Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Post subject: It benefits NFL coordinators to lose in the playoffs...
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:44 am 
NET Veteran

Did anyone see this article? I thought it was an interesting perspective on the NFL's hiring process. If a coordinator's ultimate goal is to be head coach, and they're currently being considered for the position, why would they want to continue in the playoffs and risk being passed up for another guy that isn't in the playoffs? NFL teams with coaching vacancies seem to want to hire ASAP. And, as the article states, coordinators rarely get hired as head coach after being in the SuperBowl the previous year.

To me, it makes me wonder if coordinators would purposely lose a game to increase their probability of being hired.

Interestingly, both McCoy (Denver) and Bradley (Seattle) were coaches on teams that everyone expected to go much further than they did...

It would be nice if the NFL would institute a rule that firing/hiring cannot happen until the playoffs are completely over so that coordinators would not be faced with this dilemma.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1480 ... e-playoffs

Post subject: Re: It benefits NFL coordinators to lose in the playoffs...
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:46 am 
NET Veteran

OMG! Dan Levy from the bleacherreport.com wrote this article. Huge fan here!

:sarcasm_on:

Follow me on twitter: @seahawks_fan12

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:47 am 
* NET Staff Alumni *
* NET Staff Alumni *

I didn't click the link....no explanation necessary :lol:

I don't think any coordinator would ever lose a game on purpose to help their job prospects. This, IMO is just ridiculous. Any coordinator who may become a head coach one day, will get the promotion eventually, whether or not they win or lose any particular playoff game. if a team wants that person bad enough, they will wait. If not, they will be in line for the next round of HC vacancies.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:49 am 
NET Veteran

Why would they drop a game and pass up on a chance to say they got to the Super Bowl and/or Won it.

Sounds ridiculous.

OH! Bleacher Report. :thumbdown:

Go Hawks.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:52 am 
* NET Radish *

It used to be teams couldn't talk to other teams coaches & staff before they were through playing for the year. Don't know when that changed.

But its a huge disadvantage to good coaches whose teams are still playing for the big prize.

Its obvious to me that the NFL has already turned the corner on Pete Carroll & his ideas, and are doing all they can to immulate our success. All of a sudden college coaches and late round picks are getting more attention than ever.

Is it immulate or emmulate?

:D

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:52 am 
NET Veteran

Didn't know Bleacher Report was a bad source :o But it still seems like a topic that should be brought up...

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:55 am 
* NET Radish *

gw232 wrote:
Didn't know Bleacher Report was a bad source :o But it still seems like a topic that should be brought up...

Not to worry,,they are not to popular here but still have their moments. And but give a monkey a typewriter and eventually they will type a word. lol

:les:

Welcome to Seahawks.net by the way.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:57 am 
* NET Staff Alumni *
* NET Staff Alumni *

gw232 wrote:

Sometimes the bleacher report can have something of interest, but this seriously smells of conspiracy theory and something that doesn't even give a hint of reality IMO

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:03 am 
NET Veteran

Maybe you're right, but the pay increase can be in the magnitude of millions of dollars. Ring or millions of dollars? Hmm.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:16 pm 
NET Veteran

gw232 wrote:

Today's system/timing for interviewing and hiring new coaches is a compromise that is the best available option.

No way could all the interviews and hirings wait after the playoffs are over.

That would be asinine.

Moved to Seattle in 1980. Hawks fan for 34 years and counting.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:16 pm 
NET Rookie

Interesting article and point made.

I wonder if you polled the OC/DC coaches who have not yet been HCs, would they A) give up playing in the SB to become a headcoach or B) pass on being a HC to have an opportunity to play in SB.

The politically correct answer of course is B, but I wouldnt be surprised to here some A's.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:19 pm 
NET Practice Squad

kidhawk wrote:
I didn't click the link....no explanation necessary :lol:

I don't think any coordinator would ever lose a game on purpose to help their job prospects. This, IMO is just ridiculous. Any coordinator who may become a head coach one day, will get the promotion eventually, whether or not they win or lose any particular playoff game. if a team wants that person bad enough, they will wait. If not, they will be in line for the next round of HC vacancies.

This!

Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:55 am 
NET Veteran

onanygivensunday wrote:
gw232 wrote:

Today's system/timing for interviewing and hiring new coaches is a compromise that is the best available option.

No way could all the interviews and hirings wait after the playoffs are over.

That would be asinine.

I don't see why the coaching hires can't wait till after the Super Bowl. It still gives you all of February and March to bring in your new guy before the draft.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:00 am 
*NET FCC Liaison*

kidhawk wrote:
I don't think any coordinator would ever lose a game on purpose to help their job prospects. This, IMO is just ridiculous.

This is akin to saying people would never be unethical to try and benefit themselves. Yeah, I'm sure it'd never happen...

*He can change a win into a loss.
*He can change a loss into a win by getting injured.
*RedAlice is right.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:54 am 
* NET Staff Alumni *
* NET Staff Alumni *

RolandDeschain wrote:
kidhawk wrote:
I don't think any coordinator would ever lose a game on purpose to help their job prospects. This, IMO is just ridiculous.

This is akin to saying people would never be unethical to try and benefit themselves. Yeah, I'm sure it'd never happen...

If it were a quid pro quo situation, I could see it as a much larger possibility, but these guys are already allowed to interview for the jobs, and can even go so far as to accept a job and walk away if they so choose. None have walked away from a playoff game, so what makes you think that they'd rather lose on purpose? Can they be distracted enough to perhaps cause them to not be as prepared? Sure, but lose on purpose to MAYBE start a job a week or 2 sooner? Doesn't make any kind of sense.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:57 am 
*NET FCC Liaison*

Haven't you ripped politicians in the PWR forum for having conflicting interests? Well, being able to interview while still coaching active games is a conflict of interest.

Some employers are desperate for new employees to start immediately, because they have someone else waiting in the wings that they'll lose if they can't get their #1 for sure in a very quick time frame. It's entirely feasible that this may happen from time to time. I didn't say it was likely, or that I thought it happens every year, or anything like that.

*He can change a win into a loss.
*He can change a loss into a win by getting injured.
*RedAlice is right.

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]