Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Post subject: This team is missing a leader on defense.
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:36 am 
* NET News Scoop *
* NET News Scoop *

A caller on Brock and Salk just made a GREAT point, in my opinion.

A leader is someone that instills confidence in the team when things are on the line. A leader instills a sense of calm to the men around him, and by leading them by example, they follow suit. Many times this year, Russell has rallied the offense, taken them on his shoulders and has -- like clockwork -- taken us down the field to win the game.

The times we have lost this year, our defense couldn't close out the game. For lack of words, they choked. It has happened a lot -- and it happened in the Chicago game, too, but Russell took it out of our defense's hands and won the game himself.

I believe in my heart of hearts that this team is lacking a personality like Russell's on defense. Someone who is out on the field with the rest of the guys that eliminates doubt. It is not just happenstance that our defense has choked under pressure repeatedly. Fool me once, shame on you -- fool me twice, shame on me. It is obvious that something is missing.

You can blame the coaching or playcalling, but players should make plays with the game on the line.

I'm hoping Bobby is that individual and can grow as a leader as he ages, but you could see in his body language during the Falcons game (especially after giving up the catch to Tony G. to put the Falcons in FG range) that he was visibly upset and it was in his head.

No one has really emerged in this defense as a leader, a Ray Lewis, have you. Sherman is confident, but he doesn't strike me as the type that rallies people together like a field general.

Thoughts? Agree? Disagree?

Post subject: Re: This team is missing a leader on defense.
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:38 am 
NET Veteran

From everything I hear, Red Bryant is that guy. I know he's been a whipping boy around here as of late, but sounds like he's a real leader for this defense.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:39 am 
NET Pro Bowler

I thought Red Bryant was that, but he kind of has seemed quiet over the last half of the year. I haven't seen him rallying the troops like he did last year.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:39 am 
*Hawk Junk Junkie*
*Hawk Junk Junkie*

I agree about Red being a leader type, however just seems right that the leader of a defense should be a linebacker.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:40 am 
NET Veteran

Red is definitely the leader of this defense

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:41 am 
NET Veteran

I think part of that may be due to his injury. Judging by Pete's presser yesterday, it seems Red was in a lot more pain than any of us realized.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:50 am 
NET Veteran

We could definitely use another vocal leader. It's another reason why I hope there's some way we get Sheldon Richardson. He'll make himself heard...

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:51 am 
NET Veteran

HawkFan72 wrote:
I thought Red Bryant was that, but he kind of has seemed quiet over the last half of the year. I haven't seen him rallying the troops like he did last year.

Can't rally the troops when you are playing like crap.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:51 am 
* The Doc *
* The Doc *

I would agree that there needs to be a leader and it should be the MLB. Tough to have your leader be the secondary or the DL, the guy in the middle taking hits to stop the run or dropping in coverage and making plays can relate with both roles in the defense. A solid OLB like a Derrick Brooks probably could be a good leader. Just tough to have a DL be your leader if he is off the field on a 3rd of the plays.

If you look at the losses this year, all on the road plus the Chicago game the majority of them were due to the defense not being able to hold a lead late (Rams not so much, Dolphins game they let them drive late to take the winning FG). Even after a dramatic late game drive by the offense. This to me in hindsight seemed like the defense had exhaled and weren't fired up to hold the lead. Contrast that with the GB and Patriots games. When the defense was keyed up to make a stop, they did.

The missing key to me was emotion or a leader kicking these guys up a notch. If Wagner can become that somehow, I think the team's fortunes go up a notch. Right now KJ and Wagner seem more quiet assassin types but lets see what happens next season.

Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:53 am 
NET Veteran

Lawyer Milloy type of leader

Follow me on twitter: @seahawks_fan12

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:53 am 
*BRONZE SUPPORTER*
*BRONZE SUPPORTER*

The real leader will be a guy who can do like sherm but we need one on the dline

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:54 am 
NET Veteran

I think Sherman IS that leader, but of the Secondary only.
The opponents that face the Seahawks Defense, know that they have to get it done up front because Sherman & Co. has taken away the back half of the field.
The Seahawks know that they are lacking for putting pressure on the Quarterbacks, or consistently stopping the run, and that's the reason Pete is okay with Sherman running off at the mouth,,He (Pete) uses the strength of the Secondary to cover up for the defeciencies of the front four.
So the asertion that there is no leader for the Defense is half true as I see it.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:55 am 
[[ .NET Godfather ]]

Wagner is a great player but is too quiet to be that fired up leader we want. Red is the guy but as you guys have stated, he kind of faded out the last month of the year due to injury. I totally concur with the OP...This defense needs a powerful presence that wills them to greatness in the most critical situations.

"We're about to be legendary." - Richard Sherman to the Seahawks sideline in the 3rd quarter of SBXLVIII

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:57 am 
NET Veteran

razgriz737 wrote:
From everything I hear, Red Bryant is that guy. I know he's been a whipping boy around here as of late, but sounds like he's a real leader for this defense.

I don't agree, and I don't say that as a slight to Big Red, it's just that I see him as "The Anchor" of the Dline,,Or why do the Seahawks use Wagner to shout out the Defensive sets?

Last edited by scutterhawk on Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:58 am 
NET Veteran

scutterhawk wrote:
The opponents that face the Seahawks Defense, know that they have to get it done up front because Sherman & Co. has taken away the back half of the field.
The Seahawks know that they are lacking for putting pressure on the Quarterbacks, or consistently stopping the run, and that's the reason Pete is okay with Sherman running off at the mouth,,He (Pete) uses the strength of the Secondary to cover up for the defeciencies of the front four.
So the asertion that there is no leader for the Defense is half true as I see it.

This...but I agree, it seems like its only with the LOB. I've seen many a times when Sherman would gather the guys and try to rally them. You could definitely sense that, especially when he was Mic'd up.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:14 pm 
NET Veteran

The first Rams game and the first 49ers game are the ONLY TWO TIMES THIS YEAR WE DID NOT HAVE A LEAD IN THE 4TH QUARTER. Next year completes the 4 year plan, should be very fun to watch.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:19 pm 
NET Rookie

Only thing this defense needs is Henry Melton... or a draft pick that can take up that kind of crushing role in the interior.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:22 pm 
NET Veteran

I think Red is the vocal, rah rah leader of the D, but I can't shake the feeling that Earl Thomas has a significant role in defensive leadership.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:53 pm 
* Gangnameister *

volsunghawk wrote:
I think Red is the vocal, rah rah leader of the D, but I can't shake the feeling that Earl Thomas has a significant role in defensive leadership.

I was going to say the same damn thing. It's Earl's defense now IMO, especially after two great performances in the playoffs.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:55 pm 
*SILVER SUPPORTER*
*SILVER SUPPORTER*

scutterhawk wrote:
razgriz737 wrote:

I don't agree, and I don't say that as a slight to Big Red, it's just that I see him as "The Anchor" of the Dline,,Or why do the Seahawks use Wagner to shout out the Defensive sets?

Because that's part of the role of the mike LB in this defense. And because the mike can better see what the offense is doing than a guy with his hand in the dirt can.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:55 pm 
* Natural Rubbing Action *

Sherman is that leader. And next year it'll show more than this year.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:57 pm 
NET Veteran

Clems was one of the leaders on the defense.

We need a mike robb on defense.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:40 pm 
NET Starter

I posted on this topic previously, to get sense of what others thought about the leadership on this team on both sides of the ball as well as special teams.

Link

Defense - other than Red Bryant seems to be the most undefined area of somebody stepping into a leadership role and could definitely benefit from a veteran presence, although it would be great for are young players to elevate that area of their roles

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:45 pm 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*

Shouldn't the leader of the defense be a three down player?

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:58 pm 
NET Veteran

Sherman is the leader. Listen to him when he was mic'ed

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:50 pm 
NET Rookie

Just had this topic on the radio and the hosts said that Clemons was a vocal leader this year on defense.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:55 pm 
NET Veteran

scutterhawk wrote:

this ^^^^^ all the mic'd up's and behind the scenes footage all show that Sherman is for sure the secondary leader..

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:07 pm 
* The Doc *
* The Doc *

GoHawks wrote:
I posted on this topic previously, to get sense of what others thought about the leadership on this team on both sides of the ball as well as special teams.

Link

Nice write-up. You put it in that vast wasteland known as the NFL Forum when it should have been put here in the main forum (for those of us that are anal retentive). :th2thumbs:

Good job!

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:07 pm 
NET Starter

Ideally what we need is a Russell Wilson in our LB'ing crew, a vocal player that has a relentless drive to succeed, great work ethic, and can motivate the defense

But do we obtain that with an aged veteran or with a younger but mature player in that position with attributes similar to RW?

Or, that player may already be on our team, and just hasn't evolved into the role yet?

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:12 pm 
* The Doc *
* The Doc *

Just seems to me that your leader on defense has to be the middle LB. Kam could also be it but he seems more like a silent assassin.

I just don't see Wagner as a vocal leader yet.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:48 pm 
* NET Draft Guru *

Note: The following is based off of interviews and tweets. So it's not based on much.

ET and Wagner both strike me as quiet. Friendly and social, don't get me wrong, but they're not Ray Lewis. Both seem to be "lead by example" types, though. You need those type of guys to be great players.

Red is probably the most vocal leader. Sherman brings the swagger the same way Giacomini brings the toughness. I agree that we could use some additional leadership here, but I don't think that leadership is a weakness on D.

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]