Would you trade Russell Wilson, for Cam Newton?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • pantherfan23 wrote:I know as Seahawks fans the answer would (should) be "No, but Cam is 7 inches taller, 40 pounds heavier, just as fast, with a bigger arm and just as accurate. So..would you?

Nope,,Cerebrally, Wilson is way ahead of Newton, and too, people are still questioning just where Wilsons ceiling is.
    That 7 inches doesn't match up with the upside that Wilson has over Newton, or even RGIII,,Wilson is unique and a rarity because of his ability to digest information, and make it work to his advantage,,,You can't teach that stuff.
    And besides, even with those seven inches?, he still gets balls batted down.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• I don't know where you get the idea that Cam Newton is "JUST AS ACCURATE." The stats disprove this.

Cam Newton in Rookie year completed 60% of his passes (with a 7.8 YPA), in 2012 he completed 57% of his passes (with a 8.0 YPA).

Meanwhile RW has a 64% completion % while maintaining a 7.9 YPA. Russell Wilson is the more accurate QB, by a significant margin.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

• I think after this season, we have around half the league drooling over our quarterback and that "reach" we made in the third round of last year's draft... :D Even if we drafted Russ in the first round, we would still be laughing.

All the teams that drafted a QB in the 2012 draft (other than Luck and RG3) should be pretty pissed that they didn't think of Russell Wilson. Then you have the New York Jets who were actually looking to draft RW in the later rounds, LOL! They're screwed. They have Sanchez, who they've finally realized is a bust and Tebow, who should be on his way to the CFL (although someone in the NFL will end up - moronically - trading for him).

I can't even imagine RW in a Jets uniform, although he would've likely been picked up by them if he were available in the 5th round. No doubt in my mind, he would have beaten Sanchez and Tebow out of the starting job and the Jets would be a different team. I hope their F.O. and fans think about this. I hope this haunts them for the rest of their lives, and I think it will. Especially after Wilson beat them this season.
    ~ The Stache'
    Zowert
    NET Veteran

• I don't think this guys is trolling. This question is not as ridiculous as some people on here are suggesting. Think about how Panthers fans felt after Newton's rookie season. He had just had arguably the best rookie season of any QB ever. I think if you asked Panthers fans last year if they would trade Cam for anyone, they would have rightly turned you down. This year, he appeared to regress somewhat, but he was excellent in December. He is one of the most talented young QBs in the league, even if he did take a step back this year.

Bottom line is, we love our Russell, and perhaps OP likely did not quite realize the depths of the devotion. Surely he does now.
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

• Scottemojo wrote:
    pantherfan23 wrote:I know as Seahawks fans the answer would (should) be "No, but Cam is 7 inches taller, 40 pounds heavier, just as fast, with a bigger arm and just as accurate. So..would you?

Cam is twice the size, half the leader, and 1/10th the man.
    No way.

...and we have a winner!
    canucklhead
    NET Practice Squad

• Missing_Clink wrote:I don't think this guys is trolling. This question is not as ridiculous as some people on here are suggesting. Think about how Panthers fans felt after Newton's rookie season. He had just had arguably the best rookie season of any QB ever. I think if you asked Panthers fans last year if they would trade Cam for anyone, they would have rightly turned you down. This year, he appeared to regress somewhat, but he was excellent in December. He is one of the most talented young QBs in the league, even if he did take a step back this year.

Bottom line is, we love our Russell, and perhaps OP likely did not quite realize the depths of the devotion. Surely he does now.

Very true.

Its crazy because when the Seahawks drafted Russell Wilson in the third round, not a single one of my friends that are Hawks fans thought it was a good pick. Especially since we picked up Matt Flynn in free agency. Flynn was expected to be the franchise QB coming in, so drafting a backup quarterback in the third round. Actually many thought Russell Wilson was a 'project' QB. So a lot of people thought it was a reach to grab RW in the third round when there was still some good talent in positions of need left in the 3rd.

Actually, I had quite a few dedicated Seahawks fans/friends that were pissed off when RW was drafted. They told me we threw a third round pick away.. But today, they're all happily eating crow.
    ~ The Stache'
    Zowert
    NET Veteran

• No... but if you're looking for a short quarterback with lots of intangibles, why don't you give Detroit a call. They might make you a deal on Kellen Moore.
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

• Scottemojo wrote:
    pantherfan23 wrote:I know as Seahawks fans the answer would (should) be "No, but Cam is 7 inches taller, 40 pounds heavier, just as fast, with a bigger arm and just as accurate. So..would you?

No way.

That covers it Scottie.

A big, fat HELL NO!!

I wouldn't trade Russ for Cam and their best d-lineman or o-lineman or RB or.....Russ is VERY special and you simply do not let VERY special get away, EVER.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• Hell no
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• If science could put Russell's brain into Cam's scull then I'd take CamRusselstein. Until that's a possibuility I'm sticking with my man Russ. He may not be superman but he is the right man to get the job done.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

• brimsalabim wrote:If science could put Russell's brain into Cam's scull then I'd take CamRusselstein. Until that's a possibuility I'm sticking with my man Russ. He may not be superman but he is the right man to get the job done.

He's not superman, he's Clark Kent.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

• ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!

Russell is a leader, Cam Newton is a whiner.
    efried78
    NET Bench Warmer

• Why did you not make it a poll? The answer is a resounding NO
    Member of 38 Plus club. Seahawks + PC/JS + Russell Wilson = Superbowl XLVIII +
    rainger
    NET Veteran

• pantherfan23 wrote:I know as Seahawks fans the answer would (should) be "No, but Cam is 7 inches taller, 40 pounds heavier, just as fast, with a bigger arm and just as accurate. So..would you?

So was Ryan Leaf...what's your point. All that means nothing if you don't have the brains that God gave a piss ant.
    Schadie001
    NET Veteran

• Not that you need another "no" added onto the pile, but HELL NO! Not a chance. Not for any player.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• NO!

Back at you pantherfan....would you make the trade?
    GO SEAHAWKS!!
    grizrgood
    NET Practice Squad

• Wouldn't trade Little Russ for Cam Newton. Not for all the Newtons in the world.
    I wouldn't trade him for a magical egg and Cam. Not for a $1,000,000,000 and Cam. I would not trade him over here. I would not trade if I were there. I would not trade Russ anywhere. I would not trade for quick legged Cam. I would not trade R Wilson.. panther fan. :141847_bnono:
    Russ Willstrong
    NET Veteran

• No, they aren't even close. As everyone has said Cam is no leader and doesn't have the smarts.
    Timberhawk
    NET Rookie

• I read none of the prior posts, but wtf is there even to talk about for four pages on this ridiculous notion?
    KARAVARUS
    NET Veteran

• The panthers are the closest thing to a second team that I have. Newton will mature. When his maturity catches up with his talent great things will happen to him and the panthers.

I could see him winning maybe one SB, but it won't be in the next 3 years or probably 5.
    CaptainSkybeard
    NET Veteran

• Russ Willstrong wrote:Wouldn't trade Little Russ for Cam Newton. Not for all the Newtons in the world.
    I wouldn't trade him for a magical egg and Cam. Not for a $1,000,000,000 and Cam. I would not trade him over here. I would not trade if I were there. I would not trade Russ anywhere. I would not trade for quick legged Cam. I would not trade R Wilson.. panther fan. :141847_bnono:

I see what you did there...

:3-1:
    NorCalHawk12
    NET Veteran

• HELL NO!!!!!!
    Kixkahn
    NET Veteran

• free post
    GO HAWKS!!!
    Twisted
    NET Veteran

• NO
    Termite
    NET Practice Squad

• Hawkspur wrote:
    Hawknballs wrote:I'm not sure I would trade Wilson for any player in the NFL if I had the choice.

This is where I'm at too.

I wouldn't trade him for any player. Period. End of story. So, so, so glad the kid is a Hawk.
    "I want to drink Ranier Beer out of a mug made from Jim harbaugh's hollowed out skull." CANHAWK
    sam1313
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• Honestly at the start of the season I would have said yes, at the end.....not a chance.
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• I find it interesting that the big rage a few years ago is now being doubted, a small 3rd round career back up for the number one pick and rookie of the year.

Seems that there is something about that after thought reach of a pick that is special, even from places that have supposedly locks to be great players.

I think we will keep him though.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• At one time YES! Not no more.....
    Cam can keep his "superman" bull in. Carolina. Give me a guy who acts like he's been in the end zone before and hands the ball back to the ref any day.

Lil Wilson's skills will continue to GROW. Cam has peaked and his potential is capped .
    Yes, I'm a midwest Seahawks fan..... NO, I'm not going to explain why to you.
    Daytomann
    NET Veteran

• Never.
    For tevaris maybe, I just dislike Scam that much.
    Too self absorbed
    Chapman
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• rainger wrote:Why did you not make it a poll? The answer is a resounding NO

Poll would have taken less space. Results just as predictable.
    Grahamhawker
    NET Starter

• Hell Yea I would!!!!

:sarcasm_off:
    "If we lose ... this place will be a Carnival of Stupidity." FlyingGreg
    Fudwamper
    NET Veteran

• Scottemojo wrote:

No way.

+1000
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

• FWIW though, I'd take Newton over Luck and maybe RG3.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Wilson has a mental toughness and maturity that Cam has yet to exhibit. Based on his physical attributes, Cam is somebody I would have loved to see in a Seahawks uniform LAST YEAR! We have now been spoiled by a season's worth of exposure to a great football player who seems to be an even better human being! Somehow, I can't ever see Russell pompously calling a female reporter "sweetheart" because he doesn't like the question (and the implied critism that went with it)
    canfan
    NET Rookie

Previous

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:16 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information