Tom Cable as OC?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Tom Cable as OC?
Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:16 am
  • Why is this not getting talked about more? I'm not too much in the know about Cable but wasn't he the play caller in Oakland? Or is he just a pure o-line/running game type of coach?

I remember some posters discussing that it was actually Cable who helped put the option into our offense. I also think Miller could be huge for us in a Tom Cable offense, like pro bowl TE huge (kinda just like he was in Oakland)
    amill87
    NET Veteran

Re: Tom Cable as OC?
Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:17 am
  • That's what would occur, IMO.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:19 am
  • I'm cool with that.
    Bremwahawk
    NET Bench Warmer

Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:20 am
  • Obviously Wilson can hurt you with his feet, but he will make his career on his arm. We need an OC that can foster his development in the passing game and I'm not sure Cable is that guy.
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:22 am
  • AbsolutNET wrote:Obviously Wilson can hurt you with his feet, but he will make his career on his arm. We need an OC that can foster his development in the passing game and I'm not sure Cable is that guy.

Oh I agree. Wilson is not Kaep or RG3. He will win championships because of how well he can pass.

But that's kind of what I was getting at. Cable is the easy choice but is he really the best choice for us?
    amill87
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:24 am
  • It would be an interesting choice, as long as he remains O-Line coach as well.

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:27 am
  • AbsolutNET wrote:Obviously Wilson can hurt you with his feet, but he will make his career on his arm. We need an OC that can foster his development in the passing game and I'm not sure Cable is that guy.

I've said it a million times here. Hue Jackson? He was Cable's OC in Oakland and they were able to keep the Raiders "vertical passing game" in affect while using the run to absolutely destroy opposing defenses. Remember how many injuries the Hawks walked away with after the Oakland road game in 2010? Also, Jason Campbell had his best season under the 2 and Wilson is obviously lightyears ahead of the player Jason Campbell ever was or will be. Plus, Jackson has the mentality and mindsight that this team is looking for. Doubt it happens but I hope he at least gets an interview if Bevell goes elsewhere.
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:31 am
  • I love Cable, to the point that I'd be willing to concede A LOT in order to keep him around but...

Do you guys think he's got the prowess and aggressiveness in the passing attack to satisfy the fanbase? Not that that is what it should come down to, but there has been a lot of hand wringing around here over the play calling, specifically for how vanilla Bevell was, and if memory serves, Cable's offenses in Oakland were just as plain, if not more so.

Any concern over this?
    SirTed
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:33 am
  • I could be completely out to lunch on this but my thought is Cable would be a conservative play caller. What we need with Wilson, to take full advantage of his skill set, is an open and innovative offense. Wilson has displayed that he has the work ethic and intelligence to master any offensive scheme. Let's use that to the fullest. We have the ground game to keep defenses honest to the point where we can do some really ground breaking stuff to blow the game up. I want an OC that thinks that way.

Or like I said I could be completely out to lunch.
    " Living on Earth isn't cheap, but it does include a yearly free trip around the sun."
    v1rotv2
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:33 am
  • Nope. O line asst HC for me. When I lived in cali a lot of my coworkees were raids. They hate his play calling. If I remember they took those duties from him and gave them to Hue Jackson before he was fired.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:37 am

Quarterback coach?..........
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:39 am
  • Starting to think that I want Bevell to stay as OC just for continuity sake.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:48 am

This
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:49 am
  • Hope we keep both Bevell and Cable, not at all sad to see Bradley go.
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:57 am
  • amill87 wrote:Why is this not getting talked about more? I'm not too much in the know about Cable but wasn't he the play caller in Oakland? Or is he just a pure o-line/running game type of coach?

I remember some posters discussing that it was actually Cable who helped put the option into our offense. I also think Miller could be huge for us in a Tom Cable offense, like pro bowl TE huge (kinda just like he was in Oakland)

It's discussed after every loss because Bevell only sucks when we lose.
    Give me some damn skittles...
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:09 am
  • Why not Norv Turner?
    Seahawk_Dan
    NET Rookie

Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:12 am
  • Has he ever been an OC before?
    Seaswab
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:13 am
  • Seahawk_Dan wrote:Why not Norv Turner?

He's got the yips.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:16 am

People would scoff, but actually this would be a great hire. It wont happen (IMO) because I don't think Turner has the right personality to work WITH this staff, but he's a great QB coach.
    SirTed
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:18 am
  • Basis4day wrote:
    amill87 wrote:Why is this not getting talked about more? I'm not too much in the know about Cable but wasn't he the play caller in Oakland? Or is he just a pure o-line/running game type of coach?

It's discussed after every loss because Bevell only sucks when we lose.

Riiiiggghhhht. Bevell is actually aboce criticism. Anyone that does, obviously doesn't understand the game, like you do.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:25 am
  • Bring back Zorn as OC.
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:26 am
  • Blitzer88 wrote:Starting to think that I want Bevell to stay as OC just for continuity sake.

I would Bevell to stay at least one more year before we starting changing things on offense too much.

We have an offense that was lights out for basically 13 weeks - let's keep that momentum going.
    Driver of the PC/JS Super Bowl wagon since 2010
    Sherman looks like a ballet master in grand jeté –
    a trash-talking, dreadlocked Baryshnikov suspended
    impossibly above the turf – pro football's paean to
    wanton human destruction slips into the sublime.
    TDOTSEAHAWK
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:31 am

He'd be a tremendous hire IMO and is not getting another HC job...... ever probably
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:44 am
  • Wenhawk wrote:Bring back Zorn as OC.

Wasn't he QB coach in KC last year? He'd likely be on the street once Andy brings in his own people. I'm neither for nor against it, but Zorn is likely to be available. The Hue Jackson idea is an interesting one as well (just don't let him make any trades).
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:49 am
  • Norv Turner would do wonderful things with Russell Wilson. I think him focusing on only the offense and not dealing with the entire team would be a great thing for him, especially with how often they under performed in a garbage division.

I think promoting Tom Cable as OC would put us back into the run first era and RW has shown us we should throw to open up the run, not vice versa. I like him focusing on the big men upfront and the running game more.

I'd be curious to know how much the evolution of our offense was due to RW and I hope whatever happens, we keep the read option.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:05 pm
  • Didn't Norv Turner trade Drew Brees to N.O. for Rivers? Did he do that because Brees is short? He's supposed to be a QB guru as I recall.
    <--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--> GO SEAHAWKS <--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--><-->
    CamanoIslandJQ
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:08 pm
  • CamanoIslandJQ wrote:Didn't Norv Turner trade Drew Brees to N.O. for Rivers? Did he do that because Brees is short? He's supposed to be a QB guru as I recall.

Wow.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:14 pm
  • mistaowen wrote:Norv Turner would do wonderful things with Russell Wilson.

I don't think Norv would be a good fit here, he's too set in his ways. Pete IMO would rather have a younger coordinator that's more open minded about schemes and play calling.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:16 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    mistaowen wrote:Norv Turner would do wonderful things with Russell Wilson.

I don't think Norv would be a good fit here, he's too set in his ways. Pete IMO would rather have a younger coordinator that's more open minded about schemes and play calling.

Wow.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:21 pm
  • CamanoIslandJQ wrote:Didn't Norv Turner trade Drew Brees to N.O. for Rivers? Did he do that because Brees is short? He's supposed to be a QB guru as I recall.

I'm pretty sure they let Brees go because of the shoulder injury. The market for Brees was pretty small for the same reason.

Edit: They did franchise him once after drafting Rivers, however.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:32 pm
  • v1rotv2 wrote:I could be completely out to lunch on this but my thought is Cable would be a conservative play caller. What we need with Wilson, to take full advantage of his skill set, is an open and innovative offense. Wilson has displayed that he has the work ethic and intelligence to master any offensive scheme. Let's use that to the fullest. We have the ground game to keep defenses honest to the point where we can do some really ground breaking stuff to blow the game up. I want an OC that thinks that way.

Or like I said I could be completely out to lunch.

Lunch?, what we having?,, I agree that in order to get the maximum out of Wilson, you have to give him the right system, but here's a thought that I have been rolling around in my mind for awhile now,,,How about this?
    Wilson is percieved by many to having the mindsett of a Player/Coach ,SO, why not let him be involved in the set up proccess?, I mean who better to putting together an offensive strategy that the field General himself.
    If this seems far fetched, then why have him use audibles to getting players positioned for a particular play?, because like Manning, Wilson can speed read Defensive sets.
    Some will argue that he's fresh out of Rookie World,,and I don't know about Y'all, but he's unlike any Rook Quarterback I've ever seen.
    Cerebral (ahem) smart, AND I think Pete has been blown away with the maturity of this kid ,and his understanding of the game of Football.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:13 pm

No. Brees went to New Orleans in 2006. Turner went to San Diego in 2007.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:53 pm
  • One of the things I trust Pete the most with are his coaching hires. I'm sure whoever he brings in, it will be a feel good hire in not too long.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:56 pm
  • Norv Turner is going to be the Browns new O.C.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:34 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information