Can't let it go: Late snap end of 1st half was in time

makkapakka

Reaction score
Just watched the replay frame-by-frame. Seems to me the ball is in Wilson's hand 1 frame with the time at 0:01.

Even for those that might not agree, at the very least why not let the play run and then review it?

Not lined up properly? Fine then call a penalty. I didn't see anyone moving at the snap.

Not sure why the play doesn't get more attention than it has. It's a touchdown IMO.

Jake Hawks

Reaction score
The officials keep the official time. The game clock on the screen can be slightly off. They mentioned this in the Rams game I think.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
pretty sure the explanation is the broadcast clock and the actual in-house game clock were out of synch. That or maybe the ball was snapped withou our guys getting lined up properly.

not sure.

i was in a state of shock at that point.

OP
OP
M

makkapakka

Reaction score
Jake Hawks":27aaewr2 said:
The officials keep the official time. The game clock on the screen can be slightly off. They mentioned this in the Rams game I think.

Alright fair point I guess. But come on... it's 2013. We can have virtual first down lines on the broadcast. Why not the official time?

hawker232

Reaction score
Yeah, it's too bad these kinda plays aren't reviewable during the game. Maybe could have been over turned. I personally haven't given the play much attention.

OP
OP
M

makkapakka

Reaction score
BlueTalon":ednnb9ms said:
The first down lines aren't official either.

Witty but beside the point. Anyone think the technology to put the "official time" on the screen is not within the NFL's grasp? If it's not the official time it seems to me this is by choice.

Twisted

Reaction score
Jake Hawks":nrp4easm said:

not, the clock in front of the QB is the official time, if the clock in front of the QB is wrong its up to officials to fix it..

lol, you cant have official time and game time be different without allowing payers to see what the official time is as well, thats what the game clock is for..

nice try though

zebras robbed Hawks on more than one occasion but I don't even bother mentioning it anymore, the league wants a failed zebra ran league thats what they get, don't expect my support to be any more than watching games and turning the channel during commercials, its purely entertainment for me

I got that way since the very first robbery the officials committed when they said the interception against the oilers in the playoffs way back wasn't an interception, before IR and red flags

it was nothing but an above average poor call that robbed a team of advancing that it certainly deserved all going unsung and ignored by the league..

it was at that point I realized there is a certain amount of corruption in this sport and I don't support or condone corruption, like to see the Hawks win for the players and fans but thats about it for me...

BLAH on the league

on a side note, the deterioration of credible officials in college football is prevalent these days as well, I recently watched 2 post season games and it was just as blatant and miscued as the NFL, again with ZERO mention, at least at certain times some former player announcers will straight say, "that was a horrible call" I only wish they could take it one step further, instead you have idiots at ESPN that ruined any chance of legit officiating by claiming a proper call was improper.. sad and ignorant

I say revoke ESPNs rights to the NFL as a starter.. pathetic and unwatchable IMHO

OP
OP
M

makkapakka

Reaction score
tooshort":d2aohb9g said:
watching the Gdome clock from my seats in the second row at the 11 yard line on that side of the field...yessir it did expire :pukeface:

Thanks that does help me let it go.

But I still don't get why the official time is not on the broadcast.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
makkapakka":2rg8mfgv said:
BlueTalon":2rg8mfgv said:

Witty but beside the point. Anyone think the technology to put the "official time" on the screen is not within the NFL's grasp? If it's not the official time it seems to me this is by choice.

He's not being witty at all. What you see on TV is absolutely meaningless. They could put unicorns on the TV, doesn't mean they will help Kaepernick get a new nose.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
makkapakka":hpxk9ap7 said:
BlueTalon":hpxk9ap7 said:

If they keep the official time on the field, what exactly do you propose? Another flimsy technical link between the refs' timepieces and the scoreboard? And what happens if that fails?

As much as I would love technical perfection (and as much as I think there are a lot of ways that football can be improved technically), this is the sort of thing that just isn't that big of a deal most of the time. Not enough to warrant that amount of trouble and risk it would involve.

fuego

Reaction score
Ir doesn't matter. It was said the the O wasn't set and there would have been a penalty anyway and a 10 second runoff ending the quarter anyway.

Not to mention, the only reason the defender bailed on the receiver that caught the ball was because they had already blown it dead. He was standing right by the referee. I watched it several times. As soon as the referees blow it dead he bails and heads across the field. And you can't take a sack in that situation, although to be fair to Wilson the defender was on him so quick he had no time to react.

OP
OP
M

makkapakka

Reaction score
BlueTalon":37kvy829 said:
makkapakka":37kvy829 said:
BlueTalon":37kvy829 said:

If they keep the official time on the field, what exactly do you propose? Another flimsy technical link between the refs' timepieces and the scoreboard? And what happens if that fails?

As much as I would love technical perfection (and as much as I think there are a lot of ways that football can be improved technically), this is the sort of thing that just isn't that big of a deal most of the time. Not enough to warrant that amount of trouble and risk it would involve.

Yes, for the sake of the millions of fans watching on TV I propose they muster the technology to put the official time up. If it fails it can say 'Failed' or something. At least then as a viewer I know.

Jake Hawks

Reaction score
Twisted":19ylriq5 said:
Jake Hawks":19ylriq5 said:

not, the clock in front of the QB is the official time, if the clock in front of the QB is wrong its up to officials to fix it..

lol, you cant have official time and game time be different without allowing payers to see what the official time is as well, thats what the game clock is for..

nice try though
we're talking about the time on the screen. not what the quarterback sees at the end of the field.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
makkapakka":5etw1c2y said:
Yes, for the sake of the millions of fans watching on TV I propose they muster the technology to put the official time up. If it fails it can say 'Failed' or something. At least then as a viewer I know.
Honestly, why is this a big deal? You brought up the 1st down lines they show on TV -- does it bother you when they remind you that these are unofficial? The only time it's even relevant is if the play is close, and then they take pains to do a measurement on the field, and explain in the broadcast booth that the lines are unofficial. Same thing with time. It's never really an issue until there is split-second timing involved, and then they explain it in the booth and show the replays, etc.

"Mustering the technology" in this case doesn't really benefit the league or the networks at all, and it's not enough of a benefit to most viewers most of the time to justify messing with it.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Leaving aside the misguided notion that the refs somehow robbed us this last week and that in a mystical fantasy world we "should" have won... Isn't it possible that refs make mistakes because they are imperfect and highly fallible and not because of a conspiracy or corruption?

Not saying there's no corruption in the sport but so many of these "screw jobs" are such close plays in real time that it seems ridiculous that we assume they must have been miscalled.

Also, time ran out. No conspiracy or missed call.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
they could have just pretended that the other "official clock " was at 0 to avoid controversy. but who cares

we had the lead with 30 seconds left . and we lost.

The Radish

Reaction score
For about the 20th time, the offensive line was not set at the snap so there was no play. if that had been called there would have been a 10 second runoff,,,(game over).

:roll: