FLYNN AND WILSON

zayden185

Reaction score
People talking about trading FLYNN

Can anyone tell me what the combined salaries are for say the top 5-10 teams in the league.

My point is, there is absolutely ZERO reason to trade the guy. We need a solid backup...and FLYNN can move around in pocket so wouldn't be an "black and white" drop off in the ungodly event he had to step in

At the most important position in the NFL...we have probably the least amount of Salary Cap tied to that position

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Pete and John are talking about it, my brother.
We need two pass rushers, possibly both in free agency. There is plenty of reason to talk about getting rid of Flynn's cap number.

kidhawk

Reaction score
zayden185":3s6mez0n said:
People talking about trading FLYNN

Can anyone tell me what the combined salaries are for say the top 5-10 teams in the league.

My point is, there is absolutely ZERO reason to trade the guy. We need a solid backup...and FLYNN can move around in pocket so wouldn't be an "black and white" drop off in the ungodly event he had to step in

At the most important position in the NFL...we have probably the least amount of Salary Cap tied to that position

I've said before that I'm all for Flynn staying, but if we can make the team better and keep the qb position in good shape with a trade, then I can see Schneider doing it.

In other words I don't believe we trade Flynn for financial reasons whatsoever. We will be open to trade possibilities as long as the end result we will retain a solid backup and improve another part of our team somehow. Otherwise we keep him around.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Also, because of our Zone- read play, PC expressed interest in having a backup who an do similar things.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
The problem with OP's logic is that you have to look at the financial burden of keeping Flynn on its own merit. He and Wilson aren't a package deal, so you have to look at Flynn on his own and access whether having him as a backup is worth the money tied up to him and the potential deal we could get by trading him.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Who cares how other teams mismanage their cap? It's about using your cap in the best way possible and paying or keeping starters is a better use than paying a back up who may never see the field.

I would love to keep Flynn but not at the cost of losing or missing a player they can contribute consistently.

The Radish

Reaction score
I'm sure glad someone brought this up. It hasn't been discussed for at least 4 hours.

:141847_bnono:

OP
OP
Z

zayden185

Reaction score
The money was spent in signing bonus up front. That money is gone...all contracts are from loaded it seems.

There wasn't a market for him last year...and tht was without giving up picks!

Would YOU trade for Flynn...give up picks...and take his salary? His own offensive coordinator disnt even want him and had the chance

JKent82

Reaction score
Dang it we've still got a QB controversy.

You know what's better than paying league average for the QB position? Paying less than average.

We don't have to make a move since we aren't overpaying, but if we do trade Flynn it'll allow for flexibility few teams have. Perfect situation.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
zayden185":12a71g3l said:
The money was spent in signing bonus up front. That money is gone...all contracts are from loaded it seems.

There wasn't a market for him last year...and tht was without giving up picks!

Would YOU trade for Flynn...give up picks...and take his salary? His own offensive coordinator disnt even want him and had the chance

You mad bro?

CHawks4L

Reaction score
When you have a Front Office that can identify and develop talent, you have to churn the roster. Yes it's an awesome luxury to have Flynn to backup RW, but his value as draft stock may exceed the luxury of having him. Especially when we can get a suitable vet backup that is more inline with RW' style, and we can draft a project to be the long term backup.

hawkfan1975

Reaction score
Can go either way on this but I will provide one argument in (hopefully) retaining Flynn as backup: with our Oline against certain teams, combined with the amount (and benefits) of the scramble/run style involved with RW's play, it's quite possible an injury can occur (the likeliness factor widens). So I wouldn't mind retaining the QB who's quite good and more familiar with this current hawks organization. I think the tandem (at least one more year) is great for an honest run at the big dance.

But, based on what I've seen of Flynn, his salary, and increasing interest factor he could be gone. I just hope he'd be replaced with a just as interesting threat.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
zayden185":tlj7ybee said:
My point is, there is absolutely ZERO reason to trade the guy.

1.) if you can get a good draft pick, you trade him. This year quite a few teams need QB's. So if you can get something more this year than you think you can later, you pull the trigger, especially the way this FO drafts.

2.) If you clear his cap space this year, you'll have more room to re-negotiate currently signed players to long-term contracts. Example, want to lock Golden Tate up for 5 more years? Do it now with more room by clearing space. That way he's already sewn up the next couple/few years when you need to re-sign all your other young players. Depending on the contract structures of guys you re-negotiate, you can make it much easier on yourself in years to come by front-loading contracts while you have the cap space to do so.

3.) Detractor factor - do you want a guy sitting on the sidelines that's unhappy? Flynn is happy with his money I'm sure but he wants to be a starter. I'm not saying he's a bad guy or has a bad attitude but he's obviously not content. Why not bring someone in who will be a more motivated contributor?

4.) bring in a QB who's game is closer to the style wilson plays so the playbook for each QB doesn't need to be different.

Points #1 and 2 are huge enough reasons to trade him. Points 3 and 4 are minor but worth considering.

Saying there is 'no' reason to trade him is silly.

ceej22

Reaction score
JKent82":3m5bhs3f said:
You know what's better than paying league average for the QB position? Paying less than average.

This for so many reasons.

1. Extra cap space is now carried over to the next season.
2. We NEED pass rush. Both inside and out. This will either be addressed early in the draft or free agency. Either way it's likely to take a nice hit on the cap.
3. In just a couple years we are going to have some big time free agents and others looking for extensions. Refer to #1.
4. I know a lot will hate this and I hate myself for thinking it but Tebow. IF he were willing to come here (I expect he will be cut) it would clearly be in a backup role. This should take pressure off him as well as tone down the media hype. He has similar style to Wilson so the offense wouldn't have to change much.

If #1 didn't exist I would say keep him under nearly any circumstance. The only exception being if he had to cut him to get pass rush and hold onto some promising draft picks that would actually see playing time.

redhawk253

Reaction score
Im gona pretty much quote pete here.. If flynn requests a trade we would likely do that for him. They are already setting the stage n letting ither teams know hes available.. Flynn wants to start thats why he left green bay.. I dont care if some of you think 5.25 million isnt a bunch of money since rw isnt making a lot but it doesnt work that way you have to consider what that 5.25 could be used on instead of a guy sittin on the bench.. Mike wallace maybe? Any player thats actually going to see the field...

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
People keep saying this and miss the point why people say trading him shouldn't be ruled out.

If we can move him, you're saving around $7m in cap room in 2013. That might not make a difference too much this year, but each season under the new CBA teams are able to designate a sum of money to 'throw forward' to the following year. By theory, the more cap room available to throw forward, the more chance this team has of re-signing the likes of Earl Thomas, Russell Okung, Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor, K.J. Wright etc.

The saving of $7m this year would allow the team the luxury of throwing maximum cap room into 2014 while also making one or two free agent additions to fill needs. It's not about 'Oh... Flynn is on so much money!" It's more a case of... "Why not use that money in a more useful way?" We don't need a backup on that salary who is nothing like Russell Wilson - the starter. So why not put the money to better use?

Zowert

Reaction score
Who is going to trade for Matt Flynn though? The guy has been a backup his entire NFL career.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Zowert":31rlfjey said:
Who is going to trade for Matt Flynn though? The guy has been a backup his entire NFL career.

he's an unknown though. So technically that makes him a better option than a QB who is known to suck (weeden, cassel, kolb, gabbert, etc etc etc)

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I know Schneider is SAYING that he would prefer keeping Flynn as a backup to Wilson, but what else would anyone expect him to say?
Getting a backup QB that can mimic Wilsons every move, would be like trying to stack BB's while wearing boxing gloves.
GOD forbid Wilson missing any real time because of injury/illness, but I would rather the opposing Defenses have to completely re-tool for playing against a different style of play by our backup, than to keep playing against a Quarterback that cannot possibly play at the same level as Wilson, and would maybe only get himself injured trying to.
Wilson is unique, and it would serve the Seahawks better to get the O-line upgraded and squared up for BETTER pass protection, because THAT would help with WHOMEVER is playing as our QB.
One thing that is NOT being discussed in most of the postings I've read here on the .NET, is that Wilson is still growing his options of play, and I know it's hard to fathom, but he's going to get better as time goes on..He puts too much study and time into finding holes in Defensive sets,,I believe that that's one of the reasons we saw him get better as each game unfolded.....Year ONE is in the back of his mind ,and he's going to use the experience to his advantage.