our pass rush, I think I'd get him. Of course a guy like Watt would make a tremendous difference since he's such a great DE, but I think it all starts in the middle. When Tez was in the middle, Sinclair and McCrary seemed unstoppable at times, and it was because the dude in the middle was pulling triple teams and also getting to the QB. So find Suh's clone in the draft and you're set. :)

I think Star Lutuleilei has a pretty bright future if he can stay motivated, but Okoye was going to be the next dominant DL a few years ago and has just been hurt and bounced around. I'd rather trade for a known quantity (even if you have to overpay a little) than try to move up in the draft for an unknown. I think we're at the point in this team's development where you have to make those one or two moves to push you over the hump. Ruskell actually did that for the 2005 team in moving up to snag Tatupu, drafting Leroy Hill, signing Dyson, and signing Jurevicious. He was good at spotting the weak spots. We have some weaknesses and need to do whatever we can to get that line playing well. I think the hiring of Quinn was a good start for sure.

joeshaney

Reaction score
McGruff":1gyoamlm said:
Even if Clemons plays the whole season, he'll be a 32 year old DE coming off reconstructive knee surgery.

This sounds eerily similar to what Patrick Kerney went through the year before he was runner up for defensive player of the year. The only difference is that Clemons has played far less snaps at this point in his career than Kerney had.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
SharkHawk":2f111ky0 said:
Finding a way to acquire Suh would be a big thing. He'd make everybody on the front look better. I know it's a pipe dream, but if we had to go get one player to help out our pass rush, I think I'd get him. Of course a guy like Watt would make a tremendous difference since he's such a great DE, but I think it all starts in the middle. When Tez was in the middle, Sinclair and McCrary seemed unstoppable at times, and it was because the dude in the middle was pulling triple teams and also getting to the QB. So find Suh's clone in the draft and you're set. :)

I think Star Lutuleilei has a pretty bright future if he can stay motivated, but Okoye was going to be the next dominant DL a few years ago and has just been hurt and bounced around. I'd rather trade for a known quantity (even if you have to overpay a little) than try to move up in the draft for an unknown. I think we're at the point in this team's development where you have to make those one or two moves to push you over the hump. Ruskell actually did that for the 2005 team in moving up to snag Tatupu, drafting Leroy Hill, signing Dyson, and signing Jurevicious. He was good at spotting the weak spots. We have some weaknesses and need to do whatever we can to get that line playing well. I think the hiring of Quinn was a good start for sure.

AHEM! I'd much rather have a Tez -in his prrime- clone than a Suh clone.

Latest posts