Bevell signs extension to stay Hawks OC

lukerguy

Reaction score
Glen Peer ‏@weekapaug009
Arians to AZ…Bevell stays on Seattle
Expand Reply Retweeted Favorite More

Seahawks Offense - TM - Seahawks

The Seahawks signed offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell to a contract extension.
Bevell was a candidate for the Arizona head-coaching vacancy, but he withdrew his name after re-upping in Seattle. The details of the extension are unknown, but it's a good keep for Seattle after losing defensive coordinator Gus Bradley to the Jaguars on Thursday. The Seahawks ranked No. 17 in total offense this season, but the unit really trended up after Russell Wilson found his stride.
Source: ESPN.com
Jan 17 - 9:04 PM

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Good. It is best for Wilson to have the same O-coordinator two years in a row, and for us to not have to have 2 new coordinators.

Regardless of whether you like Bevell or not, this is the best thing for our Offense right now.

Sac

Reaction score
I dig it. Hopefully Wilson will have a little more say so in the play calling and freedom to audible at the line.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I have questioned the way we handcuffed Wilson early in the season, and even had some issues early in games later in the season, but I do think they are learning each other and another year of continuity should be a positive thing for both of them.

Decimation

Reaction score
Good.

Honestly, I like Bevell. He has questionable play calls every now and then but all in all I think he's a solid OC.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
kidhawk":3eqy98e7 said:
I have questioned the way we handcuffed Wilson early in the season, and even had some issues early in games later in the season, but I do think they are learning each other and another year of continuity should be a positive thing for both of them.

PC said many times it was him that kept the leash on Wilson. Bevell answers to PC.

VancitySeahawk

Reaction score
According to ESPN Bevell received a contract extension and a raise. He accepted and withdrew from the Arizona coaching race.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Fantastic! I like Bevell and felt he grew tremendously as a playcaller as he and Russ gained trust in each other. Bevell got pretty much shafted in Minnesota and didn't get a legit shot. Remember they had others who felt they knew everything that were calling plays (Childress and Favre doing whatever he wanted). Bevell is an intelligent guy. Those of us who saw him in college saw a player who was smart, was able to read defenses, adjusted well, and now has a QB that has a similar brain, but has more physical tools. Russell and Bevell make a great combo and just seeing them bounce ideas off of each other all offseason would be a real treat, because I think they are going to come up with an offense TOGETHER that is even better. Russell is going to get a lot of audible options this offseason to run next year too, which will make the offense more lethal. Continuity = good, especially when the guy can call a good game.

Hawksfanatik

Reaction score
VancitySeahawk":3gwtu2lr said:
According to ESPN Bevell received a contract extension and a raise. He accepted and withdrew from the Arizona coaching race.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8...bruce-arians-head-coach-according-team-source

Yep. Bevell withdrew after being given a contract extension.

GOOD. I don't want to lose both coordinators in one offseason. Our offense improved as the season went on.

I am very happy going into 2013 with Bevell and Dan Quinn. I think Quinn was a great hire. OPTIMISM! :0190l:

HawkFan72

Reaction score
VancitySeahawk":2ew6ah6j said:

Atta boy, Paul.

chris98251

Reaction score
Oh the nice things that can happen when you have a Bllionaire as an owner.

JerHawk81

Reaction score
A very good move! I thought Bevell was below average early this year, but first - that was more Pete than Bevell, and second - I was wrong.

He's not a mad genius, but he had a good year and I'm happy to have him back.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Very excited to see an extension, really pumped to see what he and Russell can do again next season.

pehawk

Reaction score
JerHawk81":37l8e49c said:
A very good move! I thought Bevell was below average early this year, but first - that was more Pete than Bevell, and second - I was wrong.

He's not a mad genius, but he had a good year and I'm happy to have him back.

Kind of where I'm at. But, I never want to see; 1st and Goal inside the 5 and throw three times (Skins) or 3rd and 4th n 1...and Lynch doesn't get the ball (duh, Atl).

I'm totally willing to chalk up any of my concerns to Pete being conservative and/or an offense adjusting to their QB being best player.

kearly

Reaction score
I think Bevell deserves a lot of credit. Most teams that run read-option in the NFL commit to it fairly strictly (SF with Kaepernick, Carolina, Washington, etc), and the offenses they run are very obviously dumbed down. Late in the season I thought Bevell did an awesome job of mixing read option with a traditional offense. The result was a whole lot of games over 400 or even 500 total yards. People talk about playcalling/predictability but that is just one aspect of what an OC brings to a team. How that OC fits the existing talent is what is most important, and Bevell fits it perfectly. And for the record, I think Bevell's playcalling is just fine. Most of the crying over his playcalling comes in brutal losses where the offense did it's job and the defense didn't, and MMQB'ing takes over.

Sure, Wilson made Bevell and not the other way around, but I'm fine with that. At the end of the day Bevell may not be the greatest OC in the game, but he fits Wilson as well as anyone would. If Andy Reid or Jon Gruden came in to run our offense, I don't think it would be a whole lot better, simply because Wilson and Bevell seem to have developed chemistry working together.

Latest posts