Is Russell Wilson the greatest Rookie of all time?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • Has their ever been any rookie that has shattered expectations better than Russell? I can't think of anyone else who has had a better rookie season in the NFL.
    strohmin
    NET Starter

• I can give you one this season who had a better year. But #2 he might have a case
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

• therealjohncarlson wrote:I can give you one this season who had a better year. But #2 he might have a case

Who? RG3? :lol:
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• SmokinHawk wrote:
    therealjohncarlson wrote:I can give you one this season who had a better year. But #2 he might have a case

Well yes... I believe Russell will be the better QB in the long-run and I would choose Wison straight up every damn time but RG3 had the better regular season
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

• aarrrrrggg.. really starting to not like the bob griffin guy... screwing up everything.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• therealjohncarlson wrote:
    SmokinHawk wrote:
    therealjohncarlson wrote:I can give you one this season who had a better year. But #2 he might have a case

Well yes... I believe Russell will be the better QB in the long-run and I would choose Wison straight up every damn time but RG3 had the better regular season

Sure, aside from total touchdowns scored, touchdown passes, touchdowns to turnovers margin, wins and losses, you know, the important things, RGIII had a better season.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• RG3 had his college offense installed, a full pre-season and set of camps to work with, and still had half his passing yards come from screens and shovels to the running back. Give me a break, Wilson smoked RG3 in the real world.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• You could make pretty convincing arguments for Eric Dickerson, Lawrence Taylor, Gale Sayers, Randy Moss, and even Cam Newton's year last season.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

SmokinHawk wrote:

:pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface: Man you are far too caught up in what the media spoon feeds you. But you are entitled to your opinion even when it is wrong and unsustainable. :D

However to the OP still dont know if "all time" can be claimed, but pretty damn good and certainly the best in a lot of years.
    Member of 38 Plus club. Seahawks + PC/JS + Russell Wilson = Superbowl XLVIII +
    rainger
    NET Veteran

• I wonder if you took a poll on an unbaised site of whom would have the better overall career (wilson vs. rg3) who would win?

Personally I wouldn't be at all surprised if RG3 had a terrible sophomore year especially with that injury.

It would really surprise me if Wilson had a bad year.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

SmokinHawk wrote:

but the question isn't "did he have the best regular season of any rookie ever"

The question is "is he the best ever rookie"
    I don't know if it's true, but he definitely had the best season of any rookie... because when the playoffs rolled around he was still by all intents and purposes a rookie

Night Train lane setting the single season record (that still stands) with 14 interceptions in his rookie year probably wins it, even if it predates the superbowl. 14 interceptions in 12 games. insane
    themunn
    NET Veteran

SmokinHawk wrote:

Based on what stats did Robert Griffin have a better season? Russell threw more TDs, scored more TDs overall, beat numerous defenses ranked in the top 10 (a couple of them on 4th quarter comebacks), and otherwise transformed an inept Seahawks offense into a borderline dominant powerhouse.

Griffin was stupid in how he handled himself on the football field and took his entire team down with him. That alone tells me RW was the better player this season.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• Man, Cam Newton's rookie year last year was pretty amazing. I dunno. You could probably make a decent argument for a dozen or so guys.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

SmokinHawk wrote:

what a DOLT, hows that knee holding up... lol

so getting a knee injury and not winning in the playoffs while breaking rookie playoff records is what you call premiere play?

troll@12o'clock
    GO HAWKS!!!
    Twisted
    NET Veteran

• you can argue RG is the same caliber player all day long, but claiming RG had the same or better year than RW when RG received a SERIOUS injury late in the season? nah, not gonna work in anyones book...
    GO HAWKS!!!
    Twisted
    NET Veteran

• themunn wrote:Night Train lane setting the single season record (that still stands) with 14 interceptions in his rookie year probably wins it, even if it predates the superbowl. 14 interceptions in 12 games. insane

Yea, I'd have to say that's probably a better rookie season, even if it isn't really comparing apples to apples, or even oranges, as they were not only different positions, different sides of the ball, but different eras. Still, even by today's standards, that is absolutely incredible.

And if that's the comparison to find a better rookie season than Wilson's, I'll take it in a New York minute.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• I call it a push if you're talking only about the regular season. Don't get me wrong, Wilson appears to be the better player but the better players don't always have the better seasons.
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran

• Short answer: Yes. Obviously.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• Cam last year was a better year.
    TJH
    *NET #1 Sherman Fan*

• Wilson was #1 all time in DYAR among rookies (since at least 1991). 25% higher than Griffin. Griffin's raw numbers were just barely better, but factor strength of defenses faced and Wilson wins. What's really striking about that is how DYAR is a counting stat that heavily favors players who see the ball more. Seattle had the league's lowest pass percentage. Even when factoring Wilson's runs, very few QBs had fewer chances to build up DYAR than Wilson did, and he still ran away with it among the rookie QBs.

I really believe that if our defense doesn't crater at the end of that Falcons' game, Wilson is winning it all this year and becomes the first rookie to do it. That was the hardest part of that loss.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• IBleedBlueAndGreen wrote:http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/09000d5d8291c6ed#photo=1

That list lost credibility when it included Peyton Manning. 3-13 as a starter, and 28 interceptions can't be excused away. Turnovers lose games, and most efficiency formulas weigh interceptions much heavier than touchdowns. Something like a 10/11 TD/INT ratio is way better than Manning's 26/28 that year, because interceptions carry so much negative value compared to touchdowns.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• kearly wrote:
    IBleedBlueAndGreen wrote:http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/09000d5d8291c6ed#photo=1

That list lost credibility when it included Peyton Manning. 3-13 as a starter, and 28 interceptions can't be excused away. Turnovers lose games, and most efficiency formulas weigh interceptions much heavier than touchdowns. Something like a 10/11 TD/INT ratio is way better than Manning's 26/28 that year, because interceptions carry so much negative value compared to touchdowns.

You do realize you just made an argument for RGIII right? After all, RGIII had 5 fewer interceptions and RW only had 6 more TD's.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

• SacHawk2.0 wrote:
    kearly wrote:
    IBleedBlueAndGreen wrote:http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/09000d5d8291c6ed#photo=1

You do realize you just made an argument for RGIII right? After all, RGIII had 5 fewer interceptions and RW only had 6 more TD's.

Not really. Wilson set the TD/INT ratio for rookies at +16 this year, better than RGIII. Besides, while RGIII only had two lost fumbles, he had a crap-ton more that were recovered by his team. And since fumbles are really a toss of the dice if you get them back or not, I'd say that factors into things. When you look at TDs (pass and run) compared to fumbles+interceptions, Wilson's case looks a damn sight stronger than RGIII's.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

SmokinHawk wrote:

He had fewer TD'd than Wilson ,AND Wilson has shown that he has more upside, so, next?
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• Hawknballs wrote:I wonder if you took a poll on an unbaised site of whom would have the better overall career (wilson vs. rg3) who would win?

Personally I wouldn't be at all surprised if RG3 had a terrible sophomore year especially with that injury.

It would really surprise me if Wilson had a bad year.

Most people would probably pick Wilson to have a better season next year, but mostly because of Bobby 3-Sticks injury and not because of potential ability.
    Austin Hawk
    NET Veteran

• RG3? Led his team to a mediocre 9-7 record, backed into the playoffs, and lost his first playoff game. Struggled with injuries, missed 1 full game and was behind in the Baltimore game, which Kirk Cousins was able to salvage. Then permanently destroyed his knee in his first-ever playoff loss. Not impressive when compared with other great rookies.

Eric Dickerson, Lawrence Taylor, Barry Sanders, Jim Brown and Dan Marino were all better rookies with greater impact on the NFL than RG3.

He's not even the best rookie QB of all time. That would be Dan Marino.

Dan Marino only played 9 games his rookie season, made the Pro Bowl, set like 6 records, threw for 2200 yards and 20 TDs, and lit up the NFL. He only lost 2 games as a rookie, took his team to 12-4 and won the AFC East. I remember his rookie season very well because I also remember watching the Seahawks beat him at Miami in the playoffs. He still put up a better fight than RG3, throwing for 2 TDs and keeping every Seattle fan on the edge of their seats. Thank god for another rookie phenom, Curt Warner!

Marino's first full season he threw for 5100 yards, 48 TDs and took his team to the SuperBowl. He didn't throw for less than 4000 yards in any of his first 3 full seasons. Watching him play was like seeing a grown man play football against a bunch of kids. He just destroyed defenses. RG3 has never played at that level, not even in college.

Oh, and Russell Wilson was great, but still not as great as Marino. Sorry. But I think he'll be better over the long haul and will actually win a SuperBowl.
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran

• Seahawk Sailor wrote:Not really. Wilson set the TD/INT ratio for rookies at +16 this year, better than RGIII. Besides, while RGIII only had two lost fumbles, he had a crap-ton more that were recovered by his team. And since fumbles are really a toss of the dice if you get them back or not, I'd say that factors into things. When you look at TDs (pass and run) compared to fumbles+interceptions, Wilson's case looks a damn sight stronger than RGIII's.

I don't think you understand the difference between differential and ratio.

RGIII had a 4:1 TD:INT ratio to Russell Wilson's 2.6:1, so if interceptions carry a more "negative weight" than TDs do "positive weight", then that's absolutely a better indicator.
    Especially as his 7 rushing TDs take him to 27 total TDs compared to Wilson's but only 7 total turnovers compared to Wilson's 13.

I still think Wilson had the better season by means of the fact that he was running a more advanced offense with receivers who get nowhere near the amount of separation that Garcon/Moss/Morgan do.
    Last edited by themunn on Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
    themunn
    NET Veteran

• HansGruber wrote:RG3? Led his team to a mediocre 9-7 record, backed into the playoffs, and lost his first playoff game. Struggled with injuries, missed 1 full game and was behind in the Baltimore game, which Kirk Cousins was able to salvage. Then permanently destroyed his knee in his first-ever playoff loss. Not impressive when compared with other great rookies.

Eric Dickerson, Lawrence Taylor, Barry Sanders, Jim Brown and Dan Marino were all better rookies with greater impact on the NFL than RG3.

Dan Marino only played 9 games his rookie season, made the Pro Bowl, set like 6 records, threw for 2200 yards and 20 TDs, and lit up the NFL. He only lost 2 games as a rookie, took his team to 12-4 and won the AFC East. I remember his rookie season very well because I also remember watching the Seahawks beat him at Miami in the playoffs. He still put up a better fight than RG3, throwing for 2 TDs and keeping every Seattle fan on the edge of their seats. Thank god for another rookie phenom, Curt Warner!

Marino's first full season he threw for 5100 yards, 48 TDs and took his team to the SuperBowl. He didn't throw for less than 4000 yards in any of his first 3 full seasons. Watching him play was like seeing a grown man play football against a bunch of kids. He just destroyed defenses. RG3 has never played at that level, not even in college.

Oh, and Russell Wilson was great, but still not as great as Marino. Sorry. But I think he'll be better over the long haul and will actually win a SuperBowl.

Read your first sentence and realized you were fabricating data to make your point. Redskins were 10-6 not 9-7
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

• Greatest rookie, in Seahawks history, has to be Lofa Tatupu; captain MLB of a D that went to the Super Bowl.
    652cHAWK
    *Hawk Junk Junkie*
    *Hawk Junk Junkie*

• 652cHAWK wrote:Greatest rookie, in Seahawks history, has to be Lofa Tatupu; captain MLB of a D that went to the Super Bowl.

What rookie linebacker records did he tie or break? None? Wilson > Tatupu, and I love Tatupu and have his jersey.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    652cHAWK wrote:Greatest rookie, in Seahawks history, has to be Lofa Tatupu; captain MLB of a D that went to the Super Bowl.

What rookie linebacker records did he tie or break? None? Wilson > Tatupu, and I love Tatupu and have his jersey.

Definitely not going to argue with you there, since I don't see Lofa's name anywhere mentioned here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Seattle_Seahawks_records

What RW did for us, in his rookie year, was absolutely phenomenal. Now, we just need a MLB that can Captain this D to a Super Bowl, yet this time we come out with the W.
    652cHAWK
    *Hawk Junk Junkie*
    *Hawk Junk Junkie*

• 652cHAWK wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:
    652cHAWK wrote:Greatest rookie, in Seahawks history, has to be Lofa Tatupu; captain MLB of a D that went to the Super Bowl.

Definitely not going to argue with you there, since I don't see Lofa's name anywhere mentioned here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Seattle_Seahawks_records

What RW did for us, in his rookie year, was absolutely phenomenal. Now, we just need a MLB that can Captain this D to a Super Bowl, yet this time we come out with the W.

Lofa did some great things for the 2005 team. But I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Tubbs was more integral to our defensive success that season.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• I think RW had one of the best rookie season ever.

I would put Cam on the list but he didnt win many games. but that wasnt all his fault.

Without looking up some names(im tired, and a little drunk), i think Moss had a great rookie season that could rival RW's.

But in the case of a QB, RW did have the best season for a rookie ever.
    Fitz the Ram
    NET Rookie

HansGruber wrote:RG3? Led his team to a mediocre 9-7 record, backed into the playoffs, and lost his first playoff game. Struggled with injuries, missed 1 full game and was behind in the Baltimore game, which Kirk Cousins was able to salvage. Then permanently destroyed his knee in his first-ever playoff loss. Not impressive when compared with other great rookies.

Read your first sentence and realized you were fabricating data to make your point. Redskins were 10-6 not 9-7

That was an error, not a fabrication. If you don't understand the difference, please refrain from taking part in polite conversation with other adults. Your comment was insulting and pedantic without adding anything to the conversation, which is troll behavior.

And, there is no way Russell Wilson or RG3's rookie season was better than Dan Marino's. The only people who believe that are the people who didn't watch Marino play.
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran

• strohmin wrote:Has their ever been any rookie that has shattered expectations better than Russell? I can't think of anyone else who has had a better rookie season in the NFL.

If we are going by pure numbers only? No, not even close.

Cam Newton had the greatest rookie season I've ever seen. He had the passing yardage, rushing yardage and TD's.

I also think that people tend to forget that RG3 put up better numbers than RW, despite missing half of the Atlanta game and all the Browns game.

Also, RW was a non factor early in the year. He wasnt the reason they were winning games where as RG3 was directly responsibile for the Redskins winning and scoring points, since the defense was horrindous most of the year.
    rdskns4eva
    NET Rookie

• themunn wrote:
    Seahawk Sailor wrote:Not really. Wilson set the TD/INT ratio for rookies at +16 this year, better than RGIII. Besides, while RGIII only had two lost fumbles, he had a crap-ton more that were recovered by his team. And since fumbles are really a toss of the dice if you get them back or not, I'd say that factors into things. When you look at TDs (pass and run) compared to fumbles+interceptions, Wilson's case looks a damn sight stronger than RGIII's.

I don't think you understand the difference between differential and ratio.

RGIII had a 4:1 TD:INT ratio to Russell Wilson's 2.6:1, so if interceptions carry a more "negative weight" than TDs do "positive weight", then that's absolutely a better indicator.
    Especially as his 7 rushing TDs take him to 27 total TDs compared to Wilson's but only 7 total turnovers compared to Wilson's 13.

I still think Wilson had the better season by means of the fact that he was running a more advanced offense with receivers who get nowhere near the amount of separation that Garcon/Moss/Morgan do.

Sorry, yes differential. Still, semantic mistakes aside, my supposition still holds that fumbles (whether lost or not) are a key factor in a player's performance. The only thing that distinguishes lost fumbles from recovered fumbles is luck. And that puts those numbers in a far different perspective.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• There have been rookies with better years.. in this case it doesn't table a position.. so Adrian Peterson and Randy Moss immediately jump out to me.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:15 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information