How good was our D-Line under Quinn?

Axx

Reaction score
I didnt really keep up with the Hawks from 09-11 for personal reasons (I didnt think they were playoff ready) so i didnt really watch many of there games and its even harder to watch there games when you live in Texas. All they show here are the Cowboy games.

So my question was, when did Quinn coach our D-line, how good were they, and what different personnel did they use back then compared to what personnel he will get this time around?

lukerguy

Reaction score
Not sure, but he had one of the best D-Lines in college football. Great against the run, and at getting to the passer.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
That was when the D started to turn around, and it started with our D-line. Quinn is a solid coach, and I was seriously bummed when he left.

Fox0r

Reaction score
28 sacks as a team in 2009. Patrick Kerney was our #1 PR with 5 sacks on the year.
37 sacks as a team in 2010. Chris Clemons was our #1 PR with 11 sacks on the year. Raheem Brock was #2 with 9.
33 sacks as a team in 2011. Chris Clemons was our #1 PR with 11 sacks. No one else had more than 4.

Dang...we only had 36 sacks in 2012. Not much improvement. By comparison, the 2005 team had 47 sacks on the year.

#1 team in the NFL this year had 52 sacks on the year.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Quinn wasn't exactly working with superstars. He was getting good production out of guys that were overlooked elsewhere or assumed to be done. He's a good coach.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Fox0r":2pz275un said:
28 sacks as a team in 2009. Patrick Kerney was our #1 PR with 5 sacks on the year.
37 sacks as a team in 2010. Chris Clemons was our #1 PR with 11 sacks on the year. Raheem Brock was #2 with 9.
33 sacks as a team in 2011. Chris Clemons was our #1 PR with 11 sacks. No one else had more than 4.

Dang...we only had 36 sacks in 2012. Not much improvement. By comparison, the 2005 team had 47 sacks on the year.

#1 team in the NFL this year had 52 sacks on the year.

The secondary in 2009 and 2010 wasn't nearly as good as it is now, though. I doubt very many of those sacks were coverage sacks.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
How scary could this team be, if it had a pass rush? How good could this team be, if it was much improved on 3rd and long?

chris98251

Reaction score
With Quinn he took Clemons and made him a pass rusher, Brock had the best year of his career and at a elevated age as far as DE's are concerned, moved Red to be the run stuffing end. They guy has that ability to make guys better quickly. We drafted some guys since he left in Scruggs and Irvin that played and were ok to respectable as rookies. Now with him back I wonder and if it is more the coensidence that the statement Pete made about pass rushers and his hiring if the biggest improvement we see will be there once again. It will be scary indeed if QB's are having to hurry and throw a ball up for grabs with our secondary routinely.

The Outfield

Reaction score
chris98251":aclv9kbb said:
With Quinn he took Clemons and made him a pass rusher, Brock had the best year of his career and at a elevated age as far as DE's are concerned, moved Red to be the run stuffing end. They guy has that ability to make guys better quickly. We drafted some guys since he left in Scruggs and Irvin that played and were ok to respectable as rookies. Now with him back I wonder and if it is more the coensidence that the statement Pete made about pass rushers and his hiring if the biggest improvement we see will be there once again. It will be scary indeed if QB's are having to hurry and throw a ball up for grabs with our secondary routinely.
Dang, it's posts like this that make me salivate about next season.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
gw232":2ie2udok said:
chris98251":2ie2udok said:
Dang, it's posts like this that make me salivate about next season.

'Slurp!'

kearly

Reaction score
In addition to the magic Quinn worked in 2010 (Clemons, Brock, Bryant, etc), he also brought in Michael Bennett as a UDFA after the 2009 draft. Unfortunately, Mora/Ruskell weren't smart enough to keep Bennett and he became a star for Tampa. Bennett is scheduled to be a free agent in March.

canfan

Reaction score
Who's left from the line that Quinn worked with? I know Red, Clem and Mebane were here then, but is there any others left from that group that I'm missing?

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
I was hoping for more from Irvin this year frankly. I know it was probably unrealistic to bring the kid in his rookie Season with such high expectations, but isn’t that why we spent the pick? IMO he needs to bulk up a little bit. We need a book end for a healthy Clemons! That will take care of the edges and then we can focus on getting Red healthy or bringing in some new blood to compete for that position. With Mebane and either Red or a similar sized run stopper next door then you can really concentrate on the pass rush.

Largent80

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":1y7iq7ym said:
I was hoping for more from Irvin this year frankly. IMO he needs to bulk up a little bit.

We said that about Tatupu as well and how did that turn out?