Seahawks Salary Cap, How much room?

Zowert

Reaction score
Right now the Seahawks don't look like they have any trouble keeping some space under the team's salary cap. But with all the talent coming in and rookie contracts that will inevitably expire. We'll end up having to pay these players more, or off-load some talent.

They have most of the Seahawks player salaries here:

http://www.sportscity.com/nfl/salaries/ ... -salaries/

It looks like its only missing the rookies like Bobby Wagner, Robert Turbin, Russell Wilson, etc.

Anyway, does anyone know what the cap level is and how much it goes up every year? I have a feeling that in another 2 or 3 years the Seahawks are going to be close to the cap limit. Especially when guys like Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor's rookie contracts expire. Chancellor and Sherman are making a little over a half million a season, while Earl Thomas is making $1.4 million. Most of our secondary will undoubtedly ask for bigger contracts. Especially Sherman, if he keeps performing the way he is.

Then we have Russell Wilson and Bobby Wagner after them. Who I am sure will be looking for a lot more money than they're getting now, on long term deals.

Sidney Rice ($9 million), Zach Miller ($7 million), Marshawn Lynch ($5.5 million) and Chris Clemons ($5.3 million) are the most expensive players right now. But who knows if they'll be around when rookie contracts start expiring.

Is there anyone that knows more about this stuff? Maybe someone that has better sources and is familiar with exactly how much space we have under the cap..? I'm bored and this idea just came to mind. The thought of having to cut some talented players loose to sign our future top players (Sherman, Thomas, Wilson, Wagner) is bothering me. I was hoping we have a TON of space to keep everyone. But I guess it depends how good these players are in the next couple seasons and how much they're asking for.

Thanks..

salukihawk12

Reaction score
Follow @DavisHsuSeattle on Twitter. He's awesome. Everything you need to know on the cap including some amazing and helpful insight .

OP
OP
Zowert

Zowert

Reaction score
salukihawk12":3huxli81 said:
Follow @DavisHsuSeattle on Twitter. He's awesome. Everything you need to know on the cap including some amazing and helpful insight .

Sweet, thanks for that. I was wondering where I could find more information on this stuff.

Treefiddy

Reaction score
Players can also restructure and the money wizards can make it work for the most part. We may lose one or two players but it's not like it will be a mass exodus.

Shock2k

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":17txwm20 said:
http://www.sportac.com is a much better, more thorough site for cap information.

According to Clayton the Hawks have 18.6 million in cap space for 2013. I believe it is 9th most in the league at this time.

Did you bait and switch me on that link?

salukihawk12

Reaction score
One thing I am now convinced on is that moving Flynn this year will probably help us keep the 'band all together'. His salary difference plus rollover into next year's cap could be difference between signing Kam or Tate or the like. I really wanted Flynn to stay, given the importance of a backup QB, but not at the expense of losing Kam.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Shock2k":1mxqliho said:
IBleedBlueAndGreen":1mxqliho said:
http://www.sportac.com is a much better, more thorough site for cap information.

According to Clayton the Hawks have 18.6 million in cap space for 2013. I believe it is 9th most in the league at this time.

Sorry, not intentionally. I was responding to two separate portions of the original post. For general information, spotrac.com has very good salary cap and contract information. Unrelated, Clayton says we have $18.5 million in cap room (see the link in the post directly above this one).

My bad.

drdiags

Reaction score
Zowert":et4m33dj said:

Then we have Russell Wilson and Bobby Wagner after them. Who I am sure will be looking for a lot more money than they're getting now, on long term deals.

....The thought of having to cut some talented players loose to sign our future top players (Sherman, Thomas, Wilson, Wagner) is bothering me...

It has been pointed out in other threads about Wilson, but the Seahawks nor Wilson/Wagner can do anything about the contracts until after their 3rd year. By then, I would suspect Rice/Miller to have different looking contracts or possibly not still be with the team. Earl could be redone since this was his 3rd yr and Sherman next year will be his 3rd. Since both signed under the old CBA, not crystal clear to me if their current deals fit under the old or new restrictions.

EDIT: Sherman was signed under the new CBA (how could I forget the lockout drama of last year?). Better look at your link again to see exactly when his deal is up. Probably signed a 3 yr deal as a 5th round pick.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Right now we sit at 12th for cap space. I I have heard 18-23 free, i do'nt know what is really correct as it seems a bit fluid. I believe it depends on what they have worked out with players but not announced.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Happypuppy":1z6ouidy said:
Right now we sit at 12th for cap space. I I have heard 18-23 free, i do'nt know what is really correct as it seems a bit fluid. I believe it depends on what they have worked out with players but not announced.

I think that number will diminish as training camp approaches. You know there will be 3-4 players that Pete and John will try to lock up with contract extensions.........like they did last year with Lynch and Clem.

CANHawk

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":3ucs0voe said:
Shock2k":3ucs0voe said:
IBleedBlueAndGreen":3ucs0voe said:

Sorry, not intentionally. I was responding to two separate portions of the original post. For general information, spotrac.com has very good salary cap and contract information. Unrelated, Clayton says we have $18.5 million in cap room (see the link in the post directly above this one).

My bad.

That and he thinks you'd look really good in leather... ;)

Maybe try this one instead: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/

Latest posts